Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tuezdai
Stats: 183/179/153
WOE: Atkins Induction 1972ish
Start Date: Start September 2013
Frustrated....not losing....

Hi,
This is my first post here. I've been doing low-carb, though not super strict, since the first week in September. Depending on the day, I've lost between 0 and 7 lbs....it fluctuates and that in itself is frustrating. I've taken pictures and my stomach *seems* flatter but my pants aren't any looser.

I got serious about induction about 10 days ago. I cut out all processed "junk" like atkins shakes and bars and my occasional cheat glass of wine. I'm counting my cheese ounces (4 oz/day) and measuring my 2 loosely packed cups of salad a day. I switched my creaming 1 carb dressing for plain oil and vinegar. I switched from half and half to whipping cream in my coffee and I measure it. I've stopped eating tomatoes. I am doing it by the book.

And I am not losing.

I really believe in this way of eating and am committed to it. But, I need to see some change in my body.

BTW I am 5 foot 7 1/2 inches and around 180. My typical weight pre-second-kid (two years ago) was 170. With my height and build, I am most comfortable somewhere in the 150's. I'm 37.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Susan
Tuezdai is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Patience and perseverance. I know you feel like you've been doing low carb since early September, but the shakes and 'occasional' wine (and you were still eating tomatoes?) probably made you not as low carb as you thought. Are you keeping tracking in a food log? Do you know specifically how many calories, carbs, etc.? I find this helps a lot when I gain or lose because I can pinpoint the reason and not just get frustrated.

Even now, you may be eating more carbs/calories than you realize so before you give up, start tracking the numbers.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /148 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
I'm glad you asked cause I'm in the same boat. I'm 5 wks in and have been religious about my induction. Although my diet is pretty much the same every week, each week I am losing less. This last week was a pitiful 1/2 lb. OMG!! The only difference in the last week is I've added MIO to my 10 - 12 cups of water each day. Some days I'm eating less than the first few weeks but I'm not really hungry so???
I know how you feel but it sounds like you're not really doing induction. Sounds more like Phase 2 but although I feel like it's not working for me anymore, start keeping tract now that your following the induction rules more.
Guess I can't offer to much advice as I don't seem to be doing any better. It's frustrating to say no to other foods, especially when you're getting dismal results.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JessHas3Cuties
Stats: 312.4/292.0/180 (5'9")
WOE: Low Carb, counting calories, exercise and H20
Start Date: 9/23/13
Whenever I stall/gain, I force myself to start tracking EVERYTHING again. I wish I did it all the time, but life happens. Even though I stay within the "allowed" foods for induction, it's surprising how much those carbs can really add up. It may also be an issue of sodium, too much causing you to retain water. Just some ideas..
JessHas3Cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /148 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
No idea where the sodium might be coming from?? I cook my own meat from raw and don't add any. I only have 1 glass of water with electrolytes (MIO) so can't imagine that could be the problem?? I thought I was fine eating at Red Lobster, only lobster, shrimp and crab, nothing breaded, until I found out the "Ultimate Feast" was a staggering 3600 mg of sodium IN ONE MEAL!!!! OMG, how is that even possible. That's almost 2 days worth of sodium in one damn meal. Well, I guess that's the end of that "carb free" meal. How disappointing!
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JessHas3Cuties
Stats: 312.4/292.0/180 (5'9")
WOE: Low Carb, counting calories, exercise and H20
Start Date: 9/23/13
I would try counting everything and keep your eye on the sodium and see if that helps. I think women retain water so much easier than men At least I know I do. With low carb it's easy for all the salt to really add up over the course of a day.
JessHas3Cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vinny
Measure yourself also. Water weight fluctuates but sometimes you're losing inches but not pounds. I know it's weird but it happened to me last time I did this. Now it's just the opposite for me. Down 12lbs but don't notice any difference in looks. No Bueno.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fish_On
Stats: 282/270/225
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/30/2013
I too feel like there is no visual change at times. What I can tell you is stay committed, and remind yourself why this important to you. Daily strides to get healthy is a very positive thing, so while the scale may be the same on the inside your building the endurance for everything ahead, eventually the scale catches up.
Fish_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
Remember to eat plenty of fat and drink lots of water. Butter, coco oil, evoo, full fat meat, avocados, etc.

Mio has sucralose and acesulfame potassium, which added to all your water could cause you to stall.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Honestly, I would suggest cutting out everything except your meat, eggs, cheese, and healthy fats. Keep it simple and very basic.

Eat when you're hungry and eat until you're not. Drink your water, but you don't have to drown yourself in it.

After the first couple of weeks, weight loss does slow down and it's not a linear process. You will sometimes go weeks at a time without losing, and maybe even gain, but that's ok. As long as your overall trend is down, then it's working.

As you get comfortable with this way of eating, and you're losing, slowly add other foods back in, such as veggies, and see what happens.

This way of eating absolutely does work, just give it time and be persistent, patient, and consistent.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Osomir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuezdai View Post
Hi,
This is my first post here. I've been doing low-carb, though not super strict, since the first week in September. Depending on the day, I've lost between 0 and 7 lbs....it fluctuates and that in itself is frustrating. I've taken pictures and my stomach *seems* flatter but my pants aren't any looser.

I got serious about induction about 10 days ago. I cut out all processed "junk" like atkins shakes and bars and my occasional cheat glass of wine. I'm counting my cheese ounces (4 oz/day) and measuring my 2 loosely packed cups of salad a day. I switched my creaming 1 carb dressing for plain oil and vinegar. I switched from half and half to whipping cream in my coffee and I measure it. I've stopped eating tomatoes. I am doing it by the book.

And I am not losing.

I really believe in this way of eating and am committed to it. But, I need to see some change in my body.

BTW I am 5 foot 7 1/2 inches and around 180. My typical weight pre-second-kid (two years ago) was 170. With my height and build, I am most comfortable somewhere in the 150's. I'm 37.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Susan
I had that problem once and I soon discovered that caffeine has a weight loss stopping effect on me as can sucralose and artificial sweeteners. Perhaps try cutting out coffee from your diet? I also can't do diet soda, it really seems to stagnate my weight loss.

I didn't see any indication of how you weigh yourself either. It is pretty important to weigh yourself at the same time of day every day since your weight fluctuates a lot during the day. I weigh myself only in the mornings for consistency and more accurate readings in body weight changes.

Last edited by Osomir; 10-24-2013 at 06:48 PM..
Osomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Susan, we are the same height. I also felt I had stalled out. I lost so much weight the first week and then nothing into the third week. There was some measurement changes the beginning of the second week but nothing after that. But I have kept with my Induction diet, no cheating as I believe that is counterproductive. This is a lifestyle change for me and I am not going to allow cheat days - why would I? Now I am on a losing trend again. My body just needed adjustment time.

I have several suggestion/recommendations for my grain of salt:

Use a ketosis calculator to get a good idea of what your macros should be daily.

Find out what your body frame is by measuring your elbow. Here's a page to show you how. After you know it, you can scroll up and it will show recommended guidelines for your weight.

Follow the program to a tee, don't stray. There are so many delicious recipes you really shouldn't feel the need to do something different. Tomatoes are probably a big no-no for you. So stay away from them.

Drink water and lot of it. At least the 8x8.

Don't just weigh yourself, measure yourself at upper arm, bust, under bust, waist, stomach, hips, upper thigh. Always measure and weigh yourself the same way, same time, same scale, same clothes or lack thereof. But don't let the weight on the scale be your only thought on how you are doing.

Changes in how you feel, how much energy you have, all make a difference and let you know you are succeeding. Also your body could be adding in muscle at times and you may even gain because muscle weighs more. Look at this article about image change on one woman who weighs the same but how different she looks after getting healthier. It was a real eye-opener for me, and helped me see how scales do NOT show the body changes we experience.

Give it three weeks, of doing the same thing. If after three weeks you are not losing weight or inches, then change one thing - up your fat, decrease your carbs, etc. But only change one thing, then give it another three weeks. Continue and repeat.

The most important thing - Don't Give Up! Everyone's body is different and this way of eating allows you to get to know your body better and what works for it. Don't rush it. It is a process but once you have it figured out, you will become a healthier you.

Also, when you have imo under 35# to lose, it takes longer to lose weight because there just isn't that much water weight to lose. Your body takes longer to burn off the fat; it doesn't happen overnight like it seems to do when losing water weight.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote