Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 267/229.2/190
WOE: 2-5 carbs per day
Start Date: 10/21/13
Amber: Way to stay focused over the weekend. Glad to hear. I agree with you on exercise, studies may show that it does not expedite weight loss, apparently I was not in that study!!! LOL Also happy to hear you are doing the exercise thing also. We got this, this time we will succeed!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
I've started hitting the gym after around one month and -20 pounds on Atkins back in February, and after the huge initial losses, my weight loss had slowed down ridiculously. I'm not sure wether it's because of the exercise and the fact that muscle weighs more than fat and all that or because it was bound to slow down sooner or later, but yeah, that's what I found.

I went back on Atkins around a month and a half ago and lost 10 pounds. I've been hitting the gym ever since I started Atkins again, doing cardio and weights. I'm pretty happy with that, except for the fact that there's no sure way to expedite belly fat loss. You just have to sit back and wait for it to melt away.

Anyway, sorry to butt in, just thought I'd share my 2 cents.
straphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Straphe: No worries about the butt in. I value each opinion on this subject. I may not be expediting belly fat loss, that is where I keep most of my fat being a guy. I think that I lose a pound a day of pure fat because I put in 1-2 hours 4-6 days a week in the gym. And I am not just walking on the treadmill, I am busting my hump burning between 800 and 1600 calories each visit depending on time and I find it super hard to believe that it has absolutely nothing to do with my weight loss.(and I use a heart rate monitor and a watch to calculate calorie burn) I will agree with out a doubt the last part that comes off my fat body is my fat gut!!! LOL I hate that but that is just life. Glad we are here to support each other. And It makes me happy knowing you are doing the greatest WOE out there.

Just FYI:

For my golden shot as it is called, the first time I did this WOE I lost 60 pounds in about 75 days and barely exercised at all. The next time I did Atkins a couple of years later I was losing barely 2 pounds a week. I got off my butt and started exercising and bam off the weight came like some one was spraying me with a water hose. And it has been that way every since. If I diet and stay on the couch I can expect to lose 2 pounds a week tops, if I exercise about a pound a day. That is the math I use. Just wish I could figure out a way to stay on plan for a lifetime. Oh well such is life.

The nice thing also is that you can just do nothing but eat right on this plan and you will lose weight that is also fact.

Sorry so long winded just got back from the gym for the first big workout in months and I feel awesome!!!

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Hello??? Anybody still here???
Old 10-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2012
I wish I had those results with exercise, Kemp. Even with a decent amount of exercise, I tend to lose 2-3 per week. But I believe it helps me shape up, firm up, etc. better than the alternative.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Amber: Your are doing great at that loss per week. I mean those losses are better than most on other diets that's for sure, and you get to eat like a king!!!!

I think my complete abstinence from caffeine helps a lot also. I drink nothing but water period. I do the workouts for better health and to firm up and build some fat burning muscle. I know people have said that exercise has no bearing on expediting weight loss and you know what they may be right. But eating only 3 carbs a day and only eating all natural, meaning no bars, no SF jello, or any fake sugar, no caffeine, working out on average 1.5 hours 4-6 days a week. All that combined is a recipe for quicker weight loss in this simple minded person. Or you could get out your abacus divide your square root of fat milligrams by the grams of protein to the ninth power of your calories divided by the met value of your breathing and that seams to work also. LOL For me I only count carbs as Atkins has said to do, I keep up with calories just to make sure I am getting enough considering my workouts. I am very lucky to be in a position to do that right now. Once my new job starts the exercise my get dinged some and I expect my weight loss to slow then.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 2012
Kemp - Do you drink coffee at all? I'm super happy with the foods I'm consuming and my speed of loss. Of course I want to speed it up, and I think I would if I could just reign in those pesky calories. With LC, I can overeat so easily. I just loooooove the food. But even with my higher calorie days, I'm still losing. I definitely can't complain. Having said that, I do think I want to try giving up sugar substitutes. I get those in my morning coffee and my afternoon diet soda. I may try that after this next week passes. I have some big stuff coming up and may want to break the addiction after the festivities.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Amber: I understand that for sure. I have heard caffeine can slow weight loss as can sugar substitutes. So I just do not use them. Now when I go from drinking a double espresso every morning and a few big gulp cokes during the day to nothing it sucks complete and total ass. I mean it sucks. But after a week of feeling groggy and down and cravings and headaches etc. My energy is right back where it was when I was drinking all that stuff. I have also heard that the fake sugar can sometimes act like real sugar in certain people which will slow weight loss. It can also increase hunger too. All of this I am sure you have heard before. I know that you have to count each sugar packet as one carb. You do three or four a day that adds up over the week. You are losing at a great pace. Enjoy it we are in this for the long haul. Once I get down in the 220's I plan on adding back in fake sugars certain items like ice cream and other things. I will be here for you if you want to break that addiction to caffeine. It ain't easy and for some reason as soon as I go off plan the first thing I do is drink a regular coke then go to starbucks!!!! LOL
Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post
I've been on the induction phase for just over 10 months (started mid dec. 2012) and it has become my lifestyle. I knew that i'd be on induction for an extended period of time due to how much i need to lose (200+), but not thinking about when i can be done with induction and just accepting that this is my current station in life has been really helpful. I've lost 110 lbs. so far, with plans to lose another 100 more, and i'm convinced that staying steadfast with the induction is what i need to get me there. Slow and steady will win this race!
Jeffrey:

Thank you!!! You have given me the boost I needed. You are inspiring and I'm very proud of you. I know if you can do this struggle, so can I.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
well, this past week was not good... was dog/house sitting and ate some bad carbs and did not get to my WA for three days... and did not do my walking DBD... just do not know what was wrong with me just out of sorts..... but back on track... and down a few pounds from the ones I gained this week....so that is a good thing....

hope the everyone has a good day and weekend....
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Pawelys: It happens, It happens to all of us all the time. Just part of the game. I am glad you came right back, proud of you for that. Just keep coming back and the pounds will keep coming off.

I had a big night out last night myself. Mother in law in town from VA, so we went out to dinner. Not a steak house as I had hopped but good enough. I ate clams while they plowed through the bread bowl and fried appetizer. Clams are a treat because they are heavy with carbs. But worth it. I also had a few bites of spinach and kale sauteed in butter. But the Steak was what it was all a bout. A well cooked 16oz rib-eye and I still lost a pound!!! Have a good weekend guys.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Hello everyone!!! I'm an inductioneer for the long term as well - i've been on induction since restarting (seriously) last spring. I am a long long term low carber -- ever since the beginning. I just let things like low carb "ice cream" creep in. Now I'm thin, aiming at being just a little thinner, and induction works great for me. Well, my caveat is induction plus light beer (miller lite or mich ultra) or wine. Being able to have a glass or two in the evening helps me stay totally strict with everything else I put in my mouth.

Ntombi is right about exercise -- but exercise is GOOD for you. and weight training WILL keep your muscles from atrophying. AND if you really go overboard and burn more calories than you ingest, yes, you will lose weight. But, Kemp, I'd like to ask you how you gain the weight back. Do you stop exercising? Eat more of the same foods? Eat more of every food? Cause sometimes the amount of exercising you do seems insane and I can't imagine anyone being able to keep up that pace forever? I'm very curious to know and not making any judgments at all!
dq

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Dq: No worries at all. When I fall off plan, I do the same when on plan as off plan. Full speed in either direction!!! As you can tell when on plan no carbs, exercise a lot and lose a ton of weight. I do eat around 1800 calories a day on average so not low calorie at all. But when off plan even though I try to keep exercising it just stops also and therefore the weight comes back. I also eat high carb foods, fast food, ice cream and drink regular coke. So yes the weight comes back on full force.

However this time I am stacking a half marathon training on top of the diet and weight training. It is three months away and I have to keep training no matter what if I want to do this marathon thing. So with that in mind, I hope when I slip the running will bring me right back into the fold. I have to do something, this yo-yoing is going to kill me one day.

I usually just diet for 60 days with good intentions to keep going but it just seems to never stick, this time I am not being crazy anal about the scale, I just want to get healthy and lose some pounds and run a 1/2 marathon end of January and then a full marathon 1.5 months later. That's the plan.

I I know that Ntombi is right, but at the levels I exercise, it does expedite weight loss with out a doubt for me. I enjoy my workouts a ton. I am pissed I cant workout today because you have to rest your muscles at some point. All is well....stay focused.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

so then my next question is-- once the marathon is over, will you fall back into the high carb lifestyle again? cause - well, for one thing - why not drink diet coke instead of regular coke - all the time? For me, I have to make my brain do what I want it to do. So my brain keeps me from craving chocolate, for instance. or ice cream or pumpkin pie, or whatever. I just don't care about those things any more. Same for fast food. why not train your brain so that you just don't care about fast food? I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but wouldn't it make sense to figure out a way in which you can live every day on some sort of sensible plan? I know - i hate the word sensible too, but living extremes is a sure way to cut down on your longevity.
dq
Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

kemp - your dinner sounds - I love fish and seafood... did not know that clams were high carb... thanks for the info...... next weekend going to Longhorn restaurant for a steak... do not eat steak a lot.... but do love it.... rare or med rare.... and there is a steak there that I love.... so looking forward to it.. plus there is one that comes with lobster.... I may get that dinner...

DQ - - wonderful on your getting to goal and wanting to get a bit more off..... may I reach that some day soon.....
I have triggers... so no bread in house (I love toast) no peanut butter (just adore pb) and no ice cream.... but I can deal with that... and I know that one day I will be able to have these items... just not all the time.....

Proud Grandma to Kyle and Derek - the loves of my life.... granddaughter Abigail (Abby)

May today there be peace within you. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

DQ: I hear you. I am going to try this time to use substitutes for my high carb cravings. I am a food addicted fool for sure. It is not that I crave them, it is I remember how awesome they taste!!! LOL But I am also trying to remember how bad they make me feel. After the marathon I plan on keeping in running shape by starting triathlete type races. And you will never offend me so your advice is always welcome. I may argue a point but it is just that a discussion. Glad we can have them.

Pawleys; Enjoy the longhorn. I eat my steak the same med rare to rare depending on the cut. Clams are not super high, just high for me. 12 have about 3-5 carbs. That is a lot when you only eat 5 a day. So are scallops and oysters. Oysters have about a carb each. Keep on keeping on and lets lose some weight.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #77
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/288.2/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Almost all shellfish has carbs, just FYI.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

ok - down to 274.9 today.... not really where I wanted to be but having my past bad carb week - but on track again.

my goals this week - eat clean..... do my WA..... do my walking DVD.... want to really up my exercise this week and with eating clean... see what I can do...so I have to be strong this week.... and not be tempted by bad carbs

hope everyone has a great week..... and hope that you reset your clocks last evening....
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Great Kemp - glad you feel that way. I like being a devil's advocate sometimes, too.
It was great to get an extra hour of sleep.
I was down today - to 135.5 whee! these skinny jeans are skinny! maybe i'll take a photo for yall
dq
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

DQ - that is great...... you are almost there... me.... I have a long road to go yet.......
Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

DQ: Nice drop and you are almost there. Keep it up.

Pawleys: You can do it... avoid the bad carbs and lose the weight. I know you can do it!!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

did my WA early this morning... my sister did not go toay.. and I worked really hard.... (I always work harder if I go alone)

will do my walking DVD later this afternoon....

had a great breakfast...
eggs - bacon - sausage - hot tea
L - will have some tilapia and mixed veggies.
S - will have a turkey pattie w/parm cheese HWC sauce - mashed cauliflower and some radishes and cucumbers....

and I will NOT eat after 7pm at all... just water or hot tea.... that can be my downfall..... eating after 7pm... just not a good thing for me..... but I have been really doing better the last few weeks....
Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Pawleys: Awesome job on getting in the WA. I eat all day long even after 7. Just make sure that it is not carby. I see a few people who limit there eating after a certain time of day, why do they do that???
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't limit the times I eat either. If I'm hungry, I eat, even if it's right before bedtime. But I make sure I'm honestly hungry, not just in the mood for a nosh.

Some people find that if they eat after dinner, it's because of habit, not hunger.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /156 / 143
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
[QUOTE=k I see a few people who limit there eating after a certain time of day, why do they do that???[/QUOTE]

Hi Kemp....... well, I don't eat after 6pm cause I thought that was a no-no. It's a good idea when you think about it cause we're talking about 14-15 hours without food so I guess on Atkin's that's not a bad idea??? I've always read it's not good to eat after 7pm'ish. I worry though I might have a hard time eating breakfast if I'm not very hungry. Hmm... food for thought.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Got it. I usually am not hungry late, and if I have to have something I usually do a pickle, low calorie for sure. I usually have to force breakfast down, but mid day is tough for me constantly hungry mid day. I think my heavy workouts may be the reason.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Well, something to consider. Are many people eating/snacking mid evening?? I had a 2 lb weight gain this weekend with no conceivable reason? Very perplexing, I must say. I have been treating myself the last several weeks with a few tbsp's of whipped cream (okay, maybe 10). Is that a bad thing????
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

It's really a personal thing. IMO, if you're hungry, eat. If you're not sure of you're hungry or feeling snacky, you're probably not hungry, so don't eat.

I tend to eat twice a day, just because that's my natural rhythm nowadays, but there are days when I eat three meals and a snack, because it's a hungry day, or maybe only one meal and a snack, because I wasn't in the mood for much and just needed to get some protein in. Often, I find it I'm having a hungry day, it's followed by a scale loss. That's with the "extra" food. So I don't worry about it.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

I eat when hungry, and follow ntombi's advice. Make sure it is hunger. If I think I am hungry and go to the fridge and just stare then I know it is just a craving not real hunger so I do not eat. I do however eat all day long. I snack in the car, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. With snacks after each. I guess I buy into the whole keep the metabolism going thing. I also drink a casein shake right before bed pretty much every night to help my muscles and metabolism work over night. I do not know the science behind it, but it seems to work for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, so no worries about eating ANYTIME you feel honest hunger. Got it. What about the whipped cream? Is a few tbsp's in the evening okay (I know, not 10!!!) I just do it for a little sweet fix.