Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #331
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
while you are cooking something that takes 45 mins and your appetite is raging food mysteriously can jump in your mouth and chew itself up without you even being aware it happened till you see the empty packages.
You're so down-to-earth, 2big...I love that about you.

It's really great to get advice about what to expect further down the road from someone who has been there.

Does shoveling a foot of snow for an hour count as my mandatory exercise for today? Because I did my driveway, sidewalk and front walk and I can tell you, it felt like a workout!
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #332
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
You're so down-to-earth, 2big...I love that about you.

It's really great to get advice about what to expect further down the road from someone who has been there.

Does shoveling a foot of snow for an hour count as my mandatory exercise for today? Because I did my driveway, sidewalk and front walk and I can tell you, it felt like a workout!
thanks and yes you had resistance exercise and if you worked at a fast pace you also had aerobic exercise too.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #333
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Thanks for the warnings there, 2Big. I think I might start a thread on Pre-Maintenance in the lobby soon, see if anyone does still does it or are we all too busy tweaking and thinking we know better than Dr Atkins!
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #334

I also went for a 50 minute, 3.2 mile walk later in the day. I don't know what's gotten into me this week. THIS IS NOT LIKE ME.

junkfoodmonkey, I have barely heard anything about pre-maintenance from anyone, ever.

I suspect a lot of people just try to stick with Induction for a long long time and then give it up entirely. Not that I ever did that, oh no sir.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starcat
Stats: 177.2/159/135
WOE: HCG P2
Start Date: November 2011
I tried the one minute muffin today, and it was a wonderful and quick way to kick off the day. I think I have my breakfast problems solved, and there are so many variations that it will keep things interesting.

This board has been really helpful in keeping me going with the plan. I'm working on that mandatory exercise part. I first tried Atkins two years ago to lose weight for a wedding. I went about it the wrong way by staying on induction for 4 months and then falling off. I gained all the weight back and then some. This time, I'm moving up the ladder and following plan. I feel confident now that this is a sustainable way of eating. This board has been great to give me suggestions and encouragement. It also lets me know that there are others out there who don't believe this is a fad diet. I've gotten some strange reactions from people who don't understand what this is about. Thanks everyone for being active and sharing your struggles and triumphs. It's good to know I'm not alone.
Starcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #336
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SinnyDipper
Stats: 160/128/120
WOE: Atkins pre-maintenance
Start Date: January 2009
I'm just back from a nice long walk and about to tackle a huge pile of ironing , does that count as exercise too????
Tonight should be interesting, we're going to a friends for dinner, she's dieting too but going down the low fat "healthy" (her words not mine ) route, she knows we're low carbing and has promised that the meal will be low carb AND healthy as I said, it should be interesting!!!
SinnyDipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #337
Senior LCF Member

My DH loves the one minute muffins Starcat! not so keen on them myself but thats coz I can only find normal flax not golden and the colour and smell puts me off! I did buy some sugar free jam and was going to make some sweet muffins but as I gained this week that jar of jam is staying securely closed for now!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Peanutte, today was pretty nice, quite a change, huh? My son and his friend got to go sledding at the park by our house today, the first time this year!! I'm trying to think of that happy thought, rather than the 2 hour drive home I had last night....

Well, the past few days have been induction levels of food, and I know exactly why! I planned a bunch of great food for this week, but haven't prepared any of it. Instead I've just been grabbing leftover meat, tuna salad, etc. I've gotta be better about cooking this weekend....
Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #339

Hi, Starcat! I'm so glad you joined us! I think it's helpful that some of us have the same experience in common--doing Atkins previously, but not doing it completely--and now being committed to follow all the stages of the program.

Bobbin, yay for your son going sledding! I was thinking that a nice deep snowfall must be fun for the kids. I wanted to build a snowman yesterday, right outside my boyfriend's garden-level office window, but the snow wouldn't pack.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: em.wi
Stats: 213/187.6/138
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 6th February 2009
evil snow has returned to milwaukee! i just got pelted full on in the face walking back from the store! it burns!

i also have some good news, i spoke to my mum today (cheered me up no end) and she reckons she's 'gonna give the atkins a go for a few weeks' - i never expected her to say that...she did really well on WW a few years back - but shes just given up smoking (january) and shes doing really well so i think shes getting health conscious ... i hope she'll be able to stick to it like i have (this time at least!) and we can make all kinds of low carb recipes together when im back home for the summer. i have our copy of DANDR tho so ive been putting together a little factsheet for her to get her through the first few days while i wait for another copy to be delivered - i think this ones the 1998 version - is that any different to 2002? also, i got my copy in the uk and it says its first printed in 2002, but my copy itself was 2003 - is this any different or is it just cus theyre pushing the shakes from that point?

im loving owl so far ... cant wait for the almond breeze!
em.wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #341

Sounds good, em.wi!

I hope your mom likes this way of eating.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starcat
Stats: 177.2/159/135
WOE: HCG P2
Start Date: November 2011
Sinny, your sweet muffin sounds great. I'm moving on to berries soon, but I think I'll try the whole fruits first before I add in jam. I understand holding off until returning to losing. Don't worry too much about your gain week. I had one last week and turned it around this week to lose what I had gained and then some.

Em.wi, hope your snow goes away soon. This has been my first winter in KY, previously a Michigander, and it is very strange not to have snow in March.
Starcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #343
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Fizgig
Stats: 5'7", 148/128/130
WOE: Pre-maintenance, kind of
Start Date: Pretty much forever
Hey guys - I was hoping to get a survey of what carb levels people are eating at, and what rate you're losing. I know everyone is different, but I'm just curious.

Right now I'm eating about 45/day and am losing a pound a week. Sweet! It's still early, though - only been at this about a month so I might still be reaping the benefits of "the early days". Instead of raising my count just yet to find my CCLL, I'm going to stay at 45 for the next few weeks to see if the loss continues or slows down. It's a liberal number and allows enough variety that I don't see a need to raise it just yet.

I'm trying to take pre-maintenance seriously this time. Are there any other ****** geeks who love pouring over the numbers and pinpointing their CCLL?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #344

Hey, I envy you--45 is a very liberal number and it's great that you're still losing a pound a WEEK.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #345
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Fizgig
Stats: 5'7", 148/128/130
WOE: Pre-maintenance, kind of
Start Date: Pretty much forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Hey, I envy you--45 is a very liberal number and it's great that you're still losing a pound a WEEK.
Well, I might be getting a false sense of security from early losses. I didn't do induction and jumped right into OWL because I didn't have much to lose. The Atkins site recommended OWL or Pre-Maintenance. I fully expect the weight loss to slow down and I might have to back off from that number - we'll see.

Trust me, I thank my lucky stars that my body's set point is at a pretty good place and that I seem to have a fairly high carb tolerance. It's just my raging sweet tooth and baked potato addiction that gets me into trouble sometimes!
Fizgig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
I'm going to creep over to this thread now from the Induction site.
For the past week (today is day 7), I've allowed myself up to 25g total carbs, so I am testing out the move to OWL. I was stalled at 146-147 pounds for about a month. Tomorrow's my official weigh-in day, but I already have seen the scale moving again a little mid-week. It looks like I might be around 144 now.
This week, I ate more of the allowable vegetables, but yesterday and today, I traded out a portion of those veggies for a serving of strawberries. I've got the 1992 book (and apparently the very oldest version of that book, because it's missing some stuff that others seem to refer to in subsequent printings), and it's very free about the order of adding variety back in as long as the total count is controlled. So I'm "skipping rungs" I suppose.
We'll see how it goes. I really want berries! And the 5 strawberries I had yesterday and again today were so very completely satisfying!
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
I hit the 80 lb mark this week and am still amazed at how easy its been since being on Atkins. For the first time in 30 years I am confident that my body will once again be at its natural, happy weight. The road to being under 200 in not that far away anymore--a little unbelievable to me. Thank you all for helping by posting and reading!!
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #348

CONGRATULATIONS, Diva! Wow, what an accomplishment! That's just wonderful.

eklektos, thanks for sharing that--I wasn't aware that the 92 book says you can add things in a less strict order...that's good to know. Some people might be less leery of doing OWL if they knew there was a version that allowed them to choose what they wanted to add back in first. Actually, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure 2big mentioned something about this a long time ago. But the 92 book isn't the very oldest version--that would be the 1972 book! Atkins has been around for a long time.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Don't read this if you are hungry

Well, what can I say, my friend surpassed herself with our meal, I asked he if maybe she had, had Gordon Ramsey around in the afternoon???
It was a fab meal and apart from a couple of things low carb too! no flour or sugar involved

She did some gorgeous canapes, tiny thai chicken meat balls topped with a cashew nut pesto, small glasses of gazpacho with an oyster in (I passed on the oyster!) a spicy avocado dip, asparagus wrapped in parma ham plus dishes of olives and nuts.
We then had a starter of baby beets roasted in red wine vinegar, soft cheese and walnuts on a bed of salad, I know I shouldn't have had the beets but they were soooo good!
Dinner was fillet steak cooked in red wine with mushrooms and shallots, roasted baby carrots, green beans, broccolli and roast potatoes for the carb addicts!
Dessert was a pear poached in vanilla, fresh raspberries and cream, for the carbos the pear was drizzled in choc sauce and they also had some sort of cake on their plates, by that time I was soooo full I didn't care! I didn't eat the pear, just kind of smooshed it up a bit so she didn't realise!
There then followed a platter of 6 different cheese plus crackers and grapes for the carbo's,, as I said I was so full that I couldn't even try any of the cheeses!
So a very succesful meal

I didn't suffer any cravings yesterday from eating the beets (and one tiny carrot!) but as we didn't get home till the wee hours the night before a lot of yesterday was spent sleeping anyway!

TOM has also arrived today which explains the small weight gain last week plus the feelings of wanting to eat everything in sight for the last few days !!!!!

Lorraine.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #350

Roasted beets on a salad like that, with goat cheese and some kind of toasted nuts, is one of the easiest yet most flavorful salads EVER. I love that kind of salad. I wonder if I could make a version using a small amount of roasted sweet potatoes in place of beets, and then I'd want to make the nuts spicy and savory...pecans toasted in a little garlic butter with rosemary and cayenne, maybe.

Sounds like a nice time with friends enjoying some rather special food.

P.S.: I adore Gordon Ramsey. The sound of his hurled expletives is like sweet music to my ears.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
peanutte--yes I know Atkins has been around since 1972. But I mean that the 1992 book went through some revisions from its first printing. The first edition (my old, hardcover copy) is different from subsequent printings that are still from 1992, apparently. Others on this LCF website say their 1992 books have a carb counter in the back with both total carbs and "digestible carbs" listed. Mine has no list of "digestible carbs." And while he does make suggestions of what equals a 5g increment for increasing carbs, he doesn't list them in any order. Some are just bigger servings of already-allowed veggies and some are all new, like blueberries (21--count 'em) or strawberries.
I think I will skip on the additional cheeses. 3-4 ounces of cheese per day is already plenty for me.
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #352

Oh, I see what you mean--yeah, it's a little frustrating to not know which version you should listen to! Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Quote:
I think I will skip on the additional cheeses. 3-4 ounces of cheese per day is already plenty for me.
I couldn't eat four ounces of cheese in one day unless it was REALLY nice cheese and I was having a special cheese platter. Most days it's more like 2 ounces.

Tonight I'm having a nice rare steak and some coleslaw I made earlier today. I hadn't made coleslaw the entire time I've been back on Atkins! I don't know why--it's easy, and it's a great side dish.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #353
Big Yapper!!!!

congrats to all the losers or should I say body fat shedders.

the 92 book said to add back what you missed most and Dr Atkins had rocks in his head saying that to carboholics cause most folk added high glycemic foods and were off on sugar binges destroying all the hard work they had done surviving induction with controlled blood sugar ansd no sugar cravings. I'm so glad he learned from that mistake and posted the carbohydrate ladder for the 2002 and the Atkins For Life books cause I know I would have added back loaves of bread for my 25 carbs, well as much of a loaf as i could have for those 25 carbs and then I would have been off on a binge to end all binges and been posting Atkins quit working for me. I loved the controlled manner of DANDR 2002. and the tips about having a fat with your berries. and strawberries are a not nice food for my craving control. I can eat blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and soem other berries no problem stopping at one serving, but strawberries set off my cravings for sweets so I didn't keep them in my House of Atkins eating. Glad you didn't have any issues with them.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #354

I really didn't feel like doing the elliptical trainer today, so instead, I alternated step aerobics with reps of lifting 20 pounds (10-pound dumbbells). I really kept my heart rate up, and definitely used a lot of muscles in different ways than on the elliptical. I watched TV while I did it and the hour flew by.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Lorraine, that dinner sounded SO GOOD!!

Peanutte, you've been doing really well with working out! I need to be better, I really need to add weights. How did you make your cole slaw? I'm making mine tonight. I can't find the recipe I liked so I may be flying blind!

I'm looking forward to being home for the next 3 days, my son is on spring break, hopefully we'll get some warm weather and we can go on a bike ride together.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #356

You and I are going to have to make a date for one of these weekends, Bobbin...we could go for a walk or something!

The reason I finally woke up and decided to really work out and not just go on pleasant strolls is that A) as 2big pointed out, the more weight I lose, the fewer calories my body will need, so if I want to eat like a normal human being and not starve myself I am going to need to burn more calories, and B) I want to tone up and get stronger.

Sadly--and this is a trap so many of us fall into--when I was quite a bit heavier, I HATED trying to work out because my body felt like a hot mess and I wasn't used to not being strong and capable. Since I wasn't heavy for most of my life, I wasn't used to lugging that heavier body around and it really sucked. It just was not enjoyable at all, which is why I stuck with walking.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 AM   #357
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey I stuck with walking all the way to goal weight. I just walked faster and faster and added incline till I was going like a billygoat with a mountain lion chasing me for the high intensity part.

you guys are going to be amazed at the training effect you get eating Atkins and doing your workouts. I went from feeling like Rocky on top of those steps when I finally did 20 min at 2MPH on my treadmill to walking off the front of the treadmill if the speed is that slow during cooldowns.

Be careful with those added weights if that is a new to your amount as you can iover do it the first day and then not do any for a week as you recover form your muscle strains.

I make a "hot" slaw 2 ways the first is spicy hot and the second is temp hot
one bag slaw veggies ( I was so glad when i got to rung 7 and could add back root veggies like carrots) 1/2 cup mayo and 1/4 cup hot sauce mixed togetter. I add the mayo hot sauce mixture to the bag and shake to mix then store in a sealed container in the frige the slaw softenes as time passes so it is crispy on day 1 and mushy on day 2.

the second one is like german potato salad tasting.
cook 4 strips of bacon and set asisde
add 1/2 chopped onion to baon grease and saute till onions are clear
deglaze pan with 1/4 cup vinegar of choice (I use apple cider just cause that was the one I started with but red wine vinage works well too)
add 1/4 t celery seeds, sweetener of choice to equal 1/4 cup sweetness,
add slaw veggies to the pan and crumbled bacon.
stir well and put in serving bowl.
eat hot cause it gets grease clumps from the bacon fat after refigerated. if your bacon is lean you can add a healthy fat of your choice as the oil content should be about 1/4 cup.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 AM   #358

Both of those sound good, 2big! The one I made was very simple--2 Tbsp mayo, 3 Tbsp heavy cream, 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp celery salt, a few dashes of cayenne, one good dash garlic powder, lots of black pepper, kosher salt to taste, 12 ounces cabbage, shredded, and 2 ounces white onion, minced. Made four servings.

I doubt I overdid it with the 10-pound dumbbells; I did reps of 20 curls, and some other lifts whose names I don't remember. One of them is that one where you hold the 10 pound weight with both hands behind your head and lift it up above your head, which works the muscles at the back of your upper arms. I am always careful to do nice controlled lifts and use my abdominal muscles for support, not my back. But regardless of what I'm doing these days, there's going to be some pretty mild but noticeable muscle soreness as I use muscles in different ways--the side leg lifts, knee lifts, hamstring curls and and "donkey kicks" I do during step aerobics are motions I don't do on the elliptical.

I do agree that walking is nothing to sneeze at, and you can get a good workout by varying your speed and incline. I just needed to be adding a level of cardio and resistance that walking wasn't quite meeting for me.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 AM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandiva View Post
I hit the 80 lb mark this week and am still amazed at how easy its been since being on Atkins. For the first time in 30 years I am confident that my body will once again be at its natural, happy weight. The road to being under 200 in not that far away anymore--a little unbelievable to me. Thank you all for helping by posting and reading!!
I missed this!! Wow, congratulations!!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 AM   #360
Major LCF Poster!

2big & peanutte, your slaw recipes sound really great!! I ended up improvising, and I haven't tried it yet but DH says it's pretty good...I used rice vinegar, olive oil, green onions, sea salt, red & black pepper blend, and a little dried cillantro and basil. We'll see, I'll try some today. I'm also making some sort of eggplant parmesan tonight with dinner. I've found some recipes using almond flour and parmesan for the breading....I haven't quite figured that part out yet, but we'll see!

I will be going to the gym today! It's so easy to get out of the habit of exercising, and it's been about a week for me...it's amazing how quickly you can lose ground on what you've been trying to do. I'm definitely losing weight slower this past week, but I don't know if it's just my monthly cycle or the not working out. I do know if I do everything right this week, this is the point in my "month" where I can lose a lot, quick. I really want to get to 228, that's what I weighed when I did the Tri. in 2007, so it means something to me...that I can do it again! I do need to start walking, I don't run during that portion of the tri., I don't like the stress on my weak knees and ankles, but I can walk at a pretty good clip if I work at it for a while. It's a really good exercise for me, helps me think things through!

Peanutte, I'd love to get together for a walk at some point!

Last edited by Bobbin; 03-31-2009 at 07:03 AM..