Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kerbear879
Stats: 341/200.2/160 @ 5'9"
Start Date: 3/23/2005
Oh there's that new sprouts over off 120th and sheridan (my boyfriend tried to get a job there when they were hiring). It's not too far from me but I won't be to the fruit rung for 2 more weeks. I love all berries! Is sprouts comparable to whole foods? I love whole foods but that place is so darn expensive. I kinda like sunflower market too because they have sales on some of the good veggies.

I think I am gonna try the cauliflower. I like brocolli but it's one of those things that grew on me over the years. I think my boyfriend likes cauliflower so if for some reason, I don't like, I am sure he will eat it. It sure would be nice to have something like mashed potatoes with my steak (instead mashed cauliflower).
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Try pairing cauli with cheese as a way of introducing it. In case you haven't seen my ridiculously easy recipe for cheese sauce:

2Tbsp heavy cream

1 ounce shredded cheese and 1 Tbsp dry grated parm OR 1.5 ounces shredded cheese

Over low heat, melt cheese into cream in a small saucepan, stirring to blend. Add a dash of garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Serve immediately over the vegetable of your choice.

Voila!

Quote:
Oh there's that new sprouts over off 120th and sheridan
I'm pretty sure that's the same Sprouts I go to every week. They have good prices on their house brand of various things, and really good meats; we get our chicken, fish, red meat and pork there every weekend. Right now boneless, skinless chicken breast is on sale so we got 2 family packs and split them up into 2 breasts each and froze them. Usually each week I get one package of chicken thighs and one package of those little wing drummettes, but since the breast was on sale I had to strike while the iron was hot, so to speak.

They also have a very tasty reduced sodium turkey deli meat that they sell in pre-sliced packages over near the cheeses and stuff. And their Hot Sticks are like Slim Jims but not as junky.

Produce is generally good, but sometimes a little inconsistent. My boyfriend says their fruit can be really crummy, but the grapes and berries and cherries are always good. (Of course I don't eat those things, but he does!)

Also, Sprouts has the lowest price for all the Marie's salad dressings. The blue cheese and ranch dressings are in the refrigerated section, and are very rich and creamy with only .0-1.0 grams of carb per 2 Tbsp.

In general I find Whole Foods to be more of a gourmet grocery store with more exotic products and some pretty high prices--BUT their 365 brand items are a good price point, and they have a killer selection of cheeses, and their meat/fish counter is excellent, if spendy. I like Sunflower too, but there isn't one nearby...I used to go there all the time up in Fort Collins.

If you make the mashed cauli, I recommend squeezing it with a couple of paper towels after cooking and before adding whatever you're going to mash it with. The drier it is, the more of a hearty texture your mash will be.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
I'm on berries right now. Got some very juicy blackberries in the fridge. I'm eating them just by themselves. I did get some fage yogurt to have with them, but I kind of... ate it all already. :blush: Yeah, that stuff is a portion control issue for me. Should have stuck with cream.

Berries is usually as far as I can go and not only still lose, but keep myself from allowing carb creep. I might try legumes, but in very small amounts. Basically, I think when I come to a rung I don't want to bother with - like alcohol - I just add some more onion or some other slightly carbier veg instead.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #34

If the rung you're on includes a kind of food you're not really interested in eating, I don't see why you can't just get more carbs from vegetables. Right? For example, nuts aren't something I really am that excited to eat, but I would like to be able to use small amounts in recipes (like a pecan-or-macademia-crusted piece of fish), and I'd like to try the nut flours eventually. I did my "nut week" and it seemed to slow my loss. Now, it might not have been the nuts--it might have been any number of things, but I'm staying away from them for a while to see if they were a contributing factor, since I don't miss them anyway.

This week, I'm just concentrating on more vegetables and less sodium. I think I'm getting the hang of OWL--I love being able to have another serving of veggies!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
you can skip a rung if you have no plans to include those foods in your WOE. many skipped rung 5 and for a while there was a rumor in 2003 that since alcohol had no nutrtional value Dr Atkins was going to remove it from the rungs but his accidnetal death occurred before it happened.
Boy did you dodge a bullet eating your berries plain. they are the only food Dr Atkins specifically said to have with a fat to avoid blood sugar swings in OWL chapter 14 tips
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #36

2big, I had 2 ounces one day on the third week! What was I thinking?! That was the only time I had them but that's exactly what prompted me to go back and READ MY BOOK ABOUT OWL because I had this vague idea that adding nuts and berries was okay after Induction...well, it is, but not right away!

I did lose weight that week anyway, and of course I included those berries in my carb count that day, but still. No more of that! If I can't remember exactly what to do, I keep that darn book handy and consult it.

I'm not trying to present myself as being some perfect Atkinseer, because I do make mistakes, but I sure try to respect the plan as it is written. And I encourage newbies to do the same. If you jump into eating a bunch of Frankenfoods, you're missing the opportunity to re-train your brain to rely upon real, fresh food. You know what I'm sayin'?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
If the rung you're on includes a kind of food you're not really interested in eating, I don't see why you can't just get more carbs from vegetables. Right? For example, nuts aren't something I really am that excited to eat, but I would like to be able to use small amounts in recipes (like a pecan-or-macademia-crusted piece of fish), and I'd like to try the nut flours eventually. I did my "nut week" and it seemed to slow my loss. Now, it might not have been the nuts--it might have been any number of things, but I'm staying away from them for a while to see if they were a contributing factor, since I don't miss them anyway.

This week, I'm just concentrating on more vegetables and less sodium. I think I'm getting the hang of OWL--I love being able to have another serving of veggies!

Yeah I agree. I think I may skip the nut phase not because I don't like nuts, but I can't control myself around them. I start eating them and the next thing I know, I've eaten way too many. I may come back around to it later and try it once I am on maintenance. I do like peanut butter..but again, probably something I won't have until maintenance.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

actually peanutte nuts are a confusing issue cause depending on which book you use and what type of induction you are doing they can be induction legal DANDR 92, after the first 2 weeks of induction for those doing longer induction DANDR 2002 page 86, an immediate returned food OWL 72 or 92, or a rung 3 food in OWL DANDR 2002 chapter 14

And the nuts themselves can be confussing and a huge portion control issue even for goalies. I can't buy them already proceesed cause I'd eat the whole container but raw frozen almonds can sit in the freezer and be portioned out in 1 ounce amounts and prepped as I want them at home.

I know a goalie who still can't add macadamia nuts to her WOE but can eat other nuts. And one goalie can only eat pecans as all other nuts cause cravings for her.

Those who have yeast issues will need to be very careful with the nut and seeds rung as new containination can occur from yeast and mold spores living on the nut and seed.

So take your time investigating the rungs and remember to rule a food out you will need to repeat the testing several times to be sure it was the food and not another factor in your eating or life at the time.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

did you know we can sqat on the veggie rung and add back as many carbs of it as our body can handle and we want?

we can also as you said add more veggies instead of a higher rung that week looking for our CCLL. so you could be doing rung 1 2 1 3 1 4 1 6 ... until you find what your CCLL is. I would suggest if you have a high CCLL that you use the denser carb veggies like say spaghetti sqash noodles instead of zuchinni noodles and purree some veggies as a sauce or you will have a mountain of food to eat
Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #40

Quote:
actually peanutte nuts are a confusing issue cause depending on which book you use and what type of induction you are doing they can be induction legal DANDR 92, after the first 2 weeks of induction for those doing longer induction DANDR 2002 page 86, an immediate returned food OWL 72 or 92, or a rung 3 food in OWL DANDR 2002 chapter 14
Yeah, I have the 1992 book. That explains my confusion, I guess!

I should consider myself lucky that I really can eat five or six nuts and no more without being tempted. They are just not a food I care that much for and I realize they can be a huge problem for many people!

Let's see...I guess my problem food would be BACON! I could eat six or eight pieces of bacon, given the opportunity. This week I am not having any at all because I'm experimenting to see if these higher-sodium processed foods are what's slowing me down. I went back and checked my ****** menus, and I typically had something really salty every day--bacon, sausage, salami, olives, anchovies, whatever--so I am eliminating all of that this week (well, I had sausage on Monday before I arrived at this decision) and we shall see. My sodium intake was between 120 and 150% RDA--even without salting my food at the table!--and this week I am keeping it to about 80%.

edited to add--

Quote:
did you know we can sqat on the veggie rung and add back as many carbs of it as our body can handle and we want?

we can also as you said add more veggies instead of a higher rung that week looking for our CCLL. so you could be doing rung 1 2 1 3 1 4 1 6 ... until you find what your CCLL is.
Yes, I think I am starting to really grasp this and get the hang of it!

Last edited by peanutte; 02-11-2009 at 08:15 AM..
Old 02-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

one thing I noticed in DANDR 2002 is without specifying what type of nuts Dr Atkins says 1 ounce ( about 1/4 cup) is 5 grams of carbs in the section on nuts, so in his mind nut calorie and portion control was easy. all nuts one ounce period.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
I would suggest if you have a high CCLL that you use the denser carb veggies like say spaghetti sqash noodles instead of zuchinni noodles and purree some veggies as a sauce or you will have a mountain of food to eat
Oh don't I know it. I was struggling the last two days to hit 25 grams of carbs and I found I was eating a lot. I need to cut back a little on the meat and cheese and add the veggies so I can eat them all and hit that 25 gram mark. Yesterday I was at 20 grams exactly. I should of eaten a tomato or some onions or something but I really wasn't hungry anymore. It's taking me a little time to master this extra 5 carbs.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #43

You'll hit your groove, kerbear. I know you will!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Boy did you dodge a bullet eating your berries plain. they are the only food Dr Atkins specifically said to have with a fat to avoid blood sugar swings in OWL chapter 14 tips
Well, I'm only eating them after a meal, not on their own as a snack, so had plenty of fat with them, even if not on them! I'm definitely aware of not eating something like that on its own.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
one thing I noticed in DANDR 2002 is without specifying what type of nuts Dr Atkins says 1 ounce ( about 1/4 cup) is 5 grams of carbs in the section on nuts, so in his mind nut calorie and portion control was easy. all nuts one ounce period.
Yeah, that's odd, since the carb counts vary so much with nuts. An oz of cashews is hardly the same as a oz of almonds.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear879 View Post
Oh don't I know it. I was struggling the last two days to hit 25 grams of carbs and I found I was eating a lot. I need to cut back a little on the meat and cheese and add the veggies so I can eat them all and hit that 25 gram mark. Yesterday I was at 20 grams exactly. I should of eaten a tomato or some onions or something but I really wasn't hungry anymore. It's taking me a little time to master this extra 5 carbs.

I hear you on that getting the carbs up is hard. I was standing in the kitchen eatting coleslaw before bed when I moved to OWL to get my carbs up.

One thing you can do is roast some veggies with a coating of oil and garlic like eggplants, tomatoes, onions, peppers and zuchinis and then purree them. they make a great dip or spread for your other veggies and you got 2 veggie sources worth of carbs per bite.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #47

Quote:
Well, I'm only eating them after a meal, not on their own as a snack, so had plenty of fat with them, even if not on them! I'm definitely aware of not eating something like that on its own.
To be honest, I may have missed a crucial sentence in my book because I wasn't aware of this, and now I feel sheepish for not knowing! So, if and when I eat some berries I will pour a little heavy cream over them--just a tablespoon or two. Or eat them with half an ounce to an ounce of cheese. See, that's why these forums are so dang important! I learn something new every day.

Speaking of plentiful veggies, I just had one of my very favorites: asparagus sauteed in olive oil with 2 Tbsp grated parm. The parmesan gets browned and crunchy like breadcumbs. It is so good!

I don't know about anyone else, but if possible I prefer to get all my daily carbs in before 4 o'clock and then I just have protein for dinner, and no carbs for the evening unless I end up having one ounce of cheese before bed if I'm truly hungry, which I'm usually not. .
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
To be honest, I may have missed a crucial sentence in my book because I wasn't aware of this, and now I feel sheepish for not knowing! So, if and when I eat some berries I will pour a little heavy cream over them--just a tablespoon or two. Or eat them with half an ounce to an ounce of cheese. See, that's why these forums are so dang important! I learn something new every day.

..... .
I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the 92 DANDR and was one of those things Dr Atkins learned he needed to tell folk so it is in the 2002 OWL tips section.

Sort of like the way rule 5 changed for induction. Dr Atkins thought folk would use good sense and pick healthy stuff for thier 20 grams if he allowed them to just use a carb counter as it says in 92 rule 5 but he learned folk following his plan abused it with junk food carbs so in the 2002 edition he removed the option of picking anything and gave us a list of over 50 veggies, proteins and fats along with some extras like the lemon and or lime juice the avacado 1/2, cream or sour cream, and the olives. the new rule 5 says eat NOTHING not on the lists.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #49

Well, I'm all for that rule. It just makes sense to me!

It's kind of interesting that the first time I did Atkins, it was just on the cusp of becoming widely known and all those Frankenfoods were pretty few and far between...the ones that did exist were pretty new. In the year/year and a half that I followed it, I saw a huge explosion of so-called low-carb pastas, breads, bars, shakes, chips, and on and on. So I had the advantage of NOT having all those things widely available when I was new to it before, and hence I never got into the habit of using those "foods". I prefer it this way. There are so many good real foods to eat, I just don't pay much attention to all the other stuff!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Well, I'm all for that rule. It just makes sense to me!

It's kind of interesting that the first time I did Atkins, it was just on the cusp of becoming widely known and all those Frankenfoods were pretty few and far between...the ones that did exist were pretty new. In the year/year and a half that I followed it, I saw a huge explosion of so-called low-carb pastas, breads, bars, shakes, chips, and on and on. So I had the advantage of NOT having all those things widely available when I was new to it before, and hence I never got into the habit of using those "foods". I prefer it this way. There are so many good real foods to eat, I just don't pay much attention to all the other stuff!
I'm in kind of the same boat - well all of us UK low carbers are! Even at the height of Atkins' popularity back in 2003/2004 there really weren't many low carb products available here. And now it's no longer the trendy thing, even what there was has all but vanished. So while I'm not saying I didn't have an Atkins bar or two - I was once given three BOXES of the wafer bars FREE! - I never relied on the products. Now I never even have the bars, which are still around in a few places. It's all about real food!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

I don't prefer to eat those atkin bars or similar type low carb foods. I do like the flatout wraps and the low carb tortillas but I haven't added them in yet and probably won't for some time.

Still can't seem to get that 25 grams of carbs in. I had a plan to eat some salad with extra tomato last night and ended up just eating rotissierie chicken from costco..I think my carbs were like 17 yesterday. So today I diced up extra red pepper and onion in my omelet and I put more salad, onion, and tomato in my salad for lunch. I may have to do this an extra week just to get the hang of it. I didn't really think it was going to be that difficult to add 5 more grams of veggies in but maybe I just got used to eating at that 20 gram level.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #52

kerbear, when I was weighing and preparing today's vegetables last evening (I like to do my washing and chopping ahead of time), I darn near snapped a photo to show you guys how MUCH it comes out to be. It's a LOT of vegetables. Way more than I ever ate before low-carbing again, and certainly more than I used to eat the last time I did Atkins several years ago.

The more days you do it, though, the more it becomes second nature.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I am sure I will get the hang of it here soon. I remember before starting atkins that i was peeved that I couldn't put two plum tomatoes in my salad because it was too many carbs..and now I forget that I can put two in there.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #54

Another thing I find very useful is that when I'm planning my day's food in ******, which I do the night before, I enter all my vegetables first so I can plainly see how many other types of carbs I can afford.

I'll tell you straight-up that coming from a dedicated Induction mindset--not just from this recent re-start on January 3, but from long ago when I maintained that mindset for far too long--it felt weird to enter an amount of vegetables that came to 20-ish net grams of carbs. It felt "wrong" until I learned to just relax and trust the system, and now it feels totally fine. It's usually between 17-20 net grams from permissible vegetables and salad, with those extra few carbs coming from cheese and eggs.

8-10 net grams is kind of a lot of carbs to eat in one sitting, so what I do is make sure to eat my vegetables earlier in the day and spaced out into two meals. I generally do not have much protein along with my veggies; I make sure to use fat. As I said before, I don't have any carbs past the hour of four o'clock or so. That's just my own personal quirk, but having protein for dinner satisfies me, so why mess with it?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to start making some crockpot dinners soon (just got a crockpot last night) and I know I can throw a lot of veggies in there so I am thinking that will help a lot. Also maybe I should start doing what you do and prepare my stuff the night before. Lately I've been running about 15 minutes late every morning because it takes forever to make my food to take to work because I do a lot of trying to decide what I want and how many carbs it is and so on. My boyfriend and I just had a conversation the other night about how he was gonna try to take his lunch to work and I told him I would make it for him the night before so I should do mine then too...I might have to go to walmart after work now and find some good insulated lunch boxes!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #56

kerbear, it feels like I have more time in the evenings to take care of business than to do all the prep work right when I'm ready to eat. Maybe you would find it helpful!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Thank you for this thread! I have been lurking around looking for information. I read the book years ago and I have done Atkins multiple times but never got past induction. I always think "I'm doing well, might as well just stay on induction." But each time, I get bored or get into some situation where I'm tempted and I give up. This time I am determined to move into OWL.

Something that caught my eye on the website was that they mentioned to "continue eating lean protein" but I guess I didn't think that was an issue - cheeseburgers and bacon save me on this WOE. Don't get me wrong, I love chicken, fish, etc... but I do love some nice tasty fatty steak! Are they just pushing "healthy" fats because of all the backlash?

I am eager to add in more veggies. Ironically I used to be a vegetarian - even vegan. But all of the grains and carbs blew me up like a balloon. I love salads and broccoli - I'm even craving it right now - and nuts, so I think I am looking forward to OWL.

The biggest thing is making peace with the fact that I won't lose as fast as induction and that it's OK! I didn't put this weight on in a month, I can't expect it to come off that fast!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Are they just pushing "healthy" fats because of all the backlash?
That's my assumption and I'm not happy about it.

Quote:
The biggest thing is making peace with the fact that I won't lose as fast as induction and that it's OK! I didn't put this weight on in a month, I can't expect it to come off that fast!
I completely agree. Plus, if you lose it slower, you are more likely to keep it off, I think. I also think if you lose the weight slowly you won't have as many issues with loose, saggy skin tone.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Thanks for the response. I have already lost 5 lbs in 3 days - living on cheeseburgers (no bun), steak, bacon, and a little romaine or greenleaf. I am drinking iced green tea like crazy too - unsweetened and it's really tasty!
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #60

Best of luck to you, Chase! Oh--and welcome--sorry, I forgot to say it because I was busy being irritated with the Atkins site for pandering to the anti-fat contingent!

Now, are you planning to add a little more to your salads and maybe have a cup or two of cooked veggies too?