Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Weekend Update

Hey folks, so I made it to the festa and am super glad I did.

The Good - I stayed on plan food wise, although I did eat more Atkins bars than I wanted to. However I have incorporated them as part of my plan (everyone has to choose their WOE, right?) so I don't consider that cheating at all. I ate tons of yummy meat, some nuts, eggs for breakfast and then usually the bars for lunch because other people were eating fries etc. and none of the grills or stores were open. C'est la vie. Also I got some pics of myself and I'm SUPER happy at how I'm looking. Like the me I remember pre road trip!

The Bad - I did drink more than I had "planned" but less than I feared. I also didn't drink any beer, just hard liquor and one cup of wine (really a cup, not a glass since it was served in plastic lol). I also didn't drink nearly enough liquid so I'm overloading today. My body seems to like to lose on 80-100oz a day. I was only getting in around 64 plus I was drinking so I was more dehydrated.

The Ugly - I may have gained a lb but I'm not sure, I usually wait to see a few days of consistancy before I "Claim" a gain or loss vs. water retention, water weight loss.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #602
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thirteen Pounds
Stats: 208/157/135 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post

whole foods doesn't tell me much about what you added when you went up to 30 so again are you adding a new to you rung moving from 25-30 or did you just add foods any foods that had 5 grams of carbs per the 92 OWL rules?

Dr Atkins defined vigorous exercise as doing 45 min more then 5 times a week and folk who do vigorous exercise can eat more carbs them those whoi exercise less.
I know for myself when I was hitting the gym lifting BFL style 3x and doing HIIT treadmilling 3x for an hour each day I could eat over 115 net carbs ( total minus fiber no mythical magical noncounted counting carbs for me) but when I had my knee surgery and couldn't workout I was down to just 45 net carbs to keep from gaining.
average metabolic resistant folk can expect their CCLL to be between 15-40 grams. this was why dooing a clean 14 day induction was so important because based on that you could use your weight loss total pounds needed to lose and your 14 days lost pounds to check the charts in chapter 12 and see if you are high average or low met resistanant and know where your CCLL should fall. then if you were a low metabolic resistant and hit issues with 30 grams on the 3rd rung you could expect it was the nuts/seeds you were eating causing the issues and not your CLL being just 30.

the more you increase your exercise you will discover your daily carb count tolerance will increase too.
Yay! I'm glad you went and had a good time. The pound will be gone in no time, Dovelette!

2Big, I added foods according to the ladder. When I gained at 30 g, I scaled back the carbs by 5 while still eating the same foods (sans cottage cheese and nut flour-- 2 maybies) to see if i could determine a sensitivity. I lost, so I figured it was the number, not the nature.

I did a clean induction without exercise and at 5 pounds lost was in the average (15-40g) range. Typically my exercise is vigorous-- I think I posted earlier that the first time I went through the rungs I was exercising 2x a day: weights, running, walking (or all three) at 50 minutes a stretch. I monitored my heart rate then as well.

Sigh.

This doesn't make any sense to me either, but I'm keeping on...more exercise is my goal, and I'm working up to 5x per week slowly.

Sorry to guano the thread, I just wanted to see if anyone could pick up something I couldn't. Thanks to all of you for your replies and assistance!
Thirteen Pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #603
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
hey that is what the topic is for figuring out OWl issues so keep posting.
you were average without exercise? so you should really be higher had you been doing the Atkins reguired exercise that chart thought you were doing. Try moving up to rung 4 and skipping rung 3 if that was the rung you were one. I knw some very successful Atkineers who spent months on each rung and discovered one had an issue with cheese adatives not cheese by making her own. another discovered she had a reaction to nuts because of the way they were processed and when she cracked her own she could then roast them and be fine.

so if you jump to the next rung at 30 and do okay then you know it was the foods on the skipped rung and not the carb gram total.

oh and since you are increasing your exercise this week don't change nothing else cause your body is going to react as if some dangerous thing is out there and superhydrate your muscle tissuese to help you escape this new danger cause nobody loads muscles for fun. once your body realizes your new to it workout schedule is the normal load it will release the fluids and your weight loss will resume. Brookjay is a by the book Atkinseer who can add 5 pounds just switching exercise videos until her body adapts so don't be scared off by the new additions on the scales when you change exercise workouts.

Dovelette congrats on surviving
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member

^^ Bless you.

You might 100 percent right. This is what I mean: I don't gain with most dairy, and I don't gain with nuts. But together (by the time I reach rung 3) I may very well have a yeast/ mold issue.

Years ago when I FIRST did Induction (back when I was at 135 pounds ) my 3rd week I cut out all of the mold- containing stuff and increased my losses. I eventually added it all back, as I could lose without the restriction...I was just impatient. But of course I was still on induction then, so "adding things back" meant olives, salad dressing, vinegar, etc.

Wow.

Thank you. I am going to shake things up and see, but I suspect this might be it.

Cheese additives, huh? Going to have to do some research on this. THANK YOU.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #605
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
^^ Bless you.

You might 100 percent right. This is what I mean: I don't gain with most dairy, and I don't gain with nuts. But together (by the time I reach rung 3) I may very well have a yeast/ mold issue.

Years ago when I FIRST did Induction (back when I was at 135 pounds ) my 3rd week I cut out all of the mold- containing stuff and increased my losses. I eventually added it all back, as I could lose without the restriction...I was just impatient. But of course I was still on induction then, so "adding things back" meant olives, salad dressing, vinegar, etc.

Wow.

Thank you. I am going to shake things up and see, but I suspect this might be it.

Cheese additives, huh? Going to have to do some research on this. THANK YOU.
so you going to try the candida clean eating cure for 2 weeks and see how you do? if so remember garlic is a natural antifungal and so is oil of oregano and neither is very expensive.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #606
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
oh and since you are increasing your exercise this week don't change nothing else cause your body is going to react as if some dangerous thing is out there and superhydrate your muscle tissuese to help you escape this new danger cause nobody loads muscles for fun. once your body realizes your new to it workout schedule is the normal load it will release the fluids and your weight loss will resume. Brookjay is a by the book Atkinseer who can add 5 pounds just switching exercise videos until her body adapts so don't be scared off by the new additions on the scales when you change exercise workouts.
This is SUCH an important reminder for all of us. Thanks, 2big!
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #607
Senior LCF Member

I can't do the candida cure this week-- food is bought and cooked already, and for the first time since starting Atkins years ago I have consistently messed up our grocery bill (much higher than normal these last few months, even shopping the circulars)...also, since I'm picking up an extra day of exercise I think I'll stick with the 25 grams for the moment to see how that affects things.

I'm a little worried. The last time I omitted cheese, nuts, dressings, olives, etc. I got into such deep ketosis that I was dry heaving over my plate (not exaggerating). Plus...it was really restrictive, and I'm not sure I'm there mentally yet.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #608
Big Yapper!!!!

well you could just do the candida kill and not worry about repopulating exposure since the kill should kill them too. What did you use as your antifungal and what did you use to repopulate your healthy gut bacteria?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #609
Senior LCF Member

Candida kill?

I just did what Dr. A recommended in the book: to omit any fermented or mold containing foods, which at the time felt like everything. Cheese, olives, sour cream, salad dressings, vinegars...wasn't eating nuts yet or any dairy other than cheese. I felt horrible, and food was disgusting.

Did I miss something in the text? Or is candida kill something else?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #610

Smilee, I hope you get this all worked out. It sounds like a pain in the butt!

Where's my fellow crustless quiche addict? I made a new kind this morning using 2 eggs, 2 ounces of cooked leftover sockeye salmon, 1 ounce of cream cheese, cubed into small pieces, and 1 ounce of lightly steamed arugula. It was so good.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #611
Big Yapper!!!!

Dr Atkins kills if off slowly with starvation and no reinfestation. you can help the process by using antifungal foods like raw garlic, coconut oil has a chemical called caprylic acid that is a natural antifuncal chemical, you can also buy capsules of the caprylic acid or undecylenic acid both of which are found naturally in the human body for about $40 for a months supply, some herbs like oil of oregano not the herb kind, Plant Tannins and barberry can be found in healthfood stores and are all natural antifungal stuff.
Any of those should help speed up the yeast die off. And you want to occupy the space the candida was using with healthy gut bacteria so you can repopulate if you are on rung 2 or higher with yogurt or kefir but be sure your kefir isn't a sweetened "dessert" like drink or you could buy probiotics and swallow it.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #612
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Peanutte and 2Big!

It has been a long day and I am very tired. A long, tough day!

I am going to have to make some of those crustless quiches. They sound marvelous. My favorite quiche is sausage and red pepper with cheddar cheese, yum...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #613

Dove, I seem to have forgotten to congratulate you on going to the fiesta and sticking to your expectations! I'm glad you had fun.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #614
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Smilee, I hope you get this all worked out. It sounds like a pain in the butt!

Where's my fellow crustless quiche addict? I made a new kind this morning using 2 eggs, 2 ounces of cooked leftover sockeye salmon, 1 ounce of cream cheese, cubed into small pieces, and 1 ounce of lightly steamed arugula. It was so good.
Sounds good! If you mean me the quiche addict, I was a bit too mad busy yesterday to get on here much. A bit less manic today, I hope.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #615

How's everyone doing?

I am almost a little hesitant to post this because I'm afraid I was hallucinating, but this morning I tried on my old smaller 2003 jeans from the Gap and they fit. They are still a little snug around the waist (but what isn't? My personal waist-to-hip ratio is not what clothes are designed for!), but I didn't have to struggle to get them zipped. Uh...wow. I wasn't expecting that. I just put them on out of curiosity and was shocked.

I guess I might have seen it coming, as I had to make a new, smaller hole in my belt last week.

I'm pretty proud of the fact that I've been doing Atkins for four months in a very clean simple way. I like the emphasis on vegetables and balanced meals this time around.

Last edited by peanutte; 05-06-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #616
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats on your shrinking healthier body morphing.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #617

Thanks, 2big. You have been such a help to me and others.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Yeah Peanutte! You are my inspiration. Your conviction and steadfast resolve to keep on keepin on always gives me the drive to stick in there with you!

I have the opposite problem, small waist but biggie ol' bootie and thighs. And I'm short, so I have to find petite sizes. P14 and P12 are hard to find. I am looking forward to P10 and P8! I'm comfortably in size 12 now!! Yippeee!
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #619

Chase, it seems like most women's clothing is designed for the small percentage of the population who have perfectly balanced hourglass figures. I have known people with small waists like you have, and they cannot find anything to fit them without having the waist taken in. And many of us find things that fit everywhere else but the waist is too small. It's annoying either way!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Peanutte! That must have felt so good!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #621

It did, thanks. You know what else felt good? Mowing my backyard just now. It was getting out of control--I was beginning to call it our Nature Preserve--so I tackled it. Usually my boyfriend does this, but it couldn't wait any longer. It's not all that easy when the grass is so long, let me tell you! I worked up a sweat, so I am counting that as my exercise today. It took me about an hour!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #622
Big Yapper!!!!

hey marathon mowing counts as a sport so be sure to count that resistance and aerobic exercise you did tackling that meadow.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #623

Marathon mowing? Ha ha ha

That's what it felt like...I may have to do some raking a little later if it doesn't start to rain.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 AM   #624
Senior LCF Member

Marathon mowing indeed!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 AM   #625
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
lol I'd be hurting for about a week after. Yep, I'd count it for my exercise for a week
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #626

And another Friday Weigh-In comes and goes...only down .6 pounds this week, but that's completely fine. It seems like usually if I lost a pound or slightly more the previous week, I don't lose a full pound the next week. But all these little increments add up and I am closer and closer to breaking through another "decade" to the 150s.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #627
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats on still shrinking even after that olympic exercise effort yesterday. so how many inches did you shrink?

How are the rest of y'all doing? maybe I should go read that May goals challenge topic this morning and see
Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #628

2big, I don't do inches...you know how some people are irrational about the scale, so they choose to only weigh once a month or not at all? I do that with measuring. I have never liked my measurements, not when I was thin as a rail, not when I wasn't thin as a rail. It's better for me to just notice how baggy my clothes are getting, and rely on the objective information of my once-a-week weight.

How are you doing, 2big? Anything fun lined up for the weekend?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #629
Big Yapper!!!!

you know if you don't like numbers you could just use a piece of dental floss around your waist as your starting point and then make a knot at each place it next measures you smaller sort of like cutting that new hole in your belt. you meausred yourself in terms of your belt size, just not in terms of total inches. You could have a string for your bicep your wrist your waist chest neck thigh calf and hips and see that even though the scale says you aren't smaller you are.
cause the closer you get to true goal weight the longer it is going to be between scale number changes but you will see your body morphing even without scale number changes.I went from a lose guys small to a 10 with only 5 pounds changing on the scales and was a very frustrated Atkinseer during those 5 months. If I hadn't needed a new outfit for a public outing I would never have know how small I was. The sales lady thought I was crazy cause I started with the 25-26 size stuff cause that was the biggest size they had in the ladies sections and worked my way down to the 10 one size at a time. I just couldn't believe I was that much smaller. I was a tried and tested Atkinseer at that point but if I hadbn't been I'd have been posting before the shopping trip Atkins has stopped working what am I doing wrong like amny other do.

this weekend is a concnert and amusment park in the Smokey's for Mother and I'm the chauffer. I'm sure we will be looking at lots of waterfalls too since it has been raining for 7 days there.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
I posted this on the main lobby and only got a couple of responses, which were totally different in opinion. Maybe some of you OWLers have or have heard of a similar situation:

I am really starting to think that raw salad veggies stall my weight loss. I had a 3-week plateau in March. I ate 2 cups of salad every day. I didn't lose until I ran out of salad and ate cooked veggies for a couple of days. I lost a little, then added salad back in daily, and it really seems to me that if I eat salad at lunch, I won't lose anything. But if I skip salad and get my carbs from cooked green beans, avocado, cooked broccoli or asparagus, or even a few strawberries, I seem to lose.

Does this make any sense at all?
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote