Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: I'm A Loser
Stats: 235/230/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1-17-14
Beating the Cravings in Induction

I lost 45 lbs through excersize in the last two years. I came to realize that the last 15-20 lbs. is only coming off if I diet.

I've been in induction for 4 days.

In those 4 days, I have eaten two teaspoons of peanut butter and have used ketchup very sparingly, measuring and counting the carbs for each. I have not gone over 15 g/day total.

I have lost five pounds so far and I can actually see the difference in my gut.

The Carb cravings are getting pretty bad. Does anyone have any tips for that?

I'm also not sleeping very well. Is that common?

Thanks
I'm A Loser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Welcome! Everybody responds to induction differently, but it could be possible that it might be causing you to not sleep well. I would say that if you give it some time, that could disappear.

They make a sugar free ketchup, I think it's Heinz, that is very low carb and that would be better for you to use than regular ketchup.

I know the cravings can be tough! Eat when you're hungry and focus on all the really great food that you can have. When the cravings are getting bad, try some cheese, hard boiled eggs, bacon, cream cheese, or something like that. I like to chop up some dried beef and green onions and mix it with cream cheese and keep it in the refrig. It's an awesome dip, or I just eat it right off the spoon. It's really really good! You can also make fat bombs if you're really needing something sweet.

Coming here and reading and posting a lot can help too. If I'm feeling like I want to eat something that I shouldn't, I just come here and roam around the forums. It helps keep my head in the right place.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks MG,

I am using the SF Ketchup which saves me a few carbs over the regular stuff.

I really like the looks of those Fat Bombs, that should help, and I'm going to get some cream cheese also and try some of those Cream Cheese Muffins.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FoxyLocks311
Stats: 182/166/135
Start Date: January 6, 2014
I tend to get the munchies after dinner when I am relaxing and watching TV. This might sound weird, but my trick is to brush my teeth after dinner. It keeps me from having cravings and I certainly don't want to eat anything and have to brush again!
FoxyLocks311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the tips.

Last night my cravings were the worst.

I didn't have the ingredients to make Fat Bombs, so I improvised.

I mixed 8 oz of cream cheese, a half a stick of butter, some Stevia, a little olive oil and some unsweetened cocoa in a saucepan and heated it up until it melted. Then I quickly whipped one scrambled egg into it, stirring constantly. When I was sure the egg had cooked, I added a three tblsp. of unsweetened shredded coconut and stirred it well.

I spooned out globs onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet, and stuck it outside for about 20 minutes at 10 degrees.

No it wasn't like eating candy or chocolate, but it was good, surprisingly good, and it satisfied my cravings after only eating one. I put the other 11 in my freezer between layers of wax paper for later.

It was kind of like a harder, yet spongey frozen chocolatte mousse.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miniapplecocoa
Stats: 240.8
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/12/14
Wow super creative

"I'm A" that was a super creative way to deal with the cravings. And congrats on the 5 lb lost. That's great! I'm on day 11 and I'm still feeling cravings. I'm gonna write that recipe down for the next time I'm feeling crazy with craving. Thanks.

Last edited by miniapplecocoa; 01-24-2014 at 09:49 AM..
miniapplecocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurie
As someone who lost 90lbs on atkins and as someone who has just gone back to induction and took off 15lbs in the first week, the main way to stave off cravings is to follow the diet as close to the letter as possible. I know some people can deal with caffeine and not have it be a stall, but if you are stalling, remove caffeine from your diet. Drink herbal teas and seltzer, and avoid diet soda. The second big thing is to set yourself up for success by planning your meals and snacks. Use these boards, try the induction friendly receipes so you can expand your options. The other thing that really works is to monitor your weight loss. Seeing the pounds come off is motivating and will push you through tough times. It is also a good way see if there is anything you ate the day before that has stalled the weightloss so you can avoid whatever you think it is. Good luck!
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trismama
Stats: 220/210/160
WOE: Atkins-Induction
yea those cravings can be killer. I no longer have my carb cravings, but the sugar is what gets me. Thank God for SF chocolate syrup and those cream cheese pancakes! YUMMY!!
Trismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismama View Post
yea those cravings can be killer. I no longer have my carb cravings, but the sugar is what gets me. Thank God for SF chocolate syrup and those cream cheese pancakes! YUMMY!!
Thanks,

I just tried a couple of those cream cheese pancakes, and they were pretty good. I substituted cocoa for the cinnamon, because I didn't have any.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
My saving grace has been cheesecake muffins! I can go through the entire day just fine, but am a habitual night time muncher. Knowing that I can have one or two of these muffins as a treat in the evenings keeps me from derailing and satisfies any cravings. I have noticed that my cravings are strong only IF I deviate from the plan.
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baddabing
Stats: 205.6/169.2/140
Start Date: 1/27/2014
MtherGoos!

I am just lurking a bit trying to refresh before I go shopping for Induction Day 1 when I cam across MtherGoos' signature. Could there be a more motivational signature? I THINK NOT. You rock.

James
Baddabing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah! Thanks so much James! That means a lot to me! I'll hope you'll post more often so that we can continue to motivate and encourage each other!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristee
Stats: restart 2-15-10 140/129/129 GOAL MET 4/28/10
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 1st, 2009 at 167 lbs
Hi everyone. I just started back again yesterday after a few failed attempts at restarting. Cravings are getting me pretty bad right now. I am sooo determined to not cave in this time but all I can think about for the past couple of hours is something SWEET!
Kristee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristee, hang in there!! Once you get past the first few days, it does get so much easier! Have a piece of cheese, or a piece of bacon, something to take your mind off of the sweet stuff. Even a pickle can sometimes work.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
Kristee, hang in there! Make sure you're eating a lot of fat, it really does help.

Just throwing out what has worked for me. I have had a mantra the entire time I've been doing the LC. And it is this: "Not right now. It doesn't mean I will never eat another cookie, or a frappuccino, or a piece of bread, or whatever it is. It just means in this moment I don't need it. When I am ready to have x, y, or z, it will still be there. Just not right now." Sometimes you have to take it moment by moment. And the longer you can do it, the more the cravings go away.

And try to keep busy. Sometimes I wish I knew how to crochet or knit to keep my hands busy! I use pinterest a lot to plan my future wardrobe! I clean out closets, organize stuff. Just keeping busy helps take my mind off of wanting a piece of cake.
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trismama
Stats: 220/210/160
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyspySixpence View Post
Kristee, hang in there! Make sure you're eating a lot of fat, it really does help.

Just throwing out what has worked for me. I have had a mantra the entire time I've been doing the LC. And it is this: "Not right now. It doesn't mean I will never eat another cookie, or a frappuccino, or a piece of bread, or whatever it is. It just means in this moment I don't need it. When I am ready to have x, y, or z, it will still be there. Just not right now." Sometimes you have to take it moment by moment. And the longer you can do it, the more the cravings go away.

And try to keep busy. Sometimes I wish I knew how to crochet or knit to keep my hands busy! I use pinterest a lot to plan my future wardrobe! I clean out closets, organize stuff. Just keeping busy helps take my mind off of wanting a piece of cake.
I love that saying you have. Its honestly what I keep trying to tell myself when I drive past a Popeyes lol
Trismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristee
Stats: restart 2-15-10 140/129/129 GOAL MET 4/28/10
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 1st, 2009 at 167 lbs
Hi everyone,
Thank you for the encouraging words. Yes yes I know everything you say is true because I have been through this a time or two. It is also true what people say about being Harder and Harder as you get older or maybe the body is screwed up from several restarts. Who knows. I did slip up that night and ate popcorn but that is behind me now.
Gyspy... That is exactly what I tell myself. That's what worked before. If I tell myself that I will never be able to have certain things ever again would definitely be setting myself up for failure.
Kristee is offline   Reply With Quote