Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Simple induction recipes without cheese (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/832726-simple-induction-recipes-without-cheese.html)

Img 06-03-2014 11:05 AM

Simple induction recipes without cheese

I have been reading this forum silently for a while and think that it would be beneficial to have a collection of recipes that do not contain cheese of any kind.

One common theme I see is that sometimes cheese stalls weight loss.

Another recurring theme is that complex recipes with many ingredients are harder to digest and easier to overeat, also resulting in sub-optimal weight loss.

There is no shortage of excellent recipes, but let's ask the members who lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a long time to share their tried and true simple gems.

What do you think?

JaneMarie 06-10-2014 05:13 PM

I'm not in that category but had an egg salad today made from eggs, dill relish, green olives and mayo that was very good. I ate it on celery. No cheese :)

Bonny-Jean 06-10-2014 05:50 PM

I guess the recipes would depend on what version of Atkins you've chosen??
I personally don't like cheese so don't eat it or put it in meals. Atkins '72 only allows for up to 4 oz of block/hard cheese a day anyways. I just eat meat, eggs, fats and oils, coffee w/Silk Coconut & Splenda and sometime Diet Coke and water. That's it for me.

RyeBaby 06-10-2014 07:56 PM

I think I am eating too much cheese.

DairyQueen 06-11-2014 11:15 AM

i found a great sounding recipe today - it's a low country recipe called pickled shrimp:

2 pounds shrimp, peeled with tails on
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
Have on hand a 1-quart jar.
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the shrimp for 3 minutes without letting the water return to a boil. Drain the shrimp; cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine the onion, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and celery seeds, garlic, and bay leaves. In the jar, alternate layers of shrimp and onion mixture. Pour in any remaining liquid. Cover tightly.
3. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, or for up to 2 weeks.
Adapted from “Hoppin’ John’s Lowcountry Cooking”

LowCarbCarrie 06-15-2014 03:06 PM

I don't do recipes for the reasons you stated, plus I like food prepared simply.

For both lunch and dinner I prepare 6 oz of meat plus one vegetable-- either a salad or a cooked side-- with 1 T fat. It makes it VERY easy, and I can obviously change up the meat and vegetable as much as I'd like so I don't get bored. There is truly so much freedom in simplicity!

Meme 06-15-2014 10:06 PM

DQ, Your recipe is very similar to one I did last week as far as ingredients go.
The only addition to your list is celery and 1 can stewed tomatoes.
I cooked the onion and celery in a heavy skillet or dutch oven, then added the can stewed tomatoes chopped and cooked more. Adding all the same spices including bay leaves. (I have a bay tree).
I used maybe 1 lemon.
No celery seed but celery salt.
Last add the shrimp after pealing off the shell.
It's Shrimp Creole

Meme 06-22-2014 08:59 AM

I made my Shrimp Creole recipe again the other day and boy is it good! Don't even want any rice, just a big bowel...the broth is so good.
Yum

Chyrie 06-24-2014 11:46 AM

a chicken and veggie stirfry (you can stirfry just about anything sub any fish, meat or poultry and choose low carb veggies) just use soy sauce (or gluten free tamari usually found with the organic goods) and sesame oil (if you want...ts super healthy but rather pricey)

Meme 06-27-2014 09:19 AM

Chyrie, Stir Fry is so good. I wish I could find a Chinese restaurant that does it. All of the ones I know about use the red bottled sugar sauce or the white corn starch sauce. I have asked and non of them even had sesame oil.
I do have all of it at home but just wish I could find a place that uses stir fry technique.
It's either sugar sauce or no oil-steamed meat/veggies....that's it.

How do you make it?