Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: valeche
4WEEKS IN KETOSIS-desperate advice needed!!! Poor loss

Hi everyone, would really appreciate some help and advice. 4 weeks in and I've lost about 3lbs. I really can't understand what is happening but something is wrong and I really would like for someone to find the problem before I throw the towel in out of frustration Details below:

I'm not new to Atkins, it's worked before on multiple occasions for me but I have to admit I use it as a weight loss tool and not as a lifestyle. Previous losses on atkins have been from 190lb-170lbs in about 2-3months, periods of 10lb losses etc. so I'm a yo-yo'er but anyway..I know it works for me, I know how my body reacts to carbs, I know what'll knock me out of ketosis, I know my net carb limit (I can never push over 25g max before falling out of ketosis) Anyway I'm waffling sorry...
So after Xmas and a lot of weight gain in the last 7 months I decided to come back. I began on January 6 at 199lbs today is January 29th and I weigh 195. My weight can go up to 197, 196..I'll weigh and be 193 and be really happy then the next day I'm back up to 197. It's driving me insane.
Background:
I test my urine daily- I have never been out of ketosis in the past month.
I haven't eaten anything I shouldn't
I try to keep dairy to a minimum but I eat cheese most days
I eat a lot of veggies and a lot of meat (processed to an absolute minimum)

I am working from home at the moment so I am doing a working day at a desk. My exercise is all strength and conditioning..mostly squats..about 20 mins a day. So I suppose I don't move a lot but I do do regular things getting out the house going out etc.

I have been drinking protein shakes after work outs because they work really well for me in terms of muscle repair. It is low carb and low fat.. per serving there is 2.4g carb and I never have more than one in a day, 23g of protein in a serving. Could this be the problem? Would it really cause such a stall?

example of food intake (what I ate yesterday):

breakfast (post work out): 1 scoop protein powder, almond milk (unsweetened),spinach,soya yoghurt (small scoop), a handful of raspberries (i know advised against in induction but week 4 now and also have always had them every other time in induction, never affected before and do not come out of ketosis)

snacks: cherry toms (3), laughing cow cheese triangle, handful of peanuts

lunch: tuna, full fat mayo, avacado, mozarella, plenty of rocket leaves

dinner: lamb, brocolli, spinach

snack: anchovies

I do eat peanuts but never over say 6g of carbs in a day. I do eat a lot of salt I guess but I think I get my water intake..could be upped I guess.

I also have PCOS- thought I'd mention.

Like I said above, I have ALWAYS been in ketosis. So I don't think it's the peanuts or the berries.

The thing is I feel thinner, but it's not showing. I don't know if it's the squatting doing that..my ass has definitely changed but there's no way it can be muscle mass gain, I don't do enough for it to be that.

I would be immensely grateful for anyone to have a look at this and tell me what they think. I am desperate and really down about it. Thanks guys
valeche is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hi Valeche,

I am sorry you are struggling!

First of all, PCOS can be one of the factors that make you lose slower.

Second, you say that you are in ketosis, but the urine strips are not accurate, sorry...

So here's what I suggest...

- stop eating Yogurt, stop drinking almond milk, stay away from soy yogurt, stop eating peanuts, stop eating fruits, and stop the protein shakes for now. All these things really add up in terms of carbs, and most of them are not induction foods anyway.

- go back to basics. Eat from the allowed induction list foods, make sure you only eat until not hungry anymore.

- eat plenty of healthy fats such as butter, olive oil, coconut oil, lard and such.

- measure yourself. You may be losing inches!

- keep track of your fluid intake. And drink about half your weight in ounces of water.

- salt is good for you, If you don't have any medical issues related to salt intake, I would not worry about that for now.

We often find that when we do LC after it working before that the things that we did before don't work as well as the first time round. Horrible, but true. At least in my case it was!

I really would advise going way back to induction basics, and give it at least two weeks, and then decide if it works or not. You may be sensitive to things now that were fine before.

Sending hugs, good thoughts and all that and hope your weight will start going down soon!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trismama
Stats: 235/207/160
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: January 6, 2014
I agree with PP on this. You are consuming foods not on the list and that may be the reason for the little to no loss. Just cut those foods out for the time being.
Trismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Hi Valeche,

I am sorry you are struggling!

First of all, PCOS can be one of the factors that make you lose slower.

Second, you say that you are in ketosis, but the urine strips are not accurate, sorry...

So here's what I suggest...

- stop eating Yogurt, stop drinking almond milk, stay away from soy yogurt, stop eating peanuts, stop eating fruits, and stop the protein shakes for now. All these things really add up in terms of carbs, and most of them are not induction foods anyway.

- go back to basics. Eat from the allowed induction list foods, make sure you only eat until not hungry anymore.

- eat plenty of healthy fats such as butter, olive oil, coconut oil, lard and such.

- measure yourself. You may be losing inches!

- keep track of your fluid intake. And drink about half your weight in ounces of water.

- salt is good for you, If you don't have any medical issues related to salt intake, I would not worry about that for now.

We often find that when we do LC after it working before that the things that we did before don't work as well as the first time round. Horrible, but true. At least in my case it was!

I really would advise going way back to induction basics, and give it at least two weeks, and then decide if it works or not. You may be sensitive to things now that were fine before.

Sending hugs, good thoughts and all that and hope your weight will start going down soon!
Thanks for your lovely reply. You're right, and it's a simple solution that I think I am blind to because of my 'well it's worked before' attitude. So I've just binned my berries and soy and I'm going to give it a good 2 weeks stripped back to basics and see if this makes a difference.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Cheering you on, hope that you see some great results soon! xxx
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Cheering you on, hope that you see some great results soon! xxx
Could I also ask you to elaborate on the testing the urine being inaccurate, please? Didn't know this!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Depending on your hydration, ketosticks can show higher or lower or no ketosis, as well as when you become keto adapted, you will probably stop showing on the urine strips, even though you have become a fat burner.
Blood ketone testing is a more accurate way of testing, but it is expensive.

In my opinion, ketostix are definitely a motivator in the beginning, but don't get hung up on the results! Better to keep track of inchloss and weightloss if you want to know if it's working!

xxx