Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SinnyDipper
Stats: 160/128/120
WOE: Atkins pre-maintenance
Start Date: January 2009
Hi everyone, haven't posted before but have been reading this thread avidly and have picked up some fantastic ideas and advice

Just had to say that rather than use cocktail sticks on the stuffed chicken breasts you could wrap them in bacon or proscuito, I make a similar dish and the bacon works great!
SinnyDipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
That would be good--especially with a lentil/blue cheese/sundried tomato and spinach filling. When will I have time to make all the meals I have ideas for?!

I really need to just get some butcher's twine.

I am proud to announce that I worked out on my elliptical both yesterday and today!

I am totally embarrassed to announce that I really hadn't been doing anything other than walks--let's call them strolls--around the neighborhood lake and I can tell ya, my heart rate wasn't getting up from those. So I finally kicked my butt to get serious about doing some cardio.

And I have to give major credit to 2big, because every time she's said something about the MANDATORY EXERCISE PART OF ATKINS, it needled me a little more and a little more, in a good way, to make me confront the fact that I needed to be trying harder. I'm relatively young and able-bodied. There's no excuse to not push myself.

2big, I think it's really great that you always bring that up because nobody else really does, and it's important for newbies to get the message. Honestly, were it not for your frequent reminders I might not have made myself get back to it. I was using the excuse that nice little walks were enough. They're better than nothing, but they aren't going to tone my muscles and get my heart pumping. That's more for the enjoyment of nature and sunshine.

Last edited by peanutte; 03-24-2009 at 03:39 PM..
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #303

Oh, and derr, I forgot to WELCOME Sinny, our new resident Pink Elephant! Nice glasses, Sinny!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherdazy
Stats: highest ever: 214 (2004) this time:164/159/105
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDDD
Start Date: Switch from Atkins to JUDDDD April 5
Thanks for the pepper explanation, peanutte! I will definitely try that next time I can think of a way to use it!
heatherdazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome, and glad you like my elephant, we've been friends for years

Had the most bizarre conversation ever with my neighbour this morning, over the last few weeks I have been explaining the principles behind Atkins and why scientifically it works.
Today she told me that eating "all that meat" (grrrrrrr!) worries her, here we go I though, but her explanation for that comment was that if I ever get cancer the cancer will feed off the meat for once in my life I had absolutely no idea what to say I have been on and off Atkins (mostly on) since 2004 and thought I had an answer for every dumb comment that could come my way but all I could do was laugh! I didn't want to hurt her feelings though so tried to change the subject, she then asked me how many eggs I eat a day, when I said 3 to 4 (lying, its actually nearer to 6!) I got the cholestrol lecture, decided there and then that I would not be talking about my woe with her again!

Lorraine :-)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #306

Why do people automatically assume it's all about eating meat?! GOD, that irritates me. Your wise neighbor must be referring to one of those carnivorous cancers that we've all heard so much about. Oh, wait. No, I guess we haven't. Vegetarians get cancer too. Whatev's!

I'm so not in the mood for uninformed people spouting nonsense about Atkins straight from out of their butts. It gets extremely tiresome.

Sinny, are you new to the forum or have you been around but just recently rejoined?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Recently rejoined after a 2 year hiatus that involved emigrating from the UK to Aus!
Now that we are settled in our own home again it was time to get back to the best WOE ever I'm so happy as my DH recently joined me in my weightloss journey too, its so good to have someone to talk to about this WOE who actually "gets it" though I believe his work friends are giving him some stick about the food they see him eating, I just keep telling him to smile sweetly and they will soon see the evidence that it actually works
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #308
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
HELLO! That is right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion! My boyfriend roasts peppers when they are in season, fresh from the local vegetable stand, and he makes his own salsa every Sunday during the summer. So I'll present the challenge to him to help me come up with ways to use roasted peppers.

Hey! This summer I get to look at the vegetable stand through my Atkins Goggles. How fun will that be? We always rely heavily upon it all summer long, [COLOR="Red"]but this year will be different because I won't be eating gorgeous, fresh-from-the-field sweet corn and local peaches...I will admit that's a regret, but oh well![/COLOR]

Ah, good idea, mine doesn't like mayo dressings either.
hey you might be up the ladder high enough by then to have some as part of your WOE.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #309
Big Yapper!!!!

boy y'all were busy last night.
Paenutte glad to help you get moving again. Dr Atkins very clearly says in DANDR 2002 chapter 15 if you are not exercising you are not doing his plan so their is no weight loss is 90% eating and you don't need to workout to lose weight.

Many super heavyweights get the ah ha momnet when their Atkins Stops working cause they are doing exaclty what they did on day one and are now 50 -100 pounds lighter. Well being lighter means their body doesn't need the eacat same amount of food cause the less they weigh the less cals the body burns doing the same thing. Ladies lose about 9 cals per pound lost off their BMR and guys about 7.5 pounds soooooo using our peanutte for example on day one she was 43 pounds heavier and doing her leisurely strolling days she was burning over 500 more cals then she is today doing that same leisurely stroll day ( assuming nothing else in her day has changed) as you can see in a week that is a pound's worth of cals. So either peanutte has to lower her caloric intake by 500 cals or increase her activities by 500 cals a day just to stay the same as she was on day one of her Atkins journey.
Now who is freaking out? please don't be. just know your speed of weight lost on the scales is going to slow down as you get lighter even if you are exercising more just cause smaller bodies use less energy to do the exact same things.
Since the human body has built in FAMINE IS COMING mechanism to preserve life cutting cals lower and lower is not the answer since your metabolism will get slower and slower. The answer is increase the intensity and/or duration of your exercise.
when I started I couldn't do 2MPH for 20 min but as i got in better shape I increased my walking speed until I couldn't walk any faster. At that point it was either longer or go up hills Since my knees love going up hills but not down hills it was incline elevation for me. I thought hard about doing the Couch to 5K running proigram but that made my knees hurt and my Doc said why do you want to run slower then you are currently walking and be in pain. That got my attention so I walked uphill all the way to goal as my aerobic exercise and I did the BFL lifting program as my resistance part.
Oh and a funny thing happens on treadmills when you walk above 5 MPH the cals burned jumps remarkible and the treadmill issues a message it is dangerous to do the heart beat testing will running. LOL

welcome back Sinny. I know you will have a products issues in Aus so you may need to find a low carb site for folk in Aus to assist you as veggies have different names and you have some products we don't in North America.

And woo hoo on DH joining you. fix him a low carb Atkins legal cheese cake and his work buds will be drooling and asking their wives if they can "diet" too.

As to the cancer remark. You should have laughed out loud as cancer cells feed off glucose and yes some of the protein you eat above the amount needed for growth and repair will be converted to glucose all of the carbs your neighbor is eating will become glucose along with any protein she consume above that needed for growth and repair too.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #310

That's true...as with many things, though, sometimes it's easier for me to just not have any than to try to moderate. I am leery of things that could trigger cravings.

Hey, look at my stats! I reached twenty pounds today!

I'm not one of those people who assumed or expected that I could lose a gazillion pounds quickly on Atkins, so when I look at 20 pounds for 3 months, I am very pleased with that rate. That's an average of 6.33 pounds a month. Very sustainable and reasonable; about 1.5 pounds per week.

My doctor really doesn't want me to lose any quicker than that; they say that under normal circumstances in real life, you cannot safely lose more than 2 pounds of fat a week.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #311
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
That's true...as with many things, though, sometimes it's easier for me to just not have any than to try to moderate. I am leery of things that could trigger cravings.

I'm not one of those people who assumed or expected that I could lose a gazillion pounds quickly on Atkins, so when I look at 20 pounds for 3 months, I am very pleased with that rate. That's an average of 6.33 pounds a month. Very sustainable and reasonable; about 1.5 pounds per week.

My doctor really doesn't want me to lose any quicker than that; they say that under normal circumstances in real life, you cannot safely lose more than 2 pounds of fat a week.
congrats on shedding over 10% of you that is a big change for just 3 months! woo hoo. oh and I used your orginal start in my calculation in the exercise post above. you are just 234 cals a day differnt from your 20 pounds heavier Peanutte body
Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #312

cross-post: 2big, you're absolutely right and I'm glad that this time around, I am a little more educated about the way our BMR goes down as our weight goes down. I have some lower-calories days during my week, so I have had practice making a healthy and satisfying 1200 calorie, 1300 calorie and 1400 calorie menu and I know it can be done. That's just my way of planning for the future so I won't think I need to deprive myself when I need fewer calories on a regular basis.

As for the exercise, again, I wasn't even THINKING about the obvious fact that I am carrying 20 pounds less weight around when I walk! I could put 20 pounds in a backpack and instantly see that my walks are not as effective because of that. Walks will always be something I enjoy, but I'm finding it kinda fun to do intervals on the elliptical because it's harder work.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #313
Big Yapper!!!!

good for you and when your intervals get easy up the resistance levels.

I got slack about that in the fall of 2004 and I was using my usual settings on the treadmill at the gym doing HIIT which is high intensity interval training and the fellow next to me ask what I was doing and I explained about how the inteval training worked. he said no you are not doing HIIT and told me I was nose breathing the whole time so there was no way I was at max VO2 at any point during my workout. Well that got my attention and from then on I paid attention to what was actually happeneing with my body during a workout and I got to say the incline went up weekly after that so that by Dec of 2004 I was doing 5MPH flat as my recovery part and incline 7 with the speed at 7 for my max rate.
The training effect we get eating Atkins and doing our mandatory workouts is incredible.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Well done on the 20lbs Peanutte !! I too am losing very slowly this time around, I'm putting it down to my age and also trying not to get stuck in a rut by trying out lots of new recipes! I'm not going to stress about it though, any loss is a loss and most weeks I manage something even if its half a pound, slow and steady wins the race as they say!

I do struggle with the exercise aspect, I can't afford to go to a gym but do walk my dog every single day come rain or shine! He's tiny but he walks very fast and we are up to an hour a day now!

Your right 2big4mysize, its hard to find much low carb stuff here but I actually think thats a good thing! we can get Atkins bars which I think are one of the grossest things ever! and I did find some low carb wraps last weekend but thats about it.
The only thing I really wish we could get would be Davinci syrups and liquid splenda, not bothered about much else!

Funny you should mention cheesecake, a couple of weeks ago I made and took one to a friends house, it was so decadent and went down a storm by everyone! Not sure I would make one to have at home though, I think I would have portion issues!!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #315

Quote:
I do struggle with the exercise aspect, I can't afford to go to a gym but do walk my dog every single day come rain or shine! He's tiny but he walks very fast and we are up to an hour a day now!
I think that's wonderful! I prefer incorporating exercise as part of your daily activity to doing gym-type stuff...believe me, it is not easy for me to make myself do the damn elliptical. I did it today, though, and cranked the resistance up for a couple of one-or-two-minute intervals and then in between, played with going faster on less resistance/slower on moderate resistance. I think I might just go for a long walk tomorrow though, because we're supposed to get up to a foot of snow tomorrow night, so I can rely on doing indoor exercise over the weekend but I want to get my "nature time" in before the snow hits.

The truth is, I always say I hate vigorous exercise but I love how relaxed I feel afterwards, like I just got a massage or something.

But the other truth is, I went through a good few years back in the late 90s/early 2000s where I worked out a LOT at the gym and ran outside regularly too. I don't think I will ever be able to honestly say I like working out for its own sake, but I like that it helps me lose weight, maintain a lower weight, and have a better body. I don't see myself as one of those people for whom it will ever be more than a chore with some good payoffs. Who knows, though. That might change.

I also have a step, and I was doing step aerobics again for a while a few months ago and then stopped...of course...because I took too many days off in a row. I like the tape I have, so that's another option.

But hey! My motto is "something is better than nothing." We don't all have to be athletes.

[edited to add] Oh, and I just want to say that every time I balk at wanting to work out, it helps to remind myself that I spent a good six months in 2007 experiencing lower back pain that made EVERYTHING painful. Everything from leaning over to clean the cats' litterboxes to carrying laundry baskets up the stairs killed my lower back. I felt totally useless and it was very depressing. So I am very grateful that it went away and I am able to do real workouts now.

Last edited by peanutte; 03-25-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinnyDipper View Post
she then asked me how many eggs I eat a day, when I said 3 to 4 (lying, its actually nearer to 6!) I got the cholestrol lecture...
When my dad once tried to give me a hard time about eating too many eggs, I pointed out that eggs are in all the baked goods he eats daily that I don't.

People don't really do their own baking anymore so they never think of that!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Congratulations Peanutte!!!! Way to go!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #318

Thanks, Bobbin.

Heather, you're right about eggs being hidden in many baked foods. You know what else is funny, is that a lot of people don't think they eat "a lot of sugar" because they're not using table sugar in their coffee or on their breakfast cereal...it's in everything! If a person eats one or two fat-free yogurts a day, that's a lot of sugar. Same with fat-free dressings...it's in freakin' everything, and especially in low-fat or fat-free products.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Yep. Basically most people have no real idea of what they're eating.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #320
Big Yapper!!!!

for those who don't enjoy exercise break it up into small 5-10 min segments the more short segments you do the more of the post exercise metabolic rate increase you will get which is good for weight loss. now if you want fitness level increases and cardio fitness you will need to make them longer eventually but 10 6 min sessions of anything moving your body is easier to do them 1 60 min session or even 2 thirty minute sessions.

AND work on free exercise like park at the back of the lot, walk all the store aisles before you buy anything, do a lap of the mall between every store you want to shop or look in, march in place while you chop veggies or wash dishes, put up the laundry one item at a time,and while you watch tv do knees to chest every commenrcial or stand and march. Heck you can even replace your chair with a fitness ball and work your core muslces while you read LCFs. If you work in an office building find the bathroom farthest from your desk and move fast to get to and from it when you got to go, use the stairs
Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #321

2big, very good points--you can "make" exercise out of a lot of daily activities.

Even little things can add up.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Good exercise tips there! I detest washing my wooden floors but always think of it as a work out!!

Feeling a bit down today, it was my weekly weigh in last night and for the first time in 11 weeks I had gained 1.6lb I'm pretty sure I know why, since DH joined me in my woe, to stop him getting bored I have been trying lots of new recipes and have strayed from the carb ladder, just adding stuff back will nilly
So as from today its back to basics, no more nuts, yogurt or cocunut milk for at least a week and then will add back one thing at a time.
Sigh,, I know how to do this, damn men !!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: em.wi
Stats: 213/187.6/138
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 6th February 2009
hi guys!
tomorrow marks the end of my 6th week on atkins - i seem to have fallen into a habit of eating induction level carbs over the past week or two ... gonna make a special effort next week to up the veg and climb that ladder properly!

i also bought some almond breeze today - so now i cant wait for nuts rung!

EDIT: apparently I can't count ... im starting my eigth week tomorow...not my seventh...

Last edited by em.wi; 03-26-2009 at 05:03 PM..
em.wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Sinny dipper, don't get down, just keep on truckin'!!!

OK, how's this for a stupid comment: Today I have an egg and a sausage patty to eat for breakfast at work (I'm not usually hungry till around 8:00-8:30) So, I'm eating it, and my boss (she's really a nice lady, just WW minded) says, "Hey there, come talk to me when you're done eating your unhealthy junk food breakfast" I about fainted. An hour later, she, along with everyone else in the office, was snacking on mini candy bars someone brought in. I just wanted to say that my egg and sausage patty were probably a lot less calories (if that's her concern) than the 10 mini candy bars she put down....

I got on the scale tonight after work, I'm still up one pound, but it'll drop off and hopefully take a few buddies by the end of the weekend. I haven't been working out this week at all....I HAVE to get to the gym soon.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #325

Bobbin, WHY are people so obnoxious?! Your boss was acting l like a twit.

And Sinny, don't worry about that 1.6 pounds. Get get back to being a little more mindful and I'm sure it will come right off. Explain to your husband about OWL and the carb ladder; my boyfriend understands things about Atkins better when I sum them up succinctly, and then he knows why I "can't have such-and-such YET but will try it in a week or two, maybe".

By the way, Bobbin, how are you liking this FOOT OF SNOW we got dumped on us?! Good God, I hope my boyfriend's work will let him work from home tomorrow. If they make him commute fifty miles in this crap I'll be so irritated. (Not as much as he will be, though!)

Hi, em.wi! Welcome! I hope you enjoy increasing your variety of foods a little more!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #326
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:

Well done, Peanutte! I agree that Atkins isn't about losing more per week than other diets (the start of Induction being the exception.) For me it's about losing more over the long term for the simple reason that I can stay on it for the long term!

Between a diet that could make me lose 5lbs a week, but leaves me starving hungry and one that makes me lose 1lb a week while entirely satisfied I know which one will result in more weight loss a year after the start date.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 AM   #327
Blabbermouth!!!

I need to make a bit of a change to get past this set point I'm stuck at (again!) so I'm doing Atkins '72 level 1 next week. (It wasn't actually called Induction back then, was it?) Then I'll probably hurry back up the OWL ladder, so keep my space warm! I'll be back laster in April.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #328

I'll look forward to seeing you again! You don't have to not post here just because you're switching it up for a few weeks, you know. A lot of people's OWL and Maintenance is likely to include occasional stricter weeks to sort of recalibrate ourselves.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #329
Blabbermouth!!!

Cool. I'm sure I'll still be lurking about.

Heck, if I do kickstart my loss I'll soon be getting the point that I should be going into Pre-Maintenance! Does anyone DO Pre-Maintenance? I don't see many threads on it.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #330
Big Yapper!!!!

junkfoodmonkey becareful when you start pre if you were eating your OWL close to your CCLL cauase you are going to discover your ketosis appetite suppression is gone!!!!.
Yep that is one of the first things Dr Atkins will tell you in the pre chapters.
Supposedly you have been practicing propper eating and carb and cal control therough feeding only your hunger so you will naturally just keep doing that. yeah right. scared the heckout of me when it happened to me and I ran back to OWL till I was going to be at that 5 pounds to goal bottom number to start.

The change from having no appetite hardly ever to having it daily several times is a big adjustment so be ready and have foods ready to go cause while you are cooking something that takes 45 mins and your appetite is raging food mysteriously can jump in your mouth and chew itself up without you even being aware it happened till you see the empty packages.