Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jdinero
ketosis question, when?

Hi,
I have been following the induction phase for a few weeks now and while weight is coming off, it is VERY slow. i eat under 20g of carbs a day, mostly from veges or Atkins Bars and i exercise 2 times a week.

I purchase the pee strips to check for ketosis and I was 'slight' just once so far all of this time. is there a good time to check for that? how long after you eat some carbs (<20) will you move into ketosis?

I have been doing very well but am getting a little discouraged at the pace. I don't eat seafood so my palette is limited. I generally have vegies, small portion of cheese and maybe bacon for breakfast. Lunch is an atkins bar with a salad with lunch meat turkey or chicken. Dinner is a hot dog or chicken or hamburger (no bun ofcourse). I eat a lot of green beans and i have sugar-fee jello for dessert. I have coffee in the morning, one diet soda and water the rest of the day.

I was having 12 almonds a day but cut them out after the first week since I didn't see much results.

Advice? I just want to know when is best to check for ketosis?

Thanks,
Jennifer
jdinero is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avaleigh
Stats: 252/181/160
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: August 2013
If you are testing with the ketone urine test strips, I have heard that they work for some people, but not for others. Try using them first thing in the morning when you wake up and first use the restroom. Make sure you keep the strips stored properly, lid on vial is always closed, and stored away from cold, heat, and moisture. The blood ketone test meter seems to be leaps and bound more accurate than the test strips, I do want to purchase one, but it's on my Christmas list!

I have heard that Atkins bars can cause heaps of trouble for many people, but some people it does not affect them. Try omitting the bars for a few weeks and see if that helps.

Also, you may not be able to tolerate green beans and nuts at this phase. They are not technically on the Atkins induction food list. You can find the acceptable food list here: http://www.netrition.com/lowcarb_new...ping_list.html

Last edited by Avaleigh; 12-10-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Avaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I agree with everything Avleigh has said. The strips rarely work for me. I test my blood ketones, so I know I'm deeply in Ketosis, but the strips rarely show it.

How quickly the weight comes off could depend on many factors, including how old you are and how much you have to lose. If you only have a few pounds to lose, it very likely will come off much slower. But as long as you're consistent, and stick with it, it will come off.

You might try a very strict Atkins 72 Induction. Leave out the bars, nuts, sugar free jello, and most of the veggies and see if that starts working for you. If so, then you can slowly start adding some of those things back in and see what works for you.

One more thing, I know you mentioned hot dogs and lunch meats. You have to be very careful about those because they can have a lot of fillers. Read the labels carefully. They're also high in sodium and can be causing you to retain water. I love the Boars Head hot dogs, but I know that any time I eat one, I'll see a gain on the scale the next day just because of the high sodium content.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jdinero
thank you

Thank you both for the tips. I definitely thought green beans were on the induction list. I know the almonds were not, but I thought for sure the green beans were.

I turn to the Atkins bars often when I don't have other food handy. I will try to cut that down too.

Thanks,

Jennifer
jdinero is offline   Reply With Quote