Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meerkat
Stats: 123/123/100
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 18th June 2006
Sugar alcohol danger?

Last Friday I had 1 advantage bar (1/2 s'mores, 1/2 mocha crunch). I tested positive for ketones (moderate-heavy) that evening. However I noticed a stiffening sensation in my neck when I started eating them. On Saturday, I had no choice but to substitute lunch with the remaining half mocha crunch bar. I had the same stiff feeling, and that evening, my ketostix was negative.

It's stayed negative or trace until this morning. I ate two endulge peanut butter cups in the afternoon because I have many packs which are expiring on the 16th nov. This time I started feeling light-headed and woozy. And even now I am slightly dizzy. The feeling is scary. Can someone explain why?

Do I have to restart induction all over again? And do I have to throw all the atkins bars and candies away?
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2004, 03:04 AM   #2
Resident Trans Fat Expert

Gallery: Matt
Stats: 370/200/170
WOE: Low GI / south beach type diet
Start Date: Low GI Started: 4-05
because you cant really subtract the sugar alcohols. Every carb in that bar (except fiber) is still absorbed by your body, thats why you arent in ketosis anymore. Supposedly the carbs are just absorbed so slowly that they shouldnt effect your insulin levels, but they do.. espcially those bars with maltitol. You arent going to lose any weight eating those im sorry to say. Eat clean, and if you can.. please read the atkins books. Good luck!

Last edited by Matt; 11-08-2004 at 03:05 AM..
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
MandyDee

Gallery: MandyDee
So sorry you experienced that meerkat..but a lesson well learned! Matt is right..those sorts of lc porducts are what a great number of us refer to as 'frankenfoods'. Eat REAL food..it's much better for you!

Good luck!!! :hug

Mandy
Old 11-08-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Uhm I am feeling the same way after eating 3 atkins banana nut muffins this morning. Could it be possible that I am experiencing a spike in blood sugar levels?

Can anyone tell me what symptoms are experienced during a blood sugar level spike? I am feeling light headed, slightly dizzy. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #5
MandyDee

Gallery: MandyDee
How long have you been low carbing? The products you keep mentioning ARE NOT for induction if you have just started..I don't eat these frankenfoods so I'm not able to tell you what a spike feels like..maybe someone else will be able to answer you on that...you are supposed to be avoiding insulin spikes..so stop eating lc products!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:57 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I have been on the atkins for 8 weeks now. I moved onto OWL after the first two weeks since I was 10lbs away from GW.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:45 AM   #7
Nutritionist

Meerkat,
Whole foods are central to meal planning on the Atkins Nutritional Approach. Products are for occasional use: for an occasional snack or meal replacement, or an occasional treat. Even on the occasions that you do include products, you should be eating them in moderation. Three muffins is not moderation. One muffin was formulated to provide an amount of sugar alcohols that will maintain the texture and taste of the muffin without compromising quality and without causing blood sugar spikes or GI effects, but it is likely that eating multiple serving will effect you. And even if your products are getting close to the expiration date, you still only want to include them on occasions.

Congrats on your progress so far and good luck reaching your goal weight. Keep in mind that maintenance is just as hard, if not harder, than the weight loss phases, especially if you have not learned the meal planning that will allow you to eat so that you will be keeping the weight off. Low carb meal planning is not about low carb products. It is about choosing whole foods wisely and in reasonable portions that are appropriate for your individual energy needs.
Atkins_Nutritionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: farley109
Stats: 174/165/145 5'5 39 yrs
WOE: all of the above...mainly 20 carbs or less per day
Start Date: October 4, 2004 And Again 1/8/06 and again 9/10/07
I am 36 days into my low carb life style and have some confusion when in comes to net carbs. Do you really count net carbs or are most of you counting regular carbs. I am a sweetsaholic and have really taken a big step in cutting out my sugar and flour. I am from a country family that loves to cook and eat. When I feel I have to have something sweet, I will have a sugar free Russell Stover low carb treat. I try to only eat half and save the other half for the next day. Sometimes I will eat two tsps of cream cheese mixed with two tsps of cool whip and a pckg of splenda. What do you think. On average, I have lost between 14 and 17 lbs thus far. Exercing 3 to 4 days a week. Walking between 2 and 4 miles each time.

Mommy to....TyAnna 15....Katy....12...Trapper & Gunner...6 TWINS!!!!

Live life to the fullest....and keep em guessing!!!

REACHED GOAL....Fell off the wagon...gained 15lbs back!!! GRRRRRR
farley109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:11 AM   #9
Resident Trans Fat Expert

Gallery: Matt
Stats: 370/200/170
WOE: Low GI / south beach type diet
Start Date: Low GI Started: 4-05
Quote:
Originally posted by farley109
I am 36 days into my low carb life style and have some confusion when in comes to net carbs. Do you really count net carbs or are most of you counting regular carbs. I am a sweetsaholic and have really taken a big step in cutting out my sugar and flour. I am from a country family that loves to cook and eat. When I feel I have to have something sweet, I will have a sugar free Russell Stover low carb treat. I try to only eat half and save the other half for the next day. Sometimes I will eat two tsps of cream cheese mixed with two tsps of cool whip and a pckg of splenda. What do you think. On average, I have lost between 14 and 17 lbs thus far. Exercing 3 to 4 days a week. Walking between 2 and 4 miles each time.
Personally i count all carbs except fiber. When you eat something sugar alcohol, your body STILL absorbs those carbs.. just more slowly than it would regular sugar. If you can stick to your half servings and keep losing weight, then i see no reason to not eat it. It sounds like you are doing good so far. Good luck!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:39 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks guys, I'll bekeeping off the atkins foods for a long time to come.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:52 AM   #11
Nutritionist

Meerkat,
There's no reason you have to avoid Atkins products or any other brand of carbohydrate controlled products, they are available to help you stick to your meal planning. The trick is to understand how to include these products into meal planning. In order to help you understand this, the Department of Education and Research has developed a presentation to clarify the the ingredients used in carbohydrate controlled products, how to read nutrition labels, and also about the Net Atkins Count. You can access this presentation at
http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/11/22-453359.html
Atkins_Nutritionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dtmd
WOE: Atkins
Okay - now I am COMPLETELY confused. Has the diet plan changed in the last few years? I thought that you subtracted the fiber AND the sugar alcohols for net carbs.

I just started the induction on Monday, I had half a cup of Nancy's Kefir this morning. Did I blow it? 38 Carbs, 1 Fiber, 36 Sugar? That will be the only thing I've eaten today with any carbs.
dtmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/164/140
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmd View Post
Okay - now I am COMPLETELY confused. Has the diet plan changed in the last few years? I thought that you subtracted the fiber AND the sugar alcohols for net carbs.

I just started the induction on Monday, I had half a cup of Nancy's Kefir this morning. Did I blow it? 38 Carbs, 1 Fiber, 36 Sugar? That will be the only thing I've eaten today with any carbs.
I think this is more personal than anything. Some people subtract and some people don't. I subtract both fiber and sugar alcohol. However, I do try to limit sugar alcohols. I don't eat bars and such, I try to mostly focus on real foods. However I do use sugar alcohols, I use sugar alcohols as condiments - like my pancake syrup and imitation honey. In that manner I'm not consuming a whole lot.

I would not eat that Kefir during Induction. That is way too many carbs. Induction is 20 Net Carbs. I won't say you've blown it. Just make sure you have all the information you need so you can do this to ensure success. I'd really follow one of the Atkins books as closely as possible. You can tweak things to your liking later on when you figure out what works and does not work for you.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 08-11-2010 at 02:07 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmd View Post

The sugar alcohol thing is controversial. Some people believe it's okay to subtract them, some people disagree. Some say that certain people can subtract them and others can't, that some people's bodies will treat the carbs in them like any other carbs. Basically it's a case of try it and see. If you can use them and still lose and you aren't eating enough of them to give you the gastric distress they cause, then by all means use them if you want to.

If that Kefir you had actually had 36 grams sugar and not sugar alcohols then it's not something you can have on Induction or probably any stage of the Atkins diet! That's a lot of sugar at once when you're meant to be on 20g of carbs a day, 12-15 from veggies (depending on what version of the plan you are on.)

Do you have the book? If not get it, if yes, then reread it, because if you thought that Kefir was okay to have I'm afraid you've missed or misunderstood something pretty fundamental in it.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dtmd
Well DANGIT!!! I guess I start again. I've been using Xylitol also in my tea. (I was wondering why I was sick!! Thought it was this diet!)....

I read the book 6 years ago... Guess I better get it back out! GRRRRRR
dtmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: falconbrother
No offense to Atkins INC. or any other company that makes the "low carb" products, but they are crap and will ruin your low carb diet. Don't waste your hard earned cash on that junk. Stay with food that spoils. Fresh veggies and meat.
falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Sugar alcohols are a tough question....

I tend to avoid some of them because I am diabetic and quite sensitive to them. Other people are OK...I think, and this is just my opinion, that everyone needs to try them (if they want, they shouldn't be 'forced' lol) and see how their bodies react! Everyone will have a different sensitivity to them.

Eyrithritol is supposed to be the only totally non-GI sugar alcohol. I have no problems with it...it is recommended for diabetics (if you want to see how something effects blood sugar, see what it does to a diabetic...we are good 'guinea pigs' for blood sugar!)

Xylitol, as far as I can tell, is somewhere in between.

I try to stay far away from Maltitol...it seems to spike me.

Anyhow, I am actually looking forward to getting some Atkins bars. I am going to be traveling on a transatlantic flight next month...since you can't bring much food past airport security anymore, I have been worried about the food on the plane. With an Atkins bar, I can have a back up plan if nothing is edible, an still stick more or less to plan!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
My personal experience with low carb products designed to substitute for high carb treats is that I never break the habit or thinking that created some of my weight issues.

So, for that reason alone, I am going to avoid low carb products as much as I can.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: can't weight
Stats: 236.6/172.2/135-150
WOE: Atkins NANY -extended induction
Start Date: 29/04/10
Sugar Alcohols make me feel sick too. They give me a headache.

They do not stall me at all though. I still have 1 or 2 squares of sf chocolate on occassion- even though I know I will get a headache. The chocolate is worth the pain!!
can't weight is offline   Reply With Quote