Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   What can I do with belly pork? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/820682-what-can-i-do-belly-pork.html)

Blakeich 01-11-2014 08:32 AM

What can I do with belly pork?

Hi there I am doing the Atkins/lowcarb diet and I was wanting to know I have bought some belly pork. But what can I do to make it better and tasty and what can I have it with? Anybody got any ideas

pulchritudinous_j 01-11-2014 08:01 PM

Maybe put it in the crock pot and shred for LC "tacos"? I'll use fatty cuts of meat and top with lettuce, salsa, sour cream, avacado, etc...
Not too familiar with that particular cut...sorry!

FrodoSkywalker 01-19-2014 10:14 PM

Wow..great question as I too have just bought a yummy looking pork belly. I have been looking up ways to prepare it online and think I am going to go with a good seasoning rub and a slow roast to crisp up the fatty outer layer and make the inside tender and serve with greens to balance the fat.

Tiggy 02-01-2014 01:22 PM

Yum, I love pork belly!

My favourite, is to roadt it on top of sliced fennel and topped with a few tablespoons of fennel seeds and salt/pepper. I leave it in the fridge overnight, topped with loads of salt and paper towel to dry out the skin, remove it from the fridge about 2hrs before cooking. I then clean the salt off and put a new layer on along with the pepper and fennel all pushed into the deep scores. Into a hot oven (240c for about 15min, depending on how big your slice is, mine is about 1kg). Then drop down to 180c for another hour or two, depending on how it is going along. Serve with the roasted fennel and cauli mash.

Chinese style - coat with five spice, soy sauce, lc oyster sauce, chilli flakes, liquid stevia (to replace the honey) and garlic. Marinate overnight and roast for a long time at a lower heat to make it fall apart. Serve with stiry-fry or steamed pak choi etc.

Other recipes - check out the BBC Good Food recipe search for many more options, or Delicious Magazine.

Nimuae 02-03-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggy (Post 16782480)
Yum, I love pork belly!

My favourite, is to roadt it on top of sliced fennel and topped with a few tablespoons of fennel seeds and salt/pepper. I leave it in the fridge overnight, topped with loads of salt and paper towel to dry out the skin, remove it from the fridge about 2hrs before cooking. I then clean the salt off and put a new layer on along with the pepper and fennel all pushed into the deep scores. Into a hot oven (240c for about 15min, depending on how big your slice is, mine is about 1kg). Then drop down to 180c for another hour or two, depending on how it is going along. Serve with the roasted fennel and cauli mash.

Chinese style - coat with five spice, soy sauce, lc oyster sauce, chilli flakes, liquid stevia (to replace the honey) and garlic. Marinate overnight and roast for a long time at a lower heat to make it fall apart. Serve with stiry-fry or steamed pak choi etc.

Other recipes - check out the BBC Good Food recipe search for many more options, or Delicious Magazine.

Oh wow, that sounds yummy