Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Atkins bars and shakes - recommendations? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/832484-atkins-bars-shakes-recommendations.html)

lasse 05-30-2014 01:21 PM

Atkins bars and shakes - recommendations?

Hello all! Hope that you are having a great Friday! :)
I am going to make a trip to Sam's Club this weekend and saw that the Atkins shakes and bars are on sale. I haven't received my Quick Start kit in the mail yet, but thought I might try some before I get the samples in the kit. What are some good ones to try?
Also, is it a bad idea to try them during induction? I am going to finish up my second week of induction tomorrow and then probably switch to ongoing weight loss on Sunday, so I could wait to open the box until then.
I haven't had any low carb packaged food at all since I started, but thought since they are on sale, why not pick up a box. Or do they go on sale often and I should just wait and try them once I have been eating this way for a month or two?
Well for sure I know I am getting some chicken breasts and pork tenderloin... :laugh:

MtherGoos 05-30-2014 02:51 PM

Avoid them completely and stick to real food. Meat, eggs, cheese, fats. Keep it clean and simple, especially during induction.

Bonny-Jean 05-30-2014 03:06 PM

Amen Mthergoos. No processed foods, including those brands you asking about. I'm confident Dr. A would never have approved of them!! Also Induction can last as long as you want. People have been on Induction or a year or more. A fast food hamburger or restaurant steak is as far as you want to go with "mystery" meat/food. We really have no idea what might be added to our food unless we add it ourselves. Like Mthergoos said, meats, eggs, fats and a little cheese if you like.

lasse 05-30-2014 03:19 PM

Thank you both! I started to look at the Atkins site and read some of the flavors and I wasn't sure how the ingredients fit the plan. I don't know how they make those ingredients low carbohydrate foods, some kind of lab magic I guess.
So I will take your advice and keep cooking! :) And now I think I will use that money and buy a steak or two!

MtherGoos 05-30-2014 03:20 PM

Good Plan Lasse!!! I like the way you think!

Meme 05-30-2014 03:22 PM

I wouldn't do it in induction at all. Too many carbs at once. Save your carbs for real food. I keep a couple of boxes for back up just to have in an emergency when there is nothing else I can eat, I will put it in my purse. Lets say my hubbie wants to stop on the way somewhere and get an ice cream, I have my Adkins bar. Or you rush off in the morning without breakfast and you know that your blood sugar is going to drop in a couple of hours and you will get a headache, so you have your bar for back-up. But don't buy it until you are sure you are through with induction.

Meme 05-30-2014 03:25 PM

Or a Lobster tail:)...lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasse (Post 16927081)
Thank you both! I started to look at the Atkins site and read some of the flavors and I wasn't sure how the ingredients fit the plan. I don't know how they make those ingredients low carbohydrate foods, some kind of lab magic I guess.
So I will take your advice and keep cooking! :) And now I think I will use that money and buy a steak or two!

lasse 05-30-2014 03:41 PM

Oooh! Lobster tail! How did I not eat this way sooner? I will have to look up how to cook those, I have only had it in a restaurant before.

Madmarsha 05-30-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meme (Post 16927087)
I wouldn't do it in induction at all. Too many carbs at once. Save your carbs for real food. I keep a couple of boxes for back up just to have in an emergency when there is nothing else I can eat, I will put it in my purse. Lets say my hubbie wants to stop on the way somewhere and get an ice cream, I have my Adkins bar. Or you rush off in the morning without breakfast and you know that your blood sugar is going to drop in a couple of hours and you will get a headache, so you have your bar for back-up. But don't buy it until you are sure you are through with induction.

This is the only way I use them, too. Had I started out "relying" on them, I'd have eaten too many and just passed on a bad habit to a "legal" (but not really) food. Generally, I keep none on hand, tho, except what's leftover from what I've bought for a trip and that I didn't end up eating.

Meme 05-30-2014 04:00 PM

Better than a bag of chips, that's for sure!!

Meme 05-30-2014 04:18 PM

Here is what I did the last couple of times. Find a roasting pan a little larger than your lobsters. Make garlic butter with real garlic chopped and melt in microwave.(Not too much garlic, it has carbs) Watchout, the butter will boil over very fast. After defrosting(run under warmish water until the lobsters bend back and forth easily), Split your lobsters down the backside. or if it's too hard to cut, just split the bottom, then slather them all over with the butter like crazy and bake at 325 or so for about 30 minutes. Not too long because they get tough. I also save some of the garlic butter to dip into later. YUM! Count the carbs, 6.6 oz lobster is 2.2g carbs, garlic-1 clove is 1 g. of carbs. I might squeeze a little on the lobster before eating which is, Lemon=1tbst is 1.3g carbs. Or just leave it out and save the carbs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasse (Post 16927123)
Oooh! Lobster tail! How did I not eat this way sooner? I will have to look up how to cook those, I have only had it in a restaurant before.

lasse 05-30-2014 09:38 PM

Thank you for the recipe! Garlic and butter...make everything taste so good :up: Lobster is something I would never have thought of buying, I just always thought of it as an extra-extra-special occasion meal, because of the "fat" :laugh: but wow, I am definitely looking forward to making this recipe, thank you again!
I appreciate everyone's responses to this; I thought maybe one person would reply tomorrow before i went to the store, but it's great to hear from all of you, thank you for your comments! I am getting all of these ideas in my head for tonight while I look up recipes and plan meal ideas for next week.
It is a good point that you ladies raised too, about what to do in meal emergencies. So far I have been lucky and haven't had to worry about too many obstacles that might put me in a situation where I would need to plan ahead or at least have a backup plan for a low carb meal. I really should start thinking about what I will do when I am in a situation like that.

Jennyl 06-01-2014 12:28 AM

I think you were wise to buy steaks instead of the bars. I know some people use them on a regular basis, but I can't personally recommend something like bars or shakes when there are so many tastier options.

Just Jo 06-01-2014 06:00 AM

I wouldn't do any of the Atkins franken-food processed "products". Like you noticed they are full of ingredients that really aren't low carb (binders and starches) but they justify it by saying its NET carbs vs actual carbs. Those of us ultra sensitive to carbs, only count actual carbs. Some of those ingredients are liable to make you stall or gain weight and kick you right out of ketosis.

Bonny-Jean 06-01-2014 06:19 AM

"Franken-food"... is there a more accurate term? I think not!!
Lasse, even ordering "real food" in a restaurant can be iffy!! With the savings you'll have not going out so much, it will afford you being able to buy more rich, juicy steaks!! Like many have said, keep it simple... eggs, meats, fats.

TheFarmersWife713 06-03-2014 10:50 AM

If sweets are your thing, it may be best to stay away from the Atkins bars/shakes for a while. I, personally, have chosen to avoid them because I know they will EXCITE :jumpjoy: my taste buds to sweet again, and I've already (in 8 days) reduced that acquired taste to a fraction of what it used to be!

Another reason is simply because they are processed. I see them as a last resort option for a necessary convenience food or sweet fix.

:)

Meme 06-09-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasse (Post 16927470)
Thank you for the recipe! Garlic and butter...make everything taste so good :up: Lobster is something I would never have thought of buying, I just always thought of it as an extra-extra-special occasion meal, because of the "fat" :laugh: but wow, I am definitely looking forward to making this recipe, thank you again!
I appreciate everyone's responses to this; I thought maybe one person would reply tomorrow before i went to the store, but it's great to hear from all of you, thank you for your comments! I am getting all of these ideas in my head for tonight while I look up recipes and plan meal ideas for next week.
It is a good point that you ladies raised too, about what to do in meal emergencies. So far I have been lucky and haven't had to worry about too many obstacles that might put me in a situation where I would need to plan ahead or at least have a backup plan for a low carb meal. I really should start thinking about what I will do when I am in a situation like that.

lasse, Did you make your lobster? Crab legs are also really easy (just boil) :yummy:and good with butter.

Big Stevie 07-07-2014 09:35 AM

Like others have said, you are best eating real unprocessed food. Put the bars in your purse or car for emergencies. Otherwise skip them.

miss_a 07-08-2014 09:30 AM

Everything else aside, I avoid them because they taste awful.

sueshe 07-11-2014 10:00 AM

I wouldn't do it on induction at all and if you choose to use them afterwards, cut them into teeny pieces, put in a ziplock bag and limit yourself to one piece occasionally. The two I've tried and thought were ok is the Peanut Butter Chocolate bars and the Coconut and Dark Chocolate bars. Have never used the shakes at all....These 'extra's in my opinion are stallers and considered 'processed' food. Just my two cents worth.

Just Jo 07-11-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sueshe (Post 16970220)
I wouldn't do it on induction at all and if you choose to use them afterwards, cut them into teeny pieces, put in a ziplock bag and limit yourself to one piece occasionally. The two I've tried and thought were ok is the Peanut Butter Chocolate bars and the Coconut and Dark Chocolate bars. Have never used the shakes at all....These 'extra's in my opinion are stallers and considered 'processed' food. Just my two cents worth.

I agree 100% :goodpost: