Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Wow, this thread is three years old and dates back to the days of Kimmer.

Why are you doing the Fat Fast? Are you significantly metabolically resistant?
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Blue_ View Post
I started the Atkin Fat Fast yesterday... and I'm doing so well... this has been the first day with no appetite, and no more constant food thoughts.

I kind of got ganged up on over at the Atkins Forum, so I left. I don't think they want anyone there there doing anything they don't approve of. See:

Has Anyone Done the ATKINS FAT FAST? - Atkins Diet

Blue
Welcome Blue
Its got nothing to do with them not approving. it has to do with Dr Atkins the inventor of the fat fast not approving of people using it unless they have done a clean atkins 14 day inductiion and are in fact metabolically resistant.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doggz109
Stats: 382/Under 300/180
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Dec 2010
Holy thread necro Batman......this thread was dead and buried!
doggz109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #64

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I know--the topic always comes back, though.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lisatruitt
over concern about fat fast

I think all the over concern about the fat fast is silly. I think the reason Dr. Atkins said it could be dangerous if done by anyone but those who are severely metabolically resistant is just the usual medical conservatism serving to cover their butts and lessen liability and litigation. Don't get me wrong, I think Dr. Atkins seems to have been a great guy, but he was doctor and this kind of mindset is just ingrained in them. Most people can do a water or juice fast of two or three days to a week with no problem. There are people with medical conditions that either should not do it or should have supervision, but that is the exception rather than the norm. I have read a number of books on fasting by doctors who do supervised longer fasts for various health conditions, and they say that a two or three day to week long fast for people without health conditions that contraindicate it is fine, and they tell you how to do it. I'm sure that the fat fast is even safer than that.

I think the people who are squawking about using the fat fast for "unapproved" uses just are ignorant of the information that I just explained. They think that if Dr. Atkins says it it is gospel and he can say no wrong. I have done two or three day to week long fasts several times, and while I don't think now that I would do it again or that it is necessarily a good idea to do a total fast, it certainly didn't hurt me at all.

One of the ladies, I don't remember her name, was discouraging a lady from doing it because she only lost four pounds on the first 2 weeks in induction. I agree that four pounds is pretty good. I Only lost that in about the first four to six weeks. But if she wants to do a few days of fat fast to improve her ketosis every month or two, I don't see any reason why she shouldn't as long as she does well with it, feels reasonably well, etc. This discouraging lady made comments about it ruining your metabolism and causing you to not be able to lose weight possibly except with drastic measures. What are you basing this on? Dr. Atkins never said that. His concern is that people would lose weight too fast to the point that it would be dangerous. He claims that he personally lost twenty eight pounds in one month on induction. It sounds like maybe just regular old induction allows him to lose weight at a faster rate than many will even with these periodic fat fasts. In other words, fat fasts can put some people at the same level of fat loss or closer to the same level as some others can get with just induction. The reason those people can lose so much on induction is because they have less insulin/insulin resistance. If the fat fast helps really slow losers to catch up, and ameliorate the insulin resistance, I don't know why you would use it for a last resort. If you are someone who loses weight very slowly, I don't think you need to worry about losing weight too fast even with some fat fasts thrown in. I think that warning and cautioning people to only use the fat fast if they lose like 0 on induction is silly. If someone is losing excruciatingly slowly on induction, even close to zero carb induction, I think throwing in a few days of fat fasting every month or two would be a great idea. It would probably greatly improve their health and insulin resistance.

In the study that was done by Kekwick and Pawan there is no indication that the ninety percent fat ten percent protein diet was considered dangerous, or that they were careful to only choose the most severely metabolically resistant people to test it. Of course you want to limit the time to a week or less so that your body doesn't go without optimal protein for too long. It was this diet (ninety percent fat, 10 percent protein) that allowed for maximal fat loss as opposed to losing muscle or water. Those who did the opposite, eating 90 percent protein only lost half as much. Dr. Atkins did not invent the fat fast. This is where he got the idea.

Last edited by lisatruitt; 08-27-2011 at 11:58 AM..
lisatruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/124/115 5'3''
Ive tried the fat fast a few times, it works really well but I got kinda light headed if I did too much physically. its just really really hard to stay on, you do think about food constantly
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jump4joy
Stats: 235/195/145
WOE: self-designed low-carb
Start Date: August 2011
Well said, Lisa. You are a voice of reason.
jump4joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I've decided to try the fat fast over the weekend (Friday-Sunday). I'm going to add one protein shake which bumps my calories to 1200. I'm not a big believer in the whole calorie thing, so this is just an experiment to see if I can get my weight loss jump started. I keep gaining and losing the same 3 pounds no matter what I do. I'm going to have five mini meals:
1 - 2 scrambled eggs in butter
2- 1/2 cup sf jello w/hwc, cream cheese, and chia gel
3- tuna w/mayo
4- 2 deviled eggs (1 whole egg), 6 macadamia nuts, 2 tbsp. HEB's natural gaucamole
5- protein shake w/hwc, club soda (instead of water), DaVinci's, chia gel, flaxmeal

I've calculated the measurements I need for each meal as well as calories, fat, fiber, protein, and carbs. We shall see...
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TriedItAll
Stats: 190/168.4/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2012
I've been in an Atkins stall for about a month now. I lost 20lbs in about 6 weeks and then my weight loss completely stopped. I've increased my cardio workouts to 7 days a week from the 4 or 5 I was doing before. I have gone from walking to walking 50% of my workout time and jogging 50% of my workout time as I'm working towards being able to run a 5k. I have kept myself on induction and haven't changed what I've been eating from the beginning, no new foods introduced, etc, that I can pin this on.

All that said, I too am interested in trying the fat fast as I am in ketosis, working out, and strictly following induction and have been stalled out for a month. Twilight, I'm interested in hearing how your weekend shaped up!
TriedItAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

I've lost 2.5 pounds (I'll weigh "officially" in the morning) and my morning blood sugar is significantly lower. One thing I would do differently is figure out a different meal plan for each day to give me a little variety. I'll be glad to eat something different tomorrow!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

My 2.5 pounds of weight loss stuck, plus I've lost an inch in the bust. My morning BS is lower (not perfect yet, but lower). Overall, I think it was a good experiment. It's given me some things to think about.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Congratulations on the loss Twilight! I started today and will weigh tomorrow morning to see the results of day 1. I really hope this works! I actually didn't find it as hard to stick to as I thought. I guess we'll see how days 2 and 3 shape up though. Lucky for me I could eat a box of cream cheese and enjoy every bit of it.

At this point I would be thrilled with any loss, big or small.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Question for you guys, is the weight loss from the fat fast water weight or is it actually fat loss? Sorry for the dumb question!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #74

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
if you had been eating a significant amount of carbs before hand then it could be water weight as your body quickly uses up glycogen from your liver and muscles, this holds a lot of water to be stored, so it would be released when used up.

However, if you had been low carbing long enough to not have large stores of glycogen, then it would be likely that any weight loss would be used fat, since you don't have water-glycogen stores to use up and release.

So the answer is: It depends.

ETA: Oh , the real reason I came to post is a question for the note on meat/egg fasters to avoid junk proteins like pepperoni or pork rinds. Why would pork rinds be considered a Junk protein? is it because of the fat content since it states to eat lean protein? It's pretty much just pure protein and fat, no filler or carbs if you buy plain. or is it just because it's associated with snacking and chips?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 07-25-2012 at 03:15 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Metga, for the info! Today is day 3 for me on my fat fast. I stated at 168.4 and ended at 165.2 so I guess it works! That said, my TOM made a surprise early appearance on day 2 and so I am wondering just how skewed that may have made my numbers? Anyways, as I am feeling good, I think I am going to carry on to 5 days. Wish me luck!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Adeline
Hello all,
I just saw this thread and am very glad...I've never heard of the protein fast.
This is day 3 of the Fat Fast for me and so far I've not been hungry or had any side effects of any kind. I'm thinking of doing it for 5 days..not sure yet. As of this morning I have lost 3.7 pounds, I have been just bouncing around with the same 2-5 pounds since the middle of Sept. WAY TOO LONG, since I still have another 60-65 pounds to lose. I'm hoping this will get be started losing again.
Nothing should ever be dead here...there's always someone who can benefit from all the info. and your experience.
Thanks everyone
p.s. Yep, I didn't get much positive feedback on the Atkins site when I asked about the Fat Fast either.
Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
I have been at the Atkins web site for around 7 months.There was recently one member that stalled for several months and he happened to suggest the fat fast.They attacked him right and left about not going on it.They were down right hostile towards him.Needless to say he went on to do the fat diet.He did break his stall.I haven't been back to check on how he made out on it.I just got so disgustedd by how they treated him,not to mention how they treat everybody else that dosen't do it their way.That place has got a group of C W
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jump4joy
Stats: 235/195/145
WOE: self-designed low-carb
Start Date: August 2011
New Fat Fast cookbook

I just got Dana Carpender's new ebook cookbook for my Kindle, and I plan on starting a Fat Fast next Monday and do it for 3-5 days....no more than that, and see if I can jumpstart my weight-loss. I've been low-carbing for 2 years and I've been on this stall for a long time...and I still have about 60 lbs. to lose!

Last edited by jump4joy; 02-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: 1st link didn't work
jump4joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #79

What's the title? Good Luck on your jumpstart!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
I think it's "CarbSmart Press Fat Fast Cookbook" by Dana Carpender
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #81

Thanks, i'll see if there is a nook version!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anthea_f
Fat Fast Cookbook

Hi I have also just bought the cookbook by dana carpenter. Bought it thru Amazon. Am planning on starting it only next week Monday as I have to source all these damn products. I see that in the States you have access to so many amazing products and most of the sugar sweeteners. I haven't been able to find the liquid sucralose or pumpkin spice or true lime........when I ask the shops, they stare at me blankly . Even trying to high fat mince is not easy. And do you make a broth with an entire chicken and certain vegetables and just let it simmer, then strain it? I am quite excited to get this all started
anthea_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #83

I make broth with only the bones as I can't stand the taste and texture of "boiled chicken". To me it's a waste of the meat to boil it, so I would broil the whole chicken, then remove the meat from the carcass and then make broth with the bones leftover. You can also ask your butcher at the supermarket to keep the bones from when they trim meats and make beef bone broth.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Metqa
Have done exactly that today and have also been preparing pork rind. Got the recipe from a butcher as the shops have stopped bring in the already made pork rind.
Are did you find the fat fast diet? Am already feeling a little hungry. Do you think I can use bottled mayonnaise instead of making one?
Any advice? Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Just a quick question....I'm been very faithful to plan for an entire month. No weight loss. So I lowered to Meat/egg diet. No loss. Maybe this will kickstart me into losing. It did take over 2 weeks for ketosis to begin. The only real problem, my son-in-law started this the same day. He's lost over 20 lbs. (hate him, ha) Let me know how your results are. Will stay in touch.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Lindy

Hi Lindy
Will keep you in the loop
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthea_f View Post
Thanks Metqa
Have done exactly that today and have also been preparing pork rind. Got the recipe from a butcher as the shops have stopped bring in the already made pork rind.
Are did you find the fat fast diet? Am already feeling a little hungry. Do you think I can use bottled mayonnaise instead of making one?
Any advice? Thanks
I think you can use regular mayonaise, but it's good to check the ingredients for added sugar. Also, most store mayo is made with soybean oil and that's not the healthiest oil. You could find one made with other oils like olive oil or grapeseed oil. It's easy to make your own mayo if you have a stick blender or emulsion blender. Macadamia oil, bacon fat, Avocado oil, coconut oil ( in part) all make good oils to make homemade mayo with.

But in the mean time, yeah, store bought is okay. I suggest Dukes brand for being a good flavor and having no added sugar variety.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: REIGN
Hello everyone

I am 40 yrs old, 5'7'' in height, and I weigh 305lbs. I am starting a fat fast today. I wanted to thank everyone here for all of the information, and I will post my daily, and weekly results. Thank You
REIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by REIGN View Post
I am 40 yrs old, 5'7'' in height, and I weigh 305lbs. I am starting a fat fast today. I wanted to thank everyone here for all of the information, and I will post my daily, and weekly results. Thank You
I have heard really good results on this. Good luck!!!!
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #90

Good Luck.
I started one Yesterday and am down 1 kilo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REIGN View Post