Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IamMoni64
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo w/Shirataki Noodles

My hubby and my favorite Shiratake recipe is:

4 Boneless/Skinless chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
1 Tbl chopped garlic
1 small bag of frozen broccoli (thawed & drained)
1 jar of Walden Farms Calorie-Free Alfredo Sauce
1 bag Shiratake thin noodles (rinse well, parboil for 2 mins and drain)
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese

In a hot, deep skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, saute chicken breasts and garlic until cooked through.

Add the broccoli and heat (about 2 mins).

Add the Alfredo Sauce and heat through (2 more mins)

Add the noodles and parm cheese and heat thru (2 more mins).

Serve! Even my hubby (who's a meat and potatoes man) likes this!
IamMoni64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2014
When I first tried the noodles, I could not stand the texture at all. I switched to the tofu noodles and I love them. I even use them for pasta dishes. Here's my favorite:

seasoned chicken(I use Canadian seasoning)
splash of olive oil
1/4c parm cheese
1-2tbsp butter
1 bag tofu shirataki noodles

I fry the chicken in olive oil. Take the chicken out of pan and add in all other ingredients so the noodles will soak up the good flavors. I added in a bit of minced garlic also.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't use the Miracle Noodles, I use the original noodles with konjac yam only.

I rinse them for a while, then soaked them in water for about an hour. It comes out perfectly.

Chicken stir fry with garlic, ginger, red bell peppers, cabbage, and a small portion of shirataki noodles, all cooked in coconut oil. I marinated the bite sized chicken in sesame oil, chili oil, and soy sauce for about an hour before cooking.

Heat coconut oil, add ginger and garlic, then chicken and marinade, then peppers and cabbage. When there's about a minute left in the cooking, add the noodles.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 02-24-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Ntombi, that looks delicious!!!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
Yes it does! I am going to make it tomorrow!
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It was really good.

I've done slight variations a few different times, all successfully. I don't know if it's the prep, or the noodles I get, but they're never chewy, they're just like rice noodles I've eaten in restaurants.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #67

It's probably the soaking them for an hour before. I don't understand the idea of pan frying them to "dry them out" since they are only two ingredients and 99% of that is water. I've always had good results with simmering or soaking them in a broth. They get softer the more water they absorb.

I think I'm gonna print your recipe to add to my collection!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lily42
WOE: Low Cal/Carb
Start Date: March 2013
Gorgeous recipe

Had this for dinner last night
1 packet of shirataki noodles mixed with cheese sauce, chopped chilli, chopped fried onion, 1 grated raw courgette, 2 slices chopped fried bacon (no fat) and 1 chopped tomato. Put in ovenproof dish, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese & bake for 20mins, delicious!
Lily42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenabee333
Start Date: 3/18/2013
Pad Thai!! This is not an induction recipe as I think the carbs are a little high for 1 serving. (This recipe serves 2)

Use the fettucine Noodles and let them dry out a little after rinsing well.

Mix together 1 tbsp of lime juice, 1 tbsp of fish sauce, 1 tsp of splenda and 1 tbsp of peanut oil to make noodle dressing

Coat the noodles in the dressing.

Fry 1/2 lb of chicken and 1/2 lb of shrimp on a little sugar free peanut butter, garlic and shallot.

Julienne 1 bell pepper, 1 zucchini.

mix noodles with veggies and protein and top with chopped cilantro, bean sprouts and chopped peanuts*

*If carbs are too high in peanuts, you can always use chopped toasted almonds.
Jenabee333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KVark
Stats: 215/200/140
Start Date: March 2013
Have to try these for myself... Headed to the grocery store with fingers crossed!
KVark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I love them in an easy red sauce. Packet of spagetti sauce spices, can of tomato paste, 3/4 of an onion, a little garlic, half a chub of HOT pork breakfast sausage, 2 1/4 cups water. Add a little more gluc powder to thicken the sauce a little and make it "stickier" after its simered for awhile.
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reallychelseawow
My recipes

I've tried several recipes, but I thought I would share some I haven't seen here yet.
I am a sweets kind of person, and I found the shirataki noodles (rice style) work great in puddings.
If you rinse, then dry fry them in a pan, they take on the texture of tapioca I find. Cool to room temp, then either mix into prepared sugar free pudding (your favourite flavour) and pop back in the fridge. I usually make chocolate pudding, using a chocolate protein shake in sub for most of the milk. That amps it up to 30 g of protein for the whole bowl of pudding, and down to 3g of sugar. I use Premier Protein shakes (sold at Costco) which have 160 cals, 30g of protein and 1g sugar for 355 ml. Best tasting protein shake I've ever tried.

I also make a "rice pudding" with these. I use 2 cups milk, 1 whole egg, 2-3 egg whites, a bit of sugar, vanilla and nutmeg then cook. I may add 1 tsp - 1 tbs of corn starch depending on how many egg whites I use. Again, after dry frying the noodles, I toss them in and chill.

Obviously you could modify those recipes to be healthier, but I'm just looking for healthier versions of my favourites.
I just wanted to share since I never see anyone post any dessert or sweet recipes with these!
reallychelseawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
I still haven't found these in any regular store, I'd like to try them cause I know I can make them good somehow with sauces and spices if needed. Hell I'd prob like them with just some butter and garlic salt...
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #74

I love chicken flavored ramen made creamy with sour cream. So I made some shirataki with chicken, chicken boullion and oyster mushrooms and a few extra veggies and just added some sour cream. Very rich and yummy!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
Finally picked some up today. Tries miracle noodles Alfredo type. Followed instructions on package. I didn't dry them off though.

Here's what I added:
1 package miracle noodle shirataki Alfredo type
4 oz small slices venison
2 tbsp hwc
1 med slice red onion chopped
1/4 cup sautéed mushrooms w/ 10 baby spinach leaves
1 tbsp butter
10 grams Parmesan roughly 2 servings
Garlic powder, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, pepper

Overall delicious. I could eat them every day besides the almost $4 price tag. And under 2 carbs for the way I just described!!!

Last edited by cb83; 06-20-2013 at 04:14 PM..
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
Hey CB there are several people making their own noodles at home MUCH cheaper. Do a search
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #77

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
Just found some of these at WinCo and picked up two bags of the spaghetti style noodles.

I'm going to give them a try next weekend.. boil in beef or veggie broth and then stir fry in sesame oil - add in some amino acids, shredded cabbage, onion, hot chili paste etc.

Here's to hoping they turn out delicious!
ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 212/208/175
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Here is how I prepare/have prepared my shirataki (for reference, I only use the non-tofu variety from my local Japanese market) after rinsing and draining & sauteeing:

-olive oil & parmesan (or butter and parm)
-beef & mushroom mixture (strogenoff)
-top w/spaghetti meat sauce
-top w/tomato, garlic, basil & olive oil
-top w/pesto, add chicken or shrimp
-top w/shrimp scampi
-use in a chicken, beef, pork or shrimp stir fry with veggies
-top w/homemade alfredo sauce and chicken and/or shrimp or primavera veggies
-use it in a chicken, lemon, garlic, parmesan, capers combo - vesuvio/piccata style
-shrimp creole style

Last edited by Stacy O; 07-08-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GetFit
Quote:
Originally Posted by byaaah View Post
So, I've searched high and low after hearing all about these wonderful shirataki noodles and FINALLY found a place around here that carries them. I prepared them according to the directions and dressed the noodles the way I normally would. They weren't terrible... but far from what I expected from all the hype.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make these "Miracle Noodles" tasty and LC friendly? Thanks!
I started with Miracle Noodles, but then I found something way better. (Doesn't smell and no soy.) The Wildwood Pasta Slim Spinach Fettuccine noodles. I buy mine at Safeway. I make the Hungry Girl tuna casserole recipe using these noodles. Or, with the pesto or alfredo sauce recipes found in The New Atkins book.

Another awesome pasta replacement is to julienne zucchini and use it as "noodles". Wonderful!

I find a ton of great recipes by searching on Pinterest (with wonderful pictures) - where other people have taken the time to pin all of their best finds.
GetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #80

Well, they are already low carb friendly, the trick is to make what you "add" to it tasty and LC friendly and the noodles are just a vehicle. If your sauce is bland, it will be bland. If you don't have a plethora of flavors and variety of ingredients, it's just gonna be bland slippery noodles. Imagine eating ramen cooked in plain water. You can't blame the ramen if the soup base is crap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, find a recipe SUITED to the noodles and you will find deliciousness. They originated in Asia. Look for Asian Recipes to inspire you, Look for strongly flavored poignant broths and bases that carry themselves, use ingredients that will taste great on their own without the noodles, and THEN ADD THE NOODLES. The noodles are just filler, something to carry the flavor of the other ingredients. Not meant to be a meal on it's own like wheat pasta.

Find an Asian Foods cook book and look for recipes for noodle soups and go from there.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898