Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: H20girl
How Do I know I'm in Ketosis?

I'm on the third day of induction, and I do not really know if I'm in ketosis yet. Is there any way I can tell without buying strips?
H20girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Angebee
Stats: Size 18/12&10/6 5'3"
WOE: Body for Life
Start Date: LC 1/5/04...BFL 6/12/05
Metal taste in your mouth, REALLY stinky pee, no appetite. Sometimes you can be nauseaus. Losing weight.
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Typos, Typos, As Far As The Eye Can See...

Breath of a dead camel
Woman Typing Badly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
ketosis sounds great huh? All of the above--dilute the breath with lots of water or parley (or a good LC gum). It's not THAT bad--actually I love it and I'm waiting to get there soon
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mikasa
Stats: 160/148.8/135 5'6''
WOE: protein!!!!!!!
Start Date: September 2, 2005
uhoh!

ok im not experiencing the bad breath and other symptoms (i dont think)! but am definitely not hungry and not craving...what do we think? could i still be in ketosis?
mikasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:49 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Probably you are--I didn't have a problem with the urine--and just a small one with the breath. I also never had trouble with nausea or headaches--after I got there that is. I knew I was in ketosis when one day, I looked at my chicken and said to myself "Do I have to eat this?"
But, I am having problems getting kicked out of ketosis during PMS and for that reason, I ordered some sticks to see if anything changes during that time or it's just my imagination
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: H20girl
Thanks for all of your replies. Ketosis sounds really attractive! Do you think diet soda can stall me getting into ketosis??
H20girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: colleen44
Stats: 157/141/125
WOE: Atkins
Diet soda stalled me. Lots of people say the aspartamene stalls them (ie diet soda, sweet N low, etc). I think it stalled me only because I wasn't drinking enough water. When I cut the soda replaced it with water and it worked. I still have diet soda at dinner time. I would suggest going to Duane Reade or CVS and picking up some strips (they have them behind the pharmacy). I didnt have the other symptoms and when your not losing as much as you want at least you know you are in ketosis and keeping up the good work. Its an incentive for me to keep going. Once Im not in ketosis I tend to slack off and carb binge Lots of luck to you!
minigoal 2: 136 by Monday 7/24
minigoal 3: 133 by Friday 7/28[/COLOR]
colleen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:05 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jetski
Stats: 145/128/125
Start Date: May 2, 2005
Someone described it as a cheese aftertaste too.
Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: trans4mation2005
Stats: 361/180.6/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 2/25/2005
i stall with diet soda... try to eat food that isn't a substitute... like LC soda,ice cream,cheesecake... these are allowable.. but stall many... i use them as cheats...if after 2 weeks you are craving.. have a piece of cheesecake.. then get back to basics... unless the substitute cause you to cheat with real bad food.. then just eat basics
trans4mation2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
Is it possible you can be in ketosis by the end of the first day? This is my first day of LC but I have been counting calories since the beginning of the month. I have this really funky metallic taste in my mouth.

Just curious
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
I think your body will scavange your muscles and bowel for stores of glucose it has hanging around, after thats all gone you should be burning fats primarily. So from my knowledge it depends on how much sugar is spacled to your bum.
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
Is it possible you can be in ketosis by the end of the first day? This is my first day of LC but I have been counting calories since the beginning of the month. I have this really funky metallic taste in my mouth.

Just curious
yep that metalic taste is your tastebuds tasting the ketones in your saliva. As you progress on your atkins your body will get desensitized to them and you will not continue to taste them.

We can have one or all of the physical symptoms increased thirst, appetite suppression, change in the smell of our urine or breath, metalic taste in the mouth and we are in Dr Atkins ketosis.

the breath is actually just exhaling the waste ketone which shoiuld smell like very dilute fingernail polish remover as it is acetone.

the horrible stinky breath is from off gassing of volitile oils in your food like onions and garlic and the by product of metabolism of proteins in your diet as the nitrogen part isn't used in the glucose making part. You can slightly lower your protein intake or drink more water to flush it out in your urine assuming your didn't have any pre-existing kidney malfunctions before you started.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JulieAnna
Stats: 162/139/130
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: February 2010
Ketosis?

Is it possible to have a weird sweet taste in your mouth. Thats What I have and I am on day 3. I have tried this diet before and had the same thing. I only made it 5 days last time. But I am planning to do it for real this time.
JulieAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fembomb
Stats: Highest 210/198/118
WOE: Atkins + HHCG (Fishy Vegetarian)
Start Date: Atkins since 1998
i dont experience the bad breath like many seem to..but..i am a vegetarian who eats dairy and fish Only..maybe it has to do with what we eat..ketosis means you are throwing out waste..i liken it to a fast..when you fast..you detox and many experience changes in breath..i wouldnt give it too much thought..you can be happy it isnt stinky breath..and maybe its all the sugar coming out that you ate

Good luck with reaching your goals..You Can Do It!!!
fembomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fembomb View Post
i dont experience the bad breath like many seem to..but..i am a vegetarian who eats dairy and fish Only..maybe it has to do with what we eat..ketosis means you are throwing out waste..i liken it to a fast..when you fast..you detox and many experience changes in breath..i wouldnt give it too much thought..you can be happy it isnt stinky breath..and maybe its all the sugar coming out that you ate

Good luck with reaching your goals..You Can Do It!!!
actually ketones come in several different molecules and only one is a waste product. the other two are actually fuel for any body cell that contains mitochondria and are the perferred food of your heart muscles regardless of what type of diet you are on.

Some folk call it a sweet taste which changes to a metalic taste as the amount of ketones produced increases.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tenngal
another sign for me is uncontrollable underarm odor...........
Tenngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
another sign for me is uncontrollable underarm odor...........
that is from the bacteria on your skin feeding on the fats and proteins in your sweat there plus off gassing those volitole oils from your foods
Old 02-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
actually ketones come in several different molecules and only one is a waste product. the other two are actually fuel for any body cell that contains mitochondria and are the perferred food of your heart muscles regardless of what type of diet you are on.

Some folk call it a sweet taste which changes to a metalic taste as the amount of ketones produced increases.
Thanx for the info ..thats so interesting..
as always..you are an Atkins walking encyclopedia!!

so does this mean that ketones are not exactly waste?

i may be asking a question with an answer i wont be able to understand..
but now i am curious
Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

those body parts that have mitochondrias which is were aerobic energy production occurs and those ATP energy units we all learned about in jr high bio occur can fracture fatty acids to become the same molecule as the aerobic part of the glucose system Acetyl CoA.

The liver can't export ATP molucules for the rest of the body to use, but it can fracture fatty acids down to a small molecule called a ketone body that can be fractured and used in that aerobic ATP system as acetylCoA so they are not waste products by any means.

Should oxygen get low or ATP levels get high then the body parts can bundle up the excess acetylCoA with other byproducts of fatty acid fracturing and make ketones for export since they can't use as many as they can fracture. At that point some of the cell made ketones may be acetone which is the waste ketone and we urinate or exhale it.

the reason we want the liver to export it as a ketone and not leave it as AcetylCoA is because cells including liver cells can make cholesterol and new lipids from acetylCoA too.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

wow..thats a lot different than what i thought to begin with..
Thank You for answering that..

so what exactly causes the tremendous thirst and the obvious ability to drink far more water than usual?
what is the extra water the body is calling for used for?
the acetone?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

no actually it is the increased protein consumption. the SAD is 10% protein and atkins is 30% so we need to move a lot more nitrogen groups out then when we were high carbers. Dr Atkins used to have a study from a doc that 30% protein level caused a diuretic effect on a research page in his website.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

well thats even more interesting...
bc here is my situation..i can easily eat my weight in protein grams and sometimes more..i eat a lot of protein no matter how i am eating..
now this is my first time for doing Induction..and i am really trying to stick to the recommended ratios for Induction..and i am succeeding..
but.. i am so thirsty all day..and i wake up thirsty..i have increased my water to over a gallon a day now..and bc i lifted weights today..i had almost one and one half gallons cause i drink water constantly while lifting ..
here is the Weird thing..my protein intake is lower now ..than it Ever is..by 30 to 50 grams less a day..so what do you think that means with me?
at first i was so dehydrated that my eyes twitched for a few days..and my skin was very dehydrated..so i read up on it here and saw ppl had that problem and i just really pushed myself to get in a gallon of water..
now i am still thirsty like i explained..but i am not dehydrated..in fact..my face looks more hydrated right now..after 9 days on Induction..than it did when i began Induction..
so strange if the only reason provided is more protein..when my protein is significantly less than usual..
i know you might not have an answer for my situation..but it is so tempting to ask you..
cause if anyone knows the answer or can figure it out..its gonna be you
i dont have to know why..i will still stick with my Induction..it is out of pure curiousity that i ask..
Thanx So Much for taking the time to answer my questions..
and God only knows how many Atkins facts i have collected by reading your answers and advice to others ...while i was lurking..
i really appreciate you sharing your knowledge ..especially when it comes to things i consider fairly crucial to this WOE..and i know many ppl feel that way..
there is a lot that makes up science of Atkins..and really its all very interesting..
i wonder why we arent taught more about eating and losing weight and building muscle in school..certainly i have learned far more by being involved in Atkins..
Thanx Again..Enola~
Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

i might add..i am a big coffee drinker..i love it all..caffienated and decaf..but i always drink the fresh organic ground kind..does that affect thirst on Induction? i am actually drinking less coffee since beginning Induction..than i normally do..but still..maybe that has something to do with it..
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

don'tforget there is a lot of moisture in carb foods that isn't there in fats and proteins so you are missing that hydration too.

make sure you check your vits and minerals in the reports section of ****** cause you can be depleted in many of them with all the water drinking.

Does your thrist go away 20 min after you drink something? if not that is a spill over of hunger signals and you should eat something to make it go away.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

well i have the ****** down..i am Obsessive about it..i record daily..it is like brushing my teeth..i record even when i am a bad girl!! i have been using it religiously for so many years i forget what year i began with it..
i would not know how to live my life without it...in ****** i am getting everything ..but my fiber is lower than normal ..but it is over the 100 percent range bc i am eating only green leafy veggies and taking extra zero carb fiber..so its all good..it is just that i usually eat a lot more veggies and..
this makes Complete sense to me!! Gosh you are so smart..your mind is very good with science!! wish mine was...
i think you hit the nail on the head!! duh!! all those water filled veggies i eat..i cant eat all of them in Induction..my body is used to a certain amount of water From Veggies..and now i have to make up for it by actually Drinking the water!! Totally Awesome!! that Is It!! Brilliant!!
and to answer your question..yes..it does go away IF i am not in the middle of walking or a cardio activity or weight lifting..just normal activities..but it comes back eventually and when it does i am Dry mouth..
wow..so clear to me now..i dont know why i didnt think of it..i thought the reason behind it would be something complex concerning ketosis..
you are so smart about this type of thing...
and actually i do feel even more confident about my Induction phase..now that i know what is going on..i am really pleased that i decided to try the Induction this time..i want to do the program the way it was meant to be done..bc i have reaped untold benefits from working the program incorrectly..so i want to really learn it properly this time..
Thank You so much..you are really a great person to educate so many ppl..
it makes a big difference in ppls lives..Information is Power!!
enola~
Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HootyHaHa
Honestly , to me everybody has gnarly breath unless they're chewing gum.

I hate talking to people in an office environment if they've been drinking coffee and especially if they smoke. Nothing worse than coffee smelling ash trey breath. No gum can mask that either
HootyHaHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WClock
Stats: 195/180/150
Start Date: January 22, 2019
Fembomb, excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes; so just to be on the safe side, you might think about having your blood sugar checked.
WClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
I usually hit ketosis between 36 and 48 hours after starting the carb restriction. I can tell without the strips by 3 fairly reliable indicators:
1. appetite suppression with a massive reduction in carb cravings
2. energy level rises and I feel mentally clear with no brain fog
3. my bladder gets slightly irritate by the ketones and I have to urinate more frequently. It isn't as bad as having a urine tract infection, but I certainly have to urinate more often. My urine gets a certain smell too, it is hard to describe but it isn't bad. It is just different and I have come to associate that smell with being in ketosis.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
(T. E. Lawrence)
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower30
WOE: atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2010
what strips are you talking about?
wildflower30 is offline   Reply With Quote