Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Natty24
Stats: Start: 172 lbs. Goal: 130.lbs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 6, 2014
4weeks induction and weight gain. Feeling so upset

Hi all! I am very new to this forum and diets in general.

I am a 26yo female weighing it at 164. History of polycystic ovarian syndrome

I have been on induction for 4 weeks now and am getting really frustrated. I lost 10 pounds in the first 3 weeks but now going on my 4th week and I keep gaining 2 pounds. I don't know what I am doing wrong and feeling so upset because I've really changed my diet so much. I have not cheated once in regards to drinking alcohol, eating bread pasta rice or any ice cream.

I haven't been going to the bathroom frequently at least every 2-3 days. Sometimes when I do go I loose the 2 pounds. This tjme
It was not the case. I am on my TOM so I don't know if that is effecting my numbers.

My days usually look like this

Breakfast:
2 whole eggs and 1 egg white hard boiled with once table spoon of mayo and a teaspoon of mustard with a pinch of garlic powder

Lunch:
2 grilled chicken breasts with a Caesar salad

Snacks:
Polly I string cheese or an Atkins bar

Dinner:
Chicken breast or ground chicken with a salad

What am I doing wrong. I feel so discouraged. I want to loose at least 30 more pounds and am so upset because I've never had to diet in my life before and now I feel like I am in a fight for my life to get this weight off!!

I am also starting to incorporate the gym at least 3 cardio days a week with 2 days of light weights
Natty24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Exercise can mean water retention for some folk, it also increases muscle mass which weighs more, and finally TOM will mean fluid retention.

I have taken to weighing only once a month because I retain water around ovulation, and also around bleed time, so spend my life being discouraged by weight gain...that is t weight gain...but is excess fluid, and I would gain upto 2kg in water weight ( 4.4lbs) with cycling. I too have PCOS, and have noticed that as the time has gone by ( started in August) many of the awful cyclic symptoms I had have lessened dramatically! Last ovulation...I had zero pain.....like at all!!! This is the first I haven't felt excruciating pain when ovulating since my mid teen years! But I will say, that for months of low carbing, all my symptoms got worse as oestrogen was released from fat. I was given the tip to eat raw cabbage ( or cooked, any brassica) as they help remove excess oestrogen from the body. I was doing that a few times a week.

6mths on, I still retain water awfully around mid cycle and ToM, but all the other symptoms are settling for me.

I have also worked out I need to limit my protein I take, and have gravitated towards nutritional ketosis which is for me VLC, higher fat and moderate protein. Your protein levels would be too much for me personally, but I understand on your plan it's what's advocated... But maybe look into replacing some protein with fat? Excess protein can get converted into glycogen I believe, and can affect you if you're metabolically affected that way...which is a potential with PCOS.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Am sure someone more coherent will be along sooner lol.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Try skipping the Atkins bar as they can stall some people. Also, try adding a magnesium supplement as it will help with regularity. Make sure you are following the recommended amounts for veggies in your salads. It's easy to go over the induction limit with veggies. I too have PCOS and have found that this WOE works well for me when I follow it. Good luck to you!!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Natty, don't get discouraged! It's totally normal to have a little bounce after the initial losses. Your body is just adjusting. And water weight will definitely cause you to bounce around.

As Julie already suggested, I would ditch the Atkins bar and stick to real, whole, fat filled foods.

Be patient and consistent and you will keep losing!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
When I first started exercising I gained 3-5 pounds. Within a couple of weeks my weight stabilized and I began to drop again.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
It's very common in the 3rd or 4th week to lose nothing!!! Or even gain a little. Your body needs a moment to figure out what the heck is going on! And then add in your TOM and PCOS and I think the combo of all of those things gives you the week you just had. I know how frustrating it is. I don't have PCOS (but I have several friends that do), but I can always feel when I'm ovulating, hurts like a mofo. When I'm eating LC, I don't feel ovulation at all. And my cramps from TOM are greatly diminished.

All I can say is hang in there. You're doing great! I would also look at the Atkins bars, they do make lots of people stall. And don't be afraid to throw a little more fat in where you can!
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Why the two whole eggs and one egg white? You don't have to be concerned with fat on Atkins. In fact, especially in the beginning, the more the better. You aren't getting enough fat into your system to get into ketosis. And I'd also say avoid all things that are LC processed products, even if they say "Atkins" on them. Sugar alcohols stall a lot of people.

Magnesium tabs help a lot with constipation. You might need to take 2 per day but also take a calcium pill to help keep from going deficient in the calcium department. I don't know how to explain it but it's a balancing act.

If you aren't into salads, you don't have to make yourself eat them. You can eat veggies or not eat veggies; it's up to you. If you'd rather have something like grilled asparagus spears with a hollandaise sauce drizzled over them (or pan fried in olive oil and garlic), have those instead.

Don't measure your mayo. Do you like tuna salad? Eat it with as much mayo as you like. I'll bet in just a day or two of eating this new way, you'll see you'll begin dropping weight again. It will be slow, but it's your first time doing LC and that's the best time as far as it working for someone.

Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb plan. Sometimes eating too much protein (lean chicken breast with no added fat or without the skin) will slow your losses down, too.

I don't know what it is about declaring I'm going to do well with diet etc but I become an automatic time bomb. It's time to bow out altogether. I have to do something entirely different, like GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.

I think it's time to make that change. Hoping all of you have the greatest of success. PM me if you wish to stay in touch. God bless each of you. I know where you can be found.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Sounds like you are not getting enough fat. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it really is key to this way of eating. i would also toss those bars, they acan cause you to stall.

You're doing great ~ Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged.
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Oh my everyone! I am so happy to hear from you all!!! I thought I would get notifications if someone wrote on the thread. I didn't know I had to log in for it!!

So today was a really bad day. After feeling quite crappy with myself and not losing anything I let my feelings get the best of me. I went out and had a cold stone ice cream and for dinner I had sushi. After I went to my boyfriends house and saw his mom who hasn't seen me in about 3 weeks and she said "wow you look so good you lost weight!!" She said she can see my weight loss everywhere. I wish I had seen her before I ate all that crap cus I would have kept going and I wouldn't have eaten that crap. Well I can't take it back. Tomorrow is a new day.

So I'm going to go back on it and not eat the Atkins bars. I hope this will help and I will also get me so magnesium tabs and start on that.

@cherylb I only eat 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white because someone told me I should watch out for my cholesterol. I too also heard that I should keep it in high fat and moderate protein. I find it so hard to put so much fat in my diet. It's almost a guilt trip I have to get over.

@luckymuma I found that my cramps were really bad this time around. I had cramps for almost 2 days. I haven't had cramps like that since I was a teenager!! I was horrible :-(

I am seriously so happy for all your responses. I thank all of you so much for taking. The time out to respond. I feel more motivated hearing from you all and what works for you. Thank you!!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
Just move on! You fell down. It's okay! Just get back on the horse. I know it always sounded crazy to me to add more and more fat in, but it works!
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your kind words @gypsysixpence!!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Natty, we all have little off plan indulgences now and then. Don't let it throw you. Get right back on track and keep going. The longer you're on plan, the less cravings you have. It really does get easier.

Eat the whole egg. Fat does not make you fat, and it isn't bad for you. It's the combination of fat and carbs that are so bad for you. So if you're eating a lot of carbs, then yes, you shouldn't eat a lot of fat, but when you aren't eating the carbs, the fats are good for you. Coconut oil, olive oil, butter, mayo, and even avocados when you reach the point in your plan where you're eating avocados. Don't fear the fat!
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

@mthergoos thank you so much for the advice and motivation!! You're right the cravings for all these sugars aren't as bad as I thought and I can for sure see myself getting back on induction without the crazy cravings!! You're right I have to stop beating myself up for falling off track once! I am seriously so grateful for all of you and your support. It really makes me want to try harder and not feel so terrible!! Thank you <3
Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/159.8/130
Start Date: November 2012
Hey Natty24, I used to have high cholesterol prior to eating low carb. I eat tonnes of eggs and my cholesterol has gone back to normal. My doctor had even asked me how I got my cholesterol back to normal and I told him it was from bacon, steak and eggs. I don't think he believed me haha.
During that time of the month we can see a 2-7 lb weight gain in just water. It can creep up about a week prior. It literally is just water retention. I have been keeping track of my cycle just so I can make myself aware of possible weight gain. Glad you are here and back on track!
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyspySixpence View Post
Just move on! You fell down. It's okay! Just get back on the horse. I know it always sounded crazy to me to add more and more fat in, but it works!
Agreed! just keep moving forward ~ You're doing great
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Natty, we all have little off plan indulgences now and then. Don't let it throw you. Get right back on track and keep going. The longer you're on plan, the less cravings you have. It really does get easier.

Eat the whole egg. Fat does not make you fat, and it isn't bad for you. It's the combination of fat and carbs that are so bad for you. So if you're eating a lot of carbs, then yes, you shouldn't eat a lot of fat, but when you aren't eating the carbs, the fats are good for you. Coconut oil, olive oil, butter, mayo, and even avocados when you reach the point in your plan where you're eating avocados. Don't fear the fat!
Well said!