Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JonathanK
Too much protein?

I feel like I had too much whey/meat protein yesterday. I'm not use to meeting my protein quota so I'm not really sure what that feels like. Can anyone tell me what it feels like to get an idea of I started glucosis with the excess protein please? This is greatly appreciated.
JonathanK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
How much protein did you eat? There are different schools of thought on how much protein someone should eat, but atkins induction is generally low carb, high fat, and moderate protein.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
How much protein did you eat? There are different schools of thought on how much protein someone should eat, but atkins induction is generally low carb, high fat, and moderate protein.
I was at my all time high of 180-230g protein (already taking into account bioavailability) and I weigh 155lb 9% body fat.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 8/18/14
Your protein goal is going to depend on your gender and if you are trying to body build or what your individual goals are. If you eat too much, it will be converted to glucose and potentially stored as fat. But so will anything if over eaten. I'm not 100 percent sure of your question, but a high day in calories or fat or protein will likely have not much of an impact in how you feel past that day. Overeating on any given day can cause people to feel sluggish or tired or sick to their stomach.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post

I think more so on that day I was concerned about going over my protein because im never usually on my protein mark. I didn't feel full or gross though. I think the whey was also making me pretty foggy and over concerned.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
Start Date: 3 March 2013
That is quite alot of protein - most advise 1.1-1.5g for every kg of lean muscle mass. Are you trying to bulk up or were just hungry? Maybe the cuts you were choosing were too lean and your body was craving fats? Try adding some organic grass-fed butter, unrefined coconut oil or olive oil to whatever you are making and see if that reduces your protein cravings?

Personally, I try to remain below 85g of protein as I know, above that and I start converting to glucose.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Considering the fact that whey is an insulin causer and I do have a 'sugar issue', it was probably just me getting my fix in a different whey (way-see what I did there )Anyways, I've lowered my protein down to 170g p/day as this is my target body weight. I will see where that gets me

Thank you for the comments!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Russell1974
Stats: 5'8" - 361/257.8/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 5/1/2009
I eat about 150 grams of protein most days, but I think people worry a bit too much about excess protein. Most of us start to feel nauseated at 40 % protein,and naturally limit ourselves

While it may be high, I tend to up my protein in place of carbs, so on higher days of protein, I eat less carb, with fat staying near 65%., and my protein/carb being 30/5, or 25/10. I think any protein converted to glucose, is offset by the 5 % drop in carbs.

I have never eaten high protein, and failed to lose weight, as long as carbs remain low. Protein can be converted, but only in small amounts. Much more likely that unused protein, is passed in the urine.

If in doubt, check the scale.. If you gain weight every time you eat 200 grams of protein, or it causes cravings, then it is pushing BG too high, and is a problem. If not, then don't worry about it.

That is the best thing about low carb.. you can test everything out, and make changes based on the results. You are your own expert on what works for you.

weight on 10/5 - 270

current weight: 257.8
Russell1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Russell! Actually, I made a connection. I only get dreams/nightmares upon having too many carbs. This also happens when I cross the 150g protein threshold or have 40g+ protein before bed. I guess that goes to tell me it's too much!

Also, I don't check the scale as I'm not in this for weight loss. I have far too little to lose. I do this for the health benefits and clarity of thought! I think I might deliberately go high protein in place of carbs completely. Carbs cause cravings for me. Period.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Russell1974
Stats: 5'8" - 361/257.8/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 5/1/2009
I've switched to Atkins '72, and while it allows 2 cups of greens, I am just doing, meat, eggs, mayo/butter/oil, and cheese.

I find high fat, and very low carb work the best for me, and protein varies as much as 176 g yesterday, to 117 for me today. I seesaw fat and protein. Some days I just eat more protein, and others I cut down to less meat, and add oil, or mayo.

Today I am at 181 g fat, and 117 g protein. Yesterday was 148 g fat, and 176 g protein. Both days I was 4-5 g of carbs.

Even if you don't weigh in, you will know if you are gaining. I feel " hollow " when i am in ketosis, like I am shrinking. Plus, when I gain, I feel bloated, and my clothes fit tighter. If this isn't happening, then the protein isn't a problem. I think worrying about protein detracts from the basis of the diet. Lower carb, higher fat equals better weight loss.

I would recommend upping fat, if you decide to cut protein to 150 g. Can't eat too much fat.
Russell1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

That's awesome to hear that you found what works for you! I like the idea of varying protein and I think I will raise protein on training days instead of carb refeeds.

Really though, my only reason for protein concern is because it turns on carb cravings and has the same insulogenic effect SD carbs on my body. I think anything over 110 gives me that effect.