Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #481
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Menu today:
So far:
b: 2 egg omelette, with grated cheddar cheese. Blackberries.
l: leftover roast pork, stirfried with veggies (onion, leek & mushroom) and some cheese grated on top
s: Babybel. Couple of big mugs of decaf coffee with double cream over a couple of hours.

Later:
d: Roast lamb with green beans and onion.
That should be the lot for the day.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #482
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Roast lamb! What time should I come over?

How's everybody's weekend going?
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #483
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mamagettinglean
Stats: 254/218/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2009
Would you mind if I joined? I just changed to OWL on Tuesday and would love some support.

Krissie
mamagettinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I dunno what's up with me. I've been eating 20 carbs a day this week and, at first, the scale went up from 168.4 to 170 (I think I was dehydrated and just rehydrated though) and now in 6 days it's stayed at 169.6 - 170. I know it's not a stall, it's just hard to see the scale move so much for two weeks, then move in the wrong direction and then just sit there. I've been focusing on upping my veggies just a bit to make sure I get in 20g of carbs, and also watching how much cream and cheese I use so I don't "waste" my carbs on those sort of things. I know I just need to be patient, this isn't a race, I'm not switching from low carb, but it would be nice to see the scale move!
Yesterdays menu:
Breakfast - steak and eggs
Lunch - Tuna salad and lettuce salad
Snack - Fried cheese crisps
Dinner - Egg Foo Young
I felt the whole not hungry/nausea thing for quite a bit of the day yesterday so I think I'm in ketosis again. I also drank nearly 4 liters of water/teas, so that was pretty awesome. Focusing on the healthy eating part, not the weight loss part...or trying to.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #485
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AquaSeas
Another newbie; well kinda...

Hello everybody!

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd finally jump in.

I was doing Atkins WOE about five years back, lost 20 lbs and maintained for two years. Then I had a hysterectomy, went on HRT and gained it all back. I took a hard look in the mirror April 2nd and restarted Atkins induction the next day.

This time around, I did induction for one week to kickstart me back into ketosis, then started the OWL program that worked so well for me last time; eating less than 30 carbs a day and keeping to an approximate ratio of 8% carb, 26% protein, 66% fat. I'm allergic to tree nuts and have a ton of food intolerances so I randomly pick and choose the extra carbs from The Power of Five groupings.

I loathe exercising with the heat of ten thousand fiery suns, but I force myself to rotate between 10-14 km stationary bike, 35 min work out DVD and 3 mile walk. I will admit it helps get rid of that annoying belly fat that keeps me from wearing so many of my jeans/pants.

My Achilles heel is chips. BBQ chips. I could eat them 24/7. Dana Carpender's cracker recipes have totally saved my low carb WOE!

I've been reading all of the posts and gaining inspiration from all of you!
AquaSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #486
Major LCF Poster!

You should try to make your own cheese chips! Take 2oz of cheddar cheese and shred it, then sprinkle a little in a pan on medium head. Sprinkle seasoning on it - Penzey's spices makes a few BBQ spice mixes that you can add to ketchup to make your own BBQ sauce but I've used it sprinkled on the cheese. When it melts and starts to get little brown, take it off and put it on a plate, and dig in!!! I found it totally gets rid of all of those salty crunchy cravings. I love it with dill weed too. Mmmmm dill cheese chips.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #487
Junior LCF Member

Great idea Dovelette! I'm always looking for recipes to keep me away from the BBQ chips. I swear they call to me from the grocery store...

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #488

Hello and welcome, Aqua and Mama! Nice to add some new voices to the conversation.

Dove, how are your calories? I find that I have a tendency to let my daily calorie count creep down, and then I have to drive it up by a few hundred calories again.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

I've sort of been logging on Calorie Count for my carb count, but I don't add in everything, like extra butter or olive oil, so my "food" counts are usually around 1400 a day but I think with the extra butter/olive oil or other random "protein/fat only" items I'm eating around 1800. I had a few days around 1000 at the beginning because I was feeling sick but now its pretty consistant I think. Then again...I think by the end of the day today I may only end up with about 1200...hrm...well today it looks like I'm only eating about 9 net/12 regular carbs too (though I don't know to count the liquid sweetener I'm using...it's zero calories and liquid so I was told it was zero carbs). Sundays are hard since the stores aren't open here on Sunday and so you have to really prepare for it.

Normally it's higher because I eat mayo with my egg/tuna salad and I add a bit of onion on regular salads and in tuna salad, but today I had an egg cream for breakfast, had bacon and eggs and cheese for lunch, and will probably have fried cheese as a snack, and bonito fish with green beans for dinner. Maybe I'll have another egg cream or something for after dinner!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #490

Please don't take this as being critical...it might be that 1800 is a bit high for you to continue losing. I don't know; I just know that it would be too high for me, and I'm of a similar weight to you. However, I also have a useless thyroid, and even though I take my Synthroid, I don't know that my hypothyroidism might make it more difficult for me to lose. I suppose it depends upon how much exercise you're getting, too. Anyway, I'm not saying "Whoa, 1800 is too high!" because for many people it wouldn't be. I'm just saying that for me, it would be maintenance calories.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm, I was under the impression that Atkins said that we should be eating 1800 to lose for women and 2000 for men?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #492

That may be a general guideline, but you should calculate your BMR and activity levels and use that as a better guide. Again, please don't think I was being critical; if I could eat more and lose weight, I'd be thrilled! it just doesn't happen for me, though. A lot of people CAN eat more than I do and lose weight.

I'm just grasping at straws, trying to help you figure out why things aren't progressing the way you'd like them to be. Honestly, it sounds like you're doing everything just fine, so I'm at a loss as to why you're having a little up-and-down. It could be anything, really.

I should just shut up now, because I don't feel like I'm being helpful!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

OMG SHUT UP! lol Er, I mean DON'T shut up! You didn't say anything wrong or even remotely critical. Seriously! I appreciate the advice and you trying to come up with what is going on. I totally may be eating too many calories; the last time I figured out my "calories burned" it was around 2200 a day, so 1800 is eating at a 400 calorie deficit so in theory I should be losing, BUT I've lost weight since then so I may need to eat less, that's a definate possibility!

But...

I'm going to give my body time to adjust to the 8-10lb loss over the past couple weeks, watch my cream intake (I think I'm having too much, I thought we could have 2oz a day but it's only 2tbsp/1oz...dunno if that's affecting it) and cut back a little on the oils which should cut out maybe 100-200 calories a day. It's not like I have any other options...the only other option is calorie counting LOL so why not eat foods I enjoy while calorie counting right? And once this round of bacon is eaten we're not buying more because it's too expensive.

I'm going to start tracking better on calorie count to see what my actual calorie intake is, and if I can try to aim for closer to 1600 a day.

Don't make me cover over there and smack you.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #494

Yes, Miss!

I don't mean to be overly sensitive; I just get characterized as being a meanie sometimes for saying things that aren't super-soft.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

I'm on a lot of yahoo groups where people are brutal and honest, so I'm used to lack of candy coating Besides, if we're always worried about how someone will "feel" when we are offering a reality check, then they may never get the dose of reality that they need!

Oh I forgot to ask, about how many calories do you eat a day, and what does your exercise/activity schedule look like?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thirteen Pounds
Stats: 208/157/135 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins Plus
Hi! I'm new to the forum, but not new to Atkins. This is actually my second (third? fourth?) time around and I want to do it right!

I'm in my fourth week of OWL and would love some support.
Thirteen Pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #497

Hi, Smilee! Welcome! Are you able to significantly increase your carbs or are you focusing more on adding foods from the ladder for variety?

Dove, my calories can vary depending upon the day, but I'd say they average out at about 1400. My goal is to work out four times a week...sometimes I do that and more, sometimes I do less. Last week was not good for exercise and I need to make up for that this week. I don't count any activity as a workout unless my heart rate is elevated enough to make me sweat, so I may go for a walk just to get some fresh air and enjoy the sunshine, but that wouldn't meet my requirement for 4 times a week (2big has talked about increasing the intensity of walks by going uphill, walking faster, etc.). Usually I use my elliptical trainer, or do step aerobics, and I just bought 2 Tae Bo tapes at the library for 25 cents each at a book sale last weekend. I've done Tae Bo before and it's fun. I also have ten pound dumbbells I can use for some lunges, squats and upper body work.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #498
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi, new Owlies! Yes, there is LAI - Life After Induction.

My food today:

b: 2 beef soss, 2 fried eggs, coffee with cream. And another (black) coffee on the way to work.
s: Babybel cheese
l: Crustless quiche (tuna & cheese filling), cherry tomatoes, small peach
d: Gammon steak, 1 or 2 eggs. fried mushrooms
s: slice of cheese, or some cold chicken I have in the fridge.

Comments:
Sausage is from the store's premium range, as I am very fussy abous sausage. Cheap sausage can have all kinds of carb fillers in it. It's a real "you get what you pay for" item in my opinion. Check labels, buy the best quality ones you can afford.

A peach! Just a small one, but what a juicy, fuzzy, springtime treat to have my first peach in ages.

I'm loving my crustless quiches lately! I've discovered that if I leave it in the oven after it's finished cooking, after the oven is turned off, it doesn't shrink so much as when it goes from hot oven to cool kitchen in one go.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.

Last edited by junkfoodmonkey; 04-20-2009 at 02:33 AM..
Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 AM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Mmmm JFM that sounds like a killer menu! Mine is not so fun LOL.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 10g onion, 10gpeppers, 1.5 slices cheese, 1 slice bacon, 1oz cream in my big fat giant 32 oz tea, 32oz water, and 1/2 tbsp butter (5 carbs/4 net carbs/410 calories)

Snack - Dunno if I'll need one, but if so an egg cream w/ 2 eggs, 1oz cream, 1oz coconut milk, liquid sweetener (3 carbs, about 280 calories)

Lunch - Tuna patties made with tuna, egg, cheese and spices, and garlic dill mayo on top, small salad (4 carbs-ish, haven't weighed it out yet)

Snack - 2oz cheese (2 carbs)

Dinner - Leftover taco salad (8 to 11 carbs)
Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #500
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
Mmmm JFM that sounds like a killer menu! Mine is not so fun LOL.
Whaddya talking about? That sounds delish! Well aside from the egg-cream, I'm not a raw egg fan, they freak me out.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #501
Junior LCF Member

Hi Smilee, nice to meet you! Thanks for the welcome, Peanutte.

I made the oopsie roll recipe for the first time yesterday. I used the dough for one small pizza crust and 4 toaster sized buns. I highly recommend it for anybody looking for a way to eat pizza with the family. I was surprised at how well the crust stood up to the toppings.

I lightly toasted two of the buns and spread butter and peanut butter on them for breakfast this morning. Yummy! Also 2 sausage links.*
Lunch - left-over pizza
Dinner - steak and tossed green salad - Renees makes a tangerine/lime vinaigrette with only 1g carb per tbsp that I've been dying to try
Snacks - sunflower seed/cheddar crackers and a couple of small bite-sized pieces of cantaloupe.
1 tea and 1 coffee for entire day

Today's planned exercise is a workout DVD warmup and a short run; the first run I've attempted in 3 years.

* I hear you on the sausage, Junkfoodmonkey. I was disgusted at the range of carbs in the packages I picked up. I finally found one that was 1 g carb per sausage.

Dovelette, I average about 1400 cal/day, keep my carbs under 30 g/day and try to get in some form of sweat-inducing exercise at least 5 times a week. So far I'm losing about a pound a week but am also gaining some new muscle.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thirteen Pounds
Stats: 208/157/135 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Hi, Smilee! Welcome! Are you able to significantly increase your carbs or are you focusing more on adding foods from the ladder for variety?
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Your menus look wonderful...

Peanutte, I've found that I GAIN at 30 grams, so I've added foods up to the berry rung while keeping the carbs right around 25. I also added exercise last week, so we'll see if that will help me be able to increase my carbs. By the way, I'm a yo-yo dieter...30 years old. I came down from about 200 lbs years ago and maintained for quite some time. This regain is actually a weight my body stuck at for several months on the way down, so I don't expect it to the easy, but...
Thirteen Pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #503

Looking at your stats, you're the same height as me and have a similar goal to my Actual End Goal. 135 is a great weight for me. I'm pretty thin at that weight; if I get down to 120 my body looks kind of gaunt, even though according to all the charts, 120 should be perfectly fine for my height. I'm not stressing over deciding what my Maintenance Goal will be,though; I'm just plugging away to get to that 150 goal.

Was it AquaSeas who declared she loathes exercise but does it anyway? That's pretty much me, too. I don't necessarily hate it every time I'm doing it and I usually feel good afterward, but talking myself into starting a workout is the hardest part.

junkfoodmonkey, you and I are both in love with crustless quiches, Now, mine never shrink or "fall", so let me tell you what I do. I use 2 or 3 eggs with 1 Tbsp heavy cream, beaten together, and also I cook mine at 325 for an hour in a water bath. The water bath keeps them very light and fluffy and I've never had a problem with shrinkage. Of course, this is time consuming, but I'm not pressed for time in the morning so it works out fine for me.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #504
Major LCF Poster!

I'm a huge crustless quiche fan too, I've been making them for YEARS now. I could personally care less about shrinkage, I like them fluffy, I like them dense, I like them hot, I like the cold, I like them on a train, I like them in the rain. I just like them lol. I make a big huge one and then we eat it for dinner 2 nights and then for several lunches as well. It makes 12 big pieces when I do it, so for us that's 4 to 6 meals. Mmmm it's on my food schedule for next Monday!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #505
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Was it AquaSeas who declared she loathes exercise but does it anyway?
Oh yeah. That was me. I spend more time looking for ways to avoid exercising than time actually exercising. My house has never been so clean!

Like you, I do feel better (and more than a little bit proud of myself) when I do finish a workout of any type. And it does help get rid of those flabby inches...

I've never had a crustless quiche. Sounds good. I love having new recipes to try.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Have you guys tried either the New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred? I love the Shred because well, it kicks my buttocks and I can do it at home. It's pretty motivating, but OMG to get me to do it...it's like pulling teeth. I truly hate exercise.

The NROLFW is a pretty awesome program, and if any of you are interested in really reving up your metabolism and really building some muscle (not bulk, but strength and definition) you should read it!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #507

I've heard nothing but good things about the NROLFW. Anyone who's ever mentioned it has said it's absolutely great.

I'd like to try the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred because I like what she has to say about intensity training vs. longer, milder workouts. I'd rather work hard for half an hour than slog through a more moderate workout for 45 minutes to an hour.

My crustless quiche is in the oven as we speak; ham, broccoli and cheddar today. I'm pissed, though, because I forgot to get heavy cream yesterday--I usually get the little half-pint size and that lasts me for two weeks. But my boyfriend ran out to Target and I asked him to get some for me. He thought he got the right kind; it says "whipping cream" but when I used a tablespoon of it just now, it seemed thin. So I looked at the carton. The first ingredient is skim milk and then it has a bunch of fillers. Not using that again! Why the hell do they have to mess with something as simple as heavy cream?! It's just CREAM! There's no need to cut corners! Oh well.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #508
Junior LCF Member

NROLFW and Jillian Michaels both sound really interesting. Thanks. I'm going to see if either is available at the library. I'm in desperate need of toning my upper arms and stomach, both of which are a sorry sight at the moment.

I'm trying to do the 'Kathy Kaehler Basics : Total Fitness Workout' DVD this week. I've discovered that I have two left feet, absolutely no rhythm and suck at following basic instructions. However, even bumbling through the workout builds up a sweat so I guess it's mission accomplished!

eta - that quiche sounds delish!

Last edited by AquaSeas; 04-20-2009 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #509

Aqua, you should have seen me trying to learn my step tape back in the day, I'd never done an aerobics tape before and was tripping all over myself.

But now I know the moves well enough that I can actually watch a TV show and just do my own routine if I don't feel like following the tape. Sometimes I would rather bypass the cheesy 80s music and the laughable workout fashions of my trusty old Jane Fonda step tape. But other times I find the earnest, chipper instructors and their funny outfits to be amusing and oddly compelling in their upbeat-ness. One thing I cannot stand is a workout tape where the instructor is grim and joyless; there was a popular step instructor in the early 90s whose workouts felt like punishment, and she was just so DOUR. Ha!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #510
Junior LCF Member

Kathy Kaehler is really chipper. But her "c'mon you can do it, it doesn't matter how high you lift that leg" comments always come at the point where I'm ready to lie on the floor and wave the white flag. It's actually hilarious. She must have used some poor out-of-shape soul like me as her guinea pig when she designed the workout!