Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Diet and Schedules.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/820738-diet-schedules.html)

Jenuine 01-12-2014 07:40 AM

Diet and Schedules....

Spring semester starts tomorrow! A little background here...I'm a LPN and work full time in a residential PSYCH facility. I am also a full time college student. Right now I am working on my pre-requisites to enter into the LPN/RN bridge program. My long term goal is to obtain my PHD in Philosophy of Psychology Counseling. I plan to work as RN while pursuing my PHD. Last semester was my first time back in school in a looooooooong time and I pulled a 4.0.

Soooooooo any advice balancing LC with this type of schedule would be appreciated. I foresee a lot of planning in my future. lol Why did I wait until I was 40 to start this? :lol:

MtherGoos 01-12-2014 10:11 AM

I would say to try and plan 1 day a week to prep your meals. Just a few hours where you can squeeze it in. Use that time to hard boil eggs, grate your cheese, brown up some ground beef, cook some chicken, mix up some tuna, slice up your veggies if you're eating them, etc. Whatever food is on your plan, get it ready. That way you have no excuses for not staying on plan. You always have something quick and easy to grab.

Be sure not to let your schedule become an excuse for not staying on plan. I made the mistake of doing that for years. We own our own business and work at least 6 days a week for 11-12 hours each day. For years I used that as an excuse for not staying on plan, but I shouldn't have. I was finding time to eat, so I might as well find the time to eat on plan foods. If we have to go out to eat, then we do it, but I only eat foods that are on plan when we eat out. Even if that means grabbing some McDoubles at McDonalds with no buns, no ketchup, and no onions. You'll be finding time to eat, so just make sure that if you have to grab something, you grab something that is on plan. I've noticed that a lot of convenience stores lately are even carrying hard boiled eggs and 1 oz slices of cheddar cheese. It's definitely doable even if you don't have time to cook.

pulchritudinous_j 01-13-2014 02:40 PM

I agree with Mthrgoose!

Mondays are my only "day off" from nursing school AND work, so I take time to prep as much as possible for the next week. I baggie up HB eggs for breakfasts, cut up veggies for snacks, make a homemade veggie dip, slap casseroles together for dinners, etc

You can do it. :-)

chelseybelle27 01-14-2014 04:54 AM

I agree, prep is key. I am a RN and I work nights so I know how busy it can be. Im sure topped with school its totally crazy busy! I am usually off the weekends, so I prep then. I have my crockpot, george foreman, stovetop and oven going at the same time! A roast, chicken wings, marinated chicken, and cheeseburger seem to be my go to staples. I also always have those steamfresh bags of veggies to just pop in the microwave for my veggies or I throw some in the crock pot with my meats. When I was in nursing school, I successfully did LC for over 4 months. I would find the microwave in the cafeteria or teacher's lounge (I just asked and they could care less ;) ) and heated up my leftovers between classes. I have found struggles working nights and as a nurse because we are just so busy all the time all we really have time for is snacking, but I make it a point to take a lunch, and if I cannot I will take cheese sticks, SF jello, slim jims, pepperonis, atkins bars, whatever I can in my locker to stay on track!

Best of luck to you in LC success and school! :)

emily1 02-11-2014 08:58 PM

I have been going to school non-stop for the last 8 years. All I can say is... do not let yourself get hungry while studying because you wont be able to focus. So I totally agree, preplan that stuff if you can. Prepack low carb snacks with you. Even if it isn't a full meal, it will prevent you from getting off track. School stress is the worst. I find that the hardest thing for myself is not eat too much junk before exams etc. The last time I had gone off track was when I ate a burger and fries just to keep studying...which turned into a month of binging on stuff. Hang in there! Sounds like you have some amazing life changes ahead of you. I always get excited for people when they go back to school. Learning is such a rewarding process. :)

Doglovingal 02-13-2014 03:28 PM

Another RN chiming in here. Honestly it's been a lot easier then anticipated. Once you feel the ketosis all hunger flies away and it's super easy to resist nursing station goodies. I'm also going to school now for my doctorate so mega stress... I find sipping on teas & other drinks helps vs nibble. Mainly for a psychological soother vs being actually hungry or thirsty. Good luck :)

Willgirl 02-13-2014 09:32 PM

I used stress and lack of time as an excuse for the first 2 1/2 years of my PhD and I gained a lot of weight. I am a full time PhD student in the middle of comprehensive exams and a major research project. I decided if I could do it this semester I could never use stress and business as an excuse again. One key is to find food you really like that isn't too time consuming and always cook extra. I make either cut up chicken or ground beef with Mexican spices and make a lot at one time...still doesn't take long. Then I have prewashed and cut lettuce in a bag, grated cheese in a bag, and a jar of salsa...that make yummy taco salads (minus the taco) for a few dinners with really only 20 minutes of cooking. Also, don't feel bad buying some low carb but easy things like the BBQ chickens they sell in grocery stores, bacon you can microwave, a salami that is already cut, precut cheese slices etc. It gets easier as you discover more quick and tasty ways to feed yourself. For me, it is going better than I thought. Partially because I'm not hungry and I wake up easier and have more energy which is a big trade off! Ordering a quarter pounder without ketchup and not eating the bun won't kill if you only do it once in awhile!...Also if you are going into academia seriously have plans in place for out of town conferences. They pop up a lot and they can really be a problem for staying on track!

Mrssillymom 02-24-2014 08:22 AM

I am with everyone else here that prepping your weekly food is going to be key in success and staying on track. Taking a few hours to do this one day a week is worth it considering the consequences that can come from not staying on plan. Best of luck in school!! You can do it!! :)