Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
When to move to OWL

Hi everyone. This is a controversial question it seems but I am unclear as to what to do.
I was told by the Atkins people in the phone to stay on Induction until I was 20-30 lbs from goal and I have over 100 lbs to lose so we are talking a full year until I possibly would get down the scale numbers that far down.
Anyways, when I mentioned this on the Atkins online Board I was told I should have already moved to OWL. What do I go with this? Move on or stay put?
Thank you for your advice because I am very confused. The book is so vague and the Atkins Board is not agreeing with the telephone Reps at all. I would have thought the Reps would know their stuff and one of them told me that the book has glitches in it and no way should I be moving to OWL for a year at least and stay at 20-25 met carbs all Induction foods.
Advice needed especially if you have lost a lot of weight.
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm down 67 lbs (give or take a day or two lol) I stayed Below 20 carbs a day until I had around 10-15 lbs to lose then raised it to around 30 a day. My weight loss slowed a Lot! I did have a hysterectomy last Dec and my thyroid levels messed up so both those things Could have had something to do with my slow loss. I am back down to 20 or lower a day but i'm still bouncing around on the scale. I know a Lot of people who stay in induction until they lose the weight they want and never go to owl. Depends I guess on how fast you want to lose or how your weight loss is going. I know that everybody is differant and will lose at differant rates etc so you should decide for yourself and not go by a phone rep.

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Because I don't plan to climb the carb ladder and increase my carb intake much at all, even in maintenance, I don't plan to go through the other phases of Atkins. I'll go from induction to NK maintenance, which will mean adding a very few more food items, like yogurt and alcohol, things that will still fit a very low carb lifestyle but aren't helpful (IMO) to the weight loss phase. That's because I think staying in ketosis and eating very low carb is the healthiest thing for me long term, so I won't develop diabetes or heart disease, and will be able to maintain my loss.

Because you're someone with blood sugar issues, I would think long and hard about what foods you intend to add, and how many carbs you're willing to eat daily.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
My person opinion (you can take it or leave it, I am no expert) is that when to move on is a personal choice only you can make based upon what you know you can do and what you want out of it.

2 weeks of induction is the minimum. It will not harm you to keep going at that level. If you have more than 100 pounds to lose, it may be in your best interest to stay at that level for the majority of your weight loss, as loss may very well slow down a bit as you climb up the carb ladder.

That said, there are also advantages to moving on. If you find that you get a bit bored with the food restrictions at induction levels, moving up the carb ladder gives you more options. Incorporating a few nuts, berries, yogurt, etc. may be a good idea. Many people give up on the diet simply because they feel deprived of some things. If it helps keep you going, so be it. Also, as you move up the carb ladder, slowly adding more foods back into your diet, you learn your food sensitivities and those items that will cause your blood sugar spikes and binges. Knowledge is power. And only by increasing your carbs incrementally, will you learn your losing level - or how many carbs it takes to kick you out of ketosis.

Personally, I followed the 2002 DANDR to the letter, counted total carbs (not net). I did not watch my calories at all -it wasn't considered a big thing back then. Avoided shakes and bars and processed fake foods completely. Quite frankly, I found pretty much all frankenfoods to be a$$-flavored, but that's another story. I had quite a lot to lose and kept up induction for 6 weeks and moved to OWL. I averaged a 2 pound loss per week through OWL for over a year. There were weeks I lost none and weeks where I whooshed.

It is up to you. One piece of advice I can give you is to pick your plan and follow it. Try not to inundate yourself with too much info. It sounds like you are starting to overthink it. And remember, Atkins company is first and foremost a business. Their #1 goal is making money.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I completely agree with what has been said. I started off with 150 pounds, so I plan to stay on strict Atkins 72 Induction until I'm much closer to goal. I've been on Induction since February of this year. I would stay on it as long as you can handle it. However, if you're getting too bored with the food choices, and feeling like you're going to give up, then I would go ahead and move on to OWL. It's better to add more choices and lose a little more slowly than to give it up completely.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote