Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSSword
Stats: 247.0/167.2/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/09
Sugar over dose and heart palpitations ???

Got a question for the Atkins Nutritionist:

I have been lc for over two years, mostly with carbs around 20-30 grams per day. Last year on 4th of July I went overboard and got into all kinds of sugary goodies. The next day I started having heart palpitations and they lasted 4-5 days.

Did the same thing in October with not nearly as much sugary sweets and had heart palpitations again, but not as severe.

Christmas came and the same thing happened.

My question:

Can a long term low carb diet cause these kind of symptoms ??

Never had heart palpitations before and don't have them any other time unless I get into the sugar laden foods.
restart 03-06-06 199.8 to 03-19-06 186.2

01/02/09 247lbs (makes me sick just looking at this number )
01-27-09 235.0 lbs
01-22-10 167.2 lbs back on track since 7-1-09
JSSword is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
I hurt when I eat Sugar. My body the next day or two is soooooo sore like someone kicked the dog poo outta me.

Its a reaction to Carbs, well bad ones anyway. Its our body telling us it's not good for us
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sunset
I don't get palpitations from sugar but I do get it from caffiene. I can't drink any caffeine anymore. Sugar does give me bad headaches.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Caffeine doesnt' bother me and neither does
Sugar Free Russell Stover Chocolates.

It's the regular sugar that does me in everytime I get too much
of it
Old 01-21-2005, 06:30 AM   #5

Gallery: Southern-Dahlin
WOE: NO processed foods.
JSSword

The type of food you eat also affects surges in blood sugah, which aggravate heart palpitations.
A protein diet or low carb regulates the highs and lows of blood sugah spikes and so when you all of the sudden re-introduce a large amount of sugah at once into your system it is a shock I suppose.

Your pancreous was like.............what the heck is goin on!

For my birthday this year i ate a low carb salad and then I had a pie called (Death By Chocolate).......this was after a year of no cheats. I didn't react very bad to it but i could live without it now and nevah miss it..................
Old 01-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Nutritionist

Hi JSS,
First just wanted to say that there is no such thing as a long term low carb 'diet', it's a low carb approach to eating that becomes your lifestyle. When your body gets used to getting fuel from protein, healthy fats, and carbs from fiber rich vegetables and whole grains, and then you 'shock' it with sugar, it is very possible that heart palpitations could result from blood sugar spikes and your body's reaction.
Atkins_Nutritionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pdianne
Stats: 300/ DONE - size 6, 150 and happy
Start Date: June 2003
One day the summer before last I went to the county fair for the day. There was very little good food available so I didn't get much protein in my body and then indulged in cotton candy and 3-4 bites of an elephant ear. Within an hour or so i felt like i was seriously drunk. It was terrible.

Never again.
pdianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atkins_Nutritionist
Hi JSS,
First just wanted to say that there is no such thing as a long term low carb 'diet', it's a low carb approach to eating that becomes your lifestyle. When your body gets used to getting fuel from protein, healthy fats, and carbs from fiber rich vegetables and whole grains, and then you 'shock' it with sugar, it is very possible that heart palpitations could result from blood sugar spikes and your body's reaction.

that's what I suspected what was happening, but my doctor didn't think that my eating habits had anything to do with it...

does this mean, that I now have to forever watch what I eat ???
Old 01-23-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
Resident Trans Fat Expert

Gallery: Matt
Stats: 370/200/170
WOE: Low GI / south beach type diet
Start Date: Low GI Started: 4-05
Quote:
Originally posted by JSSword
that's what I suspected what was happening, but my doctor didn't think that my eating habits had anything to do with it...

does this mean, that I now have to forever watch what I eat ???
yep.. as the AN stated, this is a way of life, not a diet or something you can go off of. If you dont think you can stick with it, then you should try something else.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #10
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
I tell ya with the reaction I get if i get Just a little amount of sugar I swear I am allergic to the stuff. I get sore all over, headaches, heart beating fast, moody. It's best we stay away from Sugar. It's evil!!!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbarber08
Stats: 319
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/10/2005
felling high

HI..i am back on the atkins way for eating..i was on it 3 years ago
and lost 80 lbs in 6 months but ater i fell off of the the way of eating i started have the hart palpeptaions and i get these high tired feelings that are very strong i somtimes feel high like i am on some kind of drug,and i still have them to this day, i just have learned to live with it,, my DR. thinks i am crazy he cant find anything wrong with me...BUT I know what i feel... if anyone can help ,or has had the same thing let me know ...Thanks
tbarber08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
yep.. as the AN stated, this is a way of life, not a diet or something you can go off of. If you dont think you can stick with it, then you should try something else.
If I hadn't been able to stick with it, I would have been gone a long time ago. I just wasn't ready for the extreme "side effects" that I have experienced and I thought there was something seriously wrong with my heart. When it happened the first time I thought I was going to die and it really scared me. It took me two more times of "sugaring up" to realize that the overdose of carbs was doing this to me and not just my heart doing this just because there was a problem with it.

Now I am being belittled by my friend when I say that too much sugar is causing my heart palpitations and I certainly don't need a lecture on how this low-carb is a way of life and not a diet. I probably didn't use the correct term of "long term low carb way of life" like I should have, but there is certainly no need of getting hostile in defending this, because you are "preaching to the choir" so to speak...

I feel that I do get the point of living a life with low carb and I certainly advocate it to people who ask my opinion.

But... I wasn't ready for the side effects, if I choose to go off and eat or drink something more carby than what I have been used to.

That's really all I wanted to know, if it was possible for such side effects to occur and if others had experienced the same things.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #13

Gallery: Denise85
Stats: 261/121 size 6; 5'5"
WOE: Normalized eating
I have the same thing as you and I have been off Atkins for over a year. I switched to South Beach but then went back to Weight Watchers. As soon as I started the points system my heart would race. Anything that is not considered lc gives me a racing heart now. I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant and now when I have something sugary or starchy I get heart palps that last for a few hours. I was put on a heart monitor due to the severity. I had to keep a log and I noticed everytime I had something non lc I would get them. I guess my body is trying to tell me something so I'm trying to eat lower carb (low gi fruits, veggies and whole grains). I see my cardiologist in a few weeks and I'm going to talk to him about it.
Take life one day at a time.

***Got married March 4, 2014!!!!!!!***
Denise85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hi Denise,
I am sorry to hear about your problems,especially when you are pregnant.
Yes, please ask your cardio if your eating habits had anything to do with it. It never occurred to me last year when I was seeing the cardiologist to even ask him, because I hadn't put the two together yet.

The only time I now get heart palpitations is when I have too many carbs in one meal, so I avoid it as much as possible.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IMImproving
Start Date: August 22, 2003
I had palpitations every day for years and Drs. couldn't find anything wrong with me. The palpitations stopped shortly after (within a week) of quitting Aspertame (Diet Coke). Know at least two other people for whom this has worked.

Good luck
DJ
IMImproving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Zombie Fairy Princess

Gallery: Marlee
Stats: -53
Same thing happens to me. Only it seems to be mostly sugar or flour type carbs. I'm beginning to think it's some kind of food allergy. Also when I eat bread or say pizza it feels like I can't breath as easy. A real good reason to avoid this stuff If only I were smart enough to keep away from it. :blush:
Marlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #17

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
I understand the palpitations.

My trainer gave me the ok to do a Free day as i have reached my goal bf. The last two weeks that I have eaten WAY more carbs, than i am used to eating(per the FREE DAY way) I have gotten heart palpitations that have lasted all day. I thought it was so how connected.

I can stick to WOE, have done so for 3 years now. I may have to switch out my free day for more controlled carb increases during the week if my body is going to act like this.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

thanks for all the replies, at least now I know what's causing it and I am not too concerned with it anymore
I stay away from too many carbs ....
Old 05-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prairie woman
sugar and heart effects

Hi everyone -- if you feel drunk when you eat sugary things, you probably have an overgrowth of candida yeast in your gut. I heard of one guy who blew over the limit on a breathalyzer test just because he had this problem!!

You guys are in the USA, right? So you have to pay to see the doctor. If I were you, I would go to a Naturopathic Doctor, if you have to pay anyway. They have helped me a lot!

One put me on the anti candida diet since March - no sugar, dairy, wheat, not much salt - lots of veggies, brown rice, some meats , legumes, and now I have added lots of fruits.

I had the same experience as lots of you: I ate sugar a month or so ago and got heart palpitations back, fuzzy thinking, really tired. For a few days.

Just today, I went and ate maybe 7 smarties and a chunk of an Aero bar. Now I am so tired, I had to just lie on the couch for a few hours.

I am off work these past 10 weeks on sick leave with hyperthyroid issues, so I am tired anyway and have other symptoms, but this is not even normal by those standards. I realised it's the sugar!!!

Best wishes. Prairie Woman.
prairie woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Creolequeen
Stats: 113
WOE: Just low carbs
I can sympathize

I have had the same experience as you recently. I am 40 years old and have been eating low carb for many years. I do, however indulge in the occassional chocolate dessert or couple pieces of candy. Recently, I really fell off the wagon and one night ate a large amount of chocolate covered raisins. After that, I had terrible heart palpitations for about 7 hours. Even days after I ate the candy, I still had heart palpitations off and on. The palpitations seemed to go away, but I had an EKG just to see if there was a problem. The EKG was normal. Today I ate two large cookies which were very sweet and again, I had heart palpitations. So, I think that this can definitely happen to some people and that I and many others are just extremely sensitive to certain things. I love sugar, but it doesn't love me so usually I eat sugar free pudding for dessert or graham crackers which are okay for my system. Get checked out if you think you need to though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSword View Post
If I hadn't been able to stick with it, I would have been gone a long time ago. I just wasn't ready for the extreme "side effects" that I have experienced and I thought there was something seriously wrong with my heart. When it happened the first time I thought I was going to die and it really scared me. It took me two more times of "sugaring up" to realize that the overdose of carbs was doing this to me and not just my heart doing this just because there was a problem with it.

Now I am being belittled by my friend when I say that too much sugar is causing my heart palpitations and I certainly don't need a lecture on how this low-carb is a way of life and not a diet. I probably didn't use the correct term of "long term low carb way of life" like I should have, but there is certainly no need of getting hostile in defending this, because you are "preaching to the choir" so to speak...

I feel that I do get the point of living a life with low carb and I certainly advocate it to people who ask my opinion.

But... I wasn't ready for the side effects, if I choose to go off and eat or drink something more carby than what I have been used to.

That's really all I wanted to know, if it was possible for such side effects to occur and if others had experienced the same things.
Creolequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tamm
It could also be that your system is very alkaline, since sugar is acidic. But that would mean you weren't eating a lot of meat and cheese.
tamm is offline   Reply With Quote