Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: candypickletoes
Stats: 220/190.8/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 8, 2014
Yet another newbie - LONG, sorry!

Hi everyone! As the thread title says, I'm new to this WOE and couldn't be happier. Today is the final day of my 2-week induction (though I plan to remain in this phase to lose a little faster) and I feel fantastic! I'm down 11 pounds in those two weeks.

A little back story - I'm 46 years old. In January 2013 I began a journey of changing my life, I began following a low calorie diet, exercising like crazy, I dropped 40 pounds, no problem. Then in May 2013 I gave up tobacco (though I was using e-cigs), then on July 27, 2013 I had two heart attacks, one in the mid-afternoon which led to my very first ride in an ambulance, then one after the placing of a stent...apparently I didn't like the way they did it so I threw a clot to the stent, completely blocking it. Pfft. Needless to say, that day I gave up the nicotine from the e-cigs! So now enter a ridiculous amount (albeit necessary for now) of drugs with varying side-effects, the one hitting me hardest was weight gain.

UGH, every visit to the Cardiologist he would ask how I was, I'd say I'm gaining weight and I don't like it....he always replied "are you still off the nicotine?". Yes, doc, I am. "Then right now I don't care about your weight, we'll deal with that in a year, right now we are going to concentrate on you not smoking again". What he doesn't seem to realize is I have no craving, no desire whatsoever (even in times of stress) to go back to smoking, so let's stop talking about the whole smoking thing and move on to finding me new meds that aren't going to blow me up like a balloon. But, I digress, he is the doc after all.

All tests since have been amazing, I have no residual damage whatsoever to my heart, the woman who did my echo said if she hadn't been told I'd suffered two heart attacks she never would have guessed it. Excellent news.

On top of the meds, I have the slower metabolism than I'm used to because I quit the smoking AND I'm going through menopause (yes, early but I started the whole womanly thing at the age of 9 so for me it's normal) so I have all the powers that be working against me. Not only did I gain back that 40 pounds (of course not being allowed to exercise unsupervised didn't help) but I gained 20 extra. All with eating only 1,200 - 1,300 calories per day! GOOD GRIEF!! I felt HORRIBLE.

I'm taking matters into my own hands, I've been somewhat released from my cardiologist with check-ups only once per year so if I didn't do something I would be pushing 300 by the time I went back. Not. Going. To. Happen.

So, here I am, 11 lbs lighter than I was 2 weeks ago, this is the ONLY thing (aside from starving myself) that has had any effect while on these meds. I feel great, my energy level is through the roof, and I look forward to a lifetime of this WOE!

Anyway, hi everyone! Sorry this is so long!
candypickletoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Hi Candy! So glad to have you join us! You've had a tough year, but I'm glad you're feeling better and joining us. Post often, join us in the monthly challenge, and share your journey with us!
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Welcome! I'm glad you are doing so well now! Like MtherGoos has said, come join us in the April Challenge. We chat a lot in that thread and would love to have you!
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote