Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JessH
Stats: 149/141/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Stalled Newbie! Please help!

Hello All!

I have been stalled for 2 weeks and hoping for some insight.

A little bit of history: I've been thin all my life until my second child was born 5 years ago and had trouble shedding the post baby weight. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism two years later and have been on treatment ever since. My levels were in the optimal range, but I was still unable to lose weight, not matter what I tried. After 5 different doctors, I was finally diagnosed with PCOS and decided to try a low carb WOE as I read it could be helpful for PCOS and insulin resistance.

I started a Paleo WOE at the beginning of the year but decided to switch to South Beach after seeing zero results after several months. I lost about 5lbs in the 2 weeks I was on SB and decided to move to Atkins induction because it seems to make more sense for me and I wasn't ready to reintroduce more carbs yet. Since starting induction 4 weeks ago, I've only lost 3lbs, and I have been stalled for the last 2 weeks. I did lose a few inches in the beginning as well but that has also stalled for almost 2 weeks.

An average day looks like this (20g net carbs or less):

Breakfast: Either a Protein shake -or- two flax muffins with coffee, 1 packet of splenda and whipping cream (Eggs tend to make me ill)
Lunch: Leftover Protein from dinner and salad with olive oil or blue cheese and a sprinkle of goat cheese
Dinner: Protein (homemade buffalo chicken wings, hamburger patty with cheese wrapped in lettuce, fajita chicken and peppers with cheese and sour cream wrapped in lettuce etc) with broccoli or cauliflower.
Snack: celery with cream cheese, or a cup of tea (sometimes with whipping cream, sometimes not).
Occasionally I'll have some sf jello after dinner. I will drink an occasional diet soda on the weekends, and sometimes a cup of broth before exercise but drink lots of water otherwise.

The first two weeks of induction I was consuming an average of 1100 calories a day and thought that might be the problem. I've since been consuming between 1500-1600 a day and that hasn't impacted anything. My average percentages are: 70% fat/ 6% carbs/ 23% protein.

I have no physical signs of ketosis (no body order, no bad breath and I sleep like rock). I've also not experienced any increase in my energy level. I have not had any cheats to throw me out of ketosis since beginning this WOE.

I exercise 5-6 times a week: 2-3 days of hour long resistance training (Les Mills Bodypump), and 3 days of hour long cardio (kickboxing, Zumba etc.). This was my exercise program for 8 weeks prior to starting induction.

I am very frustrated and feeling pretty discouraged. I would love any helpful hints, insight or tips that anyone might have!
JessH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Hi Jess:
Firstly, you don't have much to lose!!! What version of Atkins are you doing? Your numbers look really good for any version of Atkins, I would think. For the most part everything looks good. Personally, I'm doing the 1972 version which is quite strict but works. I just eat eggs, meats, fats, water & coffee. NOTHING ELSE!!

Eggs anyway you like, try to incorporate some butter
Fresh, unprocessed or pkg'd meats, usually cook in coconut oil or similar
Fats such as mayo, oils, small amounts of heavy whipping cream 33% for coffee, etc.
Leafy greens, loosely packed up to 2 c a day, I think?
I dunno, I don't eat them. I think my cal are about 1200, with macros like 65 fat, 25 protein, 5 carb or close enough.

That's about all I eat every day and have lost 59 lbs. in 7.5 months but again, I'm pretty determined and don't touch anything like shakes, bars, dinners that come in a box again because I'm doing the original '72 version.

It's hard to say if all these foods you choose are okay cause the Atkins I do does not allow some of them. You're welcome to join us in the May Challenge and there's lots of very wise people there who will welcome you with open arms cause we want the same results and are very supportive to anyone else who is committed to a healthier life!
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/271/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
I would second that, you don't have much to lose so it takes longer. Also, just learning that PCOS gals need to drop the dairy. The proteins in dairy shoot insulin levels through the roof for PCOS gals. Drop the dairy and see if that kick starts you. If you lose on it, you could try to replace with goat and sheep's milk dairy first. The proteins are different in them.
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I'm a fellow PCOSer and know this diet can work for us. I can't say if any food would affect you as it does me, but a couple of things stood out. The flax muffins and cream cheese always stall me. I would try cutting those out and giving it a week. I'm not sure if its PCOS related but it usually takes around 3 days for the effects of certain foods to leave my system. I wouldn't worry about calories at this point. Just get the diet part down. Good luck!
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote