Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Hello All,
WOW !!! Where to start !!! I know I have been MIA for a few days. I have been having family trauma. My sister did have to have another surgery and it went well, this time.She is home hoping for a full recovery. I have had a BAD TOM and that did not help !!! I am 51 when will menopause happen ?? I have HOT flashes. Oh well.So, needless to say I let my WOE slip some. I am back on with a vengeance today.

KATT, I made your breakfast muffins last week. They were great.I am doing some prep cooking today. Hope it helps me through the week.
I hope we all have a great LC day !!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trismama
Stats: 220/210/160
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: January 6, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamityKaTT View Post

I wanted to share a quote I read with you ladies, and anyone else who reads/responds here. I was surfing around looking for a way to make very low carb taquitos when I ran across the following quote.

"Don't sacrifice what you REALLY want for what you MERELY want right now."

This really resonates with me because I'll see something I really think I want to eat but when I compare it with the big picture, most times I can get past that craving.
I love this quote soooo much and words to live by in all aspects of life. I'm using this next time I feel conflicted!
Trismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KalamityKaTT
Stats: 365/311/185
WOE: Low Carb - Induction
Start Date: January 1st 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
Hello All,
WOW !!! Where to start !!! I know I have been MIA for a few days. I have been having family trauma. My sister did have to have another surgery and it went well, this time.She is home hoping for a full recovery. I have had a BAD TOM and that did not help !!! I am 51 when will menopause happen ?? I have HOT flashes. Oh well.So, needless to say I let my WOE slip some. I am back on with a vengeance today.

KATT, I made your breakfast muffins last week. They were great.I am doing some prep cooking today. Hope it helps me through the week.
I hope we all have a great LC day !!!
I'm so glad to hear your sister is on the mend! Always remember, its not the slip that counts but that fact that you came back =D I'm glad you liked the muffins. I still have some in my frige. I still have most of what I've done actually... I think I went over board but I'll continue using it. Meals have been a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismama View Post
I love this quote soooo much and words to live by in all aspects of life. I'm using this next time I feel conflicted!
I'm glad you like it. I know I really do! I was out getting my husband some taquitos from 7-11 and they are a HUGE favorite of mine. I was alone in the car and it was quite tempting but that quote popped into my head. I did good. Not one bite. Instead I went online to find a low carb way of preparing it and am going to give it a shot today I think. I'll keep you all informed of how it turns out.

In the meantime, I found a means of some exercise. Feb 1st, I began to foster for a nearby animal rescue. I received my first four legged baby the same day. He is a massive guy who weighs close to 80 lbs and is all muscle. He takes a LOT of work so training him will keep me really busy. When he was found he weighed about 35 lbs and was on a 3 foot chain attached to a tree, abandoned. He had to be crated throughout his recovery for his own safety so he is nothing if not a pent up tornado bursting to get lose. My job will be to make him adoptable. Luckily he shows zero signs of animal or human aggression. He is an over stuffed teddy bear who needs lots of exercise to channel all that energy. I've had him two days and both days I went to bed wore out. Should be an interesting ride as this is my first time taking in a foster animal. Any one with experience dealing with American Bull Dogs, Large Breeds or animal training.. feel free to offer suggestions. In the meantime, here is my new "ward" and exercise machine James Dean, aka JD.
365 - 2/1/11 ~ 275 - 8/13/11 ~ 90#s in 6 months.

Restart
327 - 1/1/14
First mini goal - 275 lbs
---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by KalamityKaTT; 02-02-2014 at 05:15 PM..
KalamityKaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamityKaTT View Post
I'm so glad to hear your sister is on the mend! Always remember, its not the slip that counts but that fact that you came back =D I'm glad you liked the muffins. I still have some in my frige. I still have most of what I've done actually... I think I went over board but I'll continue using it. Meals have been a breeze.

I'm glad you like it. I know I really do! I was out getting my husband some taquitos from 7-11 and they are a HUGE favorite of mine. I was alone in the car and it was quite tempting but that quote popped into my head. I did good. Not one bite. Instead I went online to find a low carb way of preparing it and am going to give it a shot today I think. I'll keep you all informed of how it turns out.

In the meantime, I found a means of some exercise. Feb 1st, I began to foster for a nearby animal rescue. I received my first four legged baby the same day. He is a massive guy who weighs close to 80 lbs and is all muscle. He takes a LOT of work so training him will keep me really busy. When he was found he weighed about 35 lbs and was on a 3 foot chain attached to a tree, abandoned. He had to be crated throughout his recovery for his own safety so he is nothing if not a pent up tornado bursting to get lose. My job will be to make him adoptable. Luckily he shows zero signs of animal or human aggression. He is an over stuffed teddy bear who needs lots of exercise to channel all that energy. I've had him two days and both days I went to bed wore out. Should be an interesting ride as this is my first time taking in a foster animal. Any one with experience dealing with American Bull Dogs, Large Breeds or animal training.. feel free to offer suggestions. In the meantime, here is my new "ward" and exercise machine James Dean, aka JD.
Good for you Katt! Fostering is a wonderful thing to do and will make exercise fun ~ it is a win-win!
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimuae View Post
Good for you Katt! Fostering is a wonderful thing to do and will make exercise fun ~ it is a win-win!
Thanks so much! It is a daunting task. This is my very first time being a foster parent. I've had at least one dog of my own for most of my adult life, sometimes two. But only with the last 3 or so have I ever bothered to really look and see that they really have they have their own unique personalties and such.

Up until 7 to 10 years ago all my dogs were kept outdoors most of the time. Oh I would try to house break them but had no idea what I was doing and would get frustrated and give up easily. It wasn't until my pedigree Rott (that I'd have for about 10 years at that point) got really ill that I even spent a lot of time with them. I had to nurse her through cancer and was able to spend an extra few years really getting to know her. It was through her illness that I truly opened myself up to seeing all they had to offer as pets/life companions. When her cancer returned and spread to her bones I had to put her needs first, something I'd never done before. Letting her go was devastating to me because she had taught me so much. She changed me from an irresponsible lack luster 'dog owner' into a dog advocate. Since then I only get my four legged friends from rescues or shelters. I still only have 1 dog of my own, a Queensland I found. Then in December I got my boy a Shepard Mix from the SPCA. I want him to learn at a young age about animal responsibility. Besides those two, two of my boys have dogs of their own totaling 6 on my property. Each one is also a rescue. I have a lot of property but figured I better stop acquiring them before I wind up on some embarrassing hoarder show.

So now I thought I'd give fostering a shot. And as I said, it seems daunting as I've always just taken my time and let the dogs personality evolve at their pace. Now I'm more pressed for time because I'd like to get them adoption ready ASAP to maximize the amount of animals I can help. We are on day 3 and I've already seen so much progress that I'm becoming more sure of myself and what I can accomplish. I spend a great deal of time at night reading before I go to bed. I compare training techniques and research problem behaviors in an effort not to let bad habits set in. I'm enjoying this. With each new day I fall harder for this lil (huge understatement here as he is HUGE) guy but I still feel like I'll be able to let him go because when he does leave my care, it will be to someone else who really wants him and I can make room in my heart to start over with another.

Ok.. I see that i've turned this into a long winded rant again... Sorry about that. As you can see, it's become a passion of mine.
__________________________________________________ _____

Oh an entirely different note, I'm still on plan. TOM came to visit on the first of the month so I haven't been to wrapped up in weighing. I always go up a few lbs during this time. Nor have I been stressing to much about portion sizing. I've just been eating on plan and taking each day as it comes. Hopefully in the next day or two I should have my "wooosh" and get back to the task at hand. How is everyone else doing? I'd love to hear from you all!!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Beautifully said ~ I really admire your passion. I used to volunteer for a Rescue group as well as foster Springer Spaniels.... It is exhausting, but so fulfilling ~ Keep up the great work!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Katt, I've never had an American Bulldog, but we do have a couple of Pits, which are very similar. Truly the most loving, loyal, people pleasing dogs I've ever encountered. Our dogs are very much indoor dogs. Sit on our lap while we watch TV, sleep in our bed with us kind of dogs. LOL. You're so inspiring to be a foster Mom! That's awesome!

My Rott is 12 now, and she's going through such a tough time. Her back hips are out and one of her front legs is unusuable, so she hobbles around with only one good leg. The vet says it's advanced degenerative arthritis, and there's just nothing else that they can do for her. There are some days where I wonder if it's time to let her go, but then I'll get home from work, and she'll be so happy to see me that she'll hobble out to the car to greet me, and it makes me think that maybe it's not her time to go quite yet. It's so hard to know. It just sucks that they don't have longer life spans.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

He is beautiful! And its a beautiful thing what you are doing fostering him to make him adoptable. Sure you will do a great job!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doglovingal
Hi everyone,

If you don't mind, I might also join in on this thread? First things first- James Dean is adorable! I have 2 Golden retrievers myself. Dogs are great.

I am not new to Atkins, in fact my story sounds so similar to so many I read on here. I did Atkins probably 11 years ago and lost around 20-30 lbs (I was pretty close to goal at the time). I was going off the Atkins book with the red cover. I went back to my old ways and before I knew it, 10 years and seemingly 1000 diets later, I'm back with renewed commitment and understanding of my body. I just can't do processed carbs.

Day 4 of induction today- not doing the 72 but adhering to the rules from the 2003(?) version. Every now and then I get a little hankering for something sweet, which typically I don't give in to and it passes like a fleeting moment.

Looking to lose 30 lbs initially then we'll see how it goes!
Doglovingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglovingal View Post
Hi everyone,

If you don't mind, I might also join in on this thread? First things first- James Dean is adorable! I have 2 Golden retrievers myself. Dogs are great.

I am not new to Atkins, in fact my story sounds so similar to so many I read on here. I did Atkins probably 11 years ago and lost around 20-30 lbs (I was pretty close to goal at the time). I was going off the Atkins book with the red cover. I went back to my old ways and before I knew it, 10 years and seemingly 1000 diets later, I'm back with renewed commitment and understanding of my body. I just can't do processed carbs.

Day 4 of induction today- not doing the 72 but adhering to the rules from the 2003(?) version. Every now and then I get a little hankering for something sweet, which typically I don't give in to and it passes like a fleeting moment.

First off.....

I mostly keep up with the 2003 version and have been having very good success. For sweets cream cheese, splenda, and vanilla extract all the way. Love it.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Beautifully said ~ I really admire your passion. I used to volunteer for a Rescue group as well as foster Springer Spaniels.... It is exhausting, but so fulfilling ~ Keep up the great work!
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Katt, I've never had an American Bulldog, but we do have a couple of Pits, which are very similar. Truly the most loving, loyal, people pleasing dogs I've ever encountered. Our dogs are very much indoor dogs. Sit on our lap while we watch TV, sleep in our bed with us kind of dogs. LOL. You're so inspiring to be a foster Mom! That's awesome!

My Rott is 12 now, and she's going through such a tough time. Her back hips are out and one of her front legs is unusuable, so she hobbles around with only one good leg. The vet says it's advanced degenerative arthritis, and there's just nothing else that they can do for her. There are some days where I wonder if it's time to let her go, but then I'll get home from work, and she'll be so happy to see me that she'll hobble out to the car to greet me, and it makes me think that maybe it's not her time to go quite yet. It's so hard to know. It just sucks that they don't have longer life spans.
I totally understand your pain and empathize with you. My rot also hip problems. It's a hard place to be in because we love them so much. Good luck to you in this difficult time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismama View Post
He is beautiful! And its a beautiful thing what you are doing fostering him to make him adoptable. Sure you will do a great job!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Hi everyone,

@ Doglovingal: I'm so glad you could join us. You're absolutely welcome. Oh, and cute name by the way! Feel free to jump in any time with any little thing. I hope to see this thread grow =D
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

This is my first time doing "72. I had great success in the 90's with a later version, then got off track for about 16 years, LOL, so it is a little harder to get started again, hence going back to his seminal work and following it word for word.....
Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
Checking in to let you all know that I am still around and haven't forgotten you. I have been busy going grocery shopping which involves going 30+mls just to the store and then running all over to where ever else we have to go.
Today I went to Joanns I had some coupons but it was so crowded that I just could not wait,it's hard when I have my husband along.
Kalamati, you will have a great time with your foster puppy. I love dogs and cats
and when we lived in Visalia we always had a few ( strays mostly ). We lived near a dairy so we were never without Cats either. Now we only have one spoiled Cat and I would turn in to the proverbial Catlady if I had the chance. I am tired now and will wish all a good day and stay strong.

Ever seen a skinny grain eater? ( pig, horse, cow)
Ever seen a fat protein eater? (tiger, leopard, lion)

pickles1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the welcomes!!

Still plugging away at induction although I've been on the road with work for 3 days, staying in hotels and eating at restaurants. Although I can't count carbs exactly, I know myself enough to know I am still cruisin' on induction levels. Which is perfect- I love how *easy* this is, how great it fits into my frequent-travel lifestyle. Anywhere I turn there is always an induction friendly option if I look for it or am creative. Which is why I genuinely think this can stick long-term.

I am familiar with the 72 rules and although I know I'd probably lose faster, for me, it's just too restrictive. I need ma veggies! Meals look more "balanced" if I have a little splash of color in them, even if small. I think for myself, harsh restriction = harsh losses then shortly after= harsh binges on naughty foods. So I'm taking the philosophy... I'll try for 20g/daily, if I get 25g not the end of the world, some days 17g... it all evens out. heck, even 50g would be better then I *was* eating!

Tomorrow I fly back home... expecting about 9 hours in planes/airports. Not worried. I love traveling without stressing about going "off plan".

I get to see my doggies tomorrow!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Where is everyone ? Kalamati are you ok ?
I didn't lose this week but didn't gain either. My clothes sure are sure looser and I may have to get new pants. Hope you are all able to stay on plan. Let us know how your puppy is getting along.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Ughh...... still no movement on the scale despite all signs of ketosis..... I know that I've just got to be patient..... *****tapping foot impatiently*****
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=pickles1010;16796709]I didn't lose this week but didn't gain either. My clothes sure are sure looser and I may have to get new pants. QUOTE]

That is great Monika!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Scale is moving in the right direction and I'm a happy camper, what can I say. I know there will be weeks of adaptation where I don't lose, and thats ok. I'm never going back to the way I was so it doesn't matter. It can only get better from here!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

So sorry... be back VERY soon!!!! I'm well and just totally distracted with life atm. But rest assured, I will be back ASAP.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: javaaddict
Stats: 140/137/120, 5"6
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/12/14
Hi Everyone--
what an inspiration you all are!
I'm an old newbie, and would love to join you all.
A bit about me-- I lost really well on Atkins about 10 yrs ago, and kept it off until I quit smoking (6 when a bit of f it started to creep back on. I'm 41 now, and after a traumatic year,( health issues, a relocation and the end of a relationship) this is the last piece of taking control and moving my life into a positive direction. I began 5 days ago, and the hardest part for me is that I am a vegetarian trying to incorporate some meat, so that I can have some variety have begun by eating some fish and eggs-- today's plan includes a trip to the super market to stock up!
Have a great Sunday everyone!
javaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Java!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone just checking in. Been a long time since I last posted. I'm down 25 pounds and it feels great. How is everyone else??
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Wow Trismama, that is great! 25 lbs is certainly an acheivement
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow Trismama, that is great! 25 lbs is certainly an acheivement
Thanks so much. I have to say it has indeed been a journey. And I can't wait til I reach the finish line!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mrssillymom
Stats: 293/282/190
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/18/2014
Mind if I join in too??

Hi...my story is similar as well to many of you. I lost quite a bit about 10 years ago and then of course I stopped visiting here and life happened and I got busy with the kids etc....went back to school, became a CNA, starting working again and the lbs crept back on steadily. Then I had lots of life changes, divorce, back surgery, got re-married, moved to a new town and honestly all changes were happy ones and I truly am happy in all aspects of life now with the exception of my weight. Tried a bunch of different approaches and lost a few here and there but gained them back and then some more.

Finally this past week just out of curiosity and because I was feeling extra huge I got on the scale, and WHAM I was up to almost 300 lbs.

At that moment I decided I would try to do protein shakes for every meal so I could lose a little quicker and get a jumpstart to boost my motivation. Then I sat and talked to my husband and we talked about everything I have tried and I seemed to always come back to mentioning how well I did on LC and not only did I lose at an excelerated rate but once I got past the first few days I wasn't hungry and cravings dissipated. So with his blessing and encouragement I started....that day.....in the middle of the day!! It was weird because I would always say, "let me make a list, and go shopping and I will start on Monday" Not this time. I am looking at this way differently this time and I really can feel a different mental attitude than I had before.

So, here I am beginning day 4 of induction and I am down 7 lbs!!! I can't tell you how happy I am that I am losing like this again. I was so afraid that all the Yo-yoing I have done in my lifetime had really damaged me, but I just think it is the right time and I am not giving up for nothing!! I want to be healthy, I want to be pain free, and I want to get off the sidelines of life and be an active participant.

I am 47 and I hope that by my 48th birthday in December that I will be so much healthier and fitter than I was even in my 20's.
Mrssillymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Welcome MRSSILLYMOM!! (Great Name btw!!!)

7 lbs in the first week is a great motivator! You're gonna do great!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mrssillymom
Stats: 293/282/190
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/18/2014
Quote:
Welcome MRSSILLYMOM!! (Great Name btw!!!)

7 lbs in the first week is a great motivator! You're gonna do great!
Thanks Nimuae.... I feel so much better already!!
Mrssillymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Hi all.
Where is everyone?'
I lost another 1/2 lb so I am@ 190. I may even make it to the 180sthis month.
Hope you all are still plugging along and staying on plan. See you soon.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Way to go Pickles!

That is my goal as well.... I am down to 191.8, so I may or may not make the cut off for Feb, but darned if I did not give it a good run, LOLOL
Old 02-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles1010 View Post
Hi Kalamati.
I am a recovering carbaholic and getting back on the Atkins WOE. My Husband and I lost a lot of weight back in 2004 and kept it off a long time and slowly put it almost all back on. So here we are. Started on 1-52014. The first week I lost only 1 lb didn't think I was off plan but checked back and found that I ate to many vegetables.I went back to just doing the 72 Induction.By the way, our Daughter lives in Visalia as we did for many Years, my husband was born and raised there .
Y Daughter works for Cigna. She went on Atkins too but not as strictly as us.
Hope to talk to all off the Newbies and will stick to the plan.Nice to meet you all.
I lived in Visalia for a few months back around 1964. Not too many people have heard of it much less have actually lived there. I remember I liked it then but I was 14-15 years old. I pretty much like everywhere we lived.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote