Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: charmer
Coconut oil- what do you think??

Hi!
I recently posted a sample menu for critique and got lots of excellent feed back! Im now on day 11 and have lost 4.5kg (im Australian, its about 10 pounds-ish) and im stoked! i feel better than ever and have shaked the "induction flu"!

The one biggest tip you guys gave me was to try to incorporate fats into my diet, suggested was cheese, oils and avocados- all of which are now in my menu.

i have been reading about the benefits of adding a bit of coconut oil into a diet such as this, and was wondering what people thought? some articles claim it is the best thing on the market whilst others ar calling it snake oil....
charmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
I love coconut oil! It's a great way for me to up the fat in my diet. I have 3-4 huge cups of green tea each day and I usually put a tablespoon or so in each cup. Sometimes, I even throw a tablespoon into my nightly mug of chamomile tea! I know lots of people like it in their coffee or cook with it. I'm not a coffee drinker. I have used it once in awhile to scramble my eggs in.

I also have been oil pulling with it for the last 16 days. Weird to get used to, but my gums have shown much improvement in that time. I also dab some on this lovely psorasis I have developed on my chin in the last month or so and it helps with that as well. I'm a fan!
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

does it flavour your tea?? i drink black tea mostly so i might try putting a spoonful in!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GyspySixpence
Stats: 194.8/150.8/Restart 174.2 CW: 143.8 GW135 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: June 5, 2012/Restart November 29, 2013
It adds a very mild flavor, but it's pleasant. It doesn't taste coconut-y! I don't put anything in my tea other than the coconut oil. I drank it just plain forever, but started adding it in to boost the fat in my diet.
GyspySixpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I love coconut oil!

My advice is to start with small amounts and work your way up. Some people get strong reactions to coconut oil when they start out using too much at once, as coconut oil has strong antifungal properties.

Also, I use coconut oil instead of other fats, not on top of what I'm already consuming.

I also like oil pulling with coconut oil, like GyspySixpence says, it has really improved my gums too...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
I try to put coconut in everything. Love the stuff. My skin has really improved since I started eating it and I use it directly onto my hair which makes it soft, shiny and manageable. It's great on your skin after a shower or bath too.
No, I don't work for any coconut oil manufacturer or retailer. I just love the energy it gives me.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

It seems too good to be true!!! I'm thinking about using it to up my metabolism, so substituting it for my fats but by the sounds it's good for so many other things! Will definitely be on my shopping list! Thanks guys!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
One more thing: for some people coconut oil does not work, so don't get your hopes up! Like with all fats, you can't eat a gallon and expect it to work magic...

That said, enjoy it, it is delicious!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Make sure it's Organic... Expeller Pressed ... for cooking get the Refined. It can take a higher heat or unrefined for all other purposes. I use it on the frying pan and the refined stuff has less flavor than unrefined so the choice is yours. Wish I could remember where I bought this????
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote