Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Leg Cramps (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/817792-leg-cramps.html)

Kat41057 11-28-2013 04:34 AM

Leg Cramps

Good morning!!!!! I was just wondering if anyone has experienced leg cramps? This last 10 days I have had to jump out of bed of many occasions, because my legs have gotten Charlie horses. Sometimes it's both legs, sometimes only 1. :dunno:
I will stretch once in a while, but this is starting to get a bit frustrating.. Kat :)

Bonny-Jean 11-28-2013 07:14 AM

Leg cramps

I started getting them in my calves about 2 months in. I upped my salt and added a multi-vitamin and MIO Sport (with electrolytes) and it helps a little. Lots of water of course but I still get them regularly. I don't know if there's anything else we can do?? I had blood work done and everything is okey dokey so ............. :confused:

Patience 11-28-2013 07:50 AM

I had cramps since starting in late March.
They have nearly completely subsided in the last few weeks. Maybe my body is adjusted? Or it may be attributable to my 2 month stall.

Salt is what helps me the most . . . quite a lot. Just curious how much sodium are you consuming>
For a while I was taking 5 1 gram tablets a day, plus salting my food and coffee.
I think water is good, but for me the more water, the more salt I needed.
I keep a bottle of salted water by my bedside. Haven't used it for a week or more, but if I get a cramp that I can't stretch out and back to sleep, the slurgs of salted water always do the trick.
I also take several potassium supplements every day. 5 - 7 90mg tabs.

I also take extra calcium and a bit of extra magnesium. But for me, sodium is the big player.

Kat41057 11-28-2013 09:39 AM

I started drinking chicken broth again, as I was always dizzy.. :) I never thought of potassium or magnesium supplements.. Maybe I'll up the broth. I already salt some of the things that I eat daily, but don't want to go overboard.. Thanks you guys..

MtherGoos 11-29-2013 10:14 AM

Potassium really helps with the leg cramps. I take 3 potassium each day with my vitamins to keep the leg cramps at bay.

Patience 11-29-2013 03:16 PM

For me it is just one big experiment.
The Eades have emphasized potassium in their books.
I have found that potassium without the extra salt is not as effective for me.
I have read somewhere that our bodies ditch potassium to save salt.
But there are lots of suggestions hereabouts.
One poster has said that drinking water takes care of her cramps, but that alone doesn't work for me.
There are small amounts of quinine is some tonics. I tried some diet tonic but don't want to drink any more because I prefer to avoid artificial sweeteners.

Bonny-Jean 11-30-2013 04:45 AM

Enough already

I'm getting very frustrated with these leg cramps. It's every nite now. It wakes me up if I try to bend my knee and pow.... cramp in the back of my calf. I've tried adding salt, I've tried more water, less water. I take a multi-vitamin. I had blood work done and I'm not low on anything. I also take in some electrolytes in my morning water. I can't think of anything to try to get rid of this problem. I'm 11 weeks into Atkins and I think this started about 3 or 4 wks ago. The only thing I haven't tried is the dreaded exercise!! :eek: LOL. I wonder if a good stretch before bed would help???

Kat41057 11-30-2013 05:11 AM

Morning!!! This past week I have upped my water a bit after supper, and have not had and cramps this last 2 nights. Go figure... Kat

Bonny-Jean 11-30-2013 05:43 AM

Hi New Brunswick

I'm glad you found a remedy. Hopefully I'll find one soon as well.

Patience 11-30-2013 06:47 AM

Some people do say that evening exercise helps.
Do you know how much sodium you are consuming?
I am beating that drum, I know, but it works for me.
Of course, if you have high blood pressure or salt makes you retain water, probably not a good solution. I have read a number of places that it may take up to 5 grams a day.
Also sea salt may be the better choice that regular table salt. Assuming that you are getting enough iodine . . . .

Google or search cramps on this site and you will find lots of threads and posts. Maybe give you some ideas. It's a common problem.

Bonny-Jean 11-30-2013 10:03 AM

I have no medical issues at all despite my weight. My doctor has called me an anomaly more than once. I'll try to calculate my sodium per day and will do more research on leg cramps. Thanks for the advice.

nikki 11-30-2013 11:07 AM

Low carb diets can sometimes be quite low in potassium and that causes leg or foot cramps, especially at night.

For me, the ultimate solution for leg cramps is Low Sodium V8 (has to be the low sodium variety because it has added potassium). One can (11.5 fl oz) contains 1,180 mg potassium which is 34% of your DV (more than 2x the potassium of a banana). You'd have to take 12 potassium pills to get this same amount of potassium! It is bar none the best dietary source of potassium available and it nixes leg cramps right away. I take one serving a day during the summer when I perspire a lot, or when I exercise vigorously. It also has 200mg of sodium, so that helps balance the electrolytes as well. :)

cb83 11-30-2013 06:47 PM

I started taking a multi v for first time ever. No cramps since.

Tattcat 11-30-2013 10:54 PM

Before starting low carb 3 months ago, I was getting cramps in my calf nightly. And I used to eat bananas every day for breakfast. Go figure, I haven't had a cramp since starting low carb. Now I don't know what was causing them.

Bonny-Jean 12-01-2013 05:27 AM

Huh, and I'm exactly the opposite?? I too ate bananas every morning before going low carb and now I have cramps in my calves almost every nite. Strange, eh??

Patience 12-01-2013 10:34 AM

Yes, one thing we can count on is how much variability there is among us.
I am happy, that you've not had cramps.

Bonny-Jean 12-05-2013 03:44 AM

Okay, how odd is this. I cut my water in half during the evenings and the last four nights, I have not had leg cramps. Was I flushing "salts" out of my system?? This is the only thing I've done differently in 12 wks so I have to believe I was drinking too much water OR not taking in enough salt. Whatever the case, the cramps have subsided so I'm good with that. Besides, now that we are in the cold, icy grip of winter here in Manitoba, Canada, I'm quite content having my hot, creamy coffee in the evening anyway. :)

Tattcat 12-05-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean (Post 16706563)
Okay, how odd is this. I cut my water in half during the evenings and the last four nights, I have not had leg cramps. Was I flushing "salts" out of my system?? This is the only thing I've done differently in 12 wks so I have to believe I was drinking too much water OR not taking in enough salt. Whatever the case, the cramps have subsided so I'm good with that. Besides, now that we are in the cold, icy grip of winter here in Manitoba, Canada, I'm quite content having my hot, creamy coffee in the evening anyway. :)

That's bizarre, I was thinking mine stopped because I am now drinking water all day. I never drank water, don't like it.

Bonny-Jean 12-06-2013 09:04 AM

Ha-ha, that's funny, eh??? I hate water anyway and if it wasn't for MIO, I wouldn't touch the stuff. Ha, I knew water wasn't good for ya. (just kidding) :laugh:

pawleys14 12-10-2013 08:38 AM

I have had leg cramps all my life... so did my Mama and my Aunt...

I take magnesium supplements am and pm... but does not always help.. when I get them I take two leg cramps pills and it helps... sure hate the leg cramps... they hurt soooo much :sad:

MandyMarie 12-11-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikki (Post 16701036)
Low carb diets can sometimes be quite low in potassium and that causes leg or foot cramps, especially at night.

For me, the ultimate solution for leg cramps is Low Sodium V8 (has to be the low sodium variety because it has added potassium). One can (11.5 fl oz) contains 1,180 mg potassium which is 34% of your DV (more than 2x the potassium of a banana). You'd have to take 12 potassium pills to get this same amount of potassium! It is bar none the best dietary source of potassium available and it nixes leg cramps right away. I take one serving a day during the summer when I perspire a lot, or when I exercise vigorously. It also has 200mg of sodium, so that helps balance the electrolytes as well. :)

I was just looking at the low-sodium v8 & not only are there a lot of carbs, but sugars as well. Has anyone found a v8/tomato juice that is low in carbs and sugars?

onedimsim 12-11-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean (Post 16700700)
I'm getting very frustrated with these leg cramps. It's every nite now. It wakes me up if I try to bend my knee and pow.... cramp in the back of my calf. I've tried adding salt, I've tried more water, less water. I take a multi-vitamin. I had blood work done and I'm not low on anything. I also take in some electrolytes in my morning water. I can't think of anything to try to get rid of this problem. I'm 11 weeks into Atkins and I think this started about 3 or 4 wks ago. The only thing I haven't tried is the dreaded exercise!! :eek: LOL. I wonder if a good stretch before bed would help???

have you tired magnesium? There is a magnesium supplement called "Natural Calm" which seems to help me.

Sympathies on the leg cramps! Nothing worse than waking up to one!

Bonny-Jean 12-11-2013 11:58 AM

Okay, I'm convinced it's the water. Stopped drinking water for a week in the evening and the leg cramps stopped. This weekend I had water Sat & Sun evening and "pow" they're back. Isn't that just the strangest thing, eh??

LolaGetz 12-11-2013 12:14 PM

I don't have any info about long term approaches to preventing leg cramps but for immediate relief ingesting a spoonful of yellow mustard is said to alleviate the cramp within minutes.

Bonny-Jean 12-12-2013 02:56 PM

Mustard

Lola: I researched the mustard cure and OMG, I was shocked by all the testimonials for mustard and they all say the cramps are gone in SECONDS!!! Wow, well next time I get one I'm going for the mustard. We'll see!! :hiya: