Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I am hoping to find these....I am going to check out some of the asian specialty stores here (my only chance of finding these in DK). I can't wait to try them in a stir fry!! I am getting tired of no noodles and rice....so I am looking forward to these!
I just read today that you can put them thru a grinder (food processor?)and make "rice".
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sydneyelizabeth
Shirataki noodles are great Asian style!

Okay, so I read all of the comments and was worried when I started looking around online to cook my little bags of noodles I got at Whole Foods the other day. I went with the advise of others and tried it Asian style. I looked in the freezer and saw that I had some snap pea stir fry veggies and some frozen green peas and a fresh zucchini. I rinsed the noodles five times and dried them with a towel. I fried them in the non-stick frying pan for several minutes over high heat with a small teaspoon of olive oil. I added fresh garlic shredded with the parmesan cheese shredder (Does anyone else do this?? So much easier than chopping it up!) and some soy sauce. I let that cook for a minute or so and then added a tablespoon of hoisin sauce. I let that simmer and added a few more splashes of soy sauce. I reduced the heat and added 1/4 bag of each of the frozen veggies and 1/2 of a sliced zucchini, then covered it and turned the heat back up. I let it start to sizzle then turned off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cook the veggies. It smelled so good I just had to try it and it is absolutely delicious. I will be making this again!! I would even take this to a get-together.
sydneyelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
I made them with broccoli and Greek-style chicken -- sliced chicken sauteed in olive oil with lemon juice, rosemary, oregano, basil, fresh ground black pepper and sea salt and then put the leftover sauce in the noodles -- and it was delicious!
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: genevieve
Stats: 282.6/267/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 2010/restart 10/11/10
i just bought these yesterday plan on making tonight thanks for all the info
genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angieshar
To byaah

Hi!
So I am on the hCG diet and learned I can eat the white plain Shirataki noodles as a "free" food...awesome! I'm of Asian decent but was adopted so grew up in a home of farm-raised Germans and Swedes, so the table was always full of potatoes, fatty meats, eggs, milk and lots of pasta (my grandparents went through the Depression). I have had to learn how to experiment with Asian cuisin on my own with help from more venterous eating friends...here's the ksinny on these noodles.

1. Must rinse in tepid water (I leave mine in a colander) for a minute or two to remove the funky fishy smell
2. MUST boil for a minimum of 10 minutes to get them to a "ramen" noodle or cellophane noodle texture. I boil mine in broth/stock for no less than 10 minutes
3. Add to stir fry, curry or whatever you like. THese will not replace traditional Italian durum wheat pasta dishes but will work in any Asian dish or soup (I've made Pho too with them).
angieshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
I made mine last night with browned Italian sausage mixed in with roasted red pepper sauce. DELISH!!
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AllieBee
Stats: 238/238/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: August 16, 2014
I finally went out and bought these noodles today at the international grocery store nearby. Took everyone's advice, rinsed them well, boiled them in water and broth and then added some chicken base. At the end I tossed in some frozen broccoli until it was cooked through. I drained it all, put it back in the pot, and then added in some shredded rotisserie chicken breast (leftover from Costco, yum), cheddar cheese, sour cream and lots of black pepper.

It was DELISH! Yes, the noodles had a little more pop to them - texture-wise - than regular pasta, but I loved it. Unfortunately, I ate the whole dang package but I hadn't eaten much today so I figure it all evened out.

I can't wait to go back and buy some more of these noodles, they were fantastic! I hope those of you who didn't care for them try again with a different recipe, it will definitely take care of your pasta cravings once you find a recipe that works for you!
AllieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrrhan
Stats: 183/165/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/08 restart Aug 28, 2010/restart Sep 2012
I love them! Tonight I ate some with homemade meatballs and homemade spaghetti sauce. Delish!
rrrhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiflip
Stats: 228/147/175
Ohh I have one, really basic recipe. you can swap different veggies for what you like..
Candice's Low Carb Chinese stewed beef & Vegetable Shirataki noodle stir fry - Candice's Low Carb Recipe's
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
I think there is nothing wrong if we eat the whole package. These noodles have zero calories...so technically, we can eat as much of them as we want, right? I make a sauce for them:

I mix Coconut milk, curry powder, 1tsp of sweetener, and a vegetable or chicken broth together in a pan and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sososo
Stats: 315/188/170
Start Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip View Post
Ohh I have one, really basic recipe. you can swap different veggies for what you like..
Candice's Low Carb Chinese stewed beef & Vegetable Shirataki noodle stir fry - Candice's Low Carb Recipe's
I love this recipe, it is even fun to make. I think I will have endless variations.Thankx.
sososo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiflip
Stats: 228/147/175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sososo View Post
I love this recipe, it is even fun to make. I think I will have endless variations.Thankx.
Thanks! and your welcome
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rickirock
ditto these are best with Asian recipes. I just got some and did a coconut prawn curry. It was my invention and I guess its a bit like a cross between a Laksa and a Goa Fish Curry.

serves 2:
I peeled 200 grams of prawns (shrimps) and marinated prawns in a spice mix I made of crushed corriander seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, tumeric and garam masala. Then added a tbs of oil, a drizzle of desert spoon of tahini sauce and a splash of light soy sauce. Left that for 30 mins while washed and boiled for 2 mins the noodles. I set aside. And then stirfried the prawns shells and heads in some oil for a few mins medium heat, added 3 or 4 cups of water and half a fish stock cube. Skimming stock. Simmered for 15 mins and drained through fine sieve.

Then a tablespoon of ghee into pan and added 1 small onion sliced and a clove of garlic, slowly fried for a few mins and then added the same spice mix and stirfired for a further few mins. Add half the stock (about a cupful), a cup of water and 10grams (about a desert spoon) of coconut cream powder, a good pinch of salt or fish sauce, the noodles, bring to boil and simmer for 10 mins. A few mins before the end and with heat low add prawns. At end I took off heat and added a small amount (heaped teaspoon) of greek yoghurt, a small squeeze of lime juice (optional) and some chopped corriander. Serve with a spoon and fork or spoon and chopsticks. I poured the curry over some steamed chard and it was fantastic. About 8 carbs I estimated. I had only had about 5 carbs throughout day so was well within the 20g. Freeze the remaining stock in small bag to use for later fish based stirfries.

Last edited by rickirock; 01-25-2011 at 12:24 PM..
rickirock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Thai stirfried monkfish with crispy basil

A dish to use up remaining stock for another noodle recipe.

Make paste from a 1 or 2 birds eye chilli seeds in, 2 cloves garlic, 2 sticks lemon grass, 1 kafir lime leaf, small piece of ginger, teaspoon thai fish paste, corriander root.

Fry in oil thai basil leaves without burning until crispy. Place aside on paper towels. Save oil to use

Cut monkfish into bite size pieces and stirfry in some of the oil. l for 2 mins so seared but still slightly raw in middle. Set aside in a bowl. Dry pan with kitchen role, add more oil and fry paste for a minute or 2, add noodles and a splash of dark soy sauce, a splash of light, about 50ml of the fish stock and some splenda to taste. (you can replace soy sauce for fish sauce). After a minute or so add the monkfish to heat through for a minute (careful not to overcook the monkfish) and a squeeze of lime juice. Turn off heat, add crispy basil. Serve. I would have with steamed Pak Choi or brocoli.

I estimate that it would be between 6 and 10grams of carb depending on soy sauce amount/type and amount of veg you have.

Last edited by rickirock; 01-25-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

OOPs....missed vital ingredient from the Coconut prawn curry recipe above!! In spice rub also added 2 dried cayene chilli peppers!! And added to onions also a birds eye chilli sliced with seeds in. I like it spicy!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mlbradl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
I agree that these should be reserved for Asian dishes. I just made Linda Sue's Thai Beef Skillet and put it over the shirataki noodles and it's fantastic!! I highly recommend this recipe.
Where can I find this recipe?
mlbradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #47
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Ordering some, and can't wait to try these ideas. Thanks!!!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steak_Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyface5 View Post
I'm really excited about these.

The trick is to let them pan fry a bit. It give's them a nice texture, more firm.

Just put some butter in a pan and grille noodles for several minutes on both sides. add some soy sauce and they are great!

http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf...es/thumbup.gif

I think I'll try this. I'm thinking about making a Asian sauce to go with it.
Steak_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #49

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Got mine the other day. Now to decide what recipe to try first!!!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lake1
Quick, Easy & Tasty Miracle Noodle Recipe

I prepared the noodles as instructed on the package by rinsing and boiling. After draining, I placed them in a heated skillet and tossed to evaporate the existing moisture. To the noodles, I then added 1 Tbls. Kraft Classic Caesar Dressing and a couple shakes of hot sauce. Stir to coat noodles. Enjoy
Lake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: azielnik
WOE: low/moderate carb
Start Date: 1/2011
Shiratake noodlees

If you are expecting "normal" wheat-based pasta taste and texture and treat them that way you will likely be disappointed. Tastewise they are bland although some people find the taste a little "fishy" but rinsing and or boiling for 30 seconds can reduce that. More likely it is the "gelatinous" texture that you find weird. The taste and texture is almost identical to Korean yam-starch based clear noodles used in dishes such as stir-fry "chap chae", a mix of fresh vegetables, meat (usually marinated beef or pork although chicken and even fish cake or fried tofu work well), and seasoning including a little sesame oil; I also use a little low-sodium soy and some stir-fry sauce like "saigon sizzle" or a szechuan sauce and some hoisin for added flavor.

Virtually every culture has noodle dishes, especially soups, and many of them (especially Asian) or not wheat-based, so I urge you to explore ethnic recipes. There is a product similar to Shiratake which is seaweed based and also zero-carb) which is also refrigerated and found in some Asian stores.
azielnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013

Could the noodles based on seaweed be called Kelp Noodles? I bought a salad at a local health food store that had them. Kelp noodles are gelatinous, clear looking thin noodles. They taste good, I like them.
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeamove
Stats: 172/164/125
Start Date: Dec 5, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I am hoping to find these....I am going to check out some of the asian specialty stores here (my only chance of finding these in DK). I can't wait to try them in a stir fry!! I am getting tired of no noodles and rice....so I am looking forward to these!
I know you posted this awhile ago but in case it helps, I ordered mine online from the Konjac website. They are very reasonably priced (Amazon sells the same ones for much higher!) If you get the non-tofu ones the carbs and fiber are a complete wash so the net carbs are zero!
makeamove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #54

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
The Konjac site doesn't sell the blocks of Konjac though. I like the blocks for simmering in a hot pot. You can cut slices and they make a nice mouthful of flavor. But I can make a reasonable facsimile of the blocks at home with the glucomannan powder. I just ordered miracle noodles ( never thought I'd buy that brand, I hate their title.LOL) from amazon with the subscribe and save feature, but you are right it's still 30c more expensive than KonjacFoods. Netrition has it also, but it's still more expensive per package. Of course I can easily buy it locally, but they are not always open when I want them to be and sometimes out of stock.

I think it's funny how people want an Asian originated "noodle" to taste like an Italian wheat based "pasta" and get upset when it doesn't. I agree with many previous posters who say that you should try to put the noodle in dishes that it was designed to complement meaning Asian style dishes. I certainly wouldn't go putting lasagna in my Thai Stirfry and expecting it to taste as good. There are lots of cookbooks in the library, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Japanese cookbooks that have dishes calling for bean noodles, or cellaphane noodles where Shiritaki would be a great substitute because of the similar texture.

And it's okay to eat the whole bag if you aren't concerned about calories but you should be concerned about the effect of all that fiber in your gut all at once, you may feel nauseated or bloated for a day while it is all being broken down. and you may even go up on the scale a bit because of the amount of water it holds while it's still solid before it's digested down.

Quote:
Click to see a close-up

CARLA'S THAI BEEF SKILLET
1 pound lean ground beef
2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
2 tablespoons fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
8 romaine lettuce leaves

Brown the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet or wok; drain the grease. Add the peppers, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium-high heat about 4 minutes or until the peppers have softened slightly.

Meanwhile, whisk together the peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and cilantro. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the peanut butter mixture to the skillet; mix well. Serve the meat mixture rolled up in the lettuce leaves or over chopped lettuce.

Makes 4 servings
Freezing not recommended

Per Serving: 404 Calories; 29g Fat; 26g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

This was posted at Low Carb Friends by domsmom who got it from Family Circle Magazine. In the original recipe, they served this in pita bread. You can roll this up in lettuce leaves but I just served it over chopped lettuce. This is delicious and simple to make. Click the photo to see a close-up.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by becksterinindy View Post
I rinse them well and found soaking them in some cream with some cold water awhile works wonders. I cut them them up too with kitchen shears. Stir fry some veggies and the sauce I use (from my friend Anne) is

1 TBS Peanut butter
1 TBS splenda
1 TBS s/f rice vinegar
1 TBS soy sauce

It tastes just like Chinese take out to me.
Last time I tried them (years ago) I didn't like them at all, but recently I've been doing a sauce like this (usually without PB, but I like the PB, too) and I LOVE them. First I rinse well and then pan fry w/ no oil for a while to get them as dry as I can, then I put in a little oil and a couple of cups of shredded cabbage and stir fry that for a bit, then some of those big sprouts and heat for just another minute. Then I toss it all with a ton of fresh lime juice and a TON of cilantro. I use a fair amount of sweetener (I don't know if my proportions are similar to above, I never measure). I'm sure this would be awesome with some chicken or beef and some sesame oil drizzled on top (mine always goes rancid between uses since I don't use it that often, but it is so yummy! need to get more).

eta: That carla's thai beef looks awesome! I'm definitely gonna try that with or without shiritaki noodles.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 02-19-2012 at 10:55 AM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Use Zucchini or Carrots instead

I'd recommend shredding carrots or zucchini instead. You can saute them or boil them like noodles and use them in your dishes. They are way healthier than noodles and give you all sorts of vitamins/minerals. Yes, they are carbs -but you need carbs...just the right ones.
Angela - HealthMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dckisses
Bumping this thread! I finally found then after searching high and low, so excited.

All I say is praise those japanese!! /clapclapclap
I'm having them for dinner now and all I can think about is " omg I can't believe I'm actually having noodles!! "

I found that they go really well with this Asian sweet black sauce. The noodles are well coated with the sauce. Throw in some chicken, sliced meatballs and veg! Yummy! Guess down here in Asia we are used to eating rice noodles with similar texture so it taste really good! And filling!

I wanted to make them into a pasta dish but after reading fellow members comment, guess I'll stick to Asian dishes for now! Maybe next time for more adventurous tries!

Last edited by Dckisses; 04-23-2012 at 02:46 AM..
Dckisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #58

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Dckisses, you are on the right track looking for Asian dishes to complement the noodles. I found recently that I can stirfry a bunch of veggies, enoki mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, snow peas, seasoned bamboo, add some oyster sauce , rice vinegar, miso paste and sesame oil, and it's the perfect dish to add a handfull of shiritaki to for a filling flavorful meal. A bit of chopped chicken or cooked ground beef adds the protein and voila! ....Oops wrong language! ......Yatta! Dinner!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

This is exactly what I am looking for to ease back into lowcarbing! Thanks for sharing the creative recipes!
iheartcookiecrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janicekersey
Tuna Casserole using Shirataki noodles! Excellent

I read today as much as I could before I tried these noodles. I wanted to know if I could use them in a casserole; or bake them. They acted just like a regular noodle and tasted just like them too and not chewy like some said. No difference at all; I was impressed and pleased.

I rinsed them like the instructions said and then I sauteed them in a little olive oil as one guy had suggested.

Then I made my regular Tuna Casserole recipe using them. Try it, I think you will be just as pleased! This is my recipe; modify as you please. Since one Shirataki bag has 2 servings I did have to modify my own recipe a bit. It made about 3 servings total I believe using just 1 bag so double everything for a family.

Tuna Casserole:

1 bag Fettuccine Shiratiki noodles
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup celery; chopped
1/4 cup onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; minced
1 can (5oz) tuna
2 oz sliced canned mushrooms or equivalent of fresh
1/2 to 3/4 of 1 can mushroom soup
3/4 cup (divided) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp dill
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup crushed crackers or dried bread-crumbs (I used low-carb bread)

On med-high saute onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic in oil till softened (about 5 min). Drain Shirataki noodles and rinse with water, add to saute for 3-5 min. Add mushroom soup, 1/2 c of the cheddar cheese, dill, salt and pepper; blend together and till cheese is melted. Place in 1 qt casserole dish. May bake at 325 degrees for 20 mins or skip this part (I do) and go to next step. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and dried bread crumbs; place under broiler till cheese melted.
janicekersey is offline   Reply With Quote