Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post

I doubt I overdid it with the 10-pound dumbbells; I did reps of 20 curls, and some other lifts whose names I don't remember. One of them is that one where you hold the 10 pound weight with both hands behind your head and lift it up above your head, which works the muscles at the back of your upper arms. ........
we call them skull crushers in my gym as in drop it and you crush your skull of course we do them lying down. they work your triceps
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #362
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Ah, the ol' skull-crushers, eh?

Today I had some guys in my house rebuilding a staircase leading down to our lower level; the stairs going down to the garden level were starting to disintegrate, and yesterday one of them gave way, leaving a gaping hole into the basement. Not safe! Hello!

So I had these contractors over, making a ruckus and fixing the extremely crappily constructed stairs. Since it did not behoove me to be in the house, yet I had to stick around, I decided to get some exercise by raking the front yard. That took me an hour of hard work and was very satisfying. I made an enormous pile of pine needles. I freakin' hate our two pine trees that drop at least a third of their stupid needles every year.

I made some kind of mashed cauliflower thingie for my side dish tonight and it didn't turn out very well, but I was hungry so I ate it anyway. I don't care what anyone says--I do like mashed cauliflower, but no, it does NOT taste "just like mashed potatoes"! And it's hard to get it thick enough. I have a plan to use mashed chickpeas to thicken it, but I didn't want to use that many additional carbs today.

How's everybody doing?
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SinnyDipper
Stats: 160/128/120
WOE: Atkins pre-maintenance
Start Date: January 2009
Hi guys I feel quite slim today! hubby has been out the last 2 evenings so I've done double dog walking duty for 2 days, I can really feel it too!
We used to have a tree in our old house that shed like mad in the winter, it used to drive me nuts too! As this house is brand new the gardens front and back are blank canvasses and any trees that go in will be of the non shedding variety!

Today I had curry for breakfast made it last night with cauli rice and I made far too much, it was strange but as I never eat breakfast for a couple of hours after I get up I just thought of it as brunch!
For lunch I made 2 one minute muffins with almond flour and splenda, they were yum but I was so disappointed as I couldn't get the lid of my jar of sugar free jam !!!! I wanted to top them with jam and cream so just made do with butter! They were very filling though.
Dinner tonight will be home made burgers topped with a tbs of passata and a slice of mozzarella and then grilled and will probably have some stir fried cabbage with that.
SinnyDipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #364
Big Yapper!!!!

peanutte do you use fresh or frozen cauliflower to do your smash? I too think they taste like cauliflower everywhere they go but have dried them by roasting them in the oven first. Have you tried "drying" them likw yiou do those peppers? then you could add some dried to your mix to absorb some water. I think you'd need to rice them to get it dry enough though.

Hey sinny dipper
feeling smaller woo hoo keep up the good work.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #365
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
I add dried chives to my cooked cauliflower and then whirl it in the blender to really get the flavor blended while trying to achieve a "potato" texture. The chives really help the flavor. But no, it's never "just like potatoes."

I feel thinner today, but the scale isn't on my side. I've been having some digestive distress for the last few days--not sure if it's a GI bug or something I'm eating, or stress, or all of the above. Not much appetite, not much energy.
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #366

eklektos, I did that very thing--whipped it up in the blender.They were okay, just not really good. I love using chives--a little bit goes a long way. One of my favorite ways to have eggs is scrambled, with extra-sharp cheddar and chives.

Sorry you're not feeling well!

2big, I've made oven-roasted cauliflower before, and I like how it gets a little brown and crispy on the edges. In order to remove any excess moisture when making steamed cauliflower for hash browns or mash, I press on it with a folded-over paper towel before adding any other ingredients.

Sinny, did you just recently move to a new house? Do you like to garden? I think it would be fun to decide how to landscape and plant your new yards. I have big plans, but our yards are NOT blank canvases, so there's a ton of work to be done before overhauling the back yard. Congrats on taking longer dog walks and feeling thinner!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #367
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starcat
Stats: 177.2/159/135
WOE: HCG P2
Start Date: November 2011
I've stalled out this week. Maybe flax is not a good thing for me. I'm planning to ride my bike in to work tomorrow (9 miles) for the first time, so maybe the extra exercise will restart my loss.
Starcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SinnyDipper
Stats: 160/128/120
WOE: Atkins pre-maintenance
Start Date: January 2009
9 miles? wow! you go!

Nuts are definetely what stall me, have cut them out completely this week and really cut down on the cheese and can really feel a difference!

Been in our house around 7 months now Peanutte, as we had it built the inside is perfect but as I said the gardens are a completely blank canvas! we've built a deck out the back and some wooden planters but every time we get going we run out of money I just can't wait until I look out of the window and see flowers and plants!
SinnyDipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #369
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
I'll be back to OWL next week. '72 is okay, but not producing any big results. And I miss my veggies!

Going back to OWL, keeping it simple and clean, avoiding sweetners as much as possible, drinking my water ('72 has really got me drinking my water!) and looking at cutting calories and upping exercise (and by "upping" I mean "doing". )

Not even think about losing. Just maintaining. Weigh once a week. See what happens.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #370

Quote:
and upping exercise (and by "upping" I mean "doing".

Ha ha ha! Ahem. Yeah, I know.

You're so close to goal, Monkey, that I'm not surprised you're feeling frustrated. Dang, you've lost 32 pounds so far! But I bet those last 12 are just driving you crazy.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #371
Big Yapper!!!!

hey JunkfoodMonkey have you had your body fat % measured to see if you are a goalie even though the scles say you aren't?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #372
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
hey JunkfoodMonkey have you had your body fat % measured to see if you are a goalie even though the scles say you aren't?
I can check that on my scales actually! Forgot they do that too. It'll still be too high I'm sure. I've still got wobbly bits to grab on to.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #373
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ha ha ha! Ahem. Yeah, I know.

You're so close to goal, Monkey, that I'm not surprised you're feeling frustrated. Dang, you've lost 32 pounds so far! But I bet those last 12 are just driving you crazy.
It's the second time I've been stuck at this point, so it's super-frustrating. I need to chill out about it a bit, or I'll get silly like last time.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #374

Is there anything we can do to help support your not getting silly?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #375
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Is there anything we can do to help support your not getting silly?
My just sticking around here on LCF helps. I drifted away last time and so didn't have that constant "Low carb rules!!!" reinforcement every day.

So this time I'm staying!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starcat
Stats: 177.2/159/135
WOE: HCG P2
Start Date: November 2011
Good for you, junkfoodmonkey. Keep sticking with it, and you'll see those last few pounds disappear.
Starcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #377
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm planning to get a rebounder in a few days, for the exercise. (That's one of those mini trampolines.) They look like too much fun to actually be good exercise, but might as well try it!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #378
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
Checked my bodyfat% on the scales this morning, it's 33%. Which according to the Age-Adusted Body Fat Percentage Recommendations is in the heatlhy range - if near the top of that range.

BMI is still a tad over "normal" though at 26, when it needs to be under 25. Just a few more pounds and I can get that magic 25!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #379

Monkey, I appreciate your being honest about your frustrations and attitude adjustments as you get closer to goal. It's important for me to hear that so I can prepare myself to deal with what I expect will be a long road in losing those last several pounds myself.

I'm down another pound this week, despite having my period, so that's cool! I had hoped to hit 150 by the beginning of June, but now I've adjusted my expectations to not expect or hope for less than 160 by then. That's about a pound a week, which is the average rate at which I've been losing since Induction. And the thing about that is, it's a very sustainable rate of weight loss. Sure, I'd love to see whooshes of three or four pounds in a week, but that's just not likely, and as long as I'm doing everything according to plan, I'm happy with one pound a week in the right direction.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #380
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Peanutte. Attitude adjustment is definitely key! Gotta think differently than the last time I was here if I want a different result.

Your 1lb a week loss sounds great. You're obviously doing things right to keep a nice steady loss going like that.

I try to keep in mind that I can't control the rate I lose at when on plan. I never make "lose x number of lbs this month" goals, just "eat on plan" and "do this amount of exercise" goals. Those are things within my control, unlike the rate my body burns fat. It's not as if I can say "okay, molecules, are you listening? We've got a job to do here. Get those ketones organised, we've got some fat to burn!"

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #381
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
Checked my bodyfat% on the scales this morning, it's 33%. Which according to the Age-Adusted Body Fat Percentage Recommendations is in the heatlhy range - if near the top of that range.

BMI is still a tad over "normal" though at 26, when it needs to be under 25. Just a few more pounds and I can get that magic 25!!!

I was still overweight BMI at 14% body fat so don't put too much faith in it as your goal number since BMI has no idea if you are a marshmellow or a rock in body type.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #382
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
Thanks, Peanutte. Attitude adjustment is definitely key! Gotta think differently than the last time I was here if I want a different result.

Your 1lb a week loss sounds great. You're obviously doing things right to keep a nice steady loss going like that.

I try to keep in mind that I can't control the rate I lose at when on plan. I never make "lose x number of lbs this month" goals, just "eat on plan" and "do this amount of exercise" goals. Those are things within my control, unlike the rate my body burns fat. It's not as if I can say "okay, molecules, are you listening? We've got a job to do here. Get those ketones organised, we've got some fat to burn!"
I was a happy go lucky woo hoo I'm losing excited Atkineer in my early days and then in 2003 I was told that folk without goals failed9 times out of 10 so I should have those mini goal things and I set them cause I didn't want to fail! well I went from woo hoo lookie I lost X pounds to darn it I need y pounds to get to that mini goal grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And the moment you get that goal you are off to the next one so it was a constant struggle and very frustrating for me. After 9 months of goal stiving Atkinsing I punted them and went back to the woo hoo I already lost XXX pounds and x this month and was much happier never going for y again.

those goals put pressure to preform on you and that stress isn't good for weight loss neither.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Somebody shake me and tell me again why the carb rungs were developed in later versions of Atkins!
I think I overstepped the "freedom" of Atkins 92 yesterday. I put peanut butter on 2 celery stalks. (Filled the celery crevice completely. It was a full 2 tbls serving of peanut butter.)

I gained 2 pounds overnight.

Total carbs for the day were 27g. I'm supposed to be limiting to 25 right now as I am just at the very beginning of OWL, and the phase is not yet living up to its name for me. I thought I could manage the extra gs from the peanuts in my allowance, but apparently not. The scale is up. Ketostix say negative for ketones. I still have the metallic taste in my mouth, but I'm afraid that little splurge was over the top for me.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #384

That's an important point, 2big. When you decide to start Atkins and you want to lose weight, you need to be specific: not just "I, uh, want to lose some weight" but "I am going to lose Blah pounds and get down to Blah." You need to have a goal in mind for the long term. It might not be the goal you would ideally like to imagine reaching, but it should be a realistic and healthy goal weight.

So you've got that in place. Then you need to get really specific about how you're going to eat, which we've talked about over and over: READ THE FREAKIN' BOOK. If you're serious and you want to succeed, you need to know what to do!

Once that's all settled, you have a goal for Induction. It might be two clean weeks or it might be a month if you have a lot to lose. Whatever! But you have your specific goals in mind. "I will not even look at tempting foods for this two weeks. I will not eat out unless I am sure of what my food contains. I will cut my coffee down to one cup a day until Wednesday and then I will give it up." Whatever your goals are, it's important that you say them to yourself or even write them down, and not just think vague thoughts about them.

But when it comes to the weight loss mini-goals....well, we can't really control the outcome, can we? I was setting mini-goals a lot at first and sometimes I hit them and sometimes I didn't. It finally occurred to me that just because I entered "I want to lose three pounds by BlahBlah Date" in my ****** calendar didn't mean that was going to happen. It just didn't! So now I just don't worry about it. I hope to be down to 160 by the beginning of June, and if I'm not, I'm not. That won't change anything, so why worry about it?!

Setting goals should really be used in areas we can control. If I tell myself "I am going to stay on that damn elliptical trainer for 25 minutes even if I don't want to, and after that I can stop if I want", I am more likely to stay on it than if I hop on and haven't told myself a specific goal. Like yesterday when I pooped out after fifteen minutes because I "didn't feel like it". Instead of telling myself to just stick it out for 25 minutes, I told myself I didn't feel like it and then I lived down to that expectation.

I am a firm believer that people will live up to or down to expectations.

Last edited by peanutte; 04-03-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #385

eklektos, first of all, two tablespoons of peanut butter do not weigh four ounces, let alone two pounds, so don't think you gained two pounds of fat overnight from eating 190 calories worth of peanut butter. I totally understand your feeling freaked out, though.

This is what you will do: try NOT having the peanut butter for a few days, but keep your carbs up at 25 or so. If you gain any more, then it may be the new carb level. If you lose, it may have been something about the peanut butter itself. Try adding more carbs only from additional vegetables.

If the slight gain makes you feel nervous, drop your carbs to 20 again for a few days; no harm in that.

2big, please correct me if my advice is wrong.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #386
Big Yapper!!!!

eklektos could be anything from all the sodium to a peanut reaction. remove the peanutbutter and eat the same thing and see what happens if your weight continues to go up then you know it something still in your system.

BTW that metailci taste in your mouth is your tastebuds reaction to a certain ketone body in your saliva so yep you are still in ketosis.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #387

Just did my 25 minutes on the elliptical even though I didn't feel like it. See? I'm not kidding...I had to keep telling myself "C'mon...25 minutes...just 25 minutes..."

Actually, I tried going a faster on a lower resistance setting today and found that my heart rate was higher and I was sweating more. So I learned something useful. By the way, 2big, I take every single reading on my elliptical with a huge grain of salt because there's no option to enter your age, sex or weight, so how can the "calories burned" be remotely accurate?! But the reason I mention it is, you had commented that taking your heart rate while working out is dangerous (in terms of slipping or falling, I think you meant), and the way mine is set up, it's not at all awkward to grasp the heart rate monitor-handles while using the machine.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Thank you both for the feedback.
The peanut butter is now in the back of the pantry, out of sight.
I feel bloated on water, as I am trying to wash away any bad stuff that might be hanging around.
I've logged everything I have eaten today AND everything I'm going to eat today into ******. It shows 1290 calories, 20 g (almost exactly) carbs, and a near perfect breakdown of fats/proteins/carbs percentages.
I have cleaned house like a maniac today--scrubbing and vacuuming and folding and moving furniture--and only sat for a few minutes to work on a math assignment with my daughter. I didn't even sit down for breakfast and walked back and forth from the table to the kitchen to feed baby daughter and self while doing the dishes at lunchtime. (I know that's not ideal, but my SIL is coming over tonight so DH and I can get a few minutes out alone, and this house is just embarrassing, so I've had to make as much progress as I can in very little time.)
If the damage was only temporary, it will surely be gone by tomorrow!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #389

eklektos, I really hope it reverses within a few days.

But keep telling yourself that you did NOT gain two actual pounds of fat OR muscle overnight. You really didn't.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #390
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Just did my 25 minutes on the elliptical even though I didn't feel like it. See? I'm not kidding...I had to keep telling myself "C'mon...25 minutes...just 25 minutes..."

Actually, I tried going a faster on a lower resistance setting today and found that my heart rate was higher and I was sweating more. So I learned something useful. By the way, 2big, I take every single reading on my elliptical with a huge grain of salt because there's no option to enter your age, sex or weight, so how can the "calories burned" be remotely accurate?! [COLOR="Red"]But the reason I mention it is, you had commented that taking your heart rate while working out is dangerous [/COLOR](in terms of slipping or falling, I think you meant), and the way mine is set up, it's not at all awkward to grasp the heart rate monitor-handles while using the machine.
actually my treadmill says it is dangerous to take your heart rate while running. it says that when I walk faster then 5.5 MPH and try to do it.