Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: robertw4771
Induction Day 1 Week 1

I am starting Atkins for the first time in many years. For me the last time I did it was effective and ketosis started fairly quickly. Back in those days it was harder to seek out Atkins products. now much easier as there are a number of items in my store and amazon carries many as well.

This time around I will do one thing different. Back when I did Atkins I really did not do much cardio or exercise. This time around I will be doing running and weight training for some upcoming races. I expect greater over results based on this. For me the lighter I am, the better I run. The extra weight for me is slowing me down.

I have done this sort of training before. For me I get the best results when exercise and eating are in balance. Anyway one thing I notice when I read some of the posts are people losing 1-1.5 lbs per week (ongoing) and being disappointed about that. Think about the following:most people do not gain 1-2 lbs per week (typically), so why should we lose extreme amounts of weight per week? These days not gaining is losing. Even the plateau is not as bad as thought since you are not gaining weight. Also if a given person gains 2-3 lbs per year over a 10 year period they may have gained 30 or more lbs. That is why most people could lose a few. Hopefully I can remain consistent and by the new year when everyone is making resolutions I will be already lighter and on my way. My initial goal is 20 lbs. My longer term goal is about 30-36. And the other thing I do like about Atkins is the induction phase usually is a good motivator as the scale moves more than just cutting calories.
robertw4771 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/197/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002)
Start Date: August 27th 2013
hear hear. IMO its a way of life so you gotta have a mindset that its going to be long term. Welcome and best wishes on your WOE.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I will stick with Atkins, although there may be a few times I will have to make some changes. However I wont be turning that switch on and off. For example I run marathons. I do need carbs for energy going into those races and some sugar while running every few miles for energy. The shorter races are not a problem though.

ROb
Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TriLover
Stats: 193/193/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/8/2014
Hi Robert! I'm starting Induction tomorrow as well. And there have actually been tons of recent studies (Ben Greenfield is one of them) that finally showcased that low carb diets can actually sustain marathon and triathlon training. I have my first triathlon in May of next year; Ben has a book out with some low glycemic carbs added to a usual low carb routine. I'm going to do a full strict Atkins induction until January 1st and then will start incorporating into Ben's program as my training picks up. I'm going to follow along with you to see how you do!
TriLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriLover View Post
Hi Robert! I'm starting Induction tomorrow as well. And there have actually been tons of recent studies (Ben Greenfield is one of them) that finally showcased that low carb diets can actually sustain marathon and triathlon training. I have my first triathlon in May of next year; Ben has a book out with some low glycemic carbs added to a usual low carb routine. I'm going to do a full strict Atkins induction until January 1st and then will start incorporating into Ben's program as my training picks up. I'm going to follow along with you to see how you do!
I am running a Half Marathon this week. I will try and stock to the low carb for the entire weekend and race. I am not running my best (due to excess weight) and not enough training. However over the next few months I hope things come together. It will help me greatly if I am losing a few lbs per week. For full marathons I will not be able to maintain low carb. However I will be selective with carbs. I think it is too risky to attempt 26.2 without proper energy. Your body has enough glycogen to go about 2 hours max. It si possible that my results losing will be alot greater with the running. I will post updates.

Rob
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Also I have run a number of fulls. You need sugar every few miles for energy and you do need to go in with some carbs because after about 2 hours you will be out of glycogen. The sugar helps with brain fog as well. Then a day later you can be right back on Atkins without any problems. Remember you will blast a few thousand calories in a full marathon.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TriLover
Stats: 193/193/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/8/2014
Hi Robert!!

Yes, Ben Greenfield says that even half Ironmans definitely need more carbs than a low carb diet can provide. My tri that I'm doing is only a sprint (only a sprint... I have a feeling I'm going to be choking on that *only* a few miles into the tri...lol). But for training, I'm definitely doing the low carb... Race day I'll likely be replenishing with any carbs I can get my hands on.... Good luck on your half marathon coming up! Let me know how you do!
TriLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I just wanted to post that I did lose a few lbs in week one, however I made a decision to have carbs in time for my race this past Sunday which was a half marathon. Frankly speaking as somebody who has run more than 15 full marathons and more than 50 or so halfs (maybe more) I think it is too risky to be on induction while in these races. I did listen to the Run Disney nutritionist who mentioned about carbs per distance running. Keep in mind that even in a half marathon you might burn all body glucose stores in 2 hours approx. So if I am running a 4-4:40 full marathon, going in with minimal carbs is a big problem and risk. I picked up with induction again now and will stop in time for another half marathon this Sunday. Also I am way off my peak form but this week was better race than last in the rain. I ended up running 2:20. I was on pace for 2:15. Strong winds in filal miles affected me somewhat This weekend Philly Half which is a tougher course due to hills. I have run that course 4 times, 2 full marathons and 1 half

Last edited by robertw4771; 11-18-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcmike
Stats: 300/225/200
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2, 2014
I would think that the running would burn off any/all carbs that you eat the night before. You might just be popping in and out of ketosis as you do it. Congratulations on the loss!
dcmike is offline   Reply With Quote