Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
Why I went on Atkins

My blood sugar was discovered to be 286 on my Sis' blood sugar meter. I have stayed on Induction perfectly and this is so cool because not only do I enjoy my meals, my blood sugar as of tonight is 121 without medication!!!!
I don't know how much I have lost but I do know that first week was -6 lbs and 13 lbs in 13 weeks before that on Weight Watchers.
The only sad part is that the Atkins bars increase my blood sugars so I have to throw boxes of them out. I understand the shakes shouldn't impact anything so I'll drink one at bedtime and see how I do.
Just like to share the good stuff. My clothes are looser but I went to the store and still not dropped a size but I am patient, it will happen.
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
Good for you!! My only suggestion would be to stay away from all of the processed crap out there. It seems that the "Atkins" products are some of the worst in terms of being processed. Just look at the ingredients and you'll probably find that you can't pronounce half of the ingredients.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Awesome!! I Totally agree with Cfine, i'd stay away from the processed junk. I eat a LC bar every once in awhile and while it doesn't seem to affect my BS or weight it Does kill my stomach.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
Start Date: 9/20/13
I tried a shake last night. I know my blood sugar in the morning is always highest of the day. So yesterday morning it was 150. I did an experiment and drank a 2 net carb shake as a bedtime snack knowing my blood sugar before bed was 121.
This morning my blood sugar was 157. Not a huge difference but 7 points isn't a good idea. Tonight I am going to be working night shift, in fact I work the weekend 12 hour nights. After that I have 3 days off. I realize I need some kind of protein to trick my liver to stop increasing my blood sugar at night. Crazy but this is what is happening and it's called Dawn's Syndrome. Many obese people have this and aren't aware of this until all Hell breaks loose with full blown Diabetes. This is why I am such an advocate with low carb the healthy way.
Those bars are being metabolized similar to candy bars. My body doesn't do well with these bars sadly. I don't feel the effects but my blood sugar meter shows that this is an uh oh moment. I have boxes of these bars, all different kinds that fit into the day perfectly yet I know they're absolutely not making sense for me. My blood sugars have been up to 33 points higher in the morning from a bar eaten at night once a day. Take the bar out if the day and the results are very impressive.
I love you people. You care so much about these posts. I am so grateful for your responses back to my post!
Thank you!!!
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
NurseChef
Quote:
I love you people. You care so much about these posts. I am so grateful for your responses back to my post!
Thank you!!!
So True!! I love coming here, even if I only read. I learn so much, from such nice people who really care.

Good luck to you NurseChef
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I find that if I really need a snack at night, a little protein and fat does the trick AND it doesn't wreck my BS in the morning.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evertd
Stats: 238.5/232.5/180
Start Date: 09/10/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseChef View Post
My blood sugar was discovered to be 286 on my Sis' blood sugar meter. I have stayed on Induction perfectly and this is so cool because not only do I enjoy my meals, my blood sugar as of tonight is 121 without medication!!!!
Excellent! Good for you!

I can attest to the same experience. From over 200 to averaging in the low 100s in less than a month.

I would also stay away from Atkins bars and shakes unless nothing else is available. I carry some bars with me for in case, but try not to eat more than 1 a week. I travel for work, so occasionally they help in a tough spot.

But the meals seem to be pretty good. The ingredients all look like REAL food items and they are pretty tasty (although fairly expensive).
evertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hairmuch
Stats: 188/188/155
Start Date: October 22, 2013
I agree. I have had Atkins bars send me OFF of ketosis. + eating candy bar type foods is part of the reason I gained all of this weight.
hairmuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fish_On
Stats: 282/270/225
Start Date: 9/30/2013
Good news on the low blood sugar! Keep it going, patience is good!
Fish_On is offline   Reply With Quote