Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   HOW I LOST 50 lbs IN 4 MONTHS (200 - 150) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/819238-how-i-lost-50-lbs-4-months-200-150-a.html)

SkinnyB212 12-22-2013 02:18 PM

HOW I LOST 50 lbs IN 4 MONTHS (200 - 150)

I cannot believe that just 4 months ago, in August 2013, I was 200 lbs...now 4 months later, I am 150 with just 20 lbs to go before I reach my ultimate goal of 130!

I also battle with low thyroid, so it was super difficult having to avoid certain foods that would actually cause me to get bloated & gain weight.

Here is what I did & hopefully, by sharing I can help someone else:

1. I counted carbs & did not eat over 30g carbs daily.
2. I watched my sodium intake
3. I counted calories and did not eat over 1500 calories a day
4. I drank 8 glasses of water daily
5. I did NOT eat cabbage or kale or "crack slaw" since it made me bloated
6. I did NOT eat fat bombs, as they also caused me to gain
7. I tried to stick to organic & healthy foods (no junk food or fast food)
8. I workout 4 mornings on an empty stomach for 30 -45 minutes.
9. I did not eat anything after 7pm.

Please share any successful tips, if you have also lost over 40 lbs :)

princessmommy 12-22-2013 02:41 PM

Wow! You've done Awesome!!!

charitysmom1029 12-22-2013 03:18 PM

Wow you have done a great job.

pulchritudinous_j 12-22-2013 03:24 PM

Your weight loss is phenomenal!!!

SkinnyB212 12-22-2013 07:00 PM

Thanks for the support

Thanks guys. I could not have done this without the support of this group. When I needed advice or tips on how to get back on track, this group was amazing. Now I must have "body dysmorphia" since I am still reaching for my "fat clothes" and cannot believe when I fit into my size 6-8 clothes!
My closet has everything from size 4 to 16!

CherylB 12-22-2013 07:16 PM

Awesome! Way to smoke the plan. KUTGW. Merry Christmas!

Shrinking 12-22-2013 08:50 PM

Thanks for sharing! Those are some really good tips. I'm going to work hard to incorporate those into my plan. I hate counting calories but then maybe that's why I have a weight problem!!!

Can you tell us what your workouts involved? I just realized I need to rev up my metabolism and I've gone back to the gym (I've had a free membership to my city's biggest, best gym and I haven't set foot in there in a year and a half!)

Avaleigh 12-22-2013 10:40 PM

Amazing job. : )

Avaleigh 12-22-2013 10:41 PM

What are your thoughts on caffeine? Do you think it's ok, or should I start keeping away from it?

DairyQueen 12-23-2013 08:37 AM

TERRIFIC JOB!!!

SkinnyB212 12-23-2013 11:41 AM

Exercise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrinking (Post 16727016)
Thanks for sharing! Those are some really good tips. I'm going to work hard to incorporate those into my plan. I hate counting calories but then maybe that's why I have a weight problem!!!

Can you tell us what your workouts involved? I just realized I need to rev up my metabolism and I've gone back to the gym (I've had a free membership to my city's biggest, best gym and I haven't set foot in there in a year and a half!)

My exercise is pretty simple, as I just need to move for over 30 minutes to burn fat.
I usually jog slowly or powerwalk with 8lb ankle weights for 30-45 minutes, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If I get bored jogging or walking, or if it's bad weather, I will do an exercise DVD. The point is not what you do, but to consistently do it, no ifs ands or buts. Every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I am exercising. For me doing 4 days in a row helps to keep me motivated. Plus I get the treat of the weekend off plus Monday of no exercise!

SkinnyB212 12-23-2013 11:44 AM

Caffeine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avaleigh (Post 16727047)
What are your thoughts on caffeine? Do you think it's ok, or should I start keeping away from it?

Caffeine triggers hunger and causes overeating.
If you are going to have coffee, then best to do it before a meal, since you are going to eat any way. However, drinking coffee late in the day leads to hunger and carb craving.

Avaleigh 12-24-2013 12:23 AM

Thanks for the info Skinny :)

SkinnyB212 12-24-2013 09:49 AM

CHRISTMAS EVE SMOOTHIE (low carb)

1 Attachment(s)
...just 10g carbs, filling & tastes like a milkshake...plus kids love it!

Coconut milk unsweetened, coconut oil, avocado, Flaxeed, vanilla whey protein 2g carb max, ice.

Leo41 12-24-2013 10:04 AM

I think the coffee issue is very individual. I drink A LOT of coffee (advice from my endo), and I find it's very satisfying and helps control my appetite. The difference may be that I drink it black--no cream, no sweetener.

I, too, have thyroid issues, and not only am I post-menopausal, but my endo believes that I have a 'genetically slow metabolism." When I began my weight loss, he told me that only two things will 'rev' my metabolism--exercise and caffeine.

I was already exercising regularly, and coffee has always been one of my daily pleasures. However, I increased my caffeine with both more coffee and green tea. The hot liquids always seem to help me.

MtherGoos 12-24-2013 11:51 AM

I agree, the caffeine is a very individual issue. I too drink a lot of caffeine. I consume diet pepsi all through out my day and it doesn't effect my hunger or cause cravings. I think it's one of those YMMV things, you just have to see how it affects your own body. I've lost 115 pounds since February, so I'm thankful that it doesn't slow me down any. I'm not ready to give it up! LOL

Trismama 12-29-2013 09:57 PM

Congrats!! I'm starting Atkins full blown after the New Years and can only pray to see your amazing results!

NoSunNoFun 12-30-2013 05:58 AM

Did you or are you taking any suplements? Rasberry ketones ect?

SkinnyB212 01-01-2014 11:07 AM

No supplements

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSunNoFun (Post 16733751)
Did you or are you taking any suplements? Rasberry ketones ect?

The only thing I take is a multi-vitamin!
Those supplements do not work.
Eating the right foods & exercising is the only way to lose weight.

Simplykendra 01-04-2014 02:06 PM

That is awesome!! I am so happy for you. You look beautiful! :)

Vino643 01-06-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyB212 (Post 16726966)
Thanks guys. I could not have done this without the support of this group. When I needed advice or tips on how to get back on track, this group was amazing. Now I must have "body dysmorphia" since I am still reaching for my "fat clothes" and cannot believe when I fit into my size 6-8 clothes!
My closet has everything from size 4 to 16!

You did quite nicely yourself! :)

It's day 1 for me. starting at 240 (quit tobacco use 6 weeks ago)

Vino643 01-06-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trismama (Post 16733589)
Congrats!! I'm starting Atkins full blown after the New Years and can only pray to see your amazing results!

I'm right there with you! 1st day, today :)

AmberLPN 01-07-2014 06:09 PM

I love that i decided to join the board again.

As everyone knows, getting support from people is really really hard and somewhat lonely at times. I find myself having to stay away from friends most of the time because their lifestyle doesn't compliment mine as far as drinking, emotional eating, blah blah blah. Glad to know we can all find support in each other here :)

SkinnyB212 01-10-2014 09:18 AM

Hang in there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberLPN (Post 16746815)
I love that i decided to join the board again.

As everyone knows, getting support from people is really really hard and somewhat lonely at times. I find myself having to stay away from friends most of the time because their lifestyle doesn't compliment mine as far as drinking, emotional eating, blah blah blah. Glad to know we can all find support in each other here :)

You must be strong & stay focused. As Oprah says, "surround yourself only with people who will lift you higher". Some "friends" are not true friends if they do not support your desire to be healthier & lose weight. Those friends may be jealous or envious and fear that once you get smaller, you will look better than them & garner more attention. These same friends will tell you you are crazy, try to sabotage your diet or tell you you are getting too thin, just to stop you from reaching your goals. Find people who support your goals.
This blog is great.

jnengland 01-10-2014 01:20 PM

Your post is very encouraging! I also struggle with hypothyroidism (diagnosed at 21, 13 years ago). I am currently 208 (215 at start of induction). It feels so hopeless to battle thyroid disease while trying to lose weight. Low-carb is giving me hope!

caseyglew 01-11-2014 05:03 AM

Menus

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyB212 (Post 16726758)
I cannot believe that just 4 months ago, in August 2013, I was 200 lbs...now 4 months later, I am 150 with just 20 lbs to go before I reach my ultimate goal of 130!

I also battle with low thyroid, so it was super difficult having to avoid certain foods that would actually cause me to get bloated & gain weight.

Here is what I did & hopefully, by sharing I can help someone else:

1. I counted carbs & did not eat over 30g carbs daily.
2. I watched my sodium intake
3. I counted calories and did not eat over 1500 calories a day
4. I drank 8 glasses of water daily
5. I did NOT eat cabbage or kale or "crack slaw" since it made me bloated
6. I did NOT eat fat bombs, as they also caused me to gain
7. I tried to stick to organic & healthy foods (no junk food or fast food)
8. I workout 4 mornings on an empty stomach for 30 -45 minutes.
9. I did not eat anything after 7pm.

Please share any successful tips, if you have also lost over 40 lbs :)

Did you watch your protein to fat ratio at all???? Could you also give some sample menus that you felt were effective!!

Thanks

NoSunNoFun 01-11-2014 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnengland (Post 16751392)
Your post is very encouraging! I also struggle with hypothyroidism (diagnosed at 21, 13 years ago). I am currently 208 (215 at start of induction). It feels so hopeless to battle thyroid disease while trying to lose weight. Low-carb is giving me hope!

jnengland, are you also on facebook? If so I have also found some amazing friends out there that are also low carbing and sites that have great advice, recipes and photos. There is much hope, help and support around.

Your doing great just stick with it and visit often. If you want to add me as a facebook friend just let me know :) More support the better!

TEAMWORK!! :)

SkinnyB212 01-12-2014 08:19 AM

** SAMPLE MENU ** ...what you eat in private, you wear in public

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseyglew (Post 16752041)
Did you watch your protein to fat ratio at all???? Could you also give some sample menus that you felt were effective!!

Thanks

You cannot fool the body into hiding what you eat!
"What you eat in private you wear in public"

I only ate organic foods...no junk food.
Contrary to popular belief, organic foods do not have to "break the bank" and can be found at Target. Organic means that they are naturally produced, ie, no preservatives or additives. The additives & "extra stuff" that is added to foods will pack on the pounds, since they are unnatural & the body does not digest it, so stores it as fat.

Sample breakfast:
- 24 oz water bottle before meal
- Egg white omlette with spinach & low sodium bacon & feta cheese.
OR. Low carb smoothie (see Yummly for recipes)

Sample lunch
- 24 oz water bottle before meal
- Arugala or Romaine lettuce salad with handful of cherry tomatoes & a couple slices of cucumber, with 6oz chicken breast or 6oz steak. Dressing = Blue cheese dressing (2 tsp) OR Olive oil & red wine vinegar

Sample Dinner
- 24 oz water bottle before meal (may add Crystal light)
- 6oz steak or 2 hamburger patties or 6oz grilled salmon
Plus sautéed asparagus or spinach

Snack
- 10-15 semi sweet dark chocolate chips. OR 100 calorie nuts snack pack
- earl grey tea with cream

SkinnyB212 01-12-2014 08:38 AM

Hypothyroidism

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnengland (Post 16751392)

I have hypothyroidism also.
You can do it!

Aimee 01-14-2014 02:25 PM

I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!! Congrats girl! You are a great inspiration!