Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #421
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Gotta agree with OWL being a time for testing and experimenting. I can eat berries, but I can't eat melon, even though it's technically on the same rung. It makes me ravenously hungry. Yet the apples, no problems.

I haven't ventured to the starchy vegetables yet, though when the Jersey Royal New Potatoes come into season I'll probably have a couple of little ones, because they are a wonder of nature.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #422
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I can eat berries, but I can't eat melon, even though it's technically on the same rung. It makes me ravenously hungry.
The 120 g of blackberries I had with 2 Tbsp heavy cream (late morning snack) left me feeling ravenous about two hours later--I mean real, urgent, physical hunger. I don't care for that feeling. Hence, I rarely eat them. I think I get the same essential nutrients as fruit from my fresh veggies anyway. I get no noticeable reaction from eating my one Wasa cracker with cheese or liverwurst, which is why for the past two weeks I think it's been fine to add those.

I guess we're all walking science experiments!
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #423
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
The 120 g of blackberries I had with 2 Tbsp heavy cream (late morning snack) left me feeling ravenous about two hours later--I mean real, urgent, physical hunger. I don't care for that feeling. Hence, I rarely eat them. I think I get the same essential nutrients as fruit from my fresh veggies anyway. I get no noticeable reaction from eating my one Wasa cracker with cheese or liverwurst, which is why for the past two weeks I think it's been fine to add those.

I guess we're all walking science experiments!
That's a shame. I love blackberries. I love 'em with Fage, so tart. That wakes ya up.

But yep, if you can't eat something you can't eat it. Tough luck, but no use risking derailing yourself.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #424

junkfoodmonkey, I might be able to eat like, five or six berries with a hunk of cheese or something. This was probably close to a cup of berries. Probably just too many at once. Anyway, it's good to know what we can and can't tolerate well. Lentils seem to be just fine, thank goodness.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
I am amazed at all these possible triggers. I haven't gotten so far along as to be able to test many things. I know a few strawberries are OK for me. I've had them twice since I started OWL (5 medium berries each time), thoroughly enjoyed them, and didn't crave more of those or anything else.
BUT--I've been hungry all day today. I don't know what the trigger could be. The two things yesterday that could have set me off are roasted turkey (I roasted a whole bird yesterday and had some for dinner--the first time I've had "fresh" turkey since on this WOE; I have had canned and deli-sliced turkey, as well as turkey bacon), or celery.
I see that 2Big says celery is a trigger for her. Who could have thought it? Celery! Considered the most benign of diet foods! I ate 2 stalks last night w/cream cheese, and have wanted to eat something all day long today.
It was celery with peanut butter that I had last week when I gained 2 pounds overnight. Could celery, not peanut butter, be the culprit?
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #426

Try not having some for a week or two and see what happens! Also, are you eating enough fat (60-70% of your daily calories, or thereabouts)?

[edit] The reason I ask is, when I am experiencing true hunger on a totally reasonable amount of calories, I need to check my percentages on ****** to make sure I'm getting enough fat. Healthy dietary fat is our secret weapon. 200 calories of fat will keep me feeling satisfied way longer than 200 calories of vegetables or protein by themselves. I always make sure to have fat incorporated with every meal ever since 2big advised me not to eat protein as a meal by itself (which I used to do at dinnertime).

Everyone has her own definition of what "triggers" mean to her, and what degree of scrutiny she needs to maintain in order to be on top of those triggers. I don't want to overthink everything; I just make a mental note if a certain food in a certain quantity makes me start to feel squirrelly. "Squirrelly" to me means: hungry between mealtimes in an unusual way; feeling impulsive about food; feeling like shoving something in my mouth without wanting to stop and evaluate its appropriateness; or feeling jittery (indicating a blood sugar spike).

Last edited by peanutte; 04-09-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Peanutte, your definition of "squirrelly" is precisely what I was feeling like today. And yes, today was lower fat than most days. That may be the reason.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #428

Well, good--I'm glad if my explanation helped you assess your situation today. I don't know about you, but I get really used to NOT feeling that urgent sense of hunger, and when it hits me out of the blue, I feel a little bit alarmed.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SinnyDipper
Stats: 160/128/120
WOE: Atkins pre-maintenance
Start Date: January 2009
Hi ladies , haven't been on for a couple of days as I had comp problems !! DS worked his magic though and fingers crossed it seems to be ok now !!!

Went for my weigh in last night and I am down another 3 and 1/2lbs I was sooooo pleased! my last few weigh in's haven't been very good and I was starting to think I was stalled,, but I kept hearing Peanuttes voice in my head () telling me not to change anything and to ride it out,, and hun,,, you were right
I have 2 weeks now to lose 1 more lb to get to my second mini goal so I think I should make it!
I also got hypnotised last night!!!! my friend is a life coach and she has also trained with Paul McKenna in hypnotism, she did some aversion therapy on me as I've been having cravings for cake,, after what she did just the thought of cake today has made me very !!!!
SinnyDipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #430

How interesting about the aversion hypnosis, Sinny! I've thought about using hypnosis to help me quit smoking...again. I'm proud of you for being patient and not doing anything drastic during those few weeks. I'm starting to get a lot more comfortable with weeks where nothing happens on the scale. I mean, it's not a thrill, but I am more able to put it in perspective more easily than I used to be. Congrats on your 3 1/2 pounds!

I lost 2 this week, so I am super-happy about that. If anyone is interested in ratios, mine have been looking more like 50-55% fat, 30-35% protein, 10-15% carbs as I continue OWLing.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #431
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
well congrats all you losers.
Peanutte since it is already done you don't need to undo it just keep having your Wasa.

Keeping a food journal with the Ws who what where why when and how I felt before during and after eating help me find triggers and to figure out how to avoid them. I even have a person who triggers me so I do not eat anything with that person cause even if I eat perfect with them the stress of a meal with them causes me to want to eat the house afterwards.
Took ofrever to figure out celery was a trigger but I think it had to do with the emotions and info stored with eating celery. since we only ate it on thanksgiving and newyrs eve my body was responding to it as where is my turkey dinner and dessert and where are the party foods filling for this. Not eating it as celery such as in a cooked dish doesn't trigger me so it can be mushy in the soup or casserol or in a base but not crunchy stix.

A whole cup of blackberries was too many carbs for adding them back to your diet and seeing as Dr Atkins carb counter says a cup is 12 net carbs. That is the beauty of the 5 gram rule we expose ourselves to the new to our Atkins foods in a controlled approach so the impact is minimal. I can do a few berries coated in cream and be fine. Some folk add them to salads like croutons and do well. My food loving brain is still thinking I will make berry pie one day and be fine but my reality brain knows it would eat the whole thing with a gallon of icecream so there will be no berry pie in my House of Atkins WOE.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #432

Just to clarify, I didn't necessarily have a cup--I measured by the gram, not by volume. The amount I had should have had 5.5 net grams of carb, so I thought that would be OK. The other few times I've had berries I have probably had less than that, though. Anyway, lessons learned.

Quote:
I even have a person who triggers me so I do not eat anything with that person cause even if I eat perfect with them the stress of a meal with them causes me to want to eat the house afterwards.
Oh, I am so glad you brought this up. This is very, very important. We can sit around tweaking our foods all the live-long day but we really need to pay attention to NON-FOOD TRIGGERS, don't we?

For example, I rarely, rarely eat fast food, but if I am on a road trip, I crave it like you wouldn't believe. I associate it with listening to music while driving with a friend or loved one and enjoying the road trip. The small, enclosed space of the car makes that fast food smell even more enticing somehow. Isn't that interesting?!

When it comes to people--oh yeah, I have some people who I never, until now, thought of as "triggers", but WOW, is that ever true. I have to think about this some more! Thanks for introducing that thought, 2big.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #433
Blabbermouth!!!

Berries are something I still always weigh even when I eyeball other stuff like veggies. My serving is usually 50 grams of berries (carbs obviously vary depending what type they are.) I've been having strawberries this week. Next week will be whatever berries are the best bargain price in the store tomorrow - I'm such a cheapskate!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #434
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Oh, I am so glad you brought this up. This is very, very important. We can sit around tweaking our foods all the live-long day but we really need to pay attention to NON-FOOD TRIGGERS, don't we?
That's so true. There are psychological cues set up from habits, like "go to the movies, eat popcorn". You wouldn't walk around the rest of the time thinking "Rawr! Popcorn now!" But step into the cinema and bam! (Personally I never could stand that stuff.)

Same reason it's so hard to quit smoking even after you get past he physical withdrawal, because yout life is full of cues telling you "time to smoke a cigarette".

We're such creatures of habit that these cues are very powerful. Just gotta resist them until the habit/association is broken.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #435

Quote:
Same reason it's so hard to quit smoking even after you get past he physical withdrawal, because your life is full of cues telling you "time to smoke a cigarette".
This is so very true.

I used to drink wine pretty much every night, and quit cold turkey for a while, until I felt capable of allowing it in my life in a much-reduced, enjoyable and appropriate manner. The main thing I needed to do was re-route those cues. Now it's a weekends-only thing, and even so, only if I feel like it.

At first, when I gave it up, little things like watching a favorite TV show felt weird without a glass of wine in my hand. I learned that a big glass of ice water was just as good. Better, in fact.

If I was feeling bored and antsy in the early evening? Oh, time to grab a glass of wine. Nope, had to re-train that impulse and have this kind of conversation with myself: "Why do you want a glass of wine?" "Because I'm used to having one." "What will happen if you don't have one?" "I don't know--let's find out!"

Sometimes during that first month I had to really fight hard against those deeply ingrained impulses. I had moments where I knew I didn't really want it and yet certain cues were telling me "That's what you normally would be doing right about now. You should do that! That's what 'normal' feels like!" and again, I would simply take a few minutes to sit and think to myself: "So what if that's normal? It's become excessive, it's not good for me, and I'm better than that. I'm not even going to debate it because I don't need to. My decision is made."

I'm not going to lie--it was a big deal and I desperately needed to make that change. I'm proud that it's been about nine months and I am still doing fine with the moderate weekend thing. It got much, much easier as time went on and now I can watch that favorite TV show and not even think about the fact that I'm having ice water instead of wine, because THAT's normal now.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Well I know my kids are triggers for me--stress triggers emotional eating.

When they are good, they are very, very good; but when they are bad....I want ice cream.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Hi OWL's, it looks like everyones doing well. I've been crazy busy at work, and have retreated back to induction levels this week. It definitely takes more time to prepare the veggies I like to boost my carb levels, and I just haven't felt like spending the time to do so. In fact, most nights this week it's been a piece of cheese or a little slice of meat for dinner, and things I made on Sunday for breakfast and lunches: Green Chile Quiche and Pumpkin Bake. I plan to plan ahead this weekend for next week!

The good news is as of last Sunday I was down another 2 lbs., for a total of 25 so far!!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #438

Tonight I felt stumped and indecisive but in the end I threw together a chicken, spinach, and cauliflower curry with coconut milk, curry paste, various spices (lots of cumin) and a little heavy cream. Holy crap, it is so good. It's rich but not too heavy, and just slightly spicy, and it's total comfort food. I know I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm pretty impressed with how this came out.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #439
Senior LCF Member

Bobbin--25 pounds! Way to go!

Peanutte--that sounds yummy, and a friend just offered me coconut milk, but I didn't know what to do with it on this woe. Can you reconstruct a recipe?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #440

Sure!

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Two large boneless skinless chicken thighs--cubed, raw

Four tablespoons veggie curry paste--the kind I get has about 5 net grams of carb for that amount

1/2 cup light coconut milk

4 tablespoons heavy cream

3 cups frozen chopped spinach (measured while frozen)

2 cups raw cauliflower florets

Melt butter in a large skillet and add 2 hearty dashes each of onion powder, garlic powder, curry powder, cayenne, cinnamon, and 6 dashes of cumin.

Add chopped chicken thighs and saute on low/medium heat until surface is well-cooked. Not browned, but cooked.

Add curry paste and press into butter with heat-proof spatula. Add coconut milk and stir thoroughly. Let simmer.

Thaw spinach and drain well. Add to skillet.

Steam cauliflower in microwave until tender. Drain and add to skillet.

Add 4 tablespoons heavy cream to skillet, stir and cover. Let simmer for about fifteen to twenty minutes.

Add salt to taste before serving.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #441
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
here is a little tip a low carb chef told us about to lower the carb count in your coconut milk. heat your oven to 200 degrees and put a an unopened can of coconutmilk in it ( you can do more then one at a time if you want. Then turn off the oven and let it sit overnight. In the morning the fat will have floated to the top and a clear sweet liquid wqill be on the bottom of your can. use a can opener that pokes holes in the can on the bottom and allow the clear liquid to come out. as soon as you see white stuff stop and invert your can. He said it didn't make the coconut milk carb free so count it as what is on the label but know you had less. your other option is to allow you can to sit ofr months on the shelf and let it naturally seperate and repeat the drain proces. But since you are goping to cook the cocnut milk anyways oven seperation will not effect the quality
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #442
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Easter, Owlies!

Easter Sunday menu:

b: Gammon steak and a fried egg
s: apple and piece of cheddar
l: Stir fry chicken and veggies (red pepper, red onion, mushrooms and garlic)
d: Roast lamb, fine beans with a little onion, sauted in butter and garlic. Blackberries and clotted cream.

The lamb is roasting in the slow cooker with garlic, fresh rosemary and a little stock. Smells fabulous!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread and just read all nine pages. Phew!

Tomorrow is day 14 of induction for me and I have lost 10lbs so far. Woohoo! I only have 20 more to reach "goal" although as I get closer to goal I may not want to lose that much. Background...

April 20, 2004 I had WLS and went from 296 to 155. Bounced back to around 162-167, maintained until a 100 day road trip, where I gained 20lbs! Lost some, gained some, moved to Africa, to the land of "would you like a side of potatoes with your rice and spaghetti?" Got back on track in January by counting calories but OMG I was so hungry!!! So 13 days ago I started induction, and here I am! I've lost a total of 16lbs, most of it in the past two weeks, and I'm only a couple pounds from my old "maintence" weight. Next mini goal is 162 - my wedding weight!

I am thinking of moving to OWL on Tuesday, because I don't have that much more to lose, but I'm also thinking of staying on Induction for another week until I hit my 5 year WLS anniversary - more symbolic than anything else, just to see how much I can lose, to see what my 5 years out # is.

But in any event, I am looking forward to moving up the ladder with you guys. I know I'll be skipping the berry rung since we don't have them in Cape Verde, but honestly the things I "miss" most are lentils and oatmeal, so I'm super excited to get to those rungs...I'm hoping that with exercise I will be able to tolerate oatmeal. We'll see!

-Dove
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #444
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi, Dove. I hope to see the day when I can eat oatmeal again. Love that stuff.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

monkey, I meant to post this before to you...I know you said your scale had you at 33% bodyfat. You can't believe the scale though, they are notoriously inaccurate. If you want your bodyfat tested, you could go to a gym and get it done but even THAT is fairly inaccurate because it's hard to get a good measurement - everyone does it a bit different. I think the only way to get a real reading is hydrostatic weighing (though I'm sure that's not easy to find lol) but I just wanted you to not feel discouraged because of that scale!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #446

Hi, Dove! Welcome! Nice to have you aboard.

I realized I wrote "curry paste" when what I really used was a jarred curry sauce--not nearly as concentrated as paste. Oops!

Interesting tip about the coconut milk, 2big!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm...my coconut milk says it has zero carbs on the label. Is this incorrect?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #448

Zero carbs per how much of it?

Mine says 2 g per 1/4 cup.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

It says 0 grams for 15ml.

Buuuuuuuuut...for 15ml it says 2.7 grams of fat and 26 calories...so that means...2.7 x 9 = 24.3, so...1.7 of those calories must be from either protein or carbs, so lets say carbs...so there would be .4 carbs per the 15ml really, which would be...(I suck at math)...1 tablespoon or 1/2 an ounce, so we'll say .8g per ounce?

Which would be 1.6g per 1/4 cup

THANKS for the heads up!!!

Last edited by Dovelette; 04-12-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #450
Senior LCF Member

Peanutte--that recipe sounds awesome! I'm going to ask my friend if she still wants to share her coconut milk.
Thanks, 2big, for the tip.
JFM--I wish I were in the UK. I've always wanted to try berries and clotted cream. I don't know that we have anything comparable here.
Welcome Dovelette! And congrats on getting so close to your goal already!