Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shellbells22
Atkins Day 11 - need help :-(

Hi everyone

This is my first time posting, I need some advise please!

Im am on Day 11 Atkins induction and I feel so fat and bloated! I havent weighed myself as I was due on my mensies so thought best not to, if I weigh myself and see I havent lost any weight it will dishearten me so I decided against until I know my week or so of bloating has passed.

I have done atkins induction for 2 weeks before but then fell off the wagon pretty bad so I am now back and raring to go! I remember my body reacting much faster last time and I wasnt as strict with counting carbs as I am now. I remember noticbly going into ketosis and I had a sickly, not hungry feeling. I havent noticed it too much this time, I dont really want to resort to ketone strips as I dont really want to be peeing on a stick if I can help it, seems a bit obsessive.

So anyways, I cant get rid of this bloated feeling. I am sensitive to salt anyway so I have been trying to stay away from it in general, no headaches etc apart from the first few days.

I dont think I have been getting enough fibre on induction and as a result I havent had much movement in that area (TMI)? So much so that I had to take a senna (natural laxitive) tablet last night as I felt so uncomfortable. I have been having milled flaxseed everyday and adding coconut oil to my eggs in the morning, plus the usual veg. I think my body is in shock as I used to eat so many wholegrain foods which I have obviously completley stopped.

Has anyone else had a similar experience on Atkins induction? If so has it passed?

I cant help feeling that I am trying so hard and I am just getting fatter. Am I going to have to bite the bullet and get some ketone strips?

Any help you could give would be great, I'm so disappointed with this at the moment

Thanks
Shellbells22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Welcome ShellBells! First of all, the testing strips are notoriously unreliable, so I really wouldn't waste the time and money on them, especially since you don't want to. For me, I don't worry about fiber, I take magnesium every day and that keeps everything regular. Fiber isn't actually necessary. If it was me, I would cut out the flaxseed and cut down on the veggies and see if that helps. Get plenty of fat in. Be strict with keeping to meat, eggs, veggies, and fats and if you feel like you need them, a few veggies. Then, once you get to losing, you can slowly add the other things back in to see what you can tolerate and still lose.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
It can take some time for our bodies to adjust. Sounds to me you are in the range of normal (whatever that is). Take a deep breath, focus, and continue on with staying within induction guidelines. Many here (including me) report that losses are slower second and third, etc. times we do Atkins. It will still work, but you need to commit for a longer period of time. Good luck, stay the course.

p.s. it can be helpful if you give us some specifics as to menu or, should you choose, some of your stats.

Last edited by Patience; 05-22-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Try eating a salad every day which really helps me.
Induction guidelines concerning veggies and salad are here:
4. VEGETABLES-Remember, the 20 grams of carbohydrates that you consume per day should mostly come from vegetables. You can have 3-4 cups of salad or 2 cups salad, 1 cup cooked vegetables per day using only the vegetables on the acceptable food list. This is very important. Eliminating the vegetables may shut down your metabolism and your weight loss will stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbells22 View Post
Hi everyone

This is my first time posting, I need some advise please!

Im am on Day 11 Atkins induction and I feel so fat and bloated! I havent weighed myself as I was due on my mensies so thought best not to, if I weigh myself and see I havent lost any weight it will dishearten me so I decided against until I know my week or so of bloating has passed.

I have done atkins induction for 2 weeks before but then fell off the wagon pretty bad so I am now back and raring to go! I remember my body reacting much faster last time and I wasnt as strict with counting carbs as I am now. I remember noticbly going into ketosis and I had a sickly, not hungry feeling. I havent noticed it too much this time, I dont really want to resort to ketone strips as I dont really want to be peeing on a stick if I can help it, seems a bit obsessive.

So anyways, I cant get rid of this bloated feeling. I am sensitive to salt anyway so I have been trying to stay away from it in general, no headaches etc apart from the first few days.

I dont think I have been getting enough fibre on induction and as a result I havent had much movement in that area (TMI)? So much so that I had to take a senna (natural laxitive) tablet last night as I felt so uncomfortable. I have been having milled flaxseed everyday and adding coconut oil to my eggs in the morning, plus the usual veg. I think my body is in shock as I used to eat so many wholegrain foods which I have obviously completley stopped.

Has anyone else had a similar experience on Atkins induction? If so has it passed?

I cant help feeling that I am trying so hard and I am just getting fatter. Am I going to have to bite the bullet and get some ketone strips?

Any help you could give would be great, I'm so disappointed with this at the moment

Thanks
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Niki_D
Stats: 255/240/150
WOE: HFLC/NK
Start Date: May 2014 (This time ;-P)
Hi Shellbells,

I retain water HORRIBLY with TOM. I will usually be about 5lbs up in the weeks before and during...and won't lose it until TOM is gone. Hormones suck. I also bloat up with flax. I can't eat it. I 2nd MthrGoos on cutting out flax and veggies and see if that helps Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
Niki_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
This is very important. Eliminating the vegetables may shut down your metabolism and your weight loss will stall.
I have to disagree with this completely. I haven't had veggies in 15 months, and I'm still consistently losing. I think we're all different and have to find out what our individual bodies can tolerate. That's why cutting everything out at first can sometimes help because then you add things back in one at a time when you're ready to and see what your body can tolerate. Some people have found that they don't lose when they are eating veggies and others can tolerate them with no problems. But eliminating veggies isn't going to shut down your metabolism.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
NO veggies works for me too!! I was having a small salad of romaine, fresh bacon bits, and 1 tbsp of Ranch every day at lunch and I started gaining. No more salad and the scale has been going down ever since. I tried this 2 or 3 times so it was definitely the salad!!
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Meme, I have to strongly disagree about not eating veggies slows down your metabolism -- I have never ever heard that and I minored in nutrition in college.

I agree 100% with everything MG has suggested (but then I usually always do.)

I've never had any problem with the salad -- but that's the ONLY veggie I eat and I'm specific about the type: Butter Lettuce, aka, Bib or Boston.

Everyone is different and we all have different tolerances for different types of foods. Let us know how you're feeling!!!

Wishing you success on your LC WOE journey!!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
A lot of people have found that the newer versions of Atkins don't work for them and have moved on to the original Atkins '72 version of the diet. Everyone tries to be supportive and part of that is throwing out the information that has worked for them.

If you're following your version, eating what you like and still losing then more power to you! The third week of Atkins (no matter which version you use) seems to be a bit of a let down. Lots of people lose nothing that third week. Our bodies seem to throw on the brakes and say "Wait??!!!! What the heck are you doing to me???!!!" That is beyond normal! I cannot think of a single person that lost a pound in week 3.

I think the biggest thing is to stay away from the bars and the shakes. There are times we all need to troubleshoot and to reevaluate what's working and not working for our individual bodies.

Count up how much fiber you're getting on a typical day if you're concerned. Compare it to where you might have been on a typical day before. Magnesium, coconut oil, and coffee can all help keep your digestive tract moving.

Best of luck to you! Stick with it!
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/231/149
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2, 2014
I tried the newer versions of Atkins and didn't start getting the results I wanted --- both weight wise and control of appetite wise--- until I cut to the basics of meat, fat and eggs. I use a salad as a "cheat" for the times we go out to eat or have company over but otherwise it is meat, eggs and fat.

I find I do better when I'm pretty much eating the same things everyday. There is no question as to what I will be eating --- it is just about the same everyday. That saves me from standing in front of the open fridge wondering what I am "in the mood for".

I Love this WOE!! I can see myself doing it the rest of my life. Thank you everyone for posting here. I was getting help from you guys before I started posting myself!

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Kimbersh47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
For me the new diet works just fine and I love my vegetables so I will be posting about my diet. I also prefer getting my vitamins and minerals from the meat and vegetables that I eat instead of taking a pill and I plan on eating like this the rest of my life as a healthy way to eat and not just a diet. I also think the strips are a very good tool in the beginning to let you know what's going on.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Shellbells,
I completely understand how miserable it can be to not have any movement...(BM). Before lc it was my norm.
I believe Atkins mentions in I think it is the second book physillium (sp?) fiber. For me spinach in eggs or salads also coffee and fat intake keeps things moving.
Don't give up! keep asking questions and you will find an answer that will work for you.
HUGS
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote