Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   I'm searching for no sugar, no bread crumb sausage but failing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/817699-im-searching-no-sugar-no-bread-crumb-sausage-but-failing.html)

frogg 11-25-2013 10:38 PM

I'm searching for no sugar, no bread crumb sausage but failing

So many people have recipes or post that they eat sausages but I cannot for the life of me find any that don't have either sugar/dextrose or wheat crumbs or both, and often listed in the first 3-5 ingredients. This includes ground sausage.

What brands are you eating? Do the ones you eat have these in them and you find they don't stall you? I love sausage and there's a few recipes I'm dying to try but I just don't want to eat something that has sugar listed as the third ingredient! :(

I live in Canada, so maybe there's a brand in other countries we don't have here.

pinkcadillac 11-26-2013 06:58 AM

you could make your own...

just an example recipe....theres gazillions of them

Breakfast Sausage #1

10-lbs ground pork
5-tbsp salt
1-tbsp ground white pepper
2-tbsp rubbed sage
1-tsp ginger
1-tbsp nutmeg
1-tbsp thyme
1-pint ice water
1-tbsp ground hot red pepper

Combine all ingredients, mix well & stuff into sheep casing or make into thin patties

Patience 11-26-2013 07:15 AM

Thanks much for the recipe, pinkcaddie.
I am hankering for the sage sausage of my youth, and haven't quite found it.
(It might well be memory tricking me.) I know it involved red pepper flakes and lots of sage.
Not sure about ginger, though, and nutmeg. My food coop makes a pretty good sausage.
Not what I am seeking, but close. Nutmeg is the last ingredient. What does nutmeg add?
I am just curious, as I think of it only in holiday seasonings.
Thanks goodness no sugar. So many sausages and hams and jerkies have added sugar.

Bonny-Jean 11-26-2013 07:56 AM

FROGG

Wow, 50 lb loss. That's terrific. KUTGW. Whoo-hoo!! :high5:

MtherGoos 11-26-2013 12:55 PM

Pink is right, making your own is your best bet. I do buy the Jimmy Dean ground sausage and use it. The minimal amount of sugar in it hasn't caused any problems.

frogg 11-26-2013 08:08 PM

pinkcadillac, great idea! I will totally make this!

Bonny-Jean, thanks :) It's been a slow and steady and rewarding loss.

patience, I put a pinch of nutmeg into cream sauces and it gives it the most delicious flavour. Not Christmas-y. Oh, I can't come up with a description haha

MtherGoos, I've been watching you lose and hitting your goals. Love it! You're amazing.

Candid 11-27-2013 06:05 AM

I used to make my own with ground turkey because pork bothers me.

MtherGoos 11-27-2013 11:04 AM

Ah! Thanks Frogg! You made my day!

LCSassy 01-21-2014 02:40 AM

make your own pork sausage patties?

I make my own sausage patties from a recipe I came across on the internet. Just pork and spices. Mine aren't as strong tasting as your average pork sausage, and I like it way better. I have to stay away from gluten, so it is a necessity and way cheaper. My family likes them, even the kids! Some meat markets will have a ground sausage without fillers, but I'd call around. It depends on where you live. I don't have sausage every day like I used to..I eat more eggs now than anything.

Happy Hunting!

I'm A Loser 01-23-2014 10:33 AM

Bob Evans sausage has zero carbs, and is $3 a lb at WalMart. They also have a sage sausage which is very tasty.

frogg 01-23-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm A Loser (Post 16769907)
Bob Evans sausage has zero carbs, and is $3 a lb at WalMart. They also have a sage sausage which is very tasty.

Thanks! I don't know if I can find that here but I'll look for it!