Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lacie Senior
Help- Question about Advantage Bars

Could some nice person somewhere...please tell me about the net carbs in an Advantage Bar. I so want to eat them as a low carb snack...but.. the Nutrition facts say the total carb count is 23 gr., the fiber count says 9 gr.s.. so to my way of thinking 23 subtract 9 means each bar has 14 net carbs.

BUT the box also says.. separately.. Protein 15 gr., Calories 175, Net Carbs 3gr.

I would so love it to be 3 grams. Please clarify this for me.

Lacie Senior Niagara Canada
Lacie Senior is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
You take the sugar alchol (sp) off too. I'd be careful eatting them often though. They cause quite a few people to stall in their losses
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lacie Senior
Thanks To PrincessMommy re: Advantage Bars

Being a Senior..this is the 1st time I have ever gone on a forum..wow and 'it' worked. Thank-you Princess Mommy. I did read on some site about Aitken's success stories and many said having a bar each day very much helped them to stay on course.

Are there others 'out there in cyberland' who also feel that the bars stalled weight loss?

I have been on 1 week Induction and have lost 5 pounds. I did notice my appetite fall off and I have been tired but I plan to 'stick, even when at a restaurant.

Thank-you to anyone who weighs in on my question about Advantage Bars.

Lacie Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Congrats on your loss so far!! The tiredness is pretty normal. If it bothers you more you might try drinking some chicken or beef broth. It helps. I eat the atkins bars every once in awhile as a treat Or if I know there will be desserts that I can't have somewhere so it keeps me on track
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
I purchased a box of Atkins bars... had one last evening...(every once in a while I like something choc.) and I think I will have one bar once a week.. just as a treat... IF I have lost the week before.....

that way it should not stall me.. I hope not.....
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie Senior View Post
Being a Senior..this is the 1st time I have ever gone on a forum..wow and 'it' worked. Thank-you Princess Mommy. I did read on some site about Aitken's success stories and many said having a bar each day very much helped them to stay on course.

Are there others 'out there in cyberland' who also feel that the bars stalled weight loss?

I have been on 1 week Induction and have lost 5 pounds. I did notice my appetite fall off and I have been tired but I plan to 'stick, even when at a restaurant.

Thank-you to anyone who weighs in on my question about Advantage Bars.

Yes, The Bars & Shakes help cause me to stall for 4 months. I loved them and had them regularly, Never again. I broke the stall after I stopped using them.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
The bars are made with malitol, which is a "bad" sugar alcohol. I eat them very rarely, like once a month. If you want to calculate net carbs for them I would subtract half the sugar alcohols from total carbs at most. That is not how Atkins calculates the net carbs, of course. As for the shakes, they DO NOT contain sugar alcohols so do not have the same issue. I drink one Atkins shake a day and lose weight just fine.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
[QUOTE=Mistizoom;16683220]The bars are made with malitol, which is a "bad" sugar alcohol. I eat them very rarely, like once a month. If you want to calculate net carbs for them I would subtract half the sugar alcohols from total carbs at most. That is not how Atkins calculates the net carbs, of course. As for the shakes, they DO NOT contain sugar alcohols so do not have the same issue. I drink one Atkins shake a day and lose weight just fine.[/QUOTE

That's great. I was NOT so lucky.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
It's definitely a YMMV thing. Some people have problems and some don't. I avoid them, I'd rather stick to real food and keep it clean as much as possible, but some people have found that they can use them and still lose.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
In order to be successful long term you need to eat real food. Find a real food alternative for your snack and you will be much better off. I keep bars in my brief case for those special occasions when nothing else is available, and only use them then. The alcohol in them gives me a headache and they make me hungry the next day.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Candid
Start Date: August 2002
Looking back a couple of years they caused me to stall.
Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Froggie
Stats: 241.8/234/136
WOE: Atkins-Induction Phase
Start Date: November 24, 2013
If I remember right we shouldn't be having any bars or shakes on induction.....I'm on my 2nd week and have only eaten real food. My sugar cravings have been gone since day #3. Keep up the good work!
Froggie is offline   Reply With Quote