Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wodkat
Stats: 161/158/132
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: March 1st 2014 (2nd time around)
I need your help.

Words can't describe how much I want to lose 25 pounds. I'm 20 years old (turning 21 soon), 173 cm tall, weighing 73 kg . I've NEVER been happy with my weight. Ever. Even when I was a little kid. I blame my family and classmates (kids can be mean). Looking back I was actually pretty thin when I was youngr and still I thought I was fat!! URGH!. Anyway. I started losing weight a few years back and I succeeded! I lost 5 kilos with healthy eating, and then found out about the ketogenic lifestyle. I went low carb and lost 5 more. and I hit my goal. yay! however a depression came along a few years after that and it brought with it all the weight I had lost and some more. since then, it's been 2 years of yo-yo dieting. Im pretty sure that messed up my metabolism. I remember losing pretty easily just by eating healthily without exercising, or by going low carb. the thing is, I didn't even know what I was doing when I was low carbing. I just didn't eat the obvious carbs and I still lost really fast. it's like my body was super ready to lose weight. that's definitely not the case nowadays.

I've been trying everything and everything stalls me. I can't lose much by eating healthy and exercising because I always stall after 3 kilos. it's so annoying. I've been down this road so many times.

I wanna go low carb. Not just for the diet. I wanna start with Atkins Inductin. It helped me a LOT last year, even though I eventually messed up and gained it back.

so here's the thing: I've been starting induction but at first I realized I wasn't eating enough calories, and that definitely goes against me. so I stopped low carbing for a few days and this week I started again, for good. Im now counting calories. I'm aiming at 1500+ daily (especially on the days when I work out , which are 4 to 5 a week). Hopefully that's enough to keep my metabolism going!!

So here's the thing: based on my stats (173 cm tall, 73 kg, goal is to lose 25 lbs , 20 years old, working out 4 to 5 times a week mostly cardio but also muscle training), how should I be eating?

I've done ALL kinds of research, I've read so many threads in this forum and some more, I feel like I know everything I need to know.. but following people's advice isn't really getting me there. I always seem to find an obstacle! This time I'm worried about protein. How much protein should I be eating?

The thing is, I've been going 70-72% fat with 1500 cals and 20 g of carbs very day, and I didn't test for ketosis because I was just so sure that I was in it (usually takes me 2 days to reach it). I've been sick though so I havent been working out, and today I tested with ketostix and it was negative...how can this be!? I'm not eating any dangerous foods that might stall me. literally my diet is all meat, fish, eggs and veggies. alright so today (by mistake,ARGH) I had a breaded chicken fillet. could that have been enough to kick me out of ketosis? :/ should I just keep doing what i doing?

I need reinforcement because when things don't go well, I crave junk food and fall off the wagon.... I also havent lost anything this week. it just bothers me so much how easy this used to be for me a few years ago...

also , what's the view on flax seeds and chia seeds? I used to have them every day but this time around im laying off them, in case thet're not induction friendly... I don't see why they shouldn't be to be honest but just in case...

just today when I tested negative on the ketostix I freaked out and seriously considered "ok since im not in ketosis, I can eat whatever I want and start again tomorrow!.

seriously, what am I doing wrong? why am I not losing? what percentages should I be eating?

oh p.s: I definitely drink tons of water every day, thats not a problem. I also drink green tea unsweetened, I think thats ok too.
Wodkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Honestly, I think you need to quit worrying and stressing so much. Get one of Dr. Atkins books, read it and understand how this works. Then stick to the list of Induction Foods and do a clean induction period. Don't eat anything that isn't on the list of allowed foods. Be consistent. Constantly trying to change things and worrying about your macros already just isn't necessary. Just do a very clean induction period and see how you do.

Be patient and be consistent. You're sabotaging yourself by worrying about things that you may not even need to worry about.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arb34
Stats: 222/197.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: restarted 1/2/2014
Wodkat, I agree with MtherGoos ...don't overthink this. It may take a bit of time to find what is going to work for your body right now....not the body you had a few years ago. What worked before may not work this time but with patience and a bit of trial and error you will find the right combinations. Join the Induction Challenge thread....so much good advice there and super encouraging people!! And hang in there, don't let it get you down as you may be so very close to getting the losses started and to give up will just make it longer to get back in ketosis. It usually takes me 3 or 4 days of eating totally carb free.
arb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
Agree with MtherGoos. Take a step back. Breathe. Just eat as cleanly as you can. Take one moment at a time. I have never used the ketostix in my life. About day 3 into Induction, I have the most atrocious breath and I know I'm there! In the beginning, don't worry about the calories at all. If you're hungry, EAT! Just make sure that you're keeping your carbs low! EAT!

Join in on (or at least read through) the boards. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable people on here. I personally think that getting through those first 5 days are the hardest and once you're past that, it gets a lot easier.

Weigh yourself in the morning of your first day. And then do yourself a favor and stay off the scale for a week. Little fluctuations day to day are normal. I know I can lose nothing for several days and then BAM! 2 pounds are gone. Or I lose .2 a day for a week and then the next week, I lose 5 pounds.

And please stop beating yourself up! You are a human being your value as a person is not about a number on the scale.

Hang in there!
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I agree with the others and think you'll do fine, sweetheart. Try to relax a little, check the carb values of everything and avoid anything high carb. Increasing fat will help satiate you. Don't try to rush things. If using the ketostix causes you to lose heart, stop using them. You can do it. Change never happens overnight.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Here's to our past and future successes!!!

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence." - Confucius

jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Wodcat,
My advice, if I try to do too many things at once its just too much for me.
I can't start 2 new things at the same time. Examples, new job, diet, and exercise.

I agree with all the advice thus given. Take it slow...take some deep breaths and try to relax...
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wodkat
Stats: 161/158/132
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: March 1st 2014 (2nd time around)
Guys thank you so much for the words really ! I was having a pretty bad anxiety case and it took me a while to get things right but I'm a very practical and analytical (sp?) person, I like to do things by myself and coming here for help was really a sign of how screwed up my mind was.

I love practical advice so someone said to read the Atkins book and I did, for the first time ever!! NEVER thought it would help because I've done awesome with Atkins in the past and never read it. But I LOVED IT!!! He def has a way with words. I didn't learn anything new, because 1) I'm a biochemist and 2) the amount of research I've done on the internet is endless, but it encouraged me so much!! It also encouraged me to think of this as a lifestyle, NOT a diet, which I think was contributing to the freaking out !

SO I started on Saturday (although I did eat a lot of carbs that day but like not even close to the regular days) and instead of worrying and testing with the stix I just kept it up. From sunday to today I've been eating perfectly. I do count calories (approximately) bc I tend to not eat enough and stalling bc of that, I have my percentages , I plan my meals accordingly... but Im also trying new meals and new veggies which is adding variety and making the whole thing more fun!! I didn't weigh myself in the beginning bc I didn't want to let water weight (from the massive carb intake in the rpevious week) to mess with my mind. I Only tested with the stix today and was in deep ketosis and also weighed myself and sure enough, it started coming off!! I can't be sure how much Ive lost so far, but judging by my last weigh-in a few weeks back and my behaviour ever since I'm thinking between 0,5 and 1 kilo, which for me is great !

I'm definitely gonna keep this up, Im not even dreaming of giving up!!!

Oh and another thing Im super proud of: at the Oscars night I had a few friends over and oh my god, they brought so much food!! My best friend made brownies!! with frosting!!! thats my favorite thing in the whole damn world. we also had popcorn and chips and cookies..!!! I didn't even touch them!!! In the past, I'd probably think "eh, it's only the 2nd day, not much of a difference if I start again tomorrow" but this time I knew I couldn't fall off the wagon again or else I wouldn't be able to get on again. SO I didn't touch the food. I am SO proud. I had a soy yogurt (which I don't plan on having during induction even though it's almost zero carbs and no lactose) just to distract me from all the crap, I drank my green tea and I watched them eat all the glorious goodies. The torture didn't end there because there were so many leftovers, I had to stare at the brownies for days and debate whether or not I should just eat them! But my brother is slowly taking care of the cookies, and I've given the brownies to a friend of mine (just to get them out of the house!)

So yeah Im doing great having been working out bc I've been sick actually but Ill start tomorrow probably. I can't wait to weigh myself on monday and then again after a week and let you guys know. I'm so pumped to keep this up for more than 2 weeks. I'll probably add some stuff very slowly (those soy yogurts for example ,they're to die for) to my diet and see how it affects me.

I cannot thank you enough!
Wodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
Awesome job avoiding all those "goodies!" That is a great accomplishment!

Keep on keepin' on!
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote