Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steelerfan2010
Portion Sizes - does this look right?

Hi all,
I am returning to Atkins after being away for a long while and wanted to run this by a few people who know better. What I am concerned about is portion control while on induction. A sample menu:

breakfast:

4 eggs - 2 carbs
1 sprinkle cheddar cheese - 0 carbs
1 can tuna - 0 carbs
2 pieces sausage - 2 carbs
(4 carbs)

Lunch: (salad bar at work)

half head iceburg lettuce - 5 carbs
cucumber (1 cup) - 2 carbs
Ranch dressing - 3 carbs
2 hard boiled eggs - 1 carb (if the salad bar has it)
(11 carbs)

Dinner

Cod & Shrimp cooked in either olive oil or butter - one large piece of cod and about a fist sized portion of shrimp
small salad - 1 cup iceburg lettuce & dressing (not sure yet)
celery
(probably around 5 carbs)

snacks
sugar free jello cups, cheddar cheese chunks or hard boiled eggs

Does that look about right?

Thanks,
Rob
steelerfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Hi Rob:
Yeah, it looks pretty good Rob. What version of Atkins are you following?? Everything you eat you should know the carb count. If it says 1 carb per tbsp, then change the serving amount on the "nutritional chart" and see how many carbs in like 5 tbsp's or something like that.

Example: let's say a dressing or whatever says 0 carb per tbsp but you find that 4 tbsp's are 3.6 carbs. They can put 0 carb on a label as long as it's under 0. It could be .9 which will add up as who can really only put 1 tbsp of anything on their salad or whatever.

Your menu looks good. I'm on Atkin's '72 Induction and try to keep my carbs under 10 per day. Just an FYI the s/f jello cups are 1 carb each. Try to make your own and then it's 0 for the same amount. Watch the sausage cause as with bacon, it's hard to find without fillers and hidden sugars.
Large eggs are actually about 1 carb per. All cheese has some carbs, although a "sprinkle" probably doesn't. So in the long run, your menu looks good.
I personally don't eat veggies. I don't like them anyway but when I was eating a little lettuce every lunch with only 2 tbsp of Ranch, my losses would really slow down so I had no problem giving that up.

I have a simple palate and eat eggs at lunch and steak, ribs or chicken for supper. I drink water, coffee or D. Coke and that's it for me each day.
All the best on your journey Rob!

Try the Atkins '72 ... "Do you follow it" thread. Tons of information, success stories and knowledge there.

Last edited by Bonny-Jean; 06-30-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steelerfan2010
I am following the directions from the Atkins webpage. Printed out the PDF and am sticking to the allowed foods.

Years ago I had done atkins and lost over 70 pounds. Then gave up and and now I am worse than before (need to lose about 100 now).

Thanks for the info,
Rob
steelerfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote