Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mikan
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 30, 2006
Has anyone here had any rashes while on a low-carb diet?

I developed a rash at about the same time I started Atkins' just over a month ago. It's on my torso and is super-itchy and sometimes painful. It's waxed and waned weekly for the past four weeks and my dermatologist and I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause. Some of my friends questioned a possible association between the rash and this WOE, but I truly didn't think the two could be related. Until today, that is. ::Cue dramatic music::

In desperation, I did some googling and found hits for a study that noted that "...people on the low-carb diet had more side effects including constipation, headaches, bad breath, muscle cramps, diarrhoea, general weakness and a rash." [my italics]

I love this WOE because of the reduced appetite and hunger pangs, but if the result is this rashiness then I'm going to have to reconsider. I have another appointment with the dermy, but if anyone here has had a similar experience I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm really hoping there's no connection between my rash and low-carb eating.
mikan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinec
Stats: 176/148/135 MAYBE 128 (SZ 8)
WOE: Low carb/low fat/low cals
Start Date: 8/14/2006 start AGAIN
No rash here.

My skin and hair are in better condition now. Hope you find out what is causing your rash!
divinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: DeliGirl
Stats: -25 from restart (-80 from highest ever)
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: May 26, 2010
The only time I got a rash, was when I added in CLA. Apparently some people are allergic to it.

Hope it clears up soon.
DeliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. The only supplement I've added to my diet is potassium, but I've just realized that I haven't mentioned this to the doctor. I'll have to bring this up next time I see her. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bhambabe
Stats: R4P3 91 pounds released
WOE: Dr. Simeon's Protocol HHCG
Start Date: Started 7/21/09
I have a small rash on my chest , my herbalist I work with long-distance was thinking it was a yeast problem . I started taking his formal a few weeks ago and thankfully it's starting to fade. .A low carb diet is somewhat like a yeast free diet if you take away the cheeses and vinager and mushrooms . Hope you find your problem.
Bhambabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I'm glad to hear that your rash is clearing up, Bhambabe. If the dermatologist isn't able to figure out what's going on soon, I may take the non-conventional medicine route, too. In the meantime, I'll keep on applying the corticosteroid cream. I think it keeps the rash amused.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: grumpygirl
Start Date: July 2002
I absolutely came down with a prickly, itchy red rash when I started doing Atkins.

I was taking more vitamins at the time than I had taken oin the past (read: I never used to take vitamins) and my doctor thought the B vitamins and Niacin were the culprit.

I hated that rash, and I still don't know to this day if it was low-carbing that did it, or the vitamins. It went away in about six weeks. Good luck with yours! Aveeno baths and a good antihistimine helped me a lot.
grumpygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
aka fuelmanswife

Gallery: Beth1121
Stats: -20
WOE: VLC
Start Date: August 2010
It could be a food allergy, a reaction to something, or it could be candida (yeast overgrowth) that is fighting back due to your cut in carbs (i.e. the food it prefers). If it keeps up, see a doc.
Beth1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
I occassionally get rashes under the breast and the belly overhang (got them before going lowcarb). A remedy that has worked for me (which I learned on a lowcarb list) is hydrogen peroxide -- the the hydrogen peroxide works, it is a yeast rash, if not, something else. Good luck.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madeleine
Stats: Start weight 149/Current 137/Goal 125
WOE: WOE Atkins
Start Date: August 6, 2006
At first, I thought they were little insect bites, but had no idea how I would have gotten them. After reading this thread, I think it may be a rash. If so, I have had a rash twice. I have rashes right now. On the upper right arm, behind my left knee on the upper calf.

I have had this happen twice, but the last time I had it on my upper left arm.

It's clearing up.
Madeleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
Atkins is a de-toxing diet. Your body stores toxins in your fat and when you are burning fat, you can develop rashes. I had them under my breasts. I just put on some herbal cream and it kept it at a minimum, till it went away. That is one of the reasons you should be drinking your water when doing Atkins, it helps your body get rid of toxins easier.

This could be what is happening.

Bev
eshlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:23 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TeJae
I did. I got a terribly disfiguring rash around my eyes and mouth. I went to a big time dermotolgist quite a few times and they couldn't figure it.
TeJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It's Faith
Stats: 323/253.2/123
WOE: Basic LC/IF
Start Date: 5/5/12
Ironic that you ask! I have had some feminine problems :blush: for quite some time (a few months). Am fixing to go see a Gyn as treatments for a normal 'yeast infection' haven't been working. I've considered the possibility that all those toxins released from extreme LC and ketosis may be what's causing it. I would be very interested to know if anybody else here has had a similar problem.
It's Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mybelle
Start Date: every morning
Splenda?

Anytime I get a rash (red, itchy torso), I reduce or eliminate splenda and it goes away.
mybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
Start Date: 6-14-03
I had a worsening of my eczema rash a few months after I started atkins, but couldn't figure out what was going on for quite a while. My eczema usually gets much better in the summer, but that summer it stayed bad. As I was tweaking during one of my many stalls, I decided to try a few weeks without any dairy products and in just a few days the rashiness was gone by ~ 95%. I was amazed. Looking back, I had begun having cottage cheese daily as an easy no cook breakfast. No more of that for me. Another common food that causes allergy type issues is soy. Many of the "lc" products are made with soy. Hope you can figure something out that works.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jcapulet
The only time I had a bad rash from a "diet" change is when I did "Atkins" some 8 years ago, but I did it the wrong way. I ate only meat and fats, and had severe skin problems. Just be sure to eat enough veggies, in case that might be the problem. I hope your rash disappears soon!
jcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #17

Gallery: Mavis
I got rashes with any type of dairy. Now that I have removed ALL dairy from my diet I no longer get them.
Mavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: patches
I agree that atkins helps to regulate ones metabolism. If your body is producing rashes, then your body is probably detoxifying itself or else reacting to something.

In the past I developed a rash all over my body and found that detoxifying my body was the only thing that helped.

Today I use the fat flush mixture of cranberry juice and ground flaxseed to help cleanse and rid my body of toxins. I drink water with freshly squeezed lemon juice or lime juice and I take GLA, CLA, evening primrose oil, lecithin and watch what I eat.

If at anytime I feel sluggish or sick I stick to the allowable basic food groups, such as vegetables, meats, fish, etc. I season with herbs or fruits, simple salt and peper and boil, broil, steam and bake. Once I feel better I slowly add other items and watch to see whether it agrees with me or not. If anything disagrees with me I then temporarily discontinue using it. If something wreaks havoc on my system then of course I eliminate it altogether.

Watch your intake of foods and use of seasonings. I do hope that you feel better and your rash clears up.
patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygirl View Post
I absolutely came down with a prickly, itchy red rash when I started doing Atkins.

I was taking more vitamins at the time than I had taken oin the past (read: I never used to take vitamins) and my doctor thought the B vitamins and Niacin were the culprit.

I hated that rash, and I still don't know to this day if it was low-carbing that did it, or the vitamins. It went away in about six weeks. Good luck with yours! Aveeno baths and a good antihistimine helped me a lot.
grumpygirl, I'm curious - did you cut out/down the B vitamins and Niacin to make the rash go away?

I've been suffering from a rash for years (which I know is not due to lowcarbing) and I've been taking a Vitamin B suppliment for years because it helps me with concentration but now I'm wondering if that's what's been perpetuating my rash.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikan View Post
I think it keeps the rash amused.
Bwah hahahah! Too cute.
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JennieJ
Stats: 168/155/130
WOE: ATKINS/ Weight watchers
Start Date: 1/2/03 and again June 2011
THANK you for posting this

I've had a rash that developed on the sides of my breast, and I had no clue what was causing it. I started Atkins a week ago, and I've already dropped 6lb (yay me!). This is the only thing that has changed, so I guess I need to try to drink more water, and maybe put an anti fungal cream on it.
I'd rather have this rash and lose the weigh though, lol!
JennieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 189/184/135
Start Date: March 5, 2008
Sorry for bumping such an old topic, but thank you. I have a rash just like the ones described above (between my breasts) and I was just about to go to the doctor for it, even though it doesn't itch or anything. Definitely going to try the hydrogen peroxide and more water!
ElizabethMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: autotheism
Start Date: January 1997
Hi,

I have heard that you can store all kinds of things in your fat cells - hormones, remnants of medication and antibiotics, etc. It could be that when you get a whoosh of weight loss, a lot of random stuff gets dumped into your blood stream. It could be what causes the rash. If this is true, the more weight you lose at one time, the higher the concentration of "stuff" in your system.

I know someone who had been obese all of her life. She got the band around her stomach and lost a lot of weight in a short period of time. She said that she was on a roller coaster of emotions because of all of the hormones that had been stored in her fat cells. When she lost most of the weight, the roller coaster slowed down.

Hope that helps a little.
autotheism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #24

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
I've noticed a few pimples (unusual for me), but I attribute it to toxins being released.

This thread is reminding me to go find my detox herb teas.

DH has very bad psoriasis at times (bad enough that he wears a beard). The only thing that has ever helped him was Milk Thistle capsules. He drinks coffee and eats bad foods, which trigger it.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesscarolee
Stats: 230/217145
Start Date: Restarted March 2008
Yep. I got one about a month into induction. I would get a periodic flare up every now and then, but it was barely noticeable. Somewhat itchy, but the bumps were just here and there, and very small.

I can't say that I can attribute it to Splenda or vitamins, but it definitely happens to me every time I low-carb. Maybe it is a detox thing?
goddesscarolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyw87
Stats: 284/255/190
Start Date: restart April 2012
I also got a rash a few weeks into induction! I never attributed it to low carb, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out. I didn't change soap, laundryt stuff, or eat anything I hadn't eaten before. I also never left the house that day.

It began on my feet. They looked like I was wearing red socks up to my ankles and they were swollen. The next morning, it was on my thighs. Mostly the inner, warmer part but outer as well, just not as bad. The next place was my wrists, my inner, upper arms and around my waist. It itched horribly and was raised. After about 4 days, I went to the dr and got a steriod shot. The itching was better by that night and the rash was gone in 3-4 more days.

This could be from low carbing???
Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I got one couple of times on my lower tummy and the back of my leg, behind my knees. I hae it right now on my tummy
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I got one couple of times on my lower tummy and the back of my leg, behind my knees. I have it right now on my tummy.
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katrina_GQ
Stats: (266.3) 180/141.5/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (5/11/10) restart 9/15/13
I have developed a rash too: between my breasts and on one hand. This happened to me before in the past when I was following a low carb diet.
Katrina_GQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarHI
hormones?

I don't get a rash, per se, but I have noticed INTENSE itching. For the most part, it's my legs, but sometimes I'm just itchy all over. The last time anything like this happened I was on birth control pills (bad experience). Has anyone noticed hormonal itching it relation to low carbing?
sugarHI is offline   Reply With Quote