Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
MAMA G:

Oooohhh, I feel sorry for you. That must have been so painful. I hate the dentist too. I've had good ones and really bad ones. One guy was simply pulling a tooth and he wedged his hand against my cheek and jaw SO hard that I couldn't open my mouth more than 1/2 inch for 6 weeks!! So I really can connect with your suffering. Hope you feel better very soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Thanks BonnyJean! It's better this afternoon, and hopefully totally better tomorrow. It's no wonder I always put off going!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Mthrgoos with my having Fibromylgia for some reason It takes a Lot to numb me at the dentist. From what i've read that happens a lot to people with Fibro. My dentist turns that gas on and slaps that nose mask on me and i'm a Happy Happy girl! Ok maybe not Happy but a Lot less nervous and scared.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avaleigh
Stats: 252/171/160
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: August 2013
December Progress:
12/01 219.4
12/02 218.8
12/03 218.4
12/04 217.8
12/05 217.4
12/06 216.2

I must be dumping water weight I was holding onto at the end of last month maybe? Or, am I losing more weight because I have switched from baked chicken/ pretty low fat to well marbled ribeyes, and upped the fats? This is my 2nd month tracking weight loss daily, and I'm finding I loose a lot in the beginning of the month when that TOM starts. Maybe a combination of the both? I took measurements for the first time on the 22nd of Nov, so when the 22nd comes around again, I will remeasure and post those.

BulldogMom: Get out now-Run and don't look back!!! SAVE YOURSELF AND YOUR SANITY!!! I'm Just kidding but hang in there, try to get whatever peace and quiet you can!

pcaltman: I know it can be tough, but stay strong. I'm sure it's TOM related, and should resolve soon.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
You're a beast! I think we deserve a pic of you in the tights
I support this.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
My dentist turns that gas on and slaps that nose mask on me and i'm a Happy Happy girl!
Does your dentist give you that for minor stuff??? I've never been offered that, just needles (owey) or a total knockout. Our dentists up here rarely use that, if at all. Hmm, wonder why?? Glad you have that option though.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise

Please correct if I'm wrong but isn't cardio for weight loss and weights are for toning and/or muscle building?? So if we do mostly cardio, we will lose fat thru sweating and if we do weights we will tone muscles but also might increase the numbers on the scale (due to muscle weighing more than fat). Now do I understand this correctly???
Old 12-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 281/264.8/190
WOE: Super low carb
Start Date: 11/03/14
Been hanging Christmas lights for the last two hours and came in to a request for a photo of me in tights!!!! LOL

You guys are the best. I will post a photo of me in tights when my belly no longer hangs over the band!!! LOL Should be another 20 pounds or so. I may surprise you. There is a photo of me in a speedo in Vegas on my Facebook page.....Thanks DW. She runs my page and post all my photo and honestly I don't care a bit. It was of course when I was only 210 pounds. Now that one I will post. We are very fun outgoing couple if you could not tell by now. Anyway, I do love to motivate but a personal trainer may be a stretch Bonny. But thanks for that made me feel good. Going to cook up a rib eye in the cast iron skillet and will check back in later.

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Bonny-jean: Trillex or Tiggy would know that one better than me. But cardio and weights will both burn fat. once you build the muscle it will make your body a better fat burning machine. I use to only do cardio and that did the trick. This time I am doing weights not losing as fast but I am not complaining. If trillex reads this she will know the answer for sure.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Anyway, I do love to motivate but a personal trainer may be a stretch Bonny. But thanks for that made me feel good.
Don't sell yourself short Buddy!! This is not a stretch AT ALL!! Why would you be less of a trainer than anybody else doing it for a living??? Really???
You know what to do to change a body and you're a fantastic motivator. YOU'RE HIRED!!! KUTGW Kemp. You're my exercise Guru for sure.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
You're a beast! I think we deserve a pic of you in the tights
Most definitely! And I agree about the exercise. I think any change, will stir things up and get the scale moving. I'm ready to hit it hard core again, just waiting on this dang foot to heal.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaleigh View Post
December Progress:
12/01 219.4
12/02 218.8
12/03 218.4
12/04 217.8
12/05 217.4
12/06 216.2

I must be dumping water weight I was holding onto at the end of last month maybe? Or, am I losing more weight because I have switched from baked chicken/ pretty low fat to well marbled ribeyes, and upped the fats? This is my 2nd month tracking weight loss daily, and I'm finding I loose a lot in the beginning of the month when that TOM starts. Maybe a combination of the both? I took measurements for the first time on the 22nd of Nov, so when the 22nd comes around again, I will remeasure and post those.

BulldogMom: Get out now-Run and don't look back!!! SAVE YOURSELF AND YOUR SANITY!!! I'm Just kidding but hang in there, try to get whatever peace and quiet you can!

pcaltman: I know it can be tough, but stay strong. I'm sure it's TOM related, and should resolve soon.
LOL We've got a busy weekend so hopefully the will keep my mind busy until everyone goes back to work and school. I've been looking back over my charts and I seem to hold onto weight for about the 1 week or two of the month and then I start losing. But I'm betting the ribeyes did help! Great losses btw!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Hi Ladies,
I'm sorry to hear of your frustration but weighing and watching on a daily basis can be pretty discouraging and even maddening but like I've been told, it's the long stretch that counts and not this daily up and down stuff. I hope tomorrow is a happier day for you both. Keep strong girls!!
Thanks for the support! My mind wasn't in the right place today and I caved big time. Mentally, I feel better now. Physically, I feel like the Michelin man. Tomorrow I will pay the price on the scale but I needed a break....even if it was a short one. I usually de-stress by running but that isn't an option at the moment.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

BulldogMom

I totally agree with you, 100%!!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Ava: I was so blushed by the tights request I forgot to complement you on the whoosh!!! Way to go and keep up the good work.

I am struggling to eat enough each day. Just not hungry the last couple of days. I am eating fatty foods just till full. I do not want to go into starvation mode. I will burn close to 1600 calories on my run in the morning. That is if I can actually make the run!!! LOL I am really looking forward to it. If I can run 8 then I know can do 13.1. Now just to get my times to under 12 minute miles. I am hoping for 13 minute miles on race day. But shooting to get my training runs down to 12 minute miles.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Bulldog: Just keep posting darlin' we got ya. You will get through this. Will be glad to get you back on track asap. Everyone needs a break. Heck I almost broke today, went to long with out eating, walked into a gas station with a subway in it and the smell of that fresh bread baking almost sent me over the edge!!! LOL

Bonny-jean: You always know how to always make everybody feel better. So glad you are here with us on this thread!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Bonny-jean: You always know how to always make everybody feel better. So glad you are here with us on this thread!
Ah, thanks so much Kemp. Ditto, my friend.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bonny I don't get the gas for a teeth cleaning But i've honestly thought about asking for it then! LOL! Had a crown put on months ago and Yep I got the gas! I explained to the hygenist and Dentist yrs ago how scared I am of the dentist that they Totally understand, plus I have an anxiety problem when they go to work on my mouth due to waking up in the hospital on life support in 2005.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Hospital on life support!!!

WHAT???? Okay girlie, please esplain that one to me!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Thanks BDM and Kemp

and yeah princess, what happened???
Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Omg Kemp in tights! Am looking forward to that photo as well! I have one from earlier this year of me in Skins at the Moonwalk - but no way is that being published anywhere...

Princessmum - I had no idea about the link between fibro and anaesthetic resistance! Wow, very interesting. I too have major problems at the dentist and like you Bonnyjean, I had over 10 injections and a nerve block before they could do a tiny minor repair. That also explains why I could feel the surgeon cutting into my tendon during the achilles surgery. I was diagnosed with fibro a couple years ago but do not believe it exists - I go along with Dr Lowe, that it is a manifestation of hypothyroidism.

I'll have to dig out the more scientific explanation but Kemp, you are right, both weight training and cardio are fat burning. You need both because one is aerobic (strengthening the heart) and the other is anaerobic (strengthening the body). Yes, muscle does technically weigh more than fat - but it is by volume, that means it takes up less space for the same amount. So, you could interpret that as not losing as much weight but your clothes will looser. Also, keep in mind as a woman, to gain a lb of muscle takes well over 6 weeks of quite intense training.

You really need both - cardio can easily become canabalistic - meaning your body can start using its muscle as fuel which will decrease your overall muscle mass, thereby slowing down your overall calorie usage. This is also why weights are important - maintaining your lean muscle mass burns calories all the time. The more muscle there is, the higher your basal metabolic rate (the rate you burn calories just to exist).

In addition, as you age, everyone's muscle mass begins to decrease as much as 5% over 5yrs. This starts around 35yrs. So unless you do something to maintain (or even gain), you will need less and less calories to live as time goes on. This is why those Jane Fonda workout girls can only eat a couple leaves of lettuce before they gain weight - they used up their muscle mass and now have zero metabolism.

Another amazing reason to lift weights - you can change the shape of your body and see results of your lc living much quicker! Please don't worry about developing a body builder physique - I can honestly tell you, unless you are devoting the hours and hormones needed, you will not bulk up in any way (this applies to the ladies who worry!). You can get nicely defined arms with time, but mainly you will really see a difference in your shape.

So, in a nutshell, you need both - one for your heart and one to keep your body strong! Both will help with fat loss over time, not necessarily immediately and occassionally, will show as an increase on the scales because after any session, a period of inflammation follows and this results in swelling and water retention in those muscles affected. This is temporary and won't affect your progress. Plus, exercise makes your blood insulin more effective which is even better!

Kemp - please be careful, 19 days with no rest day is the road to injury. Please rest your hamstring, we want you in full force at the Feb race. Your muscles need those rest days - which can still be active rest days but with things like pilates, walking or stretching. They need time to recover! Make sure you book yourself in for a sports massage soon, your body will thank you! Take care of yourself!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Tiggy

Oh my, that was quite an education. I am so very appreciative of your time to pass on this information. I have all the knowledge, all the desire but zero motivation to just get it started. I have a wonderful, FREE gym at work but can't get past the anxiety of working out beside co-workers. Hearing whispers of regulars contemplating "how long this one will last." I was all prepared one day to go up after work and the more I thought about it, the worse I felt till I just grabbed my newly packed bag and went home like a dog with it's tail between it's legs. How sad. I've contemplated buying a treadmill but everybody warns it will just become a clothes hanger as 89% do. I've considered going back to Curves as that's a real no brainer work-out, meaning you just walk in, go to any machine and then just go around the circle till you're done. You don't have to think which machine to use, how to use it, then what machine, etc, etc. I'm kinda frustrated. I'll figure it out one day, hopefully. Thanks again and also thanks for telling Kemp to chill a bit!!!! Too much of ANYTHING is not good, and we know that better than anybody... right Kemp. LOL.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
You need both because one is aerobic (strengthening the heart) and the other is anaerobic (strengthening the body).
Just to clarify these terms, "aerobic" and "anaerobic" actually refer to the fuel sources that are used during the period of exertion and to the metabolic environment in which the fuel burns.

There's a fairly complex equation behind it but, basically, aerobic exertion is *primarily* fueled by fat up to what’s called the "lactate threshold." Beyond the lactate threshold, physical exertion becomes anaerobic activity, which is fueled almost entirely by sugars because this form of fuel burning happens in the absence of oxygen. Inside the human body, fat only burns in the presence of oxygen. So when you stress the body beyond the point at which oxygen is readily available to the fuel-burning tissues, the cells switch gears and burn a different fuel source. Sugars can be burned within tissues in the absence of oxygen, but fat can't.

It doesn't matter how few dietary carbohydrates you're consuming, the body will *always* find a way to fuel anaerobic exertion. This is one of the beneficial adaptations that has allowed our species to survive. The coolest thing, to me, is that the body has systems in place to supply the necessary anaerobic fuel through the act of its own exertion. Through a process called the "Cori cycle" the exertion itself actually completes a series of complex biochemical reactions that ultimately produces adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is used to fuel further anaerobic exertion. The harder the body pushes anaerobically, the more ATP the exertion produces. Lactic acid is one of the by-products of this process, so pushing past a certain point causes the build-up of acid to produce a burning sensation in the muscles. It's sort of a *safety valve* to keep humans from excessively exploiting this system beyond the point to which the body can support the process.

What actually constitutes "aerobic" versus "anaerobic" activity, in a real-world situation, is also somewhat complicated. Simply working with weights is NOT *necessarily* anaerobic activity. It depends on the level to which you're stressing the body. Lifting a light weight that doesn't push the body past the lactate threshold is still aerobic activity, even though weights are used as resistance. Technically, every movement you make is a form of weight lifting -- lifting a spoon to my mouth at dinner is lifting a weight but the exertion isn't anaerobic. Waving goodbye is lifting your arm weight. Lifting your leg off the bed uses your own bodyweight as resistance.

Bodybuilders build bulky muscles by lifting weights that stress their muscles to the point where the muscle tissues "tear" and need to be re-built. The "tears" are tiny ruptures that are rebuilt through the process of protein being synthesized and built into the torn fibers. Building additional tissue onto the torn fibers produces larger fibers, so the muscle mass grows. The muscles don't actually get bigger *during* the activity, they grow during the breaks between workouts, while the body "heals" and grows the torn tissues. This process is "anabolic." Anabolism is a building process within the body. Insulin, for example, is an anabolic hormone. In addition to feeding nutrients into fat cells in a process that grows those fat cells, insulin also feeds nutrients into muscle tissue as part of the process that rebuilds torn tissues.

The opposite of anabolism is "catabolism." Catabolic processes break down body tissues. Those tissues could be muscle or they could be fat. Fat burning is a catabolic process, so aerobic activity that burns primarily fat is a catabolic process. Adrenaline, for example, is a catabolic hormone. Adrenaline stimulates fat cells to release energy into the system, thus breaking down fat stores. Resistance training with weights that are heavy enough to tear down muscle tissues, in order to allow the tissues to later re-build, is also a catabolic process. The type of exertion you choose -- aerobic or anaerobic -- will determine the type of catabolism the body will incur.

Competitive bodybuilders typically "cycle" their diets through catabolic phases, which cut bodyfat for competition, and anabolic phases, which build muscle tissue. What they eat during each phase determines whether the body will be in a building mode or a burning mode. Bodybuilders also commonly change their training to fit the goals of each cycle. For example, unless they also participate in endurance sports, most bodybuilders will only do aerobic activity during a "cutting" cycle.

Low intensity steady state cardio (LISS) is commonly used by bodybuilders during cutting cycles because this activity is primarily fueled by fat, so it's a way of focusing on fat depletion before a contest. During bulking cycles, bodybuilders will focus on anaerobic resistance training to break down and then re-build muscle tissues. Because the bulking cycle is anabolic, the body typically adds to fat stores as well as muscle mass. Anaerobic resistance training doesn't engage fat stores in the same way that aerobic training engages fat stores, so bodybuilders change their training approach during a cutting cycle to deplete fat stores in a way that won't be accomplished by weight training.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok long story short we lost our baby Zach when I was 4 months preg. During what was Supposed to be an easy and routine D&C the Dr punctured a Hole in my uterus, all the way into the Muscles in my lower back! I was bleeding Into my back etc so he didn't notice anything wrong so when I was sent to the recovery room I bottomed out. Was rushed to a larger hospital ( was at a womens hospital) and on life support and in ICU. Basically came Out of the ambulance at the larger hospital with no heartbeat. My family was told I had a slim chance of making it and would be on life support for weeks and in ICU for a month or more. I ended up losing right ovary and Tube. Praise God with lots of Prayers I was off life support in 2 days and HOME in 5 days! But when I was on LS I kept waking up. The meds to make me sleep wouldn't work so I totally remember the tube etc in my throat. Very scary stuff but i'm Alive! And trust Very Very few Drs now.
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*

Starting Again! Lost 67 lbs then gained a lot back
Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*December Goal- 140 and Up exercise!
Dec 1st- 143
Dec 2nd- 143.8 probably due to me being
So hungry all day yesterday!
Dec 3rd- 142.4! Yay!! Praying it Sticks!
Dec 4th- 142.4!
Dec 5th- 141.6! Thank you God!
Dec 6th- 143! Knew that SF lc candy
would get me
Dec 7th- 144.4! Crud! I Never wanted to see 144 Again! Didn't even eat sf candy yesterday And walked a mile through snow!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 175/170/130 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Morning all,

Nothing to say.

Goal = 158

Weights:
Dec 1 - 166
Dec 2 - 167
Dec 3 - 168
Dec 4 - 167
Dec 5 - 168.5 (tom)
Dec 6 - 169.5 (WTH!!!! tom stopped)
Dec 7 - 167.5
Old 12-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Shelly: Holy smokes!!!! So sorry for your loss and so happy you are still here to keep me motivated. It was a good run on your weight.....But you will get back down.

Tiggy: Thanks. I am running 4 days a week training for my marathon, and then doing weights on my off days. I double one day a week to follow the weights training schedule I follow. It is just a simple 12 week off of from body builders. It is a cycle of weekly weights from chest to back to arms to shoulders etc. I skip the legs right now because they are getting plenty from the marathon training. I now it is hard to build muscle while trying to lose weight so I am taking what I can get.

Trillex:
Thanks for all that information. As I am following a body builder type 12 week work out system, I hope to build some muscle. And hope to tone up a little bit. I am in week 6 right now and am noticing some new firmer muscles that is for sure. The scale is not moving as fast this go round but clothes that usually fit when I am 10 pounds lighter are fitting now even though I am heavier. Before I would only do cardio, but now training for a marathon and then training my upper body muscles on off days is really working out. It is forcing me to work out 7 days a week. But only doing the each muscle group once a week. Thanks for all your great answers.

Well had a big whoosh today. I think I will make my original goal of 229. So now it is 225. And for good measure trying for 219 by the end of the month. I have not under 225 in 2 years. I did get my run in this morning of 8 miles. Wow that is a long way!!!! Ran the entire time no walking. Finished in just under 2 hours at 1:55:43 for 14:28 mile pace. Felt great, reverse splits the whole time so all good. Hoping to get my pace time to 12:30 by race day, but will be happy with anything under 13:45 pace time. So after all said and done burned 1605 calories!!!! Rest of the day will be and active day of cleaning the house and hanging more chritmas lights. Up and down the ladder has got to burn some calories, except today there will be no ladder after that run this morning!!!
The stats:

December Goal 225

Dec. 01…240.2(starting the month up 1.4 pounds awesome!!!!)
Dec. 02…238.2 (after a 3 mile run???)
Dec. 03…237.6 (think stall is broken)
Dec. 04…236.0
Dec. 05…235.4
Dec. 06…235.0
Dec. 07…233.0 (whoosh again!!!) so happy
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Shelly, I can't even imagine how terrifying that must have been! So thankful you're still here with us! We rely on you!

BulldogMom, how are you doing today? Feeling better?

Pcaltman, nice whoosh!

How is everyone doing today?????

Small drop for me today. Almost a pound. Puts me in the 180's, but just barely. Not enough that I'm sure it will stay there yet. I'll be glad when I go down another few pounds and I'm confident that I won't see the 190's again.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awesome Whoosh Kemp!!! That's great!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!