Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skochrose
Stats: 152/150/130-135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 4, 2006
Atkins Fat Fast

Hi. Has anyone ever tried the Fat Fast to jump start 0 progress? Any tips? Any threads you could direct me to please!

Thank you very much!

Skochrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I did the fat fast back in maybe June or July - there was a thread posted here. I believe I did 3 days and lost 7 pounds - I was stalled for a very long time, so it was nice to see some movement. All in all, I found it successful and not really that hard to do. I tried to get 1000 calories per day and don;t remember the percentage of fat (I think 80 or higher) and I generally ate 5 "meals" per day. The meals were things like an ounce of macadamia nuts, 3 strips bacon, chicken salad made with extra mayo, cream cheese muffins, etc...

Good luck with your fat fast - and nice to see another Minnesotan here!
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I found the post with the cream cheese muffin recipe - here it is ...

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Yippee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim964 View Post
I found the post with the cream cheese muffin recipe - here it is ...

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.

Hello, fellow Minnesotan. Where are you now on the plan? These muffins sound delicious and I am going to try to make them today!!! Please keep in touch!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

here's my fat fast thread

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showth...light=fat+fast
Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
If you've already lost weight, you're no longer a candidate for the Fat Fast. Dr. Atkins had very specific criteria for using it, and "jump starting" a stall wasn't one of them.

Also, it should be done under the supervision of a doctor.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
If you've already lost weight, you're no longer a candidate for the Fat Fast. Dr. Atkins had very specific criteria for using it, and "jump starting" a stall wasn't one of them.

Also, it should be done under the supervision of a doctor.
I haven't lost - well 1.5 lbs. and the next day it was back up and I didn't cheat. This was on induction. Also, I don't see where he says under the supervision of a doctor although I do take this very seriously.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Day I: I weighed myself after trying the FF and I am down 1.5. Again, I did walk ~8.6 miles yesterday. I will take it!

I will say, it doesn't feel the best with the absence of meals as we know them. Just like the book says!
Old 12-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
Margarita tart

Gallery: pepperann58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skochrose View Post
I haven't lost - well 1.5 lbs. and the next day it was back up and I didn't cheat. This was on induction. Also, I don't see where he says under the supervision of a doctor although I do take this very seriously.
I just pulled out my book and went to the fat fast section. I didn't see anything on being under doctor supervision. I just read that it can be dangerous to people who are not metabolically resistant.

I hope that helps. I'm not an expert. I'm just going by those 2 pages so You might want to look it up if you have a book. Good luck!
pepperann58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Yes, that is exactly what I read as well. Thank you, T'ann.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
Margarita tart

Gallery: pepperann58
You're welcome!
pepperann58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: aunatural
Stats: 150/don't want to know/125
WOE: Breastfeeding-1800 cals 30% from carbs
Start Date: 02/06/06
Quote:
Hi. Has anyone ever tried the Fat Fast to jump start 0 progress? Any tips? Any threads you could direct me to please!

Thank you very much!

Hi,

I was planning to start a Fat Fast next week because I don't seem to melt like others do on Induction either. I tried a strict induction earlier this year but only managed to lose 3 lbs. in 2 weeks. I've pretty much been doing my own thing since then. I'll come back and post my menus and let you know how it goes. I plan to start on Monday.
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunatural View Post
Hi,

I was planning to start a Fat Fast next week because I don't seem to melt like others do on Induction either. I tried a strict induction earlier this year but only managed to lose 3 lbs. in 2 weeks. I've pretty much been doing my own thing since then. I'll come back and post my menus and let you know how it goes. I plan to start on Monday.
GREAT! I would enjoy the contact with someone who is in the same situation. I didn't lose anything on induction! It appears we are close in weight too. I will be honest with you, I felt horrible for 2 days on the FF!

How do you like the Slim in 6 program?

Please write again!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
GREAT! I would enjoy the contact with someone who is in the same situation. I didn't lose anything on induction! It appears we are close in weight too. I will be honest with you, I felt horrible for 2 days on the FF!

How do you like the Slim in 6 program?

Please write again!
Well, now my 3 pounds doesn't seem so bad. It was really frustrating for me getting on that scale and seeing hardly any movement. I even gave up my morning coffee with heavy cream to reduce any chance of stalling with too much dairy. No sour cream, no mayo, no cream cheese for 2 weeks and still 3 pounds! Even after that, I decided to just stick with it and add in veggies. I had a salad for dinner one night and actually gained a pound back overnight. I am leery about the meal plans for the fat fast because I have a big appetite and it just does not seem like enough food, but a few days won't kill me. What kind of meals did you eat during the fat fast?

I am the oddball in the Slim in 6 Challenge since I am the only one doing the challenge without actually doing the Slim in 6 workout series. I am just trying to increase my workouts to 6 days a week from 3 or 4 a week. So, I jumped on Barb's challenge and she was gracious enough to let me participate. I hear from the other ladies that they are great workouts though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Highest pregnancy weight- 179 lbs. Weight @ 1 week PP- 164 pounds. Weight @ 6 weeks PP- 155 pounds
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

interesting article (long)

I found this article with some other meal ideas for a Fat Fast. I think I will stick with Dr. Atkins recommendations for the first few days though.

The Fat Fast
Life In The Low Carb Lane

By Di Bauer, CarbSmart Editor

Posted 3/9/2002

The Fat Fast (also called the Atkins fat fast), as outlined by Dr. Atkins in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, is a tool that low carbers who are metabolically resistant can use to get themselves quickly into ketosis. It is also used by many low carbers (myself among them) to break a weight loss plateau or as a means of forcing themselves to get back on track when they have gone off-plan.

Simply put, the Fat Fast consists of a 3 or 5-day cycle in which you consume just 1,000 calories a day. 90% of those calories should come from fat. (The Fat Fast should not be extended beyond 5 days because it is deficient in protein.)

Dr. Atkins states that eating 4 or 5 mini-meals is better for our bodies than eating one large meal while doing the Fat Fast. During the Fat Fast you may consume either 4 250-calorie mini-meals or 5 200-calorie mini-meals. Consuming these small meals frequently throughout the day actually works better than complete fasting.

Dr. Atkins mentions cream cheese and macadamia nuts as the "perfect" Fat Fast foods. Ten ounces of cream cheese would be an entire day's food allotment; divide the cream cheese into 5 2-ounce servings. You could also opt for 5 ounces of macadamia nuts split into 5 1-ounce servings and consumed throughout the day.

That's not a lot of food. I find that when I do the Fat Fast I think about food constantly. I don't obsess about food because I get hungry (surprisingly, I do not get hungry), but simply because I can't have any - at least not any that I really want. The Fat Fast makes regular strict low carbing look absolutely luxurious.

I'm going to be completely honest here: I hate, loathe, and detest doing the Fat Fast. I get very grumpy because I get frustrated. My family says that I don't, but that just makes me think that they don't notice the difference because maybe, just maybe, I'm a pretty grumpy person all the time. It's either that or the kids are ignoring me in the same way they do when I tell them to clean their rooms or do their homework. Or perhaps they simply value their lives and know when to keep their mouths shut. The survival instinct is very strong in my brood.

(***Note: "But I was doing the Fat Fast!" is not a legitimate legal defense for mayhem or murder. I know this is true. I've checked.)

OK, I know what you want to ask me: "If the Fat Fast is so incredibly awful, why do you do it, you stupid woman?!?" (Well, you might not say the "stupid woman" part because you are ever so polite, but I know you're thinking it.)

Why? Because it works for me. If I am not in ketosis when I start the Fat Fast, I am when it's over. If I am having cravings to beat the band and hanging on by the skin of my teeth, when the Fat Fast is over the cravings are G - O - N - E and I'm perfectly happy to go back to munching on chicken legs and salads. If I've hit a plateau and stopped losing weight, my weight loss is jump started.

I've done the Fat Fast a half a dozen times in the last three years, and each time I have lost between 5 and 8 pounds during the three-day cycle. After I go back to eating normal low carb, I gain 2 to 4 of those pounds back, but have always ended up with a net loss for the 3-day period of between 2 to 4 pounds. (Your experience may be different from mine. The only way to find out for sure is to try it.)

Of course, a lot of people don't even consider doing the Fat Fast to get into ketosis or to break a stall because they can't stand the idea of subsisting on plain cream cheese and/or macadamia nuts for 3 days. I don't know about you, but I would be more likely to be able to cut off my big toe with a dull paring knife than I would be able to gag down 10 ounces of plain cream cheese. My throat closes up at the very thought. And I don't particularly like macadamia nuts, either.

Well, I don't have to choke down plain cream cheese or eat macadamia nuts, thank goodness. You don't, either. Dr. Atkins lists several alternatives in his chapter on the Fat Fast, and although caviar and avocados don't appeal to me, you may very well like them.

I have also developed a list of alternative food choices for the Fat Fast, which I've listed below. Some of them don't quite come up to the "90% of the calories from fat" parameter, but they come close enough and have worked for me.

Fat Fast Ideas And Recipes

There is one further plus to the Fast Fast which I haven't mentioned. There is very little food preparation involved. None of the ideas or recipes listed below will take you more than 5 minutes to prepare.

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream in a large mug of coffee (I use this to jump start my day and prevent abuse of those near and sometimes dear to me. In the summer I make it the night before and put it in the refrigerator, then pour it over ice. You could also pour it into popsicle molds and freeze it for Coffee Fat Fasticles. Yum!)

4 strips of bacon

Peanut Butter Cream Cheese
1 ounce cream cheese
1 tablespoon sugar free peanut butter
1 tablespoon heavy or whipping cream
10 drops Liquid Sweet & Low (or artificial sweetener of your choice)
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Blend all ingredients in a small bowl.

Serves 1. Approximately 208 calories.

***Note: If you life this one, make up several servings at one time and stick them into the refrigerator in custard cups for individual servings. That way you only have one cleanup.

2 ounces of cream cheese stuffed in one large celery stalk

1/2 pork rinds with 2 ounces of sour cream

Pork Rinds With Sour Cream Dip (This is not my recipe - Judi (Island Girl) forwarded it to me.)
1/2 ounce plain pork rinds (1/6 of 3-ounce bag)
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Blend parmesan into sour cream and use as dip for pork rinds

Without Parmesan: 164 calories, 8 grams fat (79%)

With Parmesan: 187 calories, 15 grams fat (77%)

2 tablespoons of sugar free peanut butter on an approximately 7 1/2-inch stalk of celery.

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped, sweetened with artificial sweetener, and flavored with vanilla or some other extract.

2 ounces of sour cream on approximately 1/2 cup sliced cucumber.

Tuna or chicken salad with triple the usually amount of mayonnaise.

I cook the bejeebers out of a whole chicken in the crockpot until the meat is literally falling off the bones, then shred the meat and save it for chicken salad or for soups. I strain the broth carefully (watch for small bones!) and freeze it.

I will usually reuse the broth to cook more than one chicken, which results in a superb, flavorful extra-strength broth which is great to sip on if you're sick.

2 egg yolks mashed up with lots of mayonnaise, salt, and pepper (like you would for deviled eggs), but eaten plain or with a few pork rinds, cucumber slices, or a celery stick

Peanut Butter Pudding (This is Rani Merens' recipe.)
2 tablespoons of sour cream
1 teaspoon sugar free peanut butter
Splenda (to taste)
Combine all the ingredients. This thickens up magnificently, and can either be eaten "as is" or partially frozen, but don't let it get rock hard unless you just want to suck on it.

***Note: If you life this one, make up several servings at one time and stick them into the refrigerator in custard cups for individual servings. That way you only have one cleanup.

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream in a can of diet soda (any flavor)

1/2 package sugar free Jell-O in 1/2 cup whipped heavy or whipping cream

1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped, with 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder and a few drops of liquid artificial sweetener added (to taste).

Jell-O Whip (Someone named Chris sent this to me a couple of years ago.)
1 small package sugar free Jell-O (any flavor)
1/2 cup boiling water
4 ice cubes
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature and cut into cubes
4 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
Dissolve the Jell-O completely in the boiling water, then add the ice cubes to cool it down and to thicken it.

When the ice cubes are melted, pour the gelatin mixture in the blender and add the cutup cream cheese. Whirl it around until the ingredients are completely blended. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl.

Whip the four ounces of cream, then fold it into the cream cheese mixture.

Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions, cover each with plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator to chill.

This makes 5 servings, or all the you need for one day of the Fat Fast. Of course, you wouldn't have to eat all 5 servings in one day. You could alternate them with other food choices.

Cream Cheese Jell-O Chunks (Someone sent me this idea, too, but I've misplaced their name).

10 ounces cream cheese, cut into 20 equal squares (Not softened!) 1 small packet sugar free Jell-O, any flavor

Pour the dry gelatin powder into a small bowl or onto a salad plate. Set aside.

Roll the 20 cream cheese squares into balls. Roll each ball in the dry gelatin mixture. Place the coated balls on a plate, cover them with plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat them

Each Fat Fast serving is 4 balls.
http://www.**************/fatfast.html
Old 12-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbolton
Hi. I am new on this forum and can't figure out how to post a new question. Any help is appreciated.

Sbolton
Minnesota
sbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
>>Because it works for me. If I am not in ketosis when I start the Fat Fast, I am when it's over. If I am having cravings to beat the band and hanging on by the skin of my teeth, when the Fat Fast is over the cravings are G - O - N - E and I'm perfectly happy to go back to munching on chicken legs and salads. If I've hit a plateau and stopped losing weight, my weight loss is jump started.>>

The author of the article is, I believe, doing Atkins low carbers a disservice. Using the Fat Fast for these reasons is not what Dr. Atkins intended. If anyone bothers to READ what he says about it in DANDR, they'll see this. It's still all the wrong reasons for doing the Fat Fast... according to Dr. Atkins.

But hey... everybody has their own journey... and if someone wants to mess with their metabolism, I guess there's no stopping 'em.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Skoch,

Today is my 2nd and last day of the fat fast and judging from the scale, I will not have lost more than 2 pounds. I'll let you know the results when I weigh in the morning. I must say Dr. Atkins is right, you don't really feel hungry but you're not satisfied either. It's a weird feeling. Almost like you're not eating at all yet you're not hungry. I agree with the article author too. I thought about food constantly! A little further in the section on the Fat Fast/metabolically challenged section, Dr. Atkins says that people who have a hard time losing weight should plan on it taking longer than it will for others. So, if I got nothing out of this "experiment", I think I got the push I needed to find the right meal plan for me and stick to it, and maybe accept that it will take me longer than I might like, but it will happen if I stick with it. I will certainly be more disciplined tomorrow during the Christmas Luncheon at work because I have gained a new perspective. I baked an almond pound cake to take to the luncheon and didn't even lick the bowl!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Skoch,

Today is my 2nd and last day (somehow, the 1st day was the easiest) of the fat fast and judging from the scale, I will not have lost more than 2 pounds. I'll let you know the results when I weigh in the morning. I must say Dr. Atkins is right, you don't really feel hungry but you're not satisfied either. It's a weird feeling. Almost like you're not eating at all yet you're not hungry. I agree with the article author too. I thought about food constantly! A little further in the section on the Fat Fast/metabolically challenged section, Dr. Atkins says that people who have a hard time losing weight should plan on it taking longer than it will for others. So, if I got nothing out of this "experiment", I think I got the push I needed to find the right meal plan for me and stick to it, and maybe accept that it will take me longer than I might like, but it will happen if I stick with it. I will certainly be more disciplined tomorrow during the Christmas Luncheon at work because I have gained a new perspective. I baked an almond pound cake to take to the luncheon and didn't even lick the bowl!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:02 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Skoch,

Today is my 2nd and last day of the fat fast and judging from the scale, I will not have lost more than 2 pounds. I'll let you know the results when I weigh in the morning. I must say Dr. Atkins is right, you don't really feel hungry but you're not satisfied either. It's a weird feeling. Almost like you're not eating at all yet you're not hungry. I agree with the article author too. I thought about food constantly! A little further in the section on the Fat Fast/metabolically challenged section, Dr. Atkins says that people who have a hard time losing weight should plan on it taking longer than it will for others. So, if I got nothing out of this "experiment", I think I got the push I needed to find the right meal plan for me and stick to it, and maybe accept that it will take me longer than I might like, but it will happen if I stick with it. I will certainly be more disciplined tomorrow during the Christmas Luncheon at work because I have gained a new perspective. I baked an almond pound cake to take to the luncheon and didn't even lick the bowl!
I must say that I still think we are in the same boat. I lost three! But I am going to stick with it as well. Dr. Atkins said stick with it 4-5 days, but I made it two days. Perhaps it is because we don't have that much to lose overall...what do you think? I know it will be a fight all of the way.

Today I ran for 1/2 an hour and walked up hill the other 1/2 hour. So I know I am good in the exercise commitment area.

I felt really strange in the first day of the fat fast as well! Congratulations on surpassing bowl licking test! THAT IS REALLY DIFFICULT TO PASS UP! Please keep in touch and I will be there to listen!

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Wherever you want to post, say on the end of someone else's comment, you would hit the key in the lower right corner with the feather. That is the reply key. Depress your return after that to send.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
I must say that I still think we are in the same boat. I lost three! But I am going to stick with it as well. Dr. Atkins said stick with it 4-5 days, but I made it two days.
Oh, I knew there was no way I was going to make it 5 days on the fat fast. I weighed 145 this morning and I started off at 147 so my prediction was correct. That's a pound a day and some people can do that on regular induction. On a brighter note, I was able to avoid temptation at the Christmas luncheon today. Even though I didn't really lose any weight, I think the fast put me into ketosis because I really don't have any cravings and my mouth tastes funny.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Hey, Georgia!

Quote:
Oh, I knew there was no way I was going to make it 5 days on the fat fast. I weighed 145 this morning and I started off at 147 so my prediction was correct. That's a pound a day and some people can do that on regular induction. On a brighter note, I was able to avoid temptation at the Christmas luncheon today. Even though I didn't really lose any weight, I think the fast put me into ketosis because I really don't have any cravings and my mouth tastes funny.
I look at it this way. Two pounds in two days is better than whatever it was you lost in two weeks on induction. It sure sounds like metabolic resistance, doesn't it?

I felt really tired personally.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

hey Tim!

Morning! Found the answers to the question I was going to post so I am ok and erased the question!!!! I must need coffee!

Last edited by Skochrose; 12-21-2006 at 05:37 AM..
Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Aunatural: How are you today???
Old 12-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tippy Toes
Stats: 263/150/150 to 155
Start Date: April 16 2004
I would like to put in my 2 cents worth here. I have done the fat fast several times. I stalled out on Atkins after a 50 lb loss and had 50 lbs to go, even upon returning to induction. What I did was use the fat fast for 3 or 4 days a month and then transition back to Atkins. I would lose maybe (and keep off) 3 lbs a month but it was better than 0. Eventually I hit goal but it took a long time--however, 3 to 4 days a month did not kill me. I have been cyber bashed for doing it but I don't care. Bash away... It does work! I am now going thru peri-meno and am starting to regain a little. In trying to avoid the fat fast (it is kind of tough) I am attempting to cut back some fats and calories. If this doesn't get my weight in check soon, I will be joining you all. I have also been bashed for doing ******* but it too works. I have always transitioned back to Atkins after short bouts of either. I believe whole heartedly that a metabolism can adapt to low calorie, low carb, ect but it takes longer than 3 or 4 days. Those who say we ruin our metabolisms should take into consideration the damage we already caused when we reached our highest weights.

What the fat fast did for me: I lost (eventually) the other 50 lbs. I was able to get off high blood pressure meds and am now 100/70 range. I feel like a million dollars. I have not been sick since starting Atkins--even doing the fat fast occasionally and *******--not so much as a sniffle.

I am grateful to know about the fat fast. It saved me.
Tippy Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 AM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dae_tona
Stats: 186/124 5'0 size 2 in misses/sz 7 in juniors
WOE: Eating like a thin person
Start Date: Feb 2002/Maintaining since May 2004
I won't say I did the fat fast. I did the meat and egg fast and dropped 7 lbs in 3 days - after being stalled for a good 7 months straight. Not only did that break my stall, it also got my cravings under control and suppressed my appetite. I kept those 7 lbs off by SLOWLY adding back in carb veggies as time went on. That is the secret to keeping the pounds off afterwards - add carbs back in VERY SLOWLY. To me, I think the meat/egg fast works way better than the fat fast. Why? Because if you lose 3 lbs within 3 days, it means that you need to come down on your carbs. I thought I was doing everything right until that 7 lb loss on the scale told me otherwise. to me, it's a great benefit for someone that wants to experience deep ketosis and lose their appetite more quickly.
dae_tona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tippy Toes
Stats: 263/150/150 to 155
Start Date: April 16 2004
I am now so darned inspired I am joining you TODAY! Breakfast: 1 oz cream cheese and a small handful of walnuts, mixed.
Tippy Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dae_tona
Stats: 186/124 5'0 size 2 in misses/sz 7 in juniors
WOE: Eating like a thin person
Start Date: Feb 2002/Maintaining since May 2004
Someone asked some information about the meat/egg fast. Here are the rules and the info if anyone else is interested. I had them saved on one of my word documents. I think the meat/egg fast works better than the fat fast because you are sitting at 0 carbs rather than eating foods that contain carbs - like cheese, nuts, etc.

* Protein only (lean for best results)
* Skip unnecessary fats like cheese and cream
* Skip alcohol (yes, all forms!)
* Skip junk protein like pepperoni and pork rinds
* Drink diet beverages and plain coffee & tea as desired
* Use artificial sweeteners as desired
* No calorie counting
* No cheating (it's 3 days!)
* Eat a Centrum type vitamin each day

Technically this is only a 3-day experiment intended mainly to get the
person into deep ketosis when one can learn what ketosis means in terms of
how they feel. It should also help people decide whether they were
previously doing the right thing for them or whether they should adjust
their carb intake.

For people who had been consuming a high level of carbs it might take a
little longer than 3 days to see some results (i.e. till they deplete li
glycogen in the liver.) When the Experiment is over one may decide which
route to take for continued weight loss, that is, what LC eating plan they
wish to follow. However, if vitamin supplements are regularly taken, the
"experiment" can be continued until reasonably close to goal.

I have been through a big chunk of the original thread on this experiment
and have collected a lot of Kimmer's posts and put them under different
headings. Some of this may sound disjointed or repetitive, but keep in mind
that Kimmer was mostly responding to people's questions. I need to put in a
disclaimer here - what follows is what Kimmer said, not what I say or even
agree with!! (even though I do! )

The basics of the Experiment and Kimmer’s Experience

The purpose of the "experiment" is to show how 'real' ketosis feels ... no
appetite, excellent weight loss. That the carbs are very, very low or 0 is
key. This is what Dr. A was talking about in Induction! When we severely
restrict carbs, our bodies (who DON'T want to use body fat for energy!),
will go to the glycogen in our livers. When that's used up (3 days roughly),
it's like a flood gate is opened and our bodies give up a lot of extra water
... that's the 3-7 pounds people lose in the first few days.

Actually I did Stillman's for 3 days to get into ketosis ASAP (I am deathly
afraid of being hungry!) The difference between this "experiment" and
Stillman's is picking any protein you like ... Stillman's is "lean" only.
Then I moved onto Atkins Induction and stayed for 6 months (<20 carbs, no
'treats') and with zero appetitite, I was fine eating relatively few
calories.

However, if I were going to do it today, I would have stayed on Stillman's
the whole time ... easier, less cooking/shopping, faster. The quantities of
veggies I was eating wasn't enough to seriously contribute nutritionally ...
IMO, of course. The downside for many would be boredom, but I'm not bored at
all losing 4-7 pounds a week!

******* is what someone termed how I lost my weight ... my version of
Atkins:
• <20 carbs (no fiber subtraction)
• 70-90 gm protein,
• just enough fat to make your menus work
absolutely no LC treats!

Some people have never experienced what I term 'real' ketosis with the
strong appetite suppression (OK, nausea) and very rapid weight loss. This is
a chance to see what it's like.

Warning - not everyone likes the feeling, even if you're losing faster than
scientifically possible (per the 3500 calorie deficit = equals 1 pound
theory).

I lost 160 pounds in 7 months, then took 3 months to do the last 20. Over
the past 3 years I've lost a few more to equal 200 lbs total.

The idea of the 3 day experiment is to show what 'real' ketosis feels like.
Keep in mind that if someone is carbed-up (especially if they do it on
purpose), they may need 5 days to get rid of the excess glycogen in their
liver.

After you're in ketosis, GRADUALLY slip into the LC program of your choice.
Naturally, the fewer carbs the better the loss. Lower calorie choices will
provide faster loss than higher calories.

BUT ... you want to make it livable for your lifetime. Any of us can fall
back on pure protein to make up for a lax weekend. You're harming your body
when you assault it with sugar (carbs) ... which, chances are, aren't coming
from nutritious, high antioxidant sources ... more like good 'ol comfort
food.

For the 3-5 days, skip the extra fats (cheeses). When you begin switching to
a LC plan, watch the cheese as the calories really add up quickly
Yeah, dairy sounds innocent but the choices on LC are essentially fats with
double the calories of protein or carbs. I love cheese, sour cream, cream
cheese, heavy cream and butter as much as the next person, but at 100
calories per miniscule serving ...

Keep in mind that calories count, not just carbs. It's possible to eat only
17 carbs if you ate 3 cups of mayonnaise (ewwww!) But check out that 5000
calorie count!

And that wouldn't even include the protein you'd eat throughout the day (not
that you'd want to eat anything after downing a glass of mayo, LOL!) yuk!
Eat as much as you like, drink as much as you like and absolutely use
protein as a snack! I like steak chunks, tuna salad or fresh hard boiled
eggs (don't like 'em cold ...) They have .6 per large egg. Eggs are actually
two thirds fat!

During my weight loss phase I counted every carb ... eggs, coffee, tea, diet
soda, cheese ... all the "little" ones because they sure add up fast!

For purposes of this experiment, skip the .6 carb count.

What to Expect

People who are on Day 3 and haven't lost, you may be the few that need to go
5 days to deplete your glycogen (think back to what you ate before you
started the 3 Day). The weight loss will come, and impressively.

Other 'slow' losers, wait one more day, when you see the big WHOOSH (like
others have posted), then you know the glycogen is gone. And we should keep
in mind digestive issues ...

Ahhhh, that's the thing! If you were at 20-30 carbs, then give it 1-2 more
days. When you see the 2 lb WHOOSH, you're on your way! Interesting trivia
is that on this BB, the largest percentage of people who 'stall' after
Induction are at 25-30 carbs. You will lose even more if you're exercising
(you'll also achieve ketosis faster because your body is yanking the
glycogen out of your liver!) It's a good thing!

Using the Experiment as a benchmark

Reminder ... weigh yourself on Day 2. If you've lost more than 3-5 pounds,
you were over on carbs before. Keep in mind that if you lost 3+ pounds in
the 3 days, you were over on carbs before ... something to keep in mind when
picking carb choices!

Note to the 'hungry' folks. This is a sure sign that you were over on carbs
before. Everyone keep in mind that your body DOES NOT want to convert to
body fat for fuel! Your body always wants to take the easy route, which is
sugar (carbs). This is why when people first do Induction (or this 3 day
thing), they feel tired, cranky, have cravings ... their brain is sending a
HARD message that it wants fuel, NOW. Those who stick with Induction without
caving in are rewarded with ketosis, weight loss and reduced appetite ...
their bodies have SUCCESSFULLY converted to burning body fat! Now, those
folks who 'relax' on weekends send their bodies back to Square 1 and
cravings. These are also the people who 'feel better' after eating carbs and
mistakenly think their bodies 'need them'. Wrong. Their bodies wanted sugar
and they obliged ... vicious cycle.

That you're still hungry on Day 3 would tell me that you were "over" on
carbs before you started and your body is still processing them. Your
glycogen isn't depleted yet. Wait 2 more days, check your loss and wait for
the appetite suppression.

How much to eat

Don't eat until you get hungry (mildly hungry, don't wait until you're
starving!) Don't count calories, don't cut back on quantities ... EAT if
you're hungry

I got 2 PMs from people who are "hungry". EAT!!! Snack on more HB eggs, make
an omelette, fry up a steak, throw some chickie pieces on your Foreman grill
... eat! The appetite suppression is coming, honest!

Don't cave in with a "taste" of carbs. You'll be back at square 1. Again.

Don't worry about the protein/glucose conversion. Want proof? Look at how
much you'll lose in 3 days. . if you're hungry, eat! Just avoid ANY and all
CARBS!

no cheese! Protein only

Liquids

Drink what your body tells you. I find that I'm more thirsty in ketosis (and
I've noticed others posting the same on this BB).

Don't force liquids, drink what you need. If you're keeping with ONLY
protein & NO carbs, yes, drink diet soda until your eyes fall out of their
sockets

Foods to eat and foods to avoid

Eat eggs until they ban you from the store, LOL! Eggs are an incredible,
edible food! Your "pizza" is perfectly fine. Watch for an appetite change
when you wake up tomorrow ... remember, no carbs! If you can, skip the
mustard and soy sauce for now. If you can't, use the least amount possible.
I'd avoid the pork rinds, they're very high calories and you can snack away
more than you intended, LOL!

Don't worry about the carbs in the eggs ... those are the 'innocent' ones
that come naturally with protein.

Yes, use the fat you normally use for cooking. I wouldn't suggest "extra"
fats as in whipped cream or cream cheese because they tend to end up as high
calorie desserts ... appetite or not!

Ketosis and the Sticks

Hey, don't rely on the sticks to tell you if you're in ketosis (stick
addicts won't be able to help themselves, LOL!)

Check your scales! If you've lost weight (and I'm thinking 4-5 pounds or
more ... yes, water weight, but who cares!) ... you're in ketosis!

Bathroom issues

I don't like the side effects of laxatives (cramping, working "too well" if
you know what I mean, LOL) and I've found that milk thistle has an excellent
laxative effect ... perfect, actually.

I take milk thistle as a spectacular liver protector! In European hospitals,
the ERs administer milk thistle for those who have eaten poisonous mushrooms
(apparently it's a fairly common situation). I would imagine they use huge
doses, but the point is that the people don't die. Milk thistle actually
helps repair liver tissue! I buy a big 180 capsule bottle at Wal Mart for
$14 and I take 4 a day (2 & 2). Do a web search for info (and no toxicity!)

What to do after the Experiment

After the 3 days, you can either stay on protein ... or transition to Atkins
Induction (or whatever program you're following).

You need to keep your carbs very low after the 3 days or you'll get out of
ketosis!

From a health standpoint, you would be OK as long as you take supplements to
compensate for the veggies/fruits you aren't eating ... ditto on straight
Atkins or Stillman's.

You want to begin adding veggies when you're within 20 pounds of goal so you
can practice making food choices and not be overwhelmed

After the 3 days you can decide what you want to do:

1) Continue on protein & naturally occurring fats until close to goal

2) Begin adding SMALL servings of very low carb veggies

3) Go to Atkins Induction (but depending on your definition of "Induction",
this can backfire!)

Yes, more than 3 days is fine. Be sure to take a Centrum type vitamin each
day.

Absolutely introduce your carbs slowly when you begin. Try a SMALL salad at
lunch, another at dinner type of thing. Slowly work your way up to however
fast/slow you want to lose

If you keep your carbs VERY VERY low, you'll stay in this state of "no
hunger" and rapid weight loss ... if that's what you want (not everyone
does!)

Going to LC treats will almost guarantee your quick departure from Ketosis
Central ... something to consider.

Nothing about the "experiment" can backfire. What you're doing is keeping
carbs very, very low (or non existent). For people who have a difficult time
losing, Dr. Atkins advised reducing carbs to 15 or 10 ... "or for especially
difficult cases, 0 carbs".
dae_tona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Aunatural: How are you today???
I'm doing great today. I am still eating a meat and egg type induction diet since the Fat Fast gave me some perspective on what I need to do and it really makes Induction seem like a buffet.