Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Simplykendra
Stats: Start 247/235/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 13
Stalling? Gaining? Here are some things that I was doing wrong.

So I have decided to pass some of the wisdom on that I learned from you fine folks, as well as trial and error. I did atkins 5 years ago to lose 70 lbs and I'm currently trying to lose regained weight from having a baby. I gained back 60 lbs and am down 24 or so now. I have struggled with stalls, not getting into ketosis and even gaining. If you are going through the same thing, please read.

Foods that absolutely are not induction friendly, that people still seem to eat anyway:

Peanut butter (no, not even the natural kind)
Alcohol (May read 0 carbs, but still effects blood sugar levels)
Ketchup (sugar!)
BBQ sauce (sugar!)
Tomatoes
Nuts
Beef jerky (tons of carbs and sugars)
Sugar free pudding, ice cream, cookies, ect

Things I eliminated and did to help push weight loss:

I kept my coffee intake to one cup per day, and two Splenda or truvia packets a day. I don't use flavored creamers even if they are sugar free. I only used heavy whipping cream in small amounts.

I stopped skipping meals. I have two small kids, own my own buisness and stay at home at the same time. My free time is non existent. I however make sure I eat three full meals a day, and that my carbs come from good veggies.

Dump the atkins products. This diet was never supposed to be based on packaged food. Eat clean. Lifestyle over convenience.

Water water water!! I drink at min 48-138 ounces of water. Your urine should be clear or light yellow, not dark. Try to limit additives for
Flavor. You will get used to the taste.

Adding a pat of butter or olive oils to veggies seems to boost my weight loss.

I still have stalls. It took me a year to lose my first 70 lbs, even working out 3 days a week at the gym. I know some of you are pros at this, but I wanted to share with you what helped me. Hopefully it's advice someone needs.

Simplykendra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mzjudi
thanks simplykendra

I was surprised to see tomatoes on your list. With a salad I usually put one or two small ones. I love good balsamic, but after checking the carbs I decided to skip while dieting. Boo hoo. There are 3 sugars in 1 tbs. I'll stick to Cardini's original Italian dressing, no sugar no carbs in 2 tbs.

I just started a week ago and lost 41/2 lbs the first 5 days then started adding on again. So finished with 4 lbs off for the week. Will really watch everything I put in my mouth.
mzjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
One of my mistakes when I first started LC eating was just assuming the carb content of certain veggies was low. Often my assumptions proved to be wrong. I learned I need to look up the number of carbs for every single thing I eat. Therefore my tip would be 'check your numbers before eating'.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
It depends on which version of Atkins you're doing. On Atkins 72, tomatoes are not allowed on Induction.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvetj79
Stats: 168.5/159.5/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 29, 2013
Thanks for the information. Everyone is different and I am sure this helps others.
yvetj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Excellent advice!

Those prepacked low "Net Carb" products do cause a lot of stalling, aside from being not very tasty, expensive and will almost certainly cause gas (gas=bloating).

If you HAVE to have something sweet, mix 1 or 2 ounces of cream cheese with a half a packet of Stevia and a drop of orange or peppermint extract.
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
Good stuff Kendra. I've been doing pretty well this time. Alcohol has slowed my weight loss in the past too. This time around I have had zero alcohol and have noticed the difference. I will occasionally have nuts as a snack, but have definitely reduced the use of Atkins bars. Excluding the bars has also made a difference. I will allow for the occasional use of ketchup or something like that, but those once in a blue moon deviations haven't seemed to slow me down much.
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote