Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nix989
Stats: 178/168/140
WOE: LC, IF
Start Date: 01/06/2014
Truly Inspirational

I was searching online for a green smoothie recipe which was suitable for low carb when I found your story, really inspired me as I was lacking a way of getting in all the veggies I "should" have been eating, now seeing how wonderfully you've done and with such great results - I am on it as of tomorrow!

Keep up the good work!
nix989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LUCYSMOMMY
Stats: 225/225/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 03/23/2010
amazing -well done
LUCYSMOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/188/145
WOE: trying to figure it out, it changes
Start Date: January 18 2014
you are a super inspiration!

I started at 198 and after 11 days on Atkins induction, I have lost 6.6lbs. My goal is to see 130-150 but right now if I see the 170's I will be elated! I am finding the diet the easiest that I have ever tried, maybe this will ACTUALLY work for me. I am hypothyroid and PCOS, I need a very low carb diet to get my insulin under control. Last year, I started low carbing but I was also eating low fat and I felt hungry and unsatisfied most of the time, it led me to need cheat days to get me through the week and I wasn't really losing the weight. Anyways, eating fat is helping me feel full and happy and I am not even craving anything. Also, my biggest accomplishment so far is that I haven't had any sweeteners, artificial or natural (stevia, xylitol), I have never done this before.

Question for you, have you had any signs of ketosis? have you had any cheat days at all?

best of luck to you with the next 20!
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSunNoFun
Stats: 157.5/142.2/135.0 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post
I started at 198 and after 11 days on Atkins induction, I have lost 6.6lbs. My goal is to see 130-150 but right now if I see the 170's I will be elated! I am finding the diet the easiest that I have ever tried, maybe this will ACTUALLY work for me. I am hypothyroid and PCOS, I need a very low carb diet to get my insulin under control. Last year, I started low carbing but I was also eating low fat and I felt hungry and unsatisfied most of the time, it led me to need cheat days to get me through the week and I wasn't really losing the weight. Anyways, eating fat is helping me feel full and happy and I am not even craving anything. Also, my biggest accomplishment so far is that I haven't had any sweeteners, artificial or natural (stevia, xylitol), I have never done this before.

Question for you, have you had any signs of ketosis? have you had any cheat days at all?

Congrats!! Way to go I can go into Ketosis with less than 24 hours when I eat very clean and drink tons of water. The next day I check on the little stick and I am good to go! But you have to eat really clean. I will cheat normally once every 2 or 3 weeks then restart. But it does set you back and sometimes the guilt is hard to process so you have to think is it worth it? Sometimes I have to say yes cause I have good days and bad. One thing that is hard for me cuase I have a very stressfull job is giving up my booze. It helps but does slow down the loss. Its a life style so I am okay with what works for me for life Post, ask and send any updates! We are all here for support and no one is perfect.
NoSunNoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSunNoFun View Post
Congrats!! Way to go I can go into Ketosis with less than 24 hours when I eat very clean and drink tons of water. The next day I check on the little stick and I am good to go! But you have to eat really clean. I will cheat normally once every 2 or 3 weeks then restart. But it does set you back and sometimes the guilt is hard to process so you have to think is it worth it? Sometimes I have to say yes cause I have good days and bad. One thing that is hard for me cuase I have a very stressfull job is giving up my booze. It helps but does slow down the loss. Its a life style so I am okay with what works for me for life Post, ask and send any updates! We are all here for support and no one is perfect.
NoSun, I hear you about the alcohol. In the past, I have always had a couple of drinks whie on Atkins. Although my eating was on point, I did notice that it slowed my loss. This time around I haven't had anything to drink and I have noticed a significant difference. Like you said though, it's all about developing a routine that works for you.
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*150*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
Cheat days & Ketosis

Quote:

Thanks for the support.
Yes, I have "cheat days", which are usually 2x a month 'date nights' with hubby or 'girls night out'. I usually gain 2-3 lbs on the scale the next day, then have to stay super low carb (under 10g per day) until I start losing again.

With regards to ketosis, this sticks never worked for me or were indicative of whether I would lose or not. I think certain medications may alter one's urine, whether it be thyroid meds or other meds, so I stopped using or relying on the sticks. I know if my tongue is pasty in the morning or I am urinating a lot, then I am in ketosis and rely on that.

Hope this helps.

Ps. January has been tough for me, as I went crazy over the holidays, so basically spent January getting back to 150!
I am refocused and know I can lose 20 by March to reach my goal!

I WILL NOT GIVE UP
Nov 01, 2013 - 170
Dec 01, 2013 - 160
Jan 01, 2014 - 155
Feb 01, 2014 - 150
Mar 01, 2014 - 145
May 01, 2014 - 140!
Sept 21, 2014 - 150 (time to get back on track)

Last edited by SkinnyB212; 01-30-2014 at 01:37 PM..
SkinnyB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

thanks ladies! I am super inspired! by the way you are all sooo pretty!

I have been listening to long lectures from professors about ketosis and they usually say the ketostix are not reliable, the best way to test is to test the blood. I am not sure if I am in ketosis (I am on day 14 of induction) yet, but I guess I keep thinking that if I am doing what I should does it even matter? because I can't do much about it. I guess I could bring my carbs down to 10 or less and eat less protein but I don't think I am ready to do that anyways. I believe that if this diet doesn't work for me then forget it, nothing will. Wish me luck!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

a question for you all~

is anyone troubled by ketosis halitosis? how do you manage it?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Wish, I just drink a lot. As long as I've constantly got a drink, I can keep the bad breath at bay. I really only notice it in the morning, or if I've had to go a couple of hours without taking a drink.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyB212 View Post
I cannot believe that just 4 months ago, in August 2013, I was 200 lbs...now 4 months later, I am 150 with just 20 lbs to go before I reach my ultimate goal of 130!

I also battle with low thyroid, so it was super difficult having to avoid certain foods that would actually cause me to get bloated & gain weight.

Here is what I did & hopefully, by sharing I can help someone else:

1. I counted carbs & did not eat over 30g carbs daily.
2. I watched my sodium intake
3. I counted calories and did not eat over 1500 calories a day
4. I drank 8 glasses of water daily
5. I did NOT eat cabbage or kale or "crack slaw" since it made me bloated
6. I did NOT eat fat bombs, as they also caused me to gain
7. I tried to stick to organic & healthy foods (no junk food or fast food)
8. I workout 4 mornings on an empty stomach for 30 -45 minutes.
9. I did not eat anything after 7pm.

Please share any successful tips, if you have also lost over 40 lbs
Fantastic job!
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
a question for you all~

is anyone troubled by ketosis halitosis? how do you manage it?
Drink plenty of water ~ Add fresh parsley to my meals, and I keep a nice little mint plant on my desk, so I often pluck a leaf to chew on.

Fennel seeds are great breath fresheners as well -
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
I am copying this and posting it on my refrigerator to help me be focused!!! I will be happy with just 8 lbs. a month.
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
Wow this is a very encouraging, congrats Skinny! I'm trying to get reconnected again to sticking to Atkins because it worked in the past, but I didn't stick with it to make it to goal. I'd like to get to 150-something as an initial goal, then evaluate from there.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jacki
Stats: 227/197/127
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
I cannot believe that just 4 months ago, in August 2013, I was 200 lbs...now 4 months later, I am 150 with just 20 lbs to go before I reach my ultimate goal of 130!

I also battle with low thyroid, so it was super difficult having to avoid certain foods that would actually cause me to get bloated & gain weight.

Here is what I did & hopefully, by sharing I can help someone else:

1. I counted carbs & did not eat over 30g carbs daily.
2. I watched my sodium intake
3. I counted calories and did not eat over 1500 calories a day
4. I drank 8 glasses of water daily
5. I did NOT eat cabbage or kale or "crack slaw" since it made me bloated
6. I did NOT eat fat bombs, as they also caused me to gain
7. I tried to stick to organic & healthy foods (no junk food or fast food)
8. I workout 4 mornings on an empty stomach for 30 -45 minutes.
9. I did not eat anything after 7pm.

Please share any successful tips, if you have also lost over 40 lbs
SO INSPIRED!!!!!
Jacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Hang in there everyone!
Sometimes it just takes longer for the weight to fall off.
It is so frustrating, since we all try so hard and then want to see results on the scale.
I am finally seeing some progress on the scale & am motivated to reach my 140 goal in March.
I do really hope it warms up soon, so that I may begin my morning jogs again. This winter & sub zero temps have halted my workouts & stalled my weigh loss. I find that slow jogging takes off the weight the best. I gain too much muscle when I do workout DVDs and the scale goes up! I will not do any workout DVDs or weight training until I reach my 140 goal. For now I will just power walk or jog slowly in the mornings.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I am losing but about a pound a week. Thinking of doing a fast. My carbs are induction level and drinking over 64 oz of water a day.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

What type of fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
I am losing but about a pound a week. Thinking of doing a fast. My carbs are induction level and drinking over 64 oz of water a day.
What type of fast...juice fast? Water fast?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
What type of fast...juice fast? Water fast?
Water. I think it helps.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I agree, the caffeine is a very individual issue. I too drink a lot of caffeine. I consume diet pepsi all through out my day and it doesn't effect my hunger or cause cravings. I think it's one of those YMMV things, you just have to see how it affects your own body. I've lost 115 pounds since February, so I'm thankful that it doesn't slow me down any. I'm not ready to give it up! LOL

I am in awe and inspired by your results, MtherGoos! Congratulations on all of your success!
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
I am in awe and inspired by your results, MtherGoos! Congratulations on all of your success!
Thank you very much! I appreciate the kind words and the support!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nevis
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 3/9/14
You are an inspiration. Great Tips.
Nevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

** WHY YOU MAY GAIN WEIGHT AFTER WORKING OUT **

This explains a lot & will give me the motivation to keep going & NOT be so focused on what the scale says, but rather my measurements & inches lost off my waist, thighs, hips, legs, arms!

"Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan"

By Chalene Johnson (fitness expert)

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It�s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

When to be concerned:
If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) that does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! Your food (or calorie-laden beverages). News flash, friends� exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight!

So if after two weeks you are not losing weight and have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. Start using ***********'s Nutrition Tracker regularly, and be honest.

Moral of the story:
Be patient young grass hopper. You'll be lean and mean in no time!"
Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hm8119
You inspired me thanks for posting your story I just found this forum yesterday and I'm so happy to read our story today I'm hypothyroid also and I have 2 kids I started Atkins before a month and I lose about 7lb in the first 2 weeks then I gain it again but I'll continue cause I tried every thing else and nothing work with me I walked for 20-30 min 4 days a week also but I don't count calories I eat butter and coconut oil and mayo and olive oil cause it's allowed in Atkins maybe that was my problem.
Do u think I have to eat less fat? Will it work if I do that I know Atkins depends on fat and protein..
Thanks again and I hope I can reach my goal within 2 months...
hm8119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Hm8119 -
I just focused on making sure my carbs were under 20g and not eating more than 1500 calories. For me, and for others with thyroid issues, "eating clean" is important, meaning, low sodium, no fast food or lots of preservatives. You can find healthy & organic food at Target or Walmart, so cost is not an issue. Whole Foods would be the best, if you can splurge. Chicken breasts, steaks, tuna, egg white omlettes, stirfry spinach or buk choy, organic lettuce, avocado, tomatoes..all were staples in my diet. No heavy sauces or dressing. i used low sodium marinades or sauces for my meats & made sure they were low carb. Stay away from fast food! McDonalds, Burger King etc, all put tons of fillers & junk in their meat patties, so even without the bun, you are not eating low carb.

Last edited by SkinnyB212; 02-23-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

One more thing, when eating out, stay away from chicken wings, unless you can see the carb count on the menu. Many places add extra sugar to the sauce, so the wings are NOT low carb!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for replying and I'm trying all my best to eat clean but i can't find organic things as much as it in US and Canada I'm living in middle east.. Can u or any one tell us if it's OK to add coconut oil. And butter to our food as we hypothyroidism? And I do eat fat bomb sometimes is that wrong?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm8119 View Post
Thanks for replying and I'm trying all my best to eat clean but i can't find organic things as much as it in US and Canada I'm living in middle east.. Can u or any one tell us if it's OK to add coconut oil. And butter to our food as we hypothyroidism? And I do eat fat bomb sometimes is that wrong?
I use olive oil instead of butter.
Coconut oil is good or you.
Occasional fat bombs are ok, like once a month for me (during PMS)!

God luck
Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mrssillymom
Stats: 293/282/190
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/18/2014
Lots of great information SkinnyB12....You have done amazing and Thanks for sharing your tips and your journey. I too have hypothyroid and I have done LC before and lost considerable amount of weight only to gain it back and struggle with other diet plans. Came back to LC 1 week ago and I am down 11 lbs. I too have given up most processed foods and try to eat as clean as I can. My hope is to be able to walk without pain again. (had back surgery 4 yrs ago and with weight gain from not being able to exercise or even walk long enough to break a sweat it has been a huge struggle for me.
I look forward to sharing my success hopefully in the not so distant future. Thanks again for the great info.
Mrssillymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

What is a "Fatbomb"? I see them mentioned all over the place, but have no idea what they are..... hmmm...... maybe ignorance is bliss
Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Thanks a lot I'll try to use olive oil instead of butter