Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #511
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
wow you guys were busy this weekend
welcome all you new folk.

Cals in will depend on the person and their active life style, Dr Atkins euphomism for exercise. Atkisn will allow us to eat higher cals not just because of the mandatory exercis4e part but cause carbs need only 4% of their cals to be processed from mouth to energy while fats and proteins need much more. Switching from the USDA 60% carbs diet to the Atkins 65% fats30% proteins and 5% carbs will give us 25-30% more of our eatten cals used to process the food from mouth to energy. 1200 USDA cals would be 1560 Atkins cals for the same energy expenditure for processing just the food. tosss in the exercise and you get even more cals. Also you guys are going to have to adjust your goal weights upward based on body fat percents cause if you are eating and working your atkins correctly you will be adding lean body tissues too which do have scale weight. When my doc said I had lost enough weight and should stop I thought he was nuts!!!! I was like I'm less then 10 pounds from a healthy weight and you want me to stop?!?!? No WAY!!!!
I chased those artifical scale numbers for 6 extra very frustrating very little scale weight loss months until I realized I was actually underweighht based on body fat% even though the BMI and the height weight charts said I was still overweight.

Please keep checking your body fat % and don't follow my example and pass your stopping weight by cause you got your eyes on that scale number prize.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #512
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
2big, I just love you to pieces. You are such a source of wisdom and information around here.

Ultimately, I don't really care what number the scale says--you're right. I haven't had my body fat tested, though. Will they do that at the doctor's office? Do they have calipers there, usually?
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #513
Big Yapper!!!!

some docs have a hand heald machine to measure your body fat others use calipers. If you go with calipers make sure you get measured at the same spot each time for comparison. If you have any body landmarks like freckles, scars, funny stretchmarks or moles you can be sure to use that spot each time for a better comparison as you shrink.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
I admit I do not understand how measuring body fat works, apart from the hydrostatic (is that the right word? --immersion) method.
I have skinny arms and legs, but ALL my fat is just plunked down in my torso, so that I have no waist and look like a sack of Idaho potatoes in the middle. How can an electronic scale or a pair of calipers on my bicep possibly tell me what my actual body fat percentage is? Could my waist or something really flabby be measured with calipers instead? I don't know of anywhere around here that would do the immersion method, or how much it would cost.
I like what SugarFreeSheila says about when to know you're at goal. She says when you step out of the shower, catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, and want to shout "Brick House!" then you're there. Makes me giggle every time, because right now I try to AVOID catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror! I wonder what it would be like to pleasantly surprise myself with a look in the mirror one day.
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #515
Big Yapper!!!!

well you need to remember Sugarfreesheilia wasn't a super heavyweight to begin with so she isn't going to have the lose skin saggy tummy issue many of us have even with less then 15% body fat.

They should be measuring your waist too not just arm fat.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #516

I had that experience recently. I'm not near goal yet, but for the first time in a long time, my middle is a little narrower than my armpits. I almost have a waist, sort of; my sides don't curve outward, they curve slightly inward. Though with my build, even when I'm skinny I've never had a defined waist. I simply don't have the waist-to-hip ratio some women have.

But anyway, it was very surprising to see that in the mirror.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #517
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thirteen Pounds
Stats: 208/157/135 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
Have you guys tried either the New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred? I love the Shred because well, it kicks my buttocks and I can do it at home. It's pretty motivating, but OMG to get me to do it...it's like pulling teeth. I truly hate exercise.

The NROLFW is a pretty awesome program, and if any of you are interested in really reving up your metabolism and really building some muscle (not bulk, but strength and definition) you should read it!
I've done 30 day shred. It is not a joke!!!!!!!! I also like the FIRM (not the new ones--they kinda suck-- but the older ones).
Thirteen Pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 AM   #518
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Morning all!

I feel very thin today. I haven't lost anything in the last couple of weeks, but my clothes are feeling looser recently.

I hurt my back a few days ago, so that kept me off my nice new rebounder. But it's okay again now, so I'll be boucing tonight. Just got to take it slow and get used to it. I think my back issue last week was due to using muscles differently with the new type of exercise. So I just have to make sure not to get carried away until my muscles have got used to the new exercise.

Today's menu:
B: 2 pork soss, 2 fried eggs. Hot tea. Starbucks Americano, black, on the way to work.
S: Babybel cheese
L: Tuna and cheese stuffed crustless quiche. Cherry tomatos. Peach.
d: Crockpot beef brisket, savoy cabbage, a little red onion. Veggies sauted in butter and garlic with maybe a little grated cheese on the top. Or I might save the cheese as an after dinner snack.

Confession time! I had a latte yesterday. Naughty! I tend to weaken and get one once a week or once every two weeks. Always whole milk. It's the foam. I just love the foam. I don't think milk is inherantly bad, it's nutritious stuff, and the carbs from the lactose in it never make me hungry or anything. As long as I don't start having them every day...

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #519
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AquaSeas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
...Also you guys are going to have to adjust your goal weights upward based on body fat percents cause if you are eating and working your atkins correctly you will be adding lean body tissues too which do have scale weight... ...Please keep checking your body fat % and don't follow my example and pass your stopping weight by cause you got your eyes on that scale number prize.
This is excellent advice. It made me stop and wonder if I should reevaluate my own goal weight. The last time I was at that weight, I was totally inactive and didn't have an ounce of muscle. In fact I was a little on the thin side yet quite flabby, which seems like a contradiction.

This time I'm determined to live a more active lifestyle. After only 18 days I can already notice a bit more definition in my abs.

Lots to think about this morning. Thanks 2big!
AquaSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #520
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Okay so I don't have a real way to check my body fat percentage (ie hydrostatic weighing, DEXA scan, or even calipers) so I'm going by height/weight and neck/waist/hip ratio. According to that, I'm nearly 40% bodyfat!!! Is that possible? I mean I have muscles, I can see them in my arm!

Part of the problem I think is that after 125lb weight loss I have excess skin, so I don't know if I am really measuring accurately. Is there any other way I can figure this out? I just don't feel that I can be 38.8% fat. Of course I may be wrong...this also doesn't take into account my bone density or organ size...*sigh* I'd love to be 18% body fat but THAT doesn't seem likely.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #521

Well, the excess skin obviously adds to overall weight, right? I would think that'd mess up the accuracy of the estimate.

I ended up going on a two hour nature walk yesterday on a new trail. It was fun and I saw lots of birds and animals.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

I estimate about 5lbs in excess skin. If/when I have a tummy tuck, I think that's how much they'll take off. I also think it adds inches to my hips as well. Ugh.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #523
Senior LCF Member

Lots of new folks! This is great. It's good to see so many people moving along in OWL.

I am really enjoying seeing the scale drop, even though it is going very slowly. I've been at 141.5 for a couple of days now. I'm averaging a loss of a little less than 1 pound per week, but it now seems to be coming off pretty regularly--a half pound every 3-4 days. After a long plateau back in March, this is encouraging.

When I finally kick 140 out of my life for good, a friend and I are going to go out together for wine and cheese. I know I'll have to be very careful with the wine and limit to just a single glass, but that is such a treat I am really looking forward to it.

I wonder how much my excess skin weighs. Mine is from pregnancy stretching. Apparently my skin had no elasticity at all, because I have the worst stretch marks--more like surface tearing--that I have ever seen on anyone, all from my belly button downward. I also have a terrible scar right down my midsection from a surgery when I was 20. The surgeon did a Texas-chainsaw job on me and the scar is about 6" long and a full 2" wide. It was drawn too tightly too, so it caused a puckering effect down the whole length of it. I didn't know it then, but according to dr. friends I now know, I could have insisted on plastic surgery to repair it at that surgeon's cost because it was such a sloppy job. But at 20 years old, I didn't know I could tell a doctor he hadn't done something well enough. So no bikini for me, no matter how skinny I get. (But that's really OK with me.)
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #524

Good morning OWLies!

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Jacques Pepin, but I catch his cooking shows once in a while and I love him. He's so unassuming and accessible, and he for sure isn't afraid to use fat in his cooking.

Yesterday I saw a show in which he prepared a simple, simple recipe for Brussels sprouts sauteed in bacon. He ran the sprouts through a food processor to slice them thinly. They were sort of shredded, actually. Then he tossed them in a skillet with three thick pieces of (chopped) bacon and added salt and pepper and that was it. I've done this with cabbage, but never thought to do it with Brussels sprouts--which are rapidly becoming one of my favorite vegetables, by the way. Usually I pan-roast them with some chicken thighs so that the drippings from the chicken provide the oil to cook them, and that is delicious.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #525
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
That sounds yum. I love sprouts! Think I'll include some on the shopping list for next week.

Today's menu for me
b: 2 pork soss, 2 eggs fried in butter (run out of lard, dammit!)
s: babybel
l: Crustless quiche, cherry tomatoes, peach
d: Crockpot made beef brisket, savoy cabbage, red onion - veggies sauted in butter & garlic
s: piece of cheese.

And lotsa coffee today, I'm rather tired! Just black coffee, no cream today.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #526
Major LCF Poster!

Today's menu for me...well first, an update. After my 12 days on induction where I lost 10 lbs, I gained back about 1.5lbs and am resting at 170, and have been since April 12th. Okay it's only 10 days, so I TRIED to add back more carbs, but with our limited choices here in Cape Verde it's been hard to get more veggies in. So I was looking at the Atkins site and it says you can START adding to the ladder with ANY of the first three rungs. I've been thinking maybe I can get my carbs up and that will boost my weight loss POSSIBLY. So yesterday I had a couple spoonfuls of homemade yogurt and today I ate 50g of peanuts, which according to the package is 7 carbs but 4.5g of fiber, making it only 2.5 carbs. I also added twice the amount of onion and pepper to my salad this morning. Tonight I'm going to try to eat a big salad and grilled eggplant, onions and peppers.
So today...
B - bacon, cheese, onion and pepper omlette
S - none
L - pork steak with a tiny amount of mushrooms (OMG totally didn't even want the giant plate of fries in front of me)
S - a Frize "diet soda" and a pack of peanuts
D - Grilled steak, onions, peppers and eggplant, maybe a salad too.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #527
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey guys and welcome all you knew folk and Peanutte no fair changing your avatar I thought you were a newbie too LOL. My computer fried the power supply when the power went out so I've been off line for a few days.
Peanutte do you cook the sprounts in the bacon or just toss raw sprouts with it?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #528

Sorry I faked you out, 2big!

On his show, Pepin let the bacon cook for a bit to give off its fat, and then cooked the sprouts in with it. He added a little water to steam them, covered it for a while, then took off the lid and let the steam escape.

I mean it's not a big deal; any of us might have done the same thing on our own--it's just nice to see a cooking show in which everything isn't reduced-fat or low-fat.

Weigh-in today: I didn't lose anything this week, but such is life, and I'm not worried about it. My eating was clean and balanced, so I'm just going to shrug it off and keep going.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
I there... I know it's been a while. We had some drama and I fell off the wagon big time.

My husband went out with my son (14yr old) on their dirtbikes in the desert. Then, I get a phone call... "dad's hurt"

We called 911, ambulance came, got him to the hospital and he went right into surgery. 8 broken ribs, collapsed lung, ruptured spleen (removed)... He spent several days in ICU and then 9 days in the hospital. He's home now and healing, but it was a very scary time.

I barely ate the first few days - and when I did it was from the hospital cafeteria or a vending machine. Yuck. Worrying about food and my weight has been the last thing on my mind but now it's the only thing on my mind...

So, what did I miss?

Peanutte - looks like you have been doing great! I think you are down like 8 pounds since I've been gone! Congrats!!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #530

Hi, Chase! I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, and your stress, but it's really nice to see you again!

That avatar picture is really sweet. Look at your little golfer!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #531
Senior LCF Member

ChaseMama--what a terrible experience! Glad to hear he's home and healing now.
I think I've come over to this OWL thread since your departure, so, Hi.
We have the same start date and it looks like we were close to the same starting size. I had the exciting experience today of pulling a pair of last year's short pants out of the drawer (it was over 80 degrees here in NC finally, for the first time!) and finding them way too big. Size 12s. I don't want to go buy more until I get solidly into the 130s. I'm honestly hoping to just skip over the 10s and move straight to some 8s. I can pin these up for a few weeks, I think.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #532

I'm doing the same thing with my 10s, eklektos. I just belt 'em up and am trying to wait for 2 sizes smaller.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #533
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SinnyDipper
Stats: 160/128/120
WOE: Atkins pre-maintenance
Start Date: January 2009
Hi girls, I'm still around but just trying to recover from one of the worst weeks of my life had a couple of huge shocks followed by the stress of trying to deal with it, next week I have to get through the aftermath.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm still around and I haven't used the stress as an excuse to eat crap, if anything I haven't eaten enough this week

Might not post much for the next week or so but I will still be popping in to keep an eye on you all
Old 04-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #534

Sinny, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope things get better for you soon.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #535
Senior LCF Member

I spent $300 at Costco on Saturday and then spent the rest of the weekend vacuum sealing meat, cheese, and veggies. It's very exciting!

Thanks for the welcomes back! It's good to be here. Of course I had my TOM show up this weekend as well. WOW was I cranky!

I hope you all have a great week!
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #536
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thirteen Pounds
Stats: 208/157/135 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins Plus
Whelp-- I went off plan too. No good excuse, though this was my first cycle without birth control in 10 years and wow! It was a rough one.

I haven't weighed but can tell I'm bigger. To top it off, it's unbearably hot here and I have nothing that fits.

I'm feeling pretty down.

Back on plan today though and back in ketosis already.

Sigh.
Thirteen Pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #537

Just get back on track and move forward, Smilee.

I'm making my spinach and feta quiche right now...I haven't planned out my entire day's menu but I think it'll be a big BLT salad for lunch and something involving chicken and broccoli for dinner.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #538
Senior LCF Member

hehe Peanutte - I like your signature quote.

I just had some scrambled eggs for breakfast. I packed a leftover grilled cheeseburger, some tuna, and a protein shake for lunch. Not going to eat all of that - just wanted to have a few options. I'm in the first week again - going through withdrawals and I have a hard time eating - nothing sounds appetizing at all.

Sorry you are having a rough week Smilee! It's only a little blip in your life - it will get better!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #539
Big Yapper!!!!

welcome back
glad you guys are heading in the right direction again.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #540
Senior LCF Member

I forgot this was an "OWL" page. I just kind of considered it my "home page!"

Hope you don't mind me sticking around until I get back to OWL again!