Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #631
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
what is in the salad? could you have a food intolerance to something in the salad?

Also there are chemicals in some veggies like broccoli that will interfer with thyroid function. However those chemicals are supposed to be destroyed in cooking.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #632
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Okay I've got a question about this whole CCL thing. So we're trying to move up the ladder, adding 5g of carbs in at a time from different rungs (or maybe staying at one carb number and just exchanging food like peanutte is doing), and then we're supposed to stop at the level where we stop losing weight and back off 5g, correct?

Well my progress is so back and forth, I don't know what to do. I did induction, stalled, added 5g, lost, stalled, lost, gained, stalled, lost...I mean its all over the map and I can't figure out how to...well...figure this out!

Supposedly someone on the boards here offered to send me the book since I don't have it here. WEll they never did. Then another person on another mailing list said they would send me the book in exchange for something from Cape Verde. They very well my have but I haven't heard from them and I haven't received the book (though I did send her a necklace from here). So I KNOW the answer is "read the book" because I'm sure although I'm trying to do this right, I'm probably not. I have no idea if I'm in ketosis, so I ordered some ketone strips (who knows when those will get here). I'm sure that I'm adding too many things too quickly or something like that, or some other way I'm failing.

I need some help or advice because I'm getting frustrated. Not going to give up type of frustrated, but frustrated none the less. Oh and now I KNOW it's silly but I'm sure m y body is going to hang onto water because I'm doing heavy weight lifting so I'm sure that is part of it but I don't know how to compensate for that lack of loss while trying to find my CCL.

Then part of me feels like "Oh DOve, you're already at the weight you were before you gained back weight on the road trip, you were happy then, just settle here." But I want to try and be smaller, if its possible, ya know? But it makes the motivation wane a bit.

Grr.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
My salad is a base of half romaine and half spinach. I add cucumber slices. Sometimes I add a few small wedges of tomato (about half a Roma, usually) and some black olives. That's about it. I usually use oil and vinegar dressing if I dress it at all. More often, I just top it with tuna salad or egg salad and let the mayo from that serve as the dressing for the whole thing. I measure about 2 cups, gently packed, of the greens before adding the cucumbers and other things, but the other things don't account for even a 1/2 cup of add-ins.

My body seems to like green beans. I get kind of tired of those after a while though.
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thirteen Pounds
Stats: 208/157/135 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins Plus
Dovelette, I know exactly what you mean! There is no way i should be stuck at 25 grams, but I seem to gain when I go over...this month's experiment has me hanging out there, with a few days of 30 grams a week, though admittedly I haven't been upping my carbs as actively as I should. Yesterday I had 23.

Eklektos, I have never heard of people having that issue, but that doesn't mean anything. I agree with 2Big that you may have an intolerance to something in your salads. Could also be that you're one of those folks who loses a bot better with higher carbs, and 2 cups of salad just aren't doing it for your body. Let us know how it goes.
Thirteen Pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #635
Major LCF Poster!

LOL ok so after I complain I'm down to 164.6 this morning. I don't get it. I don't know what I"m doing differently. Yesterday I had a creamcheese protein shake, AS pancake (OMG so good), tuna for lunch, a pack of peanuts (2big I think you are right that they are 7g and the fiber is already subtracted) and coconut curry pork for dinner...so I think this is so weird that when I eat cashews, I seem not to lose, but when I eat peanuts, I see to lose lol. I think I'm going to try to keep eating them and see what happens lol.
I'm being impatient, I know. The scale has ALWAYS bounced around for me like this. Also, I think my problem is I"m part of this challenge and that challenge etc, and I have different weigh in days so when my weight is bouncing around I feel like I"m a failure at the challenges. I think I need just ONE challenge to stick to, or none at all.
Babbling.
OH the exercise is going great too!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #636
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09

I'm in the OWL thread for the first time and I'm scared.

But I'm doing it.

I'm doing a "cleanse" of sorts, cutting caffeine WAY back (and AS completely) and eating extra salad/veggies for the next two weeks.... then.. I.. am.. going.. to.. eat 25 grams per day.

I am determined to find my CCL. I'm in the process of preparing myself for actually, intentionally slowing my weight loss, in order to be more successful long-term. After over 4 months of induction this is such a new realm for me. My copy of the book actually doesn't break out OWL levels but I researched online and I've developed what I think is a pretty solid plan for the coming months. I am starting with nuts/seeds. I'm weighing/measuring/tracking everything. My plan includes staying on each level for two weeks in order to get an accurate sense of my rate of loss.

I'm going to read back on this thread to get some input on this process but if anyone notices that I'm missing, like, some HUGE component of this transition please let me know. Thank you!

"The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously." - Henry Kissinger

Stage 3, workout #6 of New Rules of Lifting/Women COMPLETED
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #637
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Hey Rachel! Nice to see you over here!
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #638
Senior LCF Member

Yay, more OWLies!

I was violently ill last night, which of course screwed up my numbers for the day. Taking it easy today.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #639

I'm sorry to hear that, Smilee. Was it a bug, do you think? Both my boyfriend and I had hinky stomachs over the weekend.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Nope, I'm pretty sure it was coconut oil... I did a search and saw that some folks can't take it in the evening. I will stick to my morning dose from now on. In the meantime, since my tummy's still been kinda weird, I'm trying to get my carbs in in huge doses because I don't feel like eating much. Hence...I had a ton of pumpkin for breakfast, which was warm and yummy.

I might have some jicama later. With lemon juice it's CRAZY good and a way to get carbs in without, um, eating an inordinate amount of food.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #641
Major LCF Poster!

Okay I need someone to slap me NOW and HARD!

Why am I not moving up the rungs? I ended Induction April 20th. I need to get control of the upward MOVEMENT as opposed to mixing things up and then dropping back down. I haven't been over 20g in at least a week...and...to make things worse...

I keep looking at incorporating other plans so that I can start eating more carbs. I have been looking at JUDDD so I can add beans and oatmeal to my diet. BUT I might be able to do that on just OWL if I just kept MOVING UP and stopped SCREWING up.

This weeks goal: 20g carbs, at least 12 from veggies, PLUS yogurt. Not sure how to count the carbs in the yogurt with the whole yogurt exception, but I'm going to say I'm going to eat 1/2 cup of yogurt starting today. 20g carbs PLUS the yogurt carbs (I can't imagine they would be over 5g). NO additional foods added in (incl peanuts lol, which btw LOVE me), JUST what I've been eating (Induction foods) plus the 1/2c homemade yogurt.

I tried to make yocheese out of the yogurt, and for 1.5 cups of yogurt, I only got less than 1/4c of whey, so I think the yogurt I'm eating is already lower carb than what you'd buy in a store. Tastes more like sour sour cream.

Next week, starting Wednesday, I will keep my yogurt and ALSO add a 4oz glass of wine 3 nights. I will be checking in and posting my feelings and losses from wednesday to wednesday lol, so you have to put up with it. I can't add berries and don't really want to add nuts since I don't really eat them, so after wine I think I will start eating 1/2 an apple a day with a small amount of cheese.

There, I said it. Now I have to do it.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #642
Big Yapper!!!!

count every carb in your yogurt. that yogurt exception was faulty methodology. the scientist hypothocises the latose was less then the total carbs since the bacteria in yogurt eat it so he measured for lactose not carbs in the final yogurt and discovered that yep the latose total did not match the carb total and published his findings and the yogurt expection exploded.

[COLOR="Red"]BUT[/COLOR] bacteria in yogurt breakdown lactose into 2 smaller sugars neither of which will show up on a lactose testing method so while the lactose amount doesn't match the total carbs on the container the total carbs in the container do match that number so please don't mess yourself up not counting digestible sugars in yogurt that are not lactose.

now that you are going to add some carbs back the first addition should be more of those yummy veggies so move your veggies up to 17 and then add you yogurt and enjoy your OWL. oh and remember eggs cream spices and herbs all have carbs too.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #643
Major LCF Poster!

Yep I've already upped my veggies and don't have problems with them. I was eating them at 20 to 25g. There are no carbs on my container of yogurt, it's homemade. Like I said, if I"m eating half a cup then it should count as around 5g carbs so that should fall right into that rung of the ladder!

I count every single carb by programing my food every day into Calorie Count, sort of like Fit Day but I like it better because I can add recipes. So that counts eggs, cream, cheese, etc all for me!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #644

Don't get yourself all twisted up about this, Dove...you're doing really well. Add your extra five carbs in this week and see how it goes. I remember how excited I was to get to the legumes rung and enjoyed the freedom to incorporate some lentils in my recipes. If you are wanting more variety, then this is the way to do it. However, I also think there's some flexibility in terms of both climbing the ladder and also going slow on adding more carbs. You have a specific plan for this week and for next week, so follow that plan and shrug off all the fretting about it--my gut tells me there's a lot of noise going on inside your head about your diet, and you need to clear some of that away and relax a bit. Otherwise you're going to stress yourself out about it.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #645
Big Yapper!!!!

did you know that straining the fluid out of yogurt doesn't reduce the carbs that much as the carbs are trapped in the protein matrix of the yogurt structure?

the sourness of your yogurt is from the acid production of the bacteria. comercial yogurt companies stop the fermentation of their product at pH 4.6. however home made will have uncontrolled pH levels because you can't measure it and the longer you let the yogurt fertment the lower the pH. I like mine thick so I go 24 hours but manufacture machines recommned 6 hrs.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #646
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
did you know that straining the fluid out of yogurt doesn't reduce the carbs that much as the carbs are trapped in the protein matrix of the yogurt structure?

the sourness of your yogurt is from the acid production of the bacteria. comercial yogurt companies stop the fermentation of their product at pH 4.6. however home made will have uncontrolled pH levels because you can't measure it and the longer you let the yogurt fertment the lower the pH. I like mine thick so I go 24 hours but manufacture machines recommned 6 hrs.
So I'm confused though. My yogurt is homemade and is VERY tart and VERY thick, almost as thick as regular yogurt cheese. I personally don't make it, it's made by random women in our community, but from the taste, almost like sour sour cream (like more sour than sour cream) I would assume the pH is lower? Does that means it has lower or higher carbs? I'm confused.

Regardless...unless I"m checking the wrong sites, I'm seeing as 1 cup (8oz) of yogurt is 11 carbs...meaning 1/2 cup, what I'm saying I want to add, would be around 5 carbs. Am I off on this??

The cups here are actually about 6oz, so I'd probably only be eating 3 oz anyway...I really don't think what I"m talking about adding in is more than 5 carbs...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #647
Big Yapper!!!!

yep the pH is lower and pH and carb count are not related. the acid in the yogurt effects the protein molecules to make it thicker texture.

Yep use a carb counter to figure out the carbs

and enjoy your yogurt I hope that is a full fat yogurt.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #648
Major LCF Poster!

lol well it tastes like the most creamy deliciousness ever, so I bet it is!! I SO wish I could make my own, but get this - my oven temp STARTS at 350 degrees! I can't even get it low enough to make yogurt lol.

Silly oven.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #649
Big Yapper!!!!

did you know you could just make yogurt on the counter? all you need to do is warn the milk to 180 to kill all the bacteria and then cool it to 112 or less and then add your culture seal it up in a jar and let it sit on a warm counter or appliance over night and it will process. The warm conditions just make it go faster is all
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #650
Major LCF Poster!

Hey 2big...so how do you think I should count the yogurt cheese I just made? I believe it started as about 12oz and less than 1/4 cup of whey strained off. Commercial brands of FAGE greek yogurt are saying 7oz is 6 carbs...you make homemade yogurt right? How do you think I should count it?

I probably won't make it again, it's just not that much thicker. Ohhh wait though...I bet I could make some cheese chips and put some herbs in the yo-cheese and spread it on top. Or I have flax meal now...maybe it's time to add some flax crackers? I believe that is on Induction.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #651
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
did you know you could just make yogurt on the counter? all you need to do is warn the milk to 180 to kill all the bacteria and then cool it to 112 or less and then add your culture seal it up in a jar and let it sit on a warm counter or appliance over night and it will process. The warm conditions just make it go faster is all
Oooooh that sounds like a possible plan. I could probably stick it on the poarch lol, it's about 85 or 90 out right now! Warm the milk on the stove in a "double boiler" to 180? Can I use half cream half milk? I believe here they make it with milk "powder" since milk comes in boxes here and is more expensive.

For one cup of milk, how much "starter" would I use?

Experiment time! Thanks for your help so much!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #652
Major LCF Poster!

Garlic Parmesan Flax Seed Crackers - Recipe for Low Carb Flax Crackers

Flax Bread Recipe - Low-Carb Focaccia-Style Flax Bread

Have you guys tried things like this before? I'm excited because of my new flax meal, can ya tell? lol

I can tell I'm in ketosis again because I'm SO not hungry at all. This morning I had my protein shake and then this awesome egg dish that you make with cream and a bit of hot sauce in a small fry pan, crack in three eggs, top with cheese until it's firm and melty. I had a small salad as a snack...and I'm just not hungry now but want to make sure I'm eating.

I wish we had celery here! Oh wait, maybe some bell peppers and yo-cheese! YAY!

Last edited by Dovelette; 05-13-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #653

I'm glad to see you getting that enthusiasm back, Dove!

My only experience with making yogurt was using an electric yogurt-maker. So I'm no help at all.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #654
Major LCF Poster!

yeah I'm feeling really mood swing-ey lately. It's really tough living here...I'm missing my family, my work isn't going well (it isn't going anywhere), I'm having trouble with my cycles and my hormones are all screwed up (I'm on the pill, but after one week of taking it, I start to have breakthrough bleeding, then that keeps up and tapers off slightly until I go on my placebo week in which I have a very light period, so I'm bleeding for 3 weeks out of 4...), and me and hubby are arguing a lot lately. I'm feeling pretty nuts right now...and I don't have friends like at home to talk to, ya know? I have friends but not "friends" that I chose to have in my life. Those here are people in peace corps and they're sort of your default friends.

I think that's why I'm stressing so much and feeling so up and down. I'm sure we all know that disordered thinking that comes from years of dieting - wanting to control SOMETHING in your life when everything else is out of control.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #655

Oh, for sure. You don't even have to try to explain that to me--I really know what you mean. I think it must be hard sometimes, living in another country and being far away from familiar, comfortable things, even though I'm sure there are many things you enjoy about living there. And I know what you mean about default friends, too--they are friends of circumstance and convenience, not friends you chose by personality or shared interest.

It's funny that you mention these feelings because I have been thinking about how to come up with some very accessible strategies for dealing with that stressful "not in control of my environment" stuff. I don't know if I have anything useful yet. I'm trying to plan in advance for this trip to be in my sister's wedding, a month from now.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #656
Major LCF Poster!

You know back in the States I was very VERY anti AS, processed food, non organic/grass fed meats, imported stuff etc. And here I use AS and Atkins bars...I really think they are coping mechanisms right now, and I'm not exactly sure WHY or HOW this works other than they are a reminder of something American maybe, or just the chocolate and PB is such a comfort.

I do long for the time when I get back to the States and restart a less processed lifestyle
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rls1321
Stats: 58.6 LOST!! 5'9" - 25 yrs old
WOE: Atkins ('97)
Start Date: 1/3/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
yeah I'm feeling really mood swing-ey lately. It's really tough living here...I'm missing my family, my work isn't going well (it isn't going anywhere), I'm having trouble with my cycles and my hormones are all screwed up (I'm on the pill, but after one week of taking it, I start to have breakthrough bleeding, then that keeps up and tapers off slightly until I go on my placebo week in which I have a very light period, so I'm bleeding for 3 weeks out of 4...), and me and hubby are arguing a lot lately. I'm feeling pretty nuts right now...and I don't have friends like at home to talk to, ya know? I have friends but not "friends" that I chose to have in my life. Those here are people in peace corps and they're sort of your default friends.

I think that's why I'm stressing so much and feeling so up and down. I'm sure we all know that disordered thinking that comes from years of dieting - wanting to control SOMETHING in your life when everything else is out of control.
No advice, just wanted to say I wish you the best in sorting all this out...
rls1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #658

How're you doing, Rach? Hey--I don't know if I've paid attention to your stats before, but congratulations on 43 pounds! That is so great.

Dove:

Quote:
I really think they are coping mechanisms right now, and I'm not exactly sure WHY or HOW this works other than they are a reminder of something American maybe, or just the chocolate and PB is such a comfort.
I think this is likely true. It makes sense to me, anyway. And in your particular situation I see nothing wrong with that, as long as they aren't messing you up in some way.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #659
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
Oooooh that sounds like a possible plan. I could probably stick it on the poarch lol, it's about 85 or 90 out right now! Warm the milk on the stove in a "double boiler" to 180? Can I use half cream half milk? I believe here they make it with milk "powder" since milk comes in boxes here and is more expensive.

For one cup of milk, how much "starter" would I use?

Experiment time! Thanks for your help so much!

I add the cream after it is done stir it in but you could do it before hand if you want. I use heaping table spoon of already made yogurt to a qt of milk mix and let it go from there. If your milk is powdered then you shouldn't have to worry about killing an bacteria in it but you do want to make sure the containers are sterile before you start.

have fun. remember it will get thicker after you chill it too so don't ferment it till it is as think as you want cause it will be too thick when it chills. oh and if it isn't thick enough you can re ferment it by taking it out and heating warming it up again. just don't get it over 112 as that temp kills the bacteria that make yogurt.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #660
Big Yapper!!!!

I love flax and never went to all that trouble to maker flax cracker. I used not2late's recipe for them equal parts flax seed meal, water and parmegean cheese. if you want to add a little garlic powder or onion powder or both you can too. mix the seeds and water and grated cheese in a bowl and let sit about 3 min this allows the "egg" quality of flax to develope. then spoon the thin runny mixture on parchemnt paper about one t per cracker and nuke until dry about 1 min.
it is easy and fast to fix just what you need that way. if you want other creese make the crakers without cheese and then top with cheese when done. you can also make them sweet or mix with ground nuts. I've even added italian herbs and then rubbed them with garlic when done for a fake garlic breadchip they are crispy and crunchie.