Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
LOL that's pretty much exactly what the recipe is! I'll try your proportions next time, though I don't have a micro wave - I'll try to bake it. These were a thicker mixture to roll out but I think the thinner one might work better. I just made them and they are YUMMY! Only 6g of carbs for the WHOLE lot of them?? Crazy. I need to break them up into individual size servings and baggie them.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #662
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
remeber that is net carbs and there is a lot of fiber in there so please don't go nuts eating them or we will be hearing about a huge scale weight gain as that fiber holds water in your gut as it moves through.
I used 1T water 1T flkax meal to make a cracker that is very thin and very crunchie.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #663
Major LCF Poster!

Good advice!!! I hope one serving is ok...that should be 1 net carb but I think a TON of fiber. The recipe is 1 cup of flax, so that would be 1/6 cup, which is...(math is not my forte)...2.67 TBSP per serving. So that would be like 2 and a half of your crackers. What do you think?

I USED to eat daily 40 to 60g of fiber and didn't have any issues with that...now I'm not sure how LC will affect fiber on the way out lol.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #664
Big Yapper!!!!

most low carbers have the issues with watersoluble fibers that are added to the diet in OWL holding fluid pounds as it moves through you. your previous diet had a stable fluid mass in your intestines so you didn't see much scale weight adding but inductees who discover flax and go nuts eating that 1/4 cup 1 min muffin have an issue with flax "stalling" them cause it holds a few pounds of water as it moves through and since they haven't been eating fiber it moves slowly and every muffin adds about a pound to their gut total.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #665
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
How're you doing, Rach? Hey--I don't know if I've paid attention to your stats before, but congratulations on 43 pounds! That is so great.

Awe thanks!! I'm doing very well. It feels good to eat this simple, this is now day 3 of really eating nothing but eggs, meat, salad veggies, limited hard cheeses and fats. I was on plan before this and did well with whole foods, but I have cut out some of the little extras to get a clean start for OWL. I'm doing my best to keep my daily count right around 20 grams. Next week I will drink 4 ounces of milk (for the first time this year!) to move up. Yay milk. It's the little things

"The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously." - Henry Kissinger

Stage 3, workout #6 of New Rules of Lifting/Women COMPLETED
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #666
Major LCF Poster!

Wow Rachel! Great loss! And really in such a short time! It looks like you are well on your way to meeting your vacation goal...where are you going??

Peanutte - I suck at the quote things, but you said "It's funny that you mention these feelings because I have been thinking about how to come up with some very accessible strategies for dealing with that stressful "not in control of my environment" stuff. I don't know if I have anything useful yet. I'm trying to plan in advance for this trip to be in my sister's wedding, a month from now."
We'll have to brainstorm together. Are you staying in a hotel or with your family? Are they supportive of your way of eating?

2big - thanks for the warning again on the flax; I def. retained some water, but I'm pretty confident it's not water and I decided not to freak out during my first month or two of lifting because 1) I know working my muscles they will retain water, and 2) because I have so much body fat I probably will build muscle faster at first and lose fat at the same time, so that may weigh a bit more. So if I continue to eat the flax stuff, will it start to "regulate" or will I continually hold the water?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #667
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
We'll have to brainstorm together. Are you staying in a hotel or with your family? Are they supportive of your way of eating?
It's not where most of my family lives, so we're all flying in and staying in a hotel. The hotel has--wait-for it--Continental breakfast. Oh joy; that's useless to me. I won't have a car and I'm extremely anxious about what I will be able to eat. It's not in the States so I don't know what I can bring across the border, in terms of Travel Food. I just am dreading this.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #668
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm ok...so where are you on the ladder right now?

Depending...

Breakfast: I would bring a jar of PB or something similar, maybe a soy bean butter or whatever. Sneak in apples or buy them at a store there. I bet they have a microwave so if you eat it, bring peperoni (I'm not sure what's on your list and what's not, sorry if these don't work for ya!), you can make chips. If you eat it, you could make your own protein bars to take. If you are eating nuts and maybe dry your own apples or cranberries, you could make a trail mix. Buy raw eggs and cook them in the micro!

Lunch: Bring a can of tuna and jar of mayo plus a dozen hardboiled eggs. Request a room with a fridge and bring a tupperware bowl or 6 and a fork. Buy cheese when you get there or bring it with you. Make a vinegar based cole slaw, or if you can eat it, a bean salad or soup, or veggie soup with you to heat up.

Dinner: I assume you will be eating out...or for any meals eating out...I'd opt for salads, with beef or chicken and ask for no marinade. Grilled steaks or fish with no marinades and a side of veggies. Burgers no buns. Dinners are easier usually!

Call the hotel ahead of time and ask what facilities they have. See if you can get a room with a fridge and micro.

Hrm...anyone got anything else? As far as across the border stuff, you aren't supposed to bring fruits and veggies/plants. I have a zillion times. Everything else is fine.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #669

Dove, those are the types of things I would normally consider, but I'm taking one small carry-on bag and I'm going from the US to Canada. I don't think I can just bring in anything...must check, I guess, with the regulations. I'm not going to have room in my bag to bring a bunch of stuff and as far as I know, I don't have a fridge or microwave in the room. Those would usually be perfect suggestions, and that's what I've done in the past. I think in this case I have to strategize about how to get food once I'm there.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #670
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
Wow Rachel! Great loss! And really in such a short time! It looks like you are well on your way to meeting your vacation goal...where are you going??
Thank you!! I am hoping I hit goal in time... we live in Melbourne, FL (a bit southeast of Orlando) and we're renting a beach house with some family about an hour south at Vero Beach. Not the most exotic of places this year... but a good chance to catch up with family from out of town.

Peanutte, I will be crossing my fingers for you that there is some safe public transportation wherever you are going. Is it a big town? I didn't see where exactly it was that you are going.

I have a three day weekend this week (starting tomorrow) - Husband's birthday so we are going out and doing several things to celebrate. I am excited but also preparing myself to STAY ON PLAN dammit! For us, a celebration weekend with no alcohol is unheard of... so this will be an interesting test.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #671

Rachel, since you have been on Atkins for four months, is there a reason you won't have any alcohol once in a while? I don't mean to make that sound as if I'm pushing you to have it--no, that's not what I mean! But since you've been on Atkins for this long, you could have it in moderation if you wanted to. But it never hurt anyone NOT to have it, so if that's your goal, then I wish you success!

Hey, that beach house sounds like a wonderful family vacation. I enjoy my own family the most when we all stay in an island rental house in Florida once a year. The beach is great because there's always something to do, whether family members want to play in the sand, swim in the ocean, sit in beach chairs and read magazines and chat, or go for walks.

I just found out the rehearsal dinner will be a casual grill-out! That's awesome. I can certainly eat some good things there. So Friday morning before I leave I can eat at home and bring a snack for the airport, and now Friday dinner is covered.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #672
Major LCF Poster!

Peanutte - I used to live in Upstate NY and went to Canada about once a month. I never had issues bringing anything in, though the actual restriction was only on fruits, veggies and plants.

Honestly, we were on a 100 day cross country road trip and our car was packed to the HILT including the overhead carrier with TONS of groceries in it...not one issue whatsoever lol. I mean we had maybe 30 containers of Tasty Bites from Trader Joes, bars of every sort, tuna, granola bars, lunch meats and condiments...we'd been camping for literally 100 days and were at the last leg of the trip to visit my cousin in Toronto.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #673
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Rachel, since you have been on Atkins for four months, is there a reason you won't have any alcohol once in a while? I don't mean to make that sound as if I'm pushing you to have it--no, that's not what I mean! But since you've been on Atkins for this long, you could have it in moderation if you wanted to. But it never hurt anyone NOT to have it, so if that's your goal, then I wish you success!

Hey, that beach house sounds like a wonderful family vacation. I enjoy my own family the most when we all stay in an island rental house in Florida once a year. The beach is great because there's always something to do, whether family members want to play in the sand, swim in the ocean, sit in beach chairs and read magazines and chat, or go for walks.

I just found out the rehearsal dinner will be a casual grill-out! That's awesome. I can certainly eat some good things there. So Friday morning before I leave I can eat at home and bring a snack for the airport, and now Friday dinner is covered.

Oh! Yes we do normally drink alcohol a couple times a week - we enjoy our liquor and cheap fine wine . We've only cut it out for three days now (today's day four). We are doing a super clean couple of weeks just to get a good start for OWL. Then we will add it back in again in a very controlled manor. I could never cut it out forever I don't think unless it really started causing a problem.

Yea grill-out! That's like best-case-scenario!!!

Dovelette - a 100 day camping road-trip? That sounds so incredible! Where were some of the places you went? I loooove camping.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #674
Major LCF Poster!

Ooooh boy. Well we started in NY and went to the Indiana Sand Dunes, stopped a few places on our way to the Badlands and Custer State Park, from there to Yellowstone/Grand Teton, then to Burning Man in the Nevada Desert, then to Reno (hotel to clean up lol), then up through Oregon, Crater Lake, the Willamet Valley, Portland, Mt. Rainer, rafting down the salmon river, up to Seattle (even camped outside of the city there too lol), to the Olympic Loop, all the way to the NW most point in the US, down Rt. 1 all the way to Tijuana, stopping on the way to go dunebuggying on the Oregon Coast, the Redwoods to Napa/Sonoma (super cheap way to go is to camp), then to San Fran (did do a hostel, and then a hotel because I got SUPER sick with a 103 fever), then down to Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbera, to LA...where we took a FLIGHT back to the East Coast (left the car in the parking lot at LAX) for another 'regional" Burning Man camping trip, BACK to LA/Venice, down to San Diego and Mexico...and then...on the way back...
Joshua Tree, Vegas, Zion, Bryce Canyon, National Monument, Moab/Arches/Canyonlands, Mesa Verde...discovered Rock climbing in Moab and picked that habit up, along with canyoneering...then onto Sedona and Flagstaff, Santa Fe, over to Texas (Hueco Tanks), then Arkansas, over to Memphis to my aunts place, over to hubbys aunts outside of Charlston, then back to climbing in Ashville NC...THEN with all that time and all that gear...up to Toronto to visit my cousin...and back to NY in time for thanksgiving with the fam! We left in August lol.

PHEW.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #675

THAT. SOUNDS. AMAZING.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, it was pretty awesome. We spent a small fortune but its something we will never, ever forget, and was a perfect way to send us off to Africa.

Hey 2Big, another flax meal question for ya!!! I think it's backing me up, and while I don't mind the scale (since it could be my muscles retaining water or whatever, and I'm still in my 'happy zone')...

Do I stop eating them and then I'll stop being backed up? Or do I keep eating them til I get used to them? I tried to do a google search but all it said was to TAKE flax meal to STOP constipation lol.

Scale is at 166.6, which is 2lbs from my lowest so far, but I'm going to keep up with the dairy for the week and see what happens! I am again mentally reminding myself that when you start exercising the scale may go up. ANd when I eat flax, I may retain water.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #677
Senior LCF Member

WOW!!!! That is so amazing - what an opportunity. Very cool
Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #678

2 pounds from your lowest weight is terrific, Dove!

My Friday weigh-in results: down another 1.8 pounds and have broken through to the 150s (just barely)! That is really pretty great.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #679
Major LCF Poster!

Hm, er, maybe I should have clarified that LOL. 2 pounds UP from where I was last Sunday since starting Atkins lol. Ahhh I wish I was only 2lbs from VFZ!

1.8lbs, WOOHOO!! MAN I want a 1.8lb loss!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #680
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thirteen Pounds
Stats: 208/157/135 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins Plus
Hi, folks...I'm traveling right now and this is admittedly more difficult than I thought.

Still on plan and feeling good. Breakfast is the most important meal, so once I have some eggs the rest of the day is a piece of (lc cheese)cake.

I just had a Hardee's breakfast bowl, which was very good but also pretty salty. I'm going to have to deal with salt gains when I get home. Good thing my May goal is to stay OFF the scale.

Good luck on the yogurt, Dovelette, and congrats on your loss, Peanutte!
Thirteen Pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #681

Just do the best you can, Smilee. The salt will only be a temporary thing.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #682
Major LCF Poster!

Alright peanutte, I got some info for you on Canada! Basically it looks like most restrictions are on "amounts" of food and ensuring you have labels on all your food.

The following are some examples of the limits that apply to personal importations of food products from the United States:

* 2 dozen eggs;
* 20 kilograms of dairy products not exceeding $20 in value (e.g. cheese and butter);
* 3 kilograms of margarine or butter substitutes; and
* 20 kilograms of edible meats and meat products, including turkey and chicken.

Within this limit, more CFIA and Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada restrictions apply as follows:

* a maximum of one whole turkey or 10 kilograms of turkey products;
* a maximum of 10 kilograms of chicken; and
* a maximum of 5 kilograms of edible meats and meat products from cattle, sheep, goat, bison and buffalo.

Here is another site you can look at for more specific food guidelines:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Food

And here is my favorite part of the whole thing:

“specified risk material” means the skull, brain, trigeminal ganglia, eyes, tonsils, spinal cord and dorsal root ganglia of cattle aged 30 months or older, and the distal ileum of cattle of all ages, but does not include material from a country of origin as defined in section 2 of the Health of Animals Regulations, or a part of a country of origin, that is designated under section 7 of those Regulations as posing a negligible risk for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy; (matériel à risque spécifié)

So um, leave your cow trigeminal ganglia at home, k?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #683

Quote:
So um, leave your cow trigeminal ganglia at home, k?
Ha ha! Thanks a lot for your help, Dove. I'm touched that you went to the trouble to look stuff up on my behalf.

I've had a nice weekend--lots of domestic errands and such, but still, productive and nice. I got a ton of flowers today to plant in my containers for the patio, and my newly planted garden up front seems to be coming along well. It's so gratifying to develop a hobby that is creative, physically active, and has nothing whatsoever to do with food, you know what I mean? (Not that my previous hobbies were food-related, but I think you guys get my point.)
Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #684
Senior LCF Member

hahahahahaha

That's hilarious - I don't even know what a trigeminal ganglia could possibly be.

Alright, weighed in at 224.6 this morning which is 7.6 pounds down from my last recorded weight of 232.2 on 5/3. About 3.8/wk average. Now to slow that down...

Today is day 1 of milk! 4 ounces this morning. I was shocked at how insanely sweet it was. Amazing how the sugar jumps out at you when you don't have much of it.

Smilee - great job keeping on course despite travelling - I definitely know how hard that is!!

Peanutte - congrats on your loss! That's exciting!

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #685

Quote:
Alright, weighed in at 224.6 this morning which is 7.6 pounds down from my last recorded weight of 232.2 on 5/3. About 3.8/wk average.

Rachel, congratulations! That's great!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #686
Big Yapper!!!!

wow you guys have been busy.
Dovette fiber can back folk up as it needs to be propeeled along the entire length of the intestines and if your intestines are not used to having a bulk of fiber well then they need a little help. walking helps move stuff along so are you doing some walking or running as your aerobic exercise?

The flax weight will alwasy be a part of you cause if you are eating it daily then until it comes out those pounds remain and when it does come out you will add more that day soooooooooooooooo eiter be okay with those pounds in your gut or don't go that route.

Peanutte saw you were planing to take a snack for the airport be sure it is something you can take past security. I had to put mother stuff in a seperate small lunch softsided lunch cooler cause the inspecters don't see that stuff every day appearently and her sliced ham looked suspecious our first flight and I had to dig it out for them to see it from the carry on bag. Now in the zippered luch pack I can just open it. oh and watch out if you take a mustard or mayo packet with you.
Oh and since you are loving that gardening come assist me with Mother's. with all the rain we had this spring we are over run with blackberry vines and honeysuckle and a bout a billion young maple, oak and hickory trees from her friends the squirrels. I have to untangle the vines from her good plants and bushes before I can pull them so it is tediuos work and mean while she is bored and wanders off so gardening is done for that day.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #687
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls1321 View Post
hahahahahaha

Alright, weighed in at 224.6 this morning which is 7.6 pounds down from my last recorded weight of 232.2 on 5/3. About 3.8/wk average. Now to slow that down...

Today is day 1 of milk! 4 ounces this morning. I was shocked at how insanely sweet it was. Amazing how the sugar jumps out at you when you don't have much of it.

Hope everyone has a good day.
woo hoo on those pounds of your body fat gone forever.

Isn't it surprizing how tsweet stuff we never thought of as sweet tastes after a few weeks of no sweets?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #688

Yes, it is! The few times I've eaten berries they tasted more intense than I remembered. And once in a while I order a diet Pepsi if I'm out to eat, but when it comes I take one sip and cannot believe it isn't the real thing (though if I really focus I can detect that aftertaste of artificial sweetener, so I know it isn't the real sugar-soda), and I can't finish one glass of it. It's just too sweet. So now I just stick to decaf coffee or ice water, usually.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

peanutte I'm going to attribute my bodies complete and utter love for peanuts to you LOL.

So yesterday I was sick. My throat was a mess, headache, stuffy...just a head cold I'm sure, hubby has it too. I ate my protein pancake for breakfast and then took some sudafed. Well I didn't realize the sudafed that we have here is the old kind, the kind that hops you up and makes you feel really speedy...and I'd been drinking tea all morning...so by 10am, I honestly though that I was going to climb the walls I was so hyped up, and on top of it not feeling well. So I crawled into bed and slept til around 1.

I wasn't hungry for anything and didn't know what to eat, so I just snacked on peanuts all day long. I think it was that whole wanting to have something basic and salty like crackers. I had about an ounce of cheese later on and about 4oz of yogurt for dinner, but basically I just ate peanuts all day long. I think I ate about a cup of them!

And today, after not moving for...wow, looking back at my log, basically since before May 1st (I had a blip downward for a few days but have been back up to 166.6), I'm down to 165.6. Man.

I think I'm going to skip alcohol, or at least only enjoy one glass every once in a while, because I think I have a hard time with moderation, and this week I'm moving on to legumes since I seem to do so well with peanuts. We don't have berries here so I can skip thta. I"ve been eating 25g, so I'm going up to 30 starting today I guess!

Wish me luck!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #690

I think it's funny that peanuts agree with you, Dove! They are such a problem food for many people, but hey, if your body likes them, that's great! Have fun moving up to legumes--I like making a side dish with spinach (I used frozen chopped spinach, well drained), lentils and crumbled feta cheese. You can add a little cumin or other spice if you like, but frankly it tastes great to me just plain with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. It's really simple but a great accompaniment for pork, chicken or mysteryporkbeef!