Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shadrach
Total carbs VS net carbs

Some refer to total carbs on the site, saying stay under fifty, other refer to net carbs, saying stay under twenty to maintain ketosis. Which is the critical reference?

It seems the case that one gram of fiber counteracts one gram of carbs, I suppose because of the energy required to digest fiber, is that true?

If so, isn't net carbs the important marker? What sense does it make to count the total carbs, not taking fiber into account. Something like an advocado has 13 total carbs but 3.4 net, big difference.

I plan to buy the atkins book, just can't right now.
shadrach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Which version of Atkins are you thinking of doing? I'm a A '72 LC WOE Lifer. I only do actual carbs because I process all carbs the same way and I am ultra sensitive to carbs. I am on maintenance and my threshold for daily carbs is between 12-14.

Wishing you much success on your personal LC WOE journey!

Last edited by Just Jo; 06-01-2014 at 04:54 AM..
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /155 / 138 - 143
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
On Atkins 1972 Induction version, we only count "actual" carbs and try to stay as close to 0 as possible. I believe it's the best recipe for success. Don't waste your time deducting "net" carbs from the "real" carb count. To me that's just fooling yourself to think you're consuming less carbs in a day. Each and every carb you consume MATTERS so much. Good luck to you!
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
On Atkins 1972 Induction version, we only count "actual" carbs and try to stay as close to 0 as possible. I believe it's the best recipe for success. Don't waste your time deducting "net" carbs from the "real" carb count. To me that's just fooling yourself to think you're consuming less carbs in a day. Each and every carb you consume MATTERS so much. Good luck to you!
You're right as always, Bonny!!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
The Benefits of Fiber and How It Works Inside the Body
Is a good article for you to use, then use your own judgement on whether to "net" or not
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shadrach
Thanks for the info.
shadrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I'm another one for counting total carbs. I stay under 10 per day, my carbs come from the cheese and eggs that I eat. In the original book, Dr A never discussed net carbs.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Here's the real story behind NET carbs:

When a Carb's Not a Carb: The Net Carb Debate
Will counting net carbs help or hurt weight loss efforts?

When is a carb not a carb? That's the question many carb-conscious dieters are facing as they struggle to keep their carb counts within the strict limits recommended by Atkins and other low-carb diets.

In an effort to cash in on the low-carb craze, food manufacturers have invented a new category of carbohydrates known as "net carbs," which promises to let dieters eat the sweet and creamy foods they crave without suffering the carb consequences.

But the problem is that there is no legal definition of the "net," "active," or "impact" carbs popping up on food labels and advertisements. The only carbohydrate information regulated by the FDA is provided in the Nutrition Facts label, which lists total carbohydrates and breaks them down into dietary fiber and sugars.

Any information or claims about carbohydrate content that appear outside that box have not been evaluated by the FDA.

"These terms have been made up by food companies," says Wahida Karmally, DrPH, RD, director of nutrition at the Irving Center for Clinical Research at Columbia University. "It's a way for the manufacturers of these products to draw attention to them and make them look appealing by saying, 'Look, you can eat all these carbs, but you're really not impacting your health, so to speak.'"

Although the number of products touting "net carbs" continues to grow, nutrition experts say the science behind these claims is fuzzy, and it's unclear whether counting net carbs will help or hurt weight loss efforts.

What's in a Net Carb?
The concept of net carbs is based on the principle that not all carbohydrates affect the body in the same manner.
Some carbohydrates, like simple or refined starches and sugars, are absorbed rapidly and have a high glycemic index, meaning they cause blood sugar levels to quickly rise after eating. Excess simple carbohydrates are stored in the body as fat. Examples of these include potatoes, white bread, white rice, and sweets.

Other carbohydrates, such as the fiber found in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, move slowly through the digestive system, and much of it isn't digested at all (insoluble fiber).

Also in this category of largely indigestible carbohydrates are sugar alcohols, such as mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, and other polyols, which are modified alcohol molecules that resemble sugar. These substances are commonly used as artificial sweeteners.

In calculating net carbs, most manufacturers take the total number of carbohydrates a product contains and subtract fiber and sugar alcohols because these types of carbohydrates are thought to have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels.

For example, the label on PowerBar's new double chocolate flavor "ProteinPlus Carb Select" bar says it has "2 grams of impact carbohydrates." The Nutrition Facts label on the product says it has 30 grams of total carbohydrates.
Just below the nutrition facts box, the "impact carb facts" box provided by the manufacturer explains, "Fiber and sugar alcohols have a minimal effect on blood sugar. For those watching their carb intake, count 2 grams." That's 30 grams minus the bar's 27 grams of sugar alcohols and 1 gram of fiber.

source: : When a Carb's Not a Carb: The Net Carb Debate

Last edited by Just Jo; 06-03-2014 at 06:43 AM..
Old 06-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Slfam
Confusing

I just started Atkins 2 days ago and I am already confused about this net carb thing. My book hasn't arrived yet so I am just going on what I can find online. So far I found a list of meats, veggies, cheese and fats that I can eat on induction. I have been sticking to those without much problem. But when I went to the Atkins site and plugged "induction" into an automatically generated menu plan, it gave some good recipes for each meal but half of their suggestions were their bars and shakes. I get that they want to sell their products but what I am wondering about now is that the bars I bought (Meal replacement chocolate peanut butter) have 17 carbs but only 3 net carbs! I felt like I would be fine eating them since they are Atkins bars and included in the induction phase menu they give me but now I wonder if that is really true. Maybe I should forget the bars completely until I am a month or two into the program... I have a lot of weight to lose so I plan to stick to induction for a while. Any suggestions?
Slfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I think the majority opinion on this board would be to avoid the bars and such.
As for Atkins, be aware that there are various versions. The most restrictive, but very effective, is the 72 version. There is a thread dedicated to that plan. DANDR, of which I am more familiar, let's you count just net carbs (subtracting fiber, essentially). That plan seems to work better for some people that others. Like so many things, you'll find that seeking advice is great you will ultimately have to determine what works best for you.

A lot depends on things like how much you have to lose, and even age and gender. If you are able, I think your idea to avoid the bars for a month or two is a good one.

Last edited by Patience; 06-21-2014 at 08:19 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chyrie
Stats: 214/198/115
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 6/14/2014
After my third pregnancy (where I was GD) I became super sensitive to carbs, so I now count total carbs and am completely strict. I've discovered even a square of dark chocolate makes me gain.
I consider anything sweet and now avoid the bars completely.
Chyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
SL a lot of the plans on the Atkins site are really meant for people that can't/don't have time to cook, so the bars and shakes are an easy go-to for them
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote