Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meenie
Calories question

Someone told me they noble are 1100 calories a day on low carb, are you supposed to count calories??!!
Meenie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/229/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
i just count carbs. I pretty much have my portions down now but every now and then i check my daily calorie intake.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meenie
1100 sounds awfully low if they're eating tha Atkins level of fats?
Meenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Meenie,
you do not have to count calories. There are alot of us that do though. When your body gets into a good state of ketosis your appetite decreases naturally, so you eat less. Although if you are like me and tend to eat because it tastes so good, you need to have something to control what you are taking in, so I calorie count.

Best wishes on your new WOE BTW are you doing 2002 Atkins or Atkins new diet revelution?
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
Meenie,
you do not have to count calories. There are alot of us that do though. When your body gets into a good state of ketosis your appetite decreases naturally, so you eat less. Although if you are like me and tend to eat because it tastes so good, you need to have something to control what you are taking in, so I calorie count.

Best wishes on your new WOE BTW are you doing 2002 Atkins or Atkins new diet revelution?
I count kcals as well as carbs because I could sit and graze all blessed day long -- I have portion control issues!! But on Atkins, you don't have to -- I've lost tons w/o counting them and so have many others. And my kcals are rather low. At maintenance I do <1400 kcals and 10-12 carbs daily -- I am that carb sensitive!!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
I count kcals as well as carbs because I could sit and graze all blessed day long -- I have portion control issues!! But on Atkins, you don't have to -- I've lost tons w/o counting them and so have many others. And my kcals are rather low. At maintenance I do <1400 kcals and 10-12 carbs daily -- I am that carb sensitive!!
you are my idol
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
you are my idol
Stop it now!!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carri23
Stats: 220/207/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/01/2014
I never count calories and lose consistently every week ...keep my carbs below 20 per day...
Carri23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenie View Post
Someone told me they noble are 1100 calories a day on low carb, are you supposed to count calories??!!
I think it was answered already, but in case it wasn't clear, you do NOT have to count calories if you are following Atkins. However, some people do watch their calories because they find they are overeating and not losing.

If you are just starting, do not count anything except carbs. Many many people never have to do anything except count carbs all the way to goal. Enjoy the journey!
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbCarrie
Start Date: Feb 2011
I always record what I'm going to eat the night before, so I put it all in the recipe analysis page on the calorie count website to check what my carbs will be, and incidentally I also see the calorie count. I'm usually between 1500-1800 calories.
LowCarbCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

You all are absolutely correct about Atkins -- many people have lost tons of weight following Atkins LC WOE and not count a single kcal.

But here's what Atkins has to say about Calories:

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
p.275

“Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.

Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet
p.205

“If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are producing ketones. You must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as “Eat Unrestrictedly.” When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate partway to the desired goal”.

p.205
“You may have to count calories in addition to carbohydrate. I have never said that calories don’t count, because I know of course that they do. I say that carbohydrate counts more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both.

For most people, restricting carbohydrates is all that is necessary. However, there is no question that a 1500 calories 10 gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly than a 2000 calorie-10 gram diet. So if you are having trouble losing you should cut down on your quantities, but not to the point where you where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger”

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
1992, 1999, 2002
p.143

“Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low fat/high carb diet so that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.”
Old 06-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbCarrie View Post
I always record what I'm going to eat the night before, so I put it all in the recipe analysis page on the calorie count website to check what my carbs will be, and incidentally I also see the calorie count. I'm usually between 1500-1800 calories.

I do the same thing, except I record mine the old fashion way, by hand in a little notebook. But it really keeps me focused and I don't have to worry about what I am going to eat the next day especially when I start getting hungry and we all know that when we're hungry, we tend to make poor food choices.

Carrie, do you tend to eat the same meals over and over again? I have like 4 menus I rotate between -- sounds boring to some, but it simple, quick and I don't like to spend a lot of time thinking about, prepping, touching or cooking food because those are my triggers to eat. I'm living Ben Franklin's quote: Eat to Live NOT Live to Eat.

Last edited by Just Jo; 06-15-2014 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Silly fingers....