Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: P.Alexander
Stats: 250/250/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2014
To Weigh or Not to Weigh?

First, I should introduce myself:

Hi, I'm P. Alexander. This is my third time doing Atkins. I feel incredibly foolish for not just sticking to it in the past as it's the only thing that's ever really worked for me. But I'm back because I watched both Fathead and a few talks by Gary Taubes and I realize that science is (slowly) starting to get behind this -- which is great.

One dilemma I have is about whether or not I should weigh myself regularly. The very first time I did Atkins, I was 14 and I was doing Atkins '72, because my mom had her old copy on the bookshelf. This was back in the days before "net carbs" which meant that 6 carbs a day really meant 6 carbs a day. And it basically meant that I was eating almost entirely fat with maybe one or two salads.

I do like the idea of net carbs, but I wonder if I would lose more if I switched to the super restrictive version that worked so well for me as a teen.

Regarding weighing, in the past, I got way too hung up on a number on the scale, and I think I'd rather measure than weigh. But do people here find that not tracking can lead to "slipping"?

Anyway -- I'm excited to be back on the wagon, but I would like a little feedback, both about net carbs/'72 and daily weighing.
P.Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/212/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Personal preference. I weigh daily as soon as i wake up and gone to the bathroom.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay9 View Post
Personal preference. I weigh daily as soon as i wake up and gone to the bathroom.
I can see that you've lost an absolutely incredible amount of weight, so congratulations. Did you find that you always were at a loss or even while doin this diet, or did your weight go up ever?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
The scale thing is such a personal choice!! It doesn't matter to your woe if you do it daily or weekly. I'm completely addicted to my scale and MUST weigh every single day. If you can mentally handle the daily fluctuations then go for it, otherwise I believe the weekly weigh in will get the most votes. I find weighing daily keeps me on track but that's just me and don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon. It's a learning process and hopefully you will keep that with you for the long term this time. Good luck.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
I quit weighing a couple of months ago and I am much happier...
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
The scale thing is such a personal choice!! It doesn't matter to your woe if you do it daily or weekly. I'm completely addicted to my scale and MUST weigh every single day. If you can mentally handle the daily fluctuations then go for it, otherwise I believe the weekly weigh in will get the most votes. I find weighing daily keeps me on track but that's just me and don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon. It's a learning process and hopefully you will keep that with you for the long term this time. Good luck.
That's really true, and thank you for the advice.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by where's_kyla? View Post
I quit weighing a couple of months ago and I am much happier...
I feel torn because I know I feel better when I don't weigh regularly, but I also it often makes me more likely to cheat. That said, if I track my food religiously there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Sometimes I weigh every day, and sometimes I don't. I think you should see how if affects your moods and decide from there. I know that the way my body works is that I really only lose about one week out of each month, and the rest of the time my weight is just bouncing around, so rather than get frustrated I just don't weigh every day any more.

Like Bonny-Jean, I also follow Atkins 72 very strictly. I've found it absolutely works best for me and I really don't believe in net carbs. I count the whole carb.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GratefulParrot
Stats: Old playing weight of 245
WOE: induction
Start Date: 9/12/11
I never weigh. I'm more of a mirror/clothes person. If i'm looking better in a mirror, and my clothes are looser, then I know I'm going in the right direction.
GratefulParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
glad you have decided to come back home so to speak..... I hope you can find a plan that suits you for a lifetime

If weighing daily keeps you on track do it, if using a food tracker keeps you on plan do that too. Find what keeps you on track, if you cheat you only cheat yourself. Do what works for you and what is easiest for you.

I weigh daily sometimes several times a day

Best wishes!
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelaneyLC
Stats: 188/172/148
Start Date: May 25, 2014
I weigh once a week. If I am avoiding the scale then I am probably gaining weight.
DelaneyLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
Start Date: June 22 2014
I keep saying I'm only going to weigh in once per week but the suspense gets to me and I pull it our every couple of days lol
Neener207 is offline   Reply With Quote