Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spc.ramirez
Stalled on atkins

OK, heres the scoop. I have been on atkins for 3 1/2 months now. I weighed 277, and now down to 230. I am trying my best to go lower, and nothing seems to be working. I have even been hitting the gym everyday, and sometimes twice a day. My means consist of:

Breakfast: 4 eggs and sausage
lunch: Tune, mayo, and relish.
Dinner: Chicken, a lot of cheese, and mustard.

Now, I do drink diet soda, and don't know if that would be my problem. I also eat carls jr lettuce wraps a couple times a week. I know that its all processed food, but would like to know anyones thoughts. I know that i have lost a lot of weight, but i am on my 3rd week of being stalled. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Troy
Spc.ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
What version of Atkins are you doing?
How many carbs are you taking in in a day?
Sometimes working out tones the body but doesn't necessarily equate to losses on the scale. Water is retained for muscle repair.
Atkins '72 version only allows us UP to 4 oz of block cheese per day and would never allow wraps of any kind.
Is there maybe a lot of fillers or sugar in the sausages??
How much water do you drink?
Any coffee? If so, what's in it??
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Atkins stall

Well, I consume under 30carbs a day. On other days, I would eat a double cheese burger lettuce wrap. Are you saying thats bad? If so, I will cut them out. Even though, I haven't had one this week. I have heard that it takes a bit longer to lose weight when you are near your goal weight. I don't drink coffee, and I do drink water through out the day. I go all out with cheese, and put it on everything. I have also heard that I should cut out the cheese, too.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You've lost 47 pounds in three and a half months. That's good! Congratulations! The thing to remember is that it's not realistic to expect to lose a consistent amount week in, week out. The body is complex, and it's not a simple matter of fat lost, pound lost.

Often, when you're losing weight, the fat leaves your fat cells and water is used as a placeholder. It's a survival mechanism, used by the body in times of famine or other hard times, because it makes it easier to refill the fat cells more quickly.

Because the fat takes up more space that the water, you lose inches, and your body may feel different (you can google "jiggly fat" if you like. It feels weird, but it's a good thing!) But the water still has weight, thus no scale loss.

Once the body is convinced that fat isn't coming back into those cells, it releases the water in the cells in what is colloquially known as a "whoosh," because you may drop a couple of pounds overnight. But in that whoosh, you typically don't get smaller, because you've already lost that fat.

The you start all over again.

This is also why not losing scale weight every week or even every month is not considered a true stall. The body is complex, and positive things are happening that aren't immediately reflected on the scale. A true stall is six weeks with no weight OR INCHES lost. If you keep getting frustrated and trying to "shake things up" too soon, you could be sabotaging the progress that is happening behind the scenes.

I have weeks or months at a time during which I don't really lose scale weight, but I do lose inches. In one three month period, I lost two pounds, but went down close to two jeans sizes. I wasn't in a stall. I wasn't losing scale weight, but I was clearly losing fat.

That's why we so strongly recommend measuring yourself, or at least using clothes to track progress as well. The scale doesn't tell the whole story.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spc.ramirez View Post
Well, I consume under 30carbs a day. On other days, I would eat a double cheese burger lettuce wrap. Are you saying thats bad? If so, I will cut them out. Even though, I haven't had one this week. I have heard that it takes a bit longer to lose weight when you are near your goal weight. I don't drink coffee, and I do drink water through out the day. I go all out with cheese, and put it on everything. I have also heard that I should cut out the cheese, too.
Sorry, I misread and didn't see the 'lettuce wrap". No, that's the perfect way to eat the burgers. Try to find out if their meat has breadcrumbs or fillers. I try to keep my carbs under 10 or my scale won't move. Too much cheese seems to slow a lot of people down. My nemesis is heavy whipped cream in my coffee. Other than the cheese, your menu looks really good. The only thing I would suggest is try bringing your carbs down a little. Atkins '72 suggests as close to zero as possible, Atkins '92 suggests 20 or less so there you have it.
Good luck. Sounds like you're doing really good already!! KUTGW!!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was at 226, but gained muscle from working out a lot. I know what you mean, but just sucks. I really want to be below 220 before i start gaining muscle mass. I have a pair of jeans that are beginning to fit a little better. I once was 202, and thats the weight I'm trying to get back to. I know I still have about 3 more months in order to hit my desired weight. Just didn't know if the cheese was the problem, the lettuce wraps. Sometimes i will go out and have mixed drinks. Usually vodka and water, vodka diet coke. Also, i have had fireball a lot with in the month.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Oh, well Fireball is apparently high in carbs. I think it said something like 11g per ounce. Plus, most hard liquor doesn't have carbs, but any alcohol is ALWAYS burned before the other energy sources. Any alcohol you drink will pause your fat burning (weight loss) until it's been burned through. Keep that in mind, along with the fact that it can lower your inhibitions and may lead to bad food choices.

Worth thinking about, especially if you're trying to reach a goal.

But honestly, I'll take being smaller over weighing less any day.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slinky
Stats: 213/195/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/18/14
Maybe try dumping the diet drinks for a week or two. See what happens if you switch to flavored perrier or club soda or unsweetened ice tea. I found that about a third of the can of the diet soda mixed in to a plain club soda is really adequate as far as flavor goes. So one can might last me three days. Something about the diet sodas have never agreed with me. Maybe they are contributing to your stall. Can't hurt to drop them for a bit and see what happens.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eraser51
have you tried cutting the diet soda?

@slinky
did it do anything for you?
eraser51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/200/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002) Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Gave up soda the first day into this WOE and have only had some cheese sprinkled over a bowl of chicken crock pot but that was 6 or so months ago. Maybe remove the soda and cut down on the cheese as mentioned.

Last edited by kay9; 06-29-2014 at 09:36 AM..
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

kay9: hope you find your solution but give it a week to be sure! Good luck.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slinky
Stats: 213/195/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser51 View Post
have you tried cutting the diet soda?

@slinky
did it do anything for you?
Absolutely, I am one of those people who seem to not tolerate artificial sweeteners in great quantity and a whole can is a great quantity for me. I tolerate Splenda better than any of the others. You'll be surprised if you give it a try for a few weeks and the have a sip of a full flavored diet drink... it tastes disturbingly sweet. So, it also benefits by helping to let go of the sweet taste.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kd did
Stats: 209/178.5/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/04/14
Be sure and ask Carl's Jr. for no ketchup or pickles on your burger. I believe their pickles are bread and butter pickles and have some sugar. I'm not sure why they put ketchup on their low carb burgers, but they do. Just an idea...
Kd did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
How ya doing SPc.Ramirez?
Re cheese, you say lots of cheese.
I would suggest cutting quantity of cheese before eliminating it.
It adds variety and flavor. But too much is not good.
Atkins recommended no more than 4 ounces a day for induction.
I'd suggest keeping tabs on HOW MUCH cheese you are eating, and cut down if needed, before eliminating.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote